Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    corvette said:
    Hard to make a YT video the required 10 minute length to get monetization if you go around doing that, though! :p

It's been my understanding, verified by some of the articles citing the point, that premium fuel may actually hae less energy in it than regular. One of the articles was Road and Track.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a18008/premium-fuel-futures/

The difference is in the mixture of hydrocarbons and the branching along with the exact compounds and additives. The mix is tailored to give a slower burn and to have less sensitivity to preignition during high compression rates and/or to hot spots within the cylinder due to carbon.

Even the R&T article tries to make some physico-chemical points that I think are not supported.

Edmunds has an article by Joseph Kavaugh that is well done.
    https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited March 2021
    @nyccarguy does CT have a mileage exemption for emissions tests? PA exempts cars that are required to have the test if they accrue under 5,000 miles in a 12 month period no matter their age.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    @nyccarguy,
    My Mustang last got tested when it was 24 years old, as emission testing is done every 2 years.
    It never came close to failing.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited March 2021

@nyccarguy,
    My Mustang last got tested when it was 24 years old, as emission testing is done every 2 years.

Those 5.0s don’t have much to go wrong in the emissions department. If the O2 sensor and MAP sensor are in range usually they are fine. If they aren’t they will default and run rich.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

Fortunately Kentucky has no emissions testing- especially since the highly restrictive catalytic converter on my M6 fell off in the garage one Saturday.

Obviously a manufacturer defect. A lot of guys I knew with Mustangs had that happen to them as well.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

Fortunately Kentucky has no emissions testing- especially since the highly restrictive catalytic converter on my M6 fell off in the garage one Saturday.

I’m sure it was that legendary 80s build quality cars had and had nothing to do with the restrictive emissions standards.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

@nyccarguy,
    I used to have to find an emissions testing location with working rollers for my Mustang since it is pre OBD2.
    At least registration renewal can be done online.

I seem to remember my 84’ Corvette had an easy time with the annual inspection. Those old cars couldn’t talk to the state computers so they were exempt. I think the fee was only $10 as compared to $21 for anything after 1995.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:
    Hard to make a YT video the required 10 minute length to get monetization if you go around doing that, though! :p
    It's been my understanding, verified by some of the articles citing the point, that premium fuel may actually hae less energy in it than regular. One of the articles was Road and Track.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a18008/premium-fuel-futures/

The difference is in the mixture of hydrocarbons and the branching along with the exact compounds and additives. The mix is tailored to give a slower burn and to have less sensitivity to preignition during high compression rates and/or to hot spots within the cylinder due to carbon.

Even the R&T article tries to make some physico-chemical points that I think are not supported.

Edmunds has an article by Joseph Kavaugh that is well done.
    https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

I think the bottom line is premium has greater resistance to pre detonation and that’s the only difference worth considering. If you car doesn’t require it you’re wasting your money, which currently is getting up to 50 cents a gallon between RUG and PUG.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

Those 5.0s don’t have much to go wrong in the emissions department. If the O2 sensor and MAP sensor are in range usually they are fine. If they aren’t they will default and run rich.
    I was lucky that the old Corvette was exempt because that stupid Crossfire fuel injection ran rich as Rockefeller.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

I was lucky that the old Corvette was exempt because that stupid Crossfire fuel injection ran rich as Rockefeller.
    One of the YT mechanics (Car Wizard, maybe) showed how that system worked and the common fail point. It actually is pretty simple once you understand it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Just renewed the wagon, roughly pocket change over $100 B)

I can relate to this, too, @dad23. Crazy fees in western WA.

Even happened to my mom's big 70s T-Bird. One of my earlier car memories, very early 80s, is of my dad working on it, hood up, parts in front of it. I later learned he "de-smogged" it.
    au1994 said:

Obviously a manufacturer defect. A lot of guys I knew with Mustangs had that happen to them as well.

fintail said:

Even happened to my mom's big 70s T-Bird. One of my earlier car memories, very early 80s, is of my dad working on it, hood up, parts in front of it. I later learned he "de-smogged" it.

au1994 said:

De-smogged it?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy,

One of the YT mechanics (Car Wizard, maybe) showed how that system worked and the common fail point. It actually is pretty simple once you understand it.
    That was the Weezard. He’s even putting it on the jag V12 going into his 65 Malibu!

The old Volvo carbs (SUs I think) were similar. Very simple but if you didn’t know what you were doing, easy to screw up. But when set right, really good carbs.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I’ve never cared for throttle body injection systems- I’d probably be just as happy with a properly dialed-in Quadrajet. If I go with FI I want either port or direct injection.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2021
    I remember when I was older, he told me what he did to it - something with the PCV system and maybe smog pump (I think it was just pre-cat).

Car lasted until 1985, when it suffered either a timing chain or transmission issue, and dad decided to cut it loose, as those dinosaurs had depreciated to almost nothing by then - mom was sad as she loved the car, but it wasn't feasible to complete a massive repair, as the car was aging fast. Mom's next car, a Tempo, actually had a longer life.

De-smogged it?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Camaro supposedly arriving first thing in them morn. Somehow, I always wind up with Russian transporters. What is up with that?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Putin is done test driving it? Don't worry they reset the odomoter. :D
    qbrozen said:

Camaro supposedly arriving first thing in them morn. Somehow, I always wind up with Russian transporters. What is up with that?

At least they keep the polar bears off your car. :o

qbrozen said:

The guy who brought me the Land Cruiser was Russian. He was subcontracted by the firm I originally hired. He wanted to be paid immediately, not the original firm. Luckily he took Venmo and I did not pay the other firm.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    All of my transporters in the last 12 months have been Russian, too.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I got my first dose on the 27th of February and get the second on March 29th... I hope I'm out of the walking boot and cane well before then.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    Nova Scotia has botched the entire vaccine task, partly due to its own actions, partly due to the Feds. Since the USA is keeping all vaccine manufactured there for now the Feds are trying to get it from other countries and shipments have been spotty. What has arrived is divided up province by province according to population with some exceptions (residents of the far North, and First Nations). What's provided to the provinces is up to them to manage. We have a very doctrinaire Chief Public Health czar and in his infinite wisdom he came up with a plan to inoculate health care workers first, then employ an age-based approach for the remainder, ignoring any other risk factors. It has all gone very slowly and less than half of the doses received have been used because he is holding them back for the booster shot. We are now just getting through the first age bracket of those 80+ years of age. My brother is in the next bracket of those in their 70s and he doesn't expect to receive his until April.

The kicker here this week was that we got offered 13,000 doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine which is supposed to be less effective but still useful. He didn't want to take them because the idea of a less robust vaccine didn't fit his age-based model. Public, media, and political outrage led him to rapidly flip-flop. So now those will be offered first come, first serve to anyone over age 25, by pharmacies to whom it is being distributed. I can only imagine the havoc that will happen in those spots.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited March 2021
    My parents have been trying to get in with various clinics through the county and through their pharmacy. No dice so far but I expect they'll have better luck closer to the end of the month. Apparently the state's initial shipment of the J&J vaccine will be administered to education professionals should they want it.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    We go for our 2nd Pfizer shots next week. So glad we're getting this out of the way!
    Our electrical problem turned out to be a bad wire so after almost 3 hours and $702.00 later, all is well again. Guess after almost 34 years, sh-t happens but all is well now. Good thing because I'm starting to turn my attention to getting an EV vehicle going forward since my driving habits have taken an almost 180 degree turn. It just might make sense to have one of the vehicles an EV going forward. And the Chevy Bolt is the perfect size to fit in the garage. Would like to have one with at least a range of 300 miles as if I go over 50 miles a week, I'm lucky. Everywhere I usually go is within 5 to 8 miles from the house, so it could work. Will also depends on the federal rebates plus anything the state might kick in. Getting to drive that Tesla a few months back was actually kind of fun, the learning curve was almost instantaneous as if I hadn't reacted like I did, the guy coming up on my rear would've been in for a big surprise!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Has anyone heard why the prices of petrol have risen so sharply this past month or so? I paid $2.49 last week with my discount at Cumberland Farms and today, I'd be paying $2.59. Haven't found anything in the internet news as to why the sudden spike in prices. EV vehicles really seem to be the wave of the future as long as the the states can locate an adequate amount of charging facilities to meet the probable demand that is anticipated.
    I'm finally at the point where I'd definitely get one if all the variables fall into place. Tired of being at the mercy of petrol prices changing as often as they do. But then, we'll have to deal with the power companies...a never ending cycle it seems! But, we're addicted to our different modes of transportation and that's one thing that ain't going away. It was hard staying home at the start of the pandemic, and now, folks just want to get out and go! But, we have to be smart here and not go back as quickly as some would like...need to do it in moderation folks, moderation is the key here. And please, do not read anything political into what I'm saying here. Too many innocent folks have passed and we owe it to them to not return to what life used to be too soon.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

My wife found an appointment yesterday morning and got her first shot in the afternoon.
    Also got the 2nd shot scheduled while getting the first shot. Just luck, really.
    I'll be done with my medication next week and have a couple of follow up tests the week after.
    Then I'll look for a shot.
    A smaller, cheaper EV (bolt or leaf or Kona type) won’t come close to 300 miles range. More like 1/2 that realistically before needing a charge. But that still covers you around town for quite a while.

Gas? Stated reasons are winter to summer blend switch, and the weather in the gulf taking refineries and shipping off line. Real reason is probably, because they could.

The previous Bolt was rated for 270 miles and I read the new one uses the same battery tech.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    corvette said:

I got my first dose on the 27th of February and get the second on March 29th... I hope I'm out of the walking boot and cane well before then.

Moderna?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My wife found an appointment yesterday morning and got her first shot in the afternoon.
    Also got the 2nd shot scheduled while getting the first shot. Just luck, really.
    I'll be done with my medication next week and have a couple of follow up tests the week after.

In NJ they don’t let you leave without scheduling your 2nd shot. A nice process. That mega site was a well oiled machine. Very impressed.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

In NJ they don’t let you leave without scheduling your 2nd shot. A nice process. That mega site was a well oiled machine. Very impressed.
    Local hospital does the mass vaccination site, near here.
    I think they were doing about 64 jabs per hour when we were there. Looks like they are set up to do twice that, if they had the vaccine supply.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

I think they were doing about 64 jabs per hour when we were there. Looks like they are set up to do twice that, if they had the vaccine supply.
    Colorado seems to be mis-managing their vaccine roll out.

Wife was eligible as she works in a child care center. Can't seem to get an appointment, anywhere.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited March 2021
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Moderna?
    Yes. The pharmacist at Walgreens was telling someone else that they still had some Pfizer left over from the nursing home clinics they did, but were mostly using Moderna now. He also said he was giving 20 shots per day, at his location, which I'm guessing is similar across all their locations.

I am really looking forward to a road trip, although I won't be going to Omaha this year. Buffett said they plan to resume in-person annual meetings in 2022, and also, this year, they are televising the meeting from California so that Munger can be there. I think Munger is too frail to travel.
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Moderna?
    Yes. The pharmacist at Walgreens was telling someone else that they still had some Pfizer left over from the nursing home clinics they did, but were mostly using Moderna now. He also said he was giving 20 shots per day, at his location, which I'm guessing is similar across all their locations.
    Yeah, it seems Pfizer (which I got) is mostly reserved for mass vaccine sites. I would have been happy to get the one shot J&J, if I knew it would happen this month, but couldn't pass this one up, as I just became eligible on March 1st.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Our mega sites are run by a hospital too. You use their my chart website feature to register and schedule. Really efficient, and cuts the government out of the process (probably why it worked so well). Anyone trying to go through the state interface finds it to be a mess. Direct to the site was easy.

stickguy said:

Our mega sites are run by a hospital too. You use their my chart website feature to register and schedule. Really efficient, and cuts the government out of the process (probably why it worked so well). Anyone trying to go through the state interface finds it to be a mess. Direct to the site was easy.

Same here.. MyChart app made it simple

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Colorado seems to be mis-managing their vaccine roll out.

Wife was eligible as she works in a child care center. Can't seem to get an appointment, anywhere.
    Some is disorganization but it seems that majority of problems are related to lack of supply. Fix that and delivery will catch up quickly.

Woo Hoo!!!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I like the wheel design. I'll reserve judgment, until I see how shiny they are.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    YAY!
    Impressions asap, please?
    - Ray
    Bet it is a hoot to drive!
    2022 X3 M40i
    Man, I like it so far!! Wouldn’t it be funny if he falls in love and thins the herd??

Today’s link from my son was a 2007 Cayman S. 6 speed. Gorgeous dark blue over beige. Probably going to eat you alive based on description. Definitely enthusiast owned, with short shift, exhaust, tunes and coil overs (from what I recall). Oh, and recently replaced engine with a used one. A couple warning lights on, they “think” related to some LED light upgrade (something like that). Basically everything you don’t want in a used Porsche. Especially if you have zero DIY capacity for it, and aren’t independently wealthy.

stickguy said:

Today’s link from my son was a 2007 Cayman S. 6 speed. Gorgeous dark blue over beige. Probably going to eat you alive based on description. Definitely enthusiast owned, with short shift, exhaust, tunes and coil overs (from what I recall). Oh, and recently replaced engine with a used one. A couple warning lights on, they “think” related to some LED light upgrade (something like that). Basically everything you don’t want in a used Porsche. Especially if you have zero DIY capacity for it, and aren’t independently wealthy.

@28firefighter says you want the 2009-2014 model (six cylinder, plus no IMS issues)

Good luck finding one, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator