Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    New 2022 Mercedes C-Class revealed. With such a classy interior, who needs an E-Class?
    The 2022 all-new version of the Mercedes C-Class has been revealed, packed with technology and a completely redesigned interior.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVYCXA5eqJM
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited March 2021
    ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

I would 100% not abide by that rule.

The last place my dad owned in Florida before he passed away was one of those 55+ setups. We could only go there if he was in residence. As for how the overseers would know, it wasn't hard. All of the neighbors were willing to rat you out if you transgressed.
    Watch out for the "little old ladies in pants." They are great gossipers.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

One guy I know of booked a private jet from Toronto to Florida, about 2 1/2 hour flight, cost $24000 and he could take 6. This guy can well afford it. He would take 2 other couples and split the cost....or not.

Back in 1982 I went to Florida with one of my brothers, his wife and their 3 kids. They stayed 2 weeks but I was only good for the first week. My flight back from Tampa to Halifax was on an Air Canada DC-8, my first and last time on that aircraft type. I remember there were a total of 12 passengers aboard. It was like having your own private jet. The flight attendants would sit down across the aisle and chat at length to pass the time.
    I flew from Chicago to DC one day on the last flight of the day. Just me and one other passenger on a 767.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited March 2021
    Yes I’m sure people will rat you out. They aren’t going to do squat about it except send you a letter informing you that you “did a bad thing”

Shred the letter and do it again next year when they want to use the place.

HOA’s don’t have the resources to sue you/enforce the rules. They can’t throw you out of a property you own and pay taxes to the township.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

bwia said:

New 2022 Mercedes C-Class revealed. With such a classy interior, who needs an E-Class?
    The 2022 all-new version of the Mercedes C-Class has been revealed, packed with technology and a completely redesigned interior.

Very sharp. It does look narrow to me, but it could just be the camera.

tjc78 said:

Yes I’m sure people will rat you out. They aren’t going to do squat about it except send you a letter informing you that you “did a bad thing”

HOA’s don’t have the resources to sue you/enforce the rules. They can’t throw you out of a property you own and pay taxes to the township.

Yeah, you go right ahead and keep thinking that.

edited March 2021

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

tjc78 said:

My HOA enforces all rules and regs including traffic tickets for speeders (over 25 mph) and those who don’t obey stop signs. Not enough liability or condo insurance - fine issued. Very restrictive. Don’t pay your utilities - fine! We have over 6,000 people living here!

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I like the seats in that MB. other than that, IMO the interior is hideous.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

My HOA enforces all rules and regs including traffic tickets for speeders (over 25 mph) and those who don’t obey stop signs. Not enough liability or condo insurance - fine issued. Very restrictive. Don’t pay your utilities - fine! We have over 6,000 people living here!
    You basically live in a self contained community. That’s a big difference from a 50 or 100 unit over 55 community.

tjc78 said:

A typical smallish (not one like Mike’s which is basically a small gov’t) has little to no power over you. They can fine you, place a lien on you home and drag you into a legal matter at most. At the end of the day there isn’t squat they can do if you break a small rule about visitors once a year.

The amount of legal money they would have to fork out to foreclose a lien is way beyond their abilities. Many of them are so poorly run they can’t even properly manage money to fix major issues without borrowing it and then raising dues.

You really think a judge is going to allow them to foreclose a 200K+ home for a few hundred in fines? Obviously this would come up at settlement if they try and sell but that’s a different matter.

No way you are getting thrown out of your home for a minor infraction, especially not a chronic one.

tjc78 said:

abacomike said:

tjc78 said:

You basically live in a self contained community. That’s a big difference from a 50 or 100 unit over 55 community.
    Maybe but the HOA can enforce rules and can make life difficult for people. There are many horror stories about out of control HOA's going berserk.

T is thinking about smaller communities by us, and non-retirement. I have an HOA but I doesn’t do much.

But places like mentioned in Fla from what I’ve heard are way different. Much stricter, with activist level residents.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

one good thing about buying into a 55+ when you are just a little over the age limit. It should mean that you have a nice long run there ahead of you. At least assuming you want to actually stay in the area when you retire in a few years. And once you are expecting to be somewhere for say 20 years, there really shouldn't be much worry about paying a little extra on the front end. Different story if you are planning to dump the place in 3 years and move to Fla!

Many 55+ places have age restrictions on who can visit without a 55+ principle being in attendance. My BIL has a second place in Florida and his kids couldn’t visit on their own. Only if one of the parents went too. It became inconvenient.
    How would they know? Would someone report them? HOAs are powerless.... you think they would take them to court or fine them and attempt to collect.

You’re kidding, right? A place filled with old people with little to do but mind each other’s business? Once when we were using the BIL’s place my son dropped a cigarette butt in the bushes. We were approached at the pool with a warning never to do that again. I don’t know about HOAs but if you sign some agreement when you buy in a condo community I imagine they could sue you for breach of contract.

I’ve heard some HOA horror stories. Just one more thing to consider before you plunk down the big green.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited March 2021
    bwia said:

That’s nice but it looks a bit cramped. Speaking of cramped, I was at a dealer the other day and they had a C8 Corvette in the showroom. Talk about cramped. I wonder if I could ever get comfortable in one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    tjc78 said:

Very sharp. It does look narrow to me, but it could just be the camera.

Funny that you mention that. I was considering the C-class in 2014 before I got my previous ATS. I sat in one of the new models at the local M-B showroom and found exactly that. It just seemed a bit snug compared to the ATS.

The dashboard looks like the flight deck of the Starship Enterprise. I guess they heard some complaints about the circular vents in the more recent M-Bs, so they invented a new shape.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

one good thing about buying into a 55+ when you are just a little over the age limit. It should mean that you have a nice long run there ahead of you. At least assuming you want to actually stay in the area when you retire in a few years. And once you are expecting to be somewhere for say 20 years, there really shouldn't be much worry about paying a little extra on the front end. Different story if you are planning to dump the place in 3 years and move to Fla!

Many 55+ places have age restrictions on who can visit without a 55+ principle being in attendance. My BIL has a second place in Florida and his kids couldn’t visit on their own. Only if one of the parents went too. It became inconvenient.
    How would they know? Would someone report them? HOAs are powerless.... you think they would take them to court or fine them and attempt to collect.

I totally agree. I’d beg (not really) forgiveness before I’d ask for permission. Hell, even the IRS lets you cheat a little.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Looks like the condo is sold; all cash buyer, no contingencies. 103.5% of asking price. I'm lucky, I did well on both the buy and sell. (in fact, I believe I paid the lowest price for a 2/2 in the complex, and my sales price may be the highest. At least to this date!).
    Off to sign the P & S on the 401k emptying Plymouth condo on Saturday.

And, car-related, I need state inspection sticker. Hopefully it will pass even with the false trunk/hood open warnings. I'm gonna take it to my Jag dealer, I think they'll work with me to get it passed. And, maybe check out the '21 XF while I'm there.

Big 'Grats on the condo selling. Good luck on the Jag inspection.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    What's the drivetrain on that new C Class? That's what I'd be mostly interested in.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Seems like we all disagree a little on HOAs. Yes they can fine and enforce rules. That’s a fact. My point is for minor infractions, most don’t have the resources to drag you into courts (if the state will even hear the case) and/or place liens on your property. Some states don’t allow that either for breaking rules, only for missed dues.

If I owned a property I wouldn’t think twice of allowing it to be used for a short time. First off, you have to caught, second they would most likely have to warn you first before a fine and third you could fight the fine for any number of reasons. How could they dispute you were just sending someone down to check on your investment?

What's the drivetrain on that new C Class? That's what I'd be mostly interested in.

255 HP turbo 4 with electric boost.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    abacomike said:

I have a colleague/friend who owns a prop plane (Cessna something). He says it’s like a boat. If you’re going to own one, better be ready to keep a high 5 figure maintenance bank account liquid, because you’ll spend it to keep it in good operation.

A plane isn’t something you want to skimp on when it comes to operation and maintenance.

While I quit traveling for over a year now, I had a really good source for air travel when it wan’t cross country.

https://ultimateairshuttle.com/airports/lunken-airport-luk/

They’ve suspended operations because of COVID, but they were almost like having a private jet when I needed to go to their destinations at a moment’s notice. Plus, I could walk from my car to the tarmac onto the plane in 10 minutes....be wheels up in 20 minutes from my arrival.

When I was living in Palm Desert, I was a part owner of a Beechcraft King Air 350 twin turbo prop aircraft. We had it at PSP (Palm Springs). We had 10 investor/owners for the aircraft and it cost me $1000 a month just for maintenance, hangar and fuel. My investment was $100,000 when we purchased it new.

When I moved to Los Angeles, I sold my share to the other 9 owners. I had use of the King Air 3-4 days a month and truly enjoyed the plane. Great range, tremendous power and excellent cruising speed. Quite frankly, I truly miss flying - but not the costs involved.

Mike, I swear, you’re a real live Forrest Gump.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The dieseling effect that plagued my Buick Lacrosse turned out to be a waterpump issue. Preliminary cost to remedy the problem, $984. Ouch!
    bwia said:

The dieseling effect that plagued my Buick Lacrosse turned out to be a waterpump issue. Preliminary cost to remedy the problem, $984. Ouch!

Sounds like you’re going to the wrong grease monkey.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    bwia said:

Ouch is right, sounds a bit high.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    bwia said:

I like that C Class and that would be first car on my list to check out if I was buying. I got the E for the Florida trip, since we probably won't be driving there I don't need the larger E. Besides, the C Class has a sportier feel to it. I like the seats a lot, I like the digital speedo etc, I wish they had incorporated the other screen into the dash more......but, at least it is clear.

I am a little ambivalent about buying any new car though. For one thing I only have 26000 miles on the E. But, more importantly, auto makers are turning more to electric cars, so could I take a big hit if I bought a gasser. But, I understand electric cars are also risky, you could get stuck with a beta-max model with all the changing technology - longer lasting batteries, better performance, lower prices etc. etc.

Probably a good time to sit out or lease. I heard people are leasing more for these reasons....mainly the unknown.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

bwia said:

That’s pretty steep seeing that it’s not an internal water pump. Did they replace the timing chain while they were in there?

stickguy said:

I can see two sides to this rule.
    We have had responsible adult children use a condo in our community and so far it has worked out fine. BUT, if irresponsible children take over and the place becomes party central then that could upset people, especially seniors. I tend to think, the rule is probably a good one, and if it doesn't seem suitable, then the people should buy a detached house.

bwia said:

So it’s running hot due to bad circulation causing the fan to stay running to cool off the engine.

One of us suggested (imid I think) that the car was running hot.

Price is on the high end but that can’t be a fun job on that transverse big V6. Not a lot of room in there.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

HOAs can fine you, and if you don't pay, they can foreclose on your unit. Happens here all the time. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

They can do more than that if it’s in the bylaws you signed an accepted when you bought the place.

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

We have had responsible adult children use a condo in our community and so far it has worked out fine. BUT, if irresponsible children take over and the place becomes party central then that could upset people, especially seniors. I tend to think, the rule is probably a good one, and if it doesn't seem suitable, then the people should buy a detached house.
    At first I wasn’t sure if I could abide by those restrictions but then I realized that not everyone’s kids would be responsible. Having those restrictions might prevent you from being woken up at midnight by a meth head revving his motorcycle in his living room.

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

HOAs can fine you, and if you don't pay, they can foreclose on your unit. Happens here all the time. ;)
    Foreclose for how much debt/time? There are limitations to that. Most states it has to be over 12 months old and over a dollar threshold. It’s also typically limited to assessments and dues, not fines.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    edited March 2021
    I think ICE will be around for a long time, but EVs are about to get really trendy.

The touchscreens of the new MBUX layouts bug me a bit - fingerprints will be everywhere. I don't know how redundant the controls are, I hope things can be operated without the screen.

MB needs to bring back some old designs, and use new age powertrains - give me this lineup, please (I believe this is ~1983):

Or these (~1986):

driver100 said:

I like that C Class and that would be first car on my list to check out if I was buying. I got the E for the Florida trip, since we probably won't be driving there I don't need the larger E. Besides, the C Class has a sportier feel to it. I like the seats a lot, I like the digital speedo etc, I wish they had incorporated the other screen into the dash more......but, at least it is clear.

I am a little ambivalent about buying any new car though. For one thing I only have 26000 miles on the E. But, more importantly, auto makers are turning more to electric cars, so could I take a big hit if I bought a gasser. But, I understand electric cars are also risky, you could get stuck with a beta-max model with all the changing technology - longer lasting batteries, better performance, lower prices etc. etc.

Probably a good time to sit out or lease. I heard people are leasing more for these reasons....mainly the unknown.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I can't stand finger prints or smudges either. I keep a soft micro-fiber cloth handy. Even with the fairly basic touch screen for the nav/audio in the Passat I find that I have to be deliberate in what I touch to achieve my selection. The redundant controls on the steering wheel are a help as is the separate volume and tuning knob on the unit. Screens that are totally touch without any hard controls will not be my friend.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

At first I wasn’t sure if I could abide by those restrictions but then I realized that not everyone’s kids would be responsible. Having those restrictions might prevent you from being woken up at midnight by a meth head revving his motorcycle in his living room.
    For example, a couple in our community - 76 one story units, bought their place with the plan to rent it out short term. The first guys to rent it had it for 3 days, they swam in the pool all night, yelled and shouted, left beer cans all over the place. Now we have a new rule, rentals have to be at least 3 months long, and you need permission from the board. Those could have been someone's kids. If you love your freedom and don't want to live with others then you should not be in a community condo setting.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

Foreclose for how much debt/time? There are limitations to that. Most states it has to be over 12 months old and over a dollar threshold. It’s also typically limited to assessments and dues, not fines.
    Where I live, they auction off unpaid property tax bills. I see foreclosures for as little as $3000.
    Same for HOAs, though usually, that is for non-payment of HOA fees/dues.

But, really... why would you buy a condo where you don't want to live by the restrictions?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

fintail said:

I think ICE will be around for a long time, but EVs are about to get really trendy.

The touchscreens of the new MBUX layouts bug me a bit - fingerprints will be everywhere. I don't know how redundant the controls are, I hope things can be operated without the screen.

MB needs to bring back some old designs, and use new age powertrains - give me this lineup, please (I believe this is ~1983):

Or these (~1986):

driver100 said:

Glad you gave the year.....this is one of my favorites....mainly because of the squarish look, the large windows, and I really like the curvature of the trunk and rear fenders; (I think they used that until 1994)

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    sda said:

I can't stand finger prints or smudges either. I keep a soft micro-fiber cloth handy. Even with the fairly basic touch screen for the nav/audio in the Passat I find that I have to be deliberate in what I touch to achieve my selection. The redundant controls on the steering wheel are a help as is the separate volume and tuning knob on the unit. Screens that are totally touch without any hard controls will not be my friend.

That and piano black trim.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

Where I live, they auction off unpaid property tax bills. I see foreclosures for as little as $3000.
    Same for HOAs, though usually, that is for non-payment of HOA fees/dues.

But, really... why would you buy a condo where you don't want to live by the restrictions?
    I wouldn’t... it was inferred earlier today that if you break a rule you’ll be thrown out. My point is that it takes quite a bit to have an HOA foreclose on your home for fines (from breaking rules) if it’s even permitted in your state.

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Or these (~1986):

driver100 said:

Glad you gave the year.....this is one of my favorites....mainly because of the squarish look, the large windows, and I really like the curvature of the trunk and rear fenders; (I think they used that until 1994)

I leased a 1991 MB 300E for 60 months and loved the car. But in comparison to the 2020 E Class in terms of quality, ride and handling, comfort and interior refinements, it’s like comparing apples with oranges. Of course, you could probably say that about BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Or these (~1986):

driver100 said:

I leased a 1991 MB 300E for 60 months and loved the car. But in comparison to the 2020 E Class in terms of quality, ride and handling, comfort and interior refinements, it’s like comparing apples with oranges. Of course, you could probably say that about BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc.
    In 1991 I had a 1988 Chev Corsica, followed by a 1992 Cavalier...........even our 2014 C250 in Florida is 1000X better than those cars. But, that 90s vintage of MBs sure did look nice....I like the one shown more than the new ones for looks.

pensfan83 said:

sda said:

That and piano black trim.
    I’ll bet piano black trim would have been the cats meow on that black ‘15 Altima rental I had when Mrs. j’s 2012 Subie was in the shop having the right front fender replaced.

jmonroe
    edited March 2021
    That's one thing I like about the 2017-20 E (not sure how it is in the facelift, haven't played with one) - the ability to have a big cool looking widescreen display, but it isn't a touchscreen. Some journos complain about MB ICE complexity, but once it is learned, it is effectively muscle memory. No fingerprint issues, although I do wipe down the switchgear and buttons every couple weeks just because of OCD.
    sda said:

That's the W124 E-class, sold here for MY 1986-95. The one in your pic is the final facelift, 1994-95.
    driver100 said:

Comparing car price inflation to inflation of many things, these modern models are bargains. The old ones may have more aesthetic charm, but the new ones are easier to live with.
    abacomike said:

fintail said:

Comparing car price inflation to inflation of many things, these modern models are bargains. The old ones may have more aesthetic charm, but the new ones are easier to live with.

abacomike said:

My 1991 300E had an MSRP of $42,500. That was 30 years ago. Today you can get an E350 with an MSRP of $55,000. As you mentioned, those 1991 E Class sedans were quite expensive in comparison to today’s E Class.

2021 Genesis G90

168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake pistons. May be a line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

Cobalt was a $2000 car as folks on the Trade-in value forums said. And apparently
    there is a big market at the level. My 2008 was bought up despite its warts with
    needing some brake service at $1800. I was waiting for the bidding war the posts
    here kept talking about, but then I remembered that dealt with houses and not cars. LOL

Actually I'd have been happy at $1500 and higher.

Big stress was getting wheels balanced and rotated on the Michelin Defender tires.
    Wheels in previous location had been smooth riding, but needed rotating.
    First try was not good. So they redid Wednesday. Car was parked in driveway that afternoon
    with window signs and sold before dark for cash.

I don't see how some folks can repeatedly sell cars by themselves. Maybe it's a
    learned skill. I had my pecking order of things to try from talking to service manager
    at local dealership and to one of the workers we know there to locate a car lot
    or person who buys and fixes to the local bottom end car lots and wrecking yards
    with lots of cars they salvage in front of their buildings and last was Goodwill.
    (Or maybe Cars for Kids--remember that tune?)

@imidazol97 Congratulations and that sounds like a good amount to get for that car. There isn't much available at the $2000 mark that is going to run for awhile, and if someone is handy they could keep it going and get a few miles out of it.

I once heard that putting a sign on a car on your property did not work too well.....I have no idea personally. Did you try anything else at the same time.

What was the original cost of the 2008....it sounds like you got your moneys worth from it?

Remember today is nation grammar day.

So yous guys be doing them better grammar ok.