Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    A little of the topic, but what like thoughts on hurricane windows with or without argon gas.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

Seems like we all disagree a little on HOAs. Yes they can fine and enforce rules. That’s a fact. My point is for minor infractions, most don’t have the resources to drag you into courts (if the state will even hear the case) and/or place liens on your property. Some states don’t allow that either for breaking rules, only for missed dues.

If I owned a property I wouldn’t think twice of allowing it to be used for a short time. First off, you have to caught, second they would most likely have to warn you first before a fine and third you could fight the fine for any number of reasons. How could they dispute you were just sending someone down to check on your investment?

That’s what I did. I had the advantage of being the first and only owner of my current house, and actually had it built as the cul-de-sac was still under development when I bought my lot.

The street’s original occupants all got together and we came up with our own HOA rules. But, those rules were to control how, what, when and where certain things could be done to the property.

The HOA was due to expire after 10 years. It did, without us renewing its terms. But, at that point, the homes and our property were all “settled”.

There hasn’t been a need for HOA rules since. We had some money left over, as there were rotating HOA managers in that 10 years. As a result, we took the left over HOA monies and closed down the street for a party every year.

That money is gone, but we still throw the party every year and kick in some green backs for street closure, tents, catering, usually a musical performer or band. It’s a grand time, actually. Perfect way to meet any new neighbors and say farewell to those who are leaving.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited March 2021
    tjc78 said:

bwia said:

The dieseling effect that plagued my Buick Lacrosse turned out to be a waterpump issue. Preliminary cost to remedy the problem, $984. Ouch!

So it’s running hot due to bad circulation causing the fan to stay running to cool off the engine.

One of us suggested (imid I think) that the car was running hot.

Price is on the high end but that can’t be a fun job on that transverse big V6. Not a lot of room in there.
    Yes @imid was right. The engine was running hot but for some reason it did not display a warning light nor throw a code.

Since I'm ignorant about these so I'm not sure whether the thermostat was replaced as well.
    With that said, the final bill was $936 which included $298 for the waterpump, coolant, $21, trunk switch $28 and 3.75 hours of labor @$149 per hour.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Labor cost per hour has really increased in the past few years. It wasn't long ago they were less than $100/hr. My local Honda dealer is now around $130/hr.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    driver100 said:

@imidazol97 Congratulations and that sounds like a good amount to get for that car. There isn't much available at the $2000 mark that is going to run for awhile, and if someone is handy they could keep it going and get a few miles out of it.

I once heard that putting a sign on a car on your property did not work too well.....I have no idea personally. Did you try anything else at the same time.

What was the original cost of the 2008....it sounds like you got your moneys worth from it?

I may find the paperwork on it eventually. I think it was about $11k with taxes. It was a 1-year old ex lease vehicle. Showed as rental from Long Island based on the phone number assigned by OnStar. But it had had a sign in the rear window with tape so I believe someone tried to sell it before turning it in.

It had fog lights, rear air dam, controls in the steering wheel and side air bags, which I don't believe were standard on all models. It was 2LT with the LT2 option package on top. Missing was heated seats, power seats, and leather which I think was available. I never saw that on any.

Car served well with a few failure points.

There are many Cobalts bouncing around this area and a few of the older ones are showing rocker panel rust. Mine was rinsed off underneath during the winter after a major salt and slush event. I'm a mile from the car wash and I spent most of my quarters spraying underneath and maybe 1/3 spraying the pretty side with the paint. The fuel line in front of the tank rusted, but that's because some idiot engineer put a covering over the outside. I don't think my rinse spraying in would flush the salt mist and powder that went inside the covering.

I had told my son we could give it to Goodwill--it owed us nothing. We got good value out of it.

But those that said $2000 was a good mark for value sales were right.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited March 2021
    I was watching The Wheel of Fortune last night. The one man on the contestant group said that he liked pickleball. The host gave a facial expression like surprise and didn't pursue with a question or a comment.
    I assume he knew there actually was a sport by that name.

But his reaction almost was like Steve Harvey's when he's making an obscene connection to something that's said on Family Feud, without actually saying the connection because of FCC compliance. But on Feud that doesn't seem to slow them down much during the episodes I've watched. It is on after Wheel, so sometimes I continue resting and watch.

Son has had a comment on the operation of his toyota Venza hybrid. He's had it Eco mode mostly, and it really resists accelerating at a good rate in that mode. I don't know if it pops up red flashing signs on the 12" display screen or what. I told him he needs to drive it in the other modes for a time; he may not want to use Eco for his commute driving.

I don't know if that counts as a negative yet or not. I know my leSabre resisted shifting down from 4th lockup converter to 3rd all for economy sake.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake pistons. May be a line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

Cobalt was a $2000 car as folks on the Trade-in value forums said. And apparently
    there is a big market at the level. My 2008 was bought up despite its warts with
    needing some brake service at $1800. I was waiting for the bidding war the posts
    here kept talking about, but then I remembered that dealt with houses and not cars. LOL

Actually I'd have been happy at $1500 and higher.

Big stress was getting wheels balanced and rotated on the Michelin Defender tires.
    Wheels in previous location had been smooth riding, but needed rotating.
    First try was not good. So they redid Wednesday. Car was parked in driveway that afternoon
    with window signs and sold before dark for cash.

I don't see how some folks can repeatedly sell cars by themselves. Maybe it's a
    learned skill. I had my pecking order of things to try from talking to service manager
    at local dealership and to one of the workers we know there to locate a car lot
    or person who buys and fixes to the local bottom end car lots and wrecking yards
    with lots of cars they salvage in front of their buildings and last was Goodwill.
    (Or maybe Cars for Kids--remember that tune?)

I don’t get that ad, since when do kids need cars? They need bikes. That’s what’s made kids soft today. Time to get them some exercise. What ever happened to the good old days? :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Remember today is nation grammar day.

So yous guys be doing them better grammar ok.

I’ll bet that ain’t gonna happen in here.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Price looks good but financing for $203 a month? Yeah with $12k down and a 8 year loan.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

I was watching The Wheel of Fortune last night. The one man on the contestant group said that he liked pickleball. The host gave a facial expression like surprise and didn't pursue with a question or a comment.

I went to a walk in clinic awhile ago and the doctor asked what I do...I said play pickleball. He couldn't stop laughing and he went around to all the staff and asked them if they ever heard of pickleball.
    In case anyone doesn't know and is curious....90 seconds;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLRRNOpe8U

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Remember today is nation grammar day.

So yous guys be doing them better grammar ok.

Yeh, be good to your grammar, and grammpah too!

tjc78 said:

Seems like we all disagree a little on HOAs. Yes they can fine and enforce rules. That’s a fact. My point is for minor infractions, most don’t have the resources to drag you into courts (if the state will even hear the case) and/or place liens on your property. Some states don’t allow that either for breaking rules, only for missed dues.

If I owned a property I wouldn’t think twice of allowing it to be used for a short time. First off, you have to caught, second they would most likely have to warn you first before a fine and third you could fight the fine for any number of reasons. How could they dispute you were just sending someone down to check on your investment?

That’s what I did. I had the advantage of being the first and only owner of my current house, and actually had it built as the cul-de-sac was still under development when I bought my lot.

The street’s original occupants all got together and we came up with our own HOA rules. But, those rules were to control how, what, when and where certain things could be done to the property.

The HOA was due to expire after 10 years. It did, without us renewing its terms. But, at that point, the homes and our property were all “settled”.

There hasn’t been a need for HOA rules since. We had some money left over, as there were rotating HOA managers in that 10 years. As a result, we took the left over HOA monies and closed down the street for a party every year.

That money is gone, but we still throw the party every year and kick in some green backs for street closure, tents, catering, usually a musical performer or band. It’s a grand time, actually. Perfect way to meet any new neighbors and say farewell to those who are leaving.
    Good thing you guys let your old HOA expire. New folks enacting another HOA would have frowned on frivolity like that. Yeah, block parties are another thing that has disappeared today. Back to the good old days I say.

jmonroe

Son has had a comment on the operation of his toyota Venza hybrid. He's had it Eco mode mostly, and it really resists accelerating at a good rate in that mode. I don't know if it pops up red flashing signs on the 12" display screen or what. I told him he needs to drive it in the other modes for a time; he may not want to use Eco for his commute driving.

I don't know if that counts as a negative yet or not. I know my leSabre resisted shifting down from 4th lockup converter to 3rd all for economy sake.

Mrs. j’s ‘18 Legacy Limited 6 cylinder doesn’t have an ECO mode that I’m aware of but my ‘15 Genny V8 does. I guarantee you that ECO light bulb ain’t never going to burn out in that car.

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    driver100 said:

I went to a walk in clinic awhile ago and the doctor asked what I do...I said play pickleball. He couldn't stop laughing and he went around to all the staff and asked them if they ever heard of pickleball.

You'd think that since it has been around since 1965 they could have come up with a better name by now. :o

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited March 2021
    driver100 said:

I never heard of it until you mentioned (a long time ago) that you play it. I had to Google it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I never heard of it until you mentioned (a long time ago) that you play it. I had to Google it.
    I always thought that Pickleball was a dance that Buddy Sorrells wife hosted.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You'd think that since it has been around since 1965 they could have come up with a better name by now. :o

Yeh, it's too bad it got stuck with that name. One story goes that the guys dog chased the ball and his name (the dogs) was Pickles. It started in 1965 but it took awhile to refine it and get the word out....but, once people found out about it and tried it the game caught on like wildfire....especially for seniors since you can play at almost any level.

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

But everyone in Florida knows about it.......and the snowbirds come home and demand courts up North.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited March 2021
    To me the ECO setting on my cars is only good for bumper-to-bumper traffic where there is little to no movement with any expediency or for circling for a spot in a parking lot.
    mlevine said:

A little of the topic, but what like thoughts on hurricane windows with or without argon gas.

From what I was told by my late middle brother who lived in Delray Beach, hurricane windows are built using thicker glass which seems to get thicker all the time due to building codes in Fl. As for argon gas, they have bet using that in double pane windows for decades now since it helps with thermal efficiency. I doubt you’d be able to find windows today without argon gas but if you could I have believe they are low end units.

FWIW, the @jmonroe1 homestead will be getting new windows in April. They will be triple pane jobs with argon gas of course. My youngest brother who lives in the adjoining town got these same window a few years ago and is very happy with them. They are not from one of the big recognizable companies but the look pretty well build from what I can see and I especially like the quality of the installation.

jmonroe
    Oddly enough, despite the cold climate here, triple-pane windows seem as rare as hen's teeth. I know I would like them if only for their sound-dampening properties, but of course they are also much more energy-efficient.

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I always thought it was created by H. J. Heinz Co. Not by some frustrated tennis player’s boneheaded dog.

jmonroe
    carnaught said:

To me the ECO setting on my cars is only good for bumper-to-bumper traffic where there is little to no movement with any expediency or for circling for a spot in a parking lot.

I have one very long light I sometimes have to wait for....and if I go to one place I could get a long train, when I am close to those places I put eco back on really quick......otherwise I don't like it.

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I am looking at a few companies for windows. I had a few windows installed and front door. Terrible job with windows not fitting well and front door uneven. I found out the company subcontracted the job to an auto glass company. What a joke. The consensus is to have argon in the windows.
    driver100 said:

carnaught said:

I have one very long light I sometimes have to wait for....and if I go to one place I could get a long train, when I am close to those places I put eco back on really quick......otherwise I don't like it.
    Really. How much gas can you save doing that? Is it even worth hitting the button for that?

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    The mainstream sedans seem to have inflated by ~50% over 30 years. I recall when the W140 was launched in late 1991, a 500 SEL was around 85K USD. An equivalent car is ~120K now, relatively, a bargain. I just wish I could get housing, healthcare, tuition, fuel, many food items, etc with a mere 50% increase.
    abacomike said:

My 1991 300E had an MSRP of $42,500. That was 30 years ago. Today you can get an E350 with an MSRP of $55,000. As you mentioned, those 1991 E Class sedans were quite expensive in comparison to today’s E Class.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I always thought it was created by H. J. Heinz Co. Not by some frustrated tennis player’s boneheaded dog.

jmonroe
    Wouldn’t that have been called relishball?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    lol...........first to get to 57 wins!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    What’s ECO mode? :D

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited March 2021
    Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    NO. They’re much better known for their pickles rather than their relish. Of course they’re most well known for their Ketchup but with that name they wouldn’t have gotten to first base. Oops, wrong sport.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

For those of you that don’t follow CCBA, it looks like my son is going to pick up a CPO 2017 330e. It’s a PHEV that not only has the standard BMW Sport/Comfort/Eco Pro modes, but also has three modes for the hybrid drivetrain. It’s unusually well equipped- a Sport Line with CWP, H-K, Premium Pkg, Professional Navigation...
    I wouldn’t mind driving it myself.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    NO. They’re much better known for their pickles rather than their relish. Of course they’re most well known for their Ketchup but with that name they wouldn’t have gotten to first base. Oops, wrong sport.

jmonroe

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I have a few of those lying around somewhere. I hope they become valuable some day. The grandkids will appreciate it, I’m sure. ;)

jmonroe
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

I have a few of those lying around somewhere. I hope they become valuable some day. The grandkids will appreciate it, I’m sure. ;)

jmonroe
    You can still buy them at the History Center. 50 cents each.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I always found it curious how Heinz was HQed in the Burgh. Didn't think it was a location near to anywhere that grew lots of tomatoes and cucumbers.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    mlevine said:

I am looking at a few companies for windows. I had a few windows installed and front door. Terrible job with windows not fitting well and front door uneven. I found out the company subcontracted the job to an auto glass company. What a joke. There consensus is to have argon in the windows.

In my Caribbean home (St Lucia) both my doors and windows are trpple pane but without argon gas though.

One thing I know for sure is that the glass is tough. It withstood the last hurricane without even a crack. The glass bent but it didn't break. I didn't know that glass is pliable. Everything is water tight. The glass was manufactured by a local Chinese firm. They did everything themselves including rebuilding the door and window frames and install the glass to the highest available standards. Nothing was subcontracted. It cost more but that is the only way they can guarantee their work.
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    You can still buy them at the History Center. 50 cents each.
    That’s a lot of money for a little damn pickle like that. I remember when I was a kid in grade school living in the Burgh, they were free. Ever since Kraft bought them they’ve turned into a bunch of thieves. :@

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

I always found it curious how Heinz was HQed in the Burgh. Didn't think it was a location near to anywhere that grew lots of tomatoes and cucumbers.

Like I said above, when I was a kid in grade school, I lived in the Burgh. Every Spring we went on a few field trips and one of those was to the Heinz factory on the North Side of the Burgh. The school was only a block from where the street car (remember those?) pick us up and off to Heinz we went for the tour. I can still remember the trains (more than one) with countless open box cars filled with tomatoes waiting to be unloaded so they could be crushed to make Ketchup and soup. Never saw any pickle box cars but on those field trips is when Heinz gave us those free pickle pins. I don’t know if the city schools even do field trips anymore. Yet another thing kids probably don’t do today. Might be because of a legal thing.

jmonroe

For those of you that don’t follow CCBA, it looks like my son is going to pick up a CPO 2017 330e. It’s a PHEV that not only has the standard BMW Sport/Comfort/Eco Pro modes, but also has three modes for the hybrid drivetrain. It’s unusually well equipped- a Sport Line with CWP, H-K, Premium Pkg, Professional Navigation...
    What's "Professional Navigation", is that something different than "Dumb - - - Navigation?

driver100 said:

What's "Professional Navigation", is that something different than "Dumb - - - Navigation?

It’s probably “registered” to the owner. :p

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

It yells the directions at the driver in a Hollywood war movie German accent. "Dummkopf!! Turn right at zee bridge NOW!!!" :D

Unprofessional Navigation is probably more like;
    "Hey man, just hang a left then cruise for about a block, then look for a 7-11, get a Big Slurpy and then cruise for another block until you see the joint you're looking for".

driver100 said:

Unprofessional Navigation is probably more like;
    "Hey man, just hang a left then cruise for about a block, then look for a 7-11, get a Big Slurpy and then cruise for another block until you see the joint you're looking for".

That sounds just like my wannabes NAV system. :o

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

No it's navigation that lost it's amateur status.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

It yells the directions at the driver in a Hollywood war movie German accent. "Dummkopf!! Turn right at zee bridge NOW!!!" :D
    My first GPS was a Tom Tom and you could download voices. I downloaded John Cleese and it would insult you in a way that only John Cleese could if you missed a one of it's directions.

edited March 2021

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

My first GPS was a Tom Tom and you could download voices. I downloaded John Cleese and it would insult you in a way that only John Cleese could if you missed a one of it's directions.
    One of my early ones sounded like a school teacher with a very angry voice.........Recalculating........I told you to turn right back there, now you have to go around the block you idiot! I always thought it would be nice to have a choice, maybe a nice French accent.