Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited March 2021
    Professional Navigation has the large display screen and iDrive touchpad. Business Navigation has a smaller screen and no touchpad. Business Nav is standard in the F30 330e so Professional Nav is a significant upgrade. I certainly didn’t expect driver to know anything about it but I’m disappointed with the rest of you. B)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    BMW also has the "Executive Package".

I think I'd order a car with the "entry level package" and "amateur" navigation.
    driver100 said:

What's "Professional Navigation", is that something different than "Dumb - - - Navigation?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Executive package adds a front facing camera and some other goodies.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

What's "Professional Navigation", is that something different than "Dumb - - - Navigation?

It yells the directions at the driver in a Hollywood war movie German accent. "Dummkopf!! Turn right at zee bridge NOW!!!" :D
    My first GPS was a Tom Tom and you could download voices. I downloaded John Cleese and it would insult you in a way that only John Cleese could if you missed a one of it's directions.
    One of my early ones sounded like a school teacher with a very angry voice.........Recalculating........I told you to turn right back there, now you have to go around the block you idiot! I always thought it would be nice to have a choice, maybe a nice French accent.
    I had one with a French accent, it sat on the passenger seat and was a redhead. Man she drove me to drink and I didn't have the common courtesy to thank her.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    abacomike said:

fintail said:

Comparing car price inflation to inflation of many things, these modern models are bargains. The old ones may have more aesthetic charm, but the new ones are easier to live with.

abacomike said:

I leased a 1991 MB 300E for 60 months and loved the car. But in comparison to the 2020 E Class in terms of quality, ride and handling, comfort and interior refinements, it’s like comparing apples with oranges. Of course, you could probably say that about BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc.

My 1991 300E had an MSRP of $42,500. That was 30 years ago. Today you can get an E350 with an MSRP of $55,000. As you mentioned, those 1991 E Class sedans were quite expensive in comparison to today’s E Class.
    That’s an astounding price for 1991. My 95’ Lincoln Mark VIII had a MSRP of about $39k and they say that was overpriced. I can’t imagine too many had $42k floating around in 1991.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

Professional Navigation has the large display screen and iDrive touchpad. Business Navigation has a smaller screen. Business Nav is standard in the F30 330e so Professional Nav is a significant upgrade. I certainly didn’t expect driver to know anything about it but I’m disappointed with the rest of you. B)

If you signed up for the new Edmunds Visual Dues Package you’d see my head hanging in shame. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

168000 mi (us).
    It needed a new caliper about 3 years back when I put new pads on.
    It's dragging not releasing right warped brake rotor but not so bad that I got around to replacing it.
    Somewhere brake system is slowly seeping brake fluid. Can't find anything.
    May be rear drum brake pistons. May be a line. May be master cylinder. May be front caliper seeping.

Front radio speaker does not work. So no turn signal clicks.

Cobalt was a $2000 car as folks on the Trade-in value forums said. And apparently
    there is a big market at the level. My 2008 was bought up despite its warts with
    needing some brake service at $1800. I was waiting for the bidding war the posts
    here kept talking about, but then I remembered that dealt with houses and not cars. LOL

Actually I'd have been happy at $1500 and higher.

Big stress was getting wheels balanced and rotated on the Michelin Defender tires.
    Wheels in previous location had been smooth riding, but needed rotating.
    First try was not good. So they redid Wednesday. Car was parked in driveway that afternoon
    with window signs and sold before dark for cash.

I don't see how some folks can repeatedly sell cars by themselves. Maybe it's a
    learned skill. I had my pecking order of things to try from talking to service manager
    at local dealership and to one of the workers we know there to locate a car lot
    or person who buys and fixes to the local bottom end car lots and wrecking yards
    with lots of cars they salvage in front of their buildings and last was Goodwill.
    (Or maybe Cars for Kids--remember that tune?)

While I’ve tried selling on Craigslist I’ve had my best success with the sign out on the lawn. As I’ve said before there is a large demand for sub $5,000 cars. People are desperate for anything that moves and will overlook numerous problems. I’ve sold cars with rusted out frames and damaged engines all within a day. I always am fully transparent on known defects and it doesn’t matter. A car in that price range will always go fast.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I was watching The Wheel of Fortune last night. The one man on the contestant group said that he liked pickleball. The host gave a facial expression like surprise and didn't pursue with a question or a comment.
    I assume he knew there actually was a sport by that name.

I went to a walk in clinic awhile ago and the doctor asked what I do...I said play pickleball. He couldn't stop laughing and he went around to all the staff and asked them if they ever heard of pickleball.
    In case anyone doesn't know and is curious....90 seconds;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLRRNOpe8U

I never heard of it until you mentioned (a long time ago) that you play it. I had to Google it.
    I always thought that Pickleball was a dance that Buddy Sorrells wife hosted.
    I always thought it was created by H. J. Heinz Co. Not by some frustrated tennis player’s boneheaded dog.

jmonroe
    Wouldn’t that have been called relishball?
    NO. They’re much better known for their pickles rather than their relish. Of course they’re most well known for their Ketchup but with that name they wouldn’t have gotten to first base. Oops, wrong sport.

jmonroe

I have a few of those lying around somewhere. I hope they become valuable some day. The grandkids will appreciate it, I’m sure. ;)

jmonroe
    That looks like something a “damaged” Leprechaun might be looking for!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited March 2021
    mlevine said:

A little of the topic, but what like thoughts on hurricane windows with or without argon gas.

Good idea if you live in hurricane country or if your kids are into baseball.

sda said:

Labor cost per hour has really increased in the past few years. It wasn't long ago they were less than $100/hr. My local Honda dealer is now around $130/hr.

My indie guy is only $90/hr. And he gives me parts at cost since I have a “”fleet”.

driver100 said:

@imidazol97 Congratulations and that sounds like a good amount to get for that car. There isn't much available at the $2000 mark that is going to run for awhile, and if someone is handy they could keep it going and get a few miles out of it.

I once heard that putting a sign on a car on your property did not work too well.....I have no idea personally. Did you try anything else at the same time.

What was the original cost of the 2008....it sounds like you got your moneys worth from it?

I may find the paperwork on it eventually. I think it was about $11k with taxes. It was a 1-year old ex lease vehicle. Showed as rental from Long Island based on the phone number assigned by OnStar. But it had had a sign in the rear window with tape so I believe someone tried to sell it before turning it in.

It had fog lights, rear air dam, controls in the steering wheel and side air bags, which I don't believe were standard on all models. It was 2LT with the LT2 option package on top. Missing was heated seats, power seats, and leather which I think was available. I never saw that on any.

Car served well with a few failure points.

There are many Cobalts bouncing around this area and a few of the older ones are showing rocker panel rust. Mine was rinsed off underneath during the winter after a major salt and slush event. I'm a mile from the car wash and I spent most of my quarters spraying underneath and maybe 1/3 spraying the pretty side with the paint. The fuel line in front of the tank rusted, but that's because some idiot engineer put a covering over the outside. I don't think my rinse spraying in would flush the salt mist and powder that went inside the covering.

I had told my son we could give it to Goodwill--it owed us nothing. We got good value out of it.

But those that said $2000 was a good mark for value sales were right.

Some of us know the hooptie market well. :D

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I was watching The Wheel of Fortune last night. The one man on the contestant group said that he liked pickleball. The host gave a facial expression like surprise and didn't pursue with a question or a comment.

I went to a walk in clinic awhile ago and the doctor asked what I do...I said play pickleball. He couldn't stop laughing and he went around to all the staff and asked them if they ever heard of pickleball.

I never heard of it until you mentioned (a long time ago) that you play it. I had to Google it.
    I always thought it was created by H. J. Heinz Co. Not by some frustrated tennis player’s boneheaded dog.

jmonroe
    NO. They’re much better known for their pickles rather than their relish. Of course they’re most well known for their Ketchup but with that name they wouldn’t have gotten to first base. Oops, wrong sport.

jmonroe

I have a few of those lying around somewhere. I hope they become valuable some day. The grandkids will appreciate it, I’m sure. ;)

jmonroe
    You can still buy them at the History Center. 50 cents each.
    That’s a lot of money for a little damn pickle like that. I remember when I was a kid in grade school living in the Burgh, they were free. Ever since Kraft bought them they’ve turned into a bunch of thieves. :@

jmonroe
    Technically that’s a gherkin. $2.50@quart at the farmer’s market.

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    That’s a lot of money for a little damn pickle like that. I remember when I was a kid in grade school living in the Burgh, they were free. Ever since Kraft bought them they’ve turned into a bunch of thieves. :@

jmonroe
    50 cents each for a little thing like that is still pretty high. I’d buy a quart at the farmers market all day long but they’ll have to install a pin in it.

BTW, I think we’ve had a first here. I don’t remember pickles/gherkins ever getting posts in here. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe

jmonroe
    50 cents each for a little thing like that is still pretty high. I’d buy a quart at the farmers market all day long but they’ll have to install a pin in it.

BTW, I think we’ve had a first here. I don’t remember pickles/gherkins ever getting posts in here. :o

jmonroe
    Do any of the pickle makers sponsor pickleball tournaments, like the PGA golf shows on Sunday afternoons?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

You have to buy a package to get a front facing camera? Most manufacturers put in a windshield so you can see for free.

Not many have the ~65K needed for an equivalent car today. Then, as now, the answer is leasing.

I recall the 380 SEC upon introduction to the US market in 1982 was ~50K.

That’s an astounding price for 1991. My 95’ Lincoln Mark VIII had a MSRP of about $39k and they say that was overpriced. I can’t imagine too many had $42k floating around in 1991.

Do any of the pickle makers sponsor pickleball tournaments, like the PGA golf shows on Sunday afternoons?

I can see a great future for the Vlasic Pickleball Bowl from Florida on Sunday March 7, 2022 featuring Canadian teams vs US teams.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

I can see a great future for the Vlasic Pickleball Bowl from Florida on Sunday March 7, 2022 featuring Canadian teams vs US teams.

I think Claussen is sponsoring this year

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Nope the place to do it would be in southern Illinois at what remains of Pickle City.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @jmonroe ....yeah, we missed throwing a street party last year because of COVID. We’re tossing around revitalizing it this year, depending on how much of the street has received the COVID vaccine. If true, and the vaccine is available for everyone by May, we may do something like a July 4th street party, if everyone has been inoculated.

Somehow they think I’m going to organize the soirée.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081

Nope the place to do it would be in southern Illinois at what remains of Pickle City.
    There is a sleeper international squad likely to arrive from India, where the pickles sold by one of our major Canadian supermarket chains as their house brand are made. I am always uneasy eating pickles made in India but they are sure tasty!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    fintail said:

Not many have the ~65K needed for an equivalent car today. Then, as now, the answer is leasing.

I recall the 380 SEC upon introduction to the US market in 1982 was ~50K.

The luxury brands started making more popular priced cars so they could expand their base....even companies like Porsche have expanded their base. It works too because people get an entry level model and there is a better chance they will stay with the brand as they move up.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

tjc78 said:

So this is for real....I hope I can get it up here....I will be watching.

I wonder who will win the Gherkin Cup?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    MSRPs
    '87 BMW 325iS: $28K
    '92 Acura Legend: $32500
    '94 Acura Vigor: $29K

Current prices seem like a lot, but a relative bargain compared to 30 years ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2021
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

So this is for real....I hope I can get it up here....I will be watching.
    I think "Claussen Pickle Bowl" has a great ring to it.

They can modify a car like the weinermobile and have the picklemobile driving
    around for advertising.

Here's a picklebike to use for a starting point.

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

Current prices seem like a lot, but a relative bargain compared to 30 years ago.

Especially considering the vast amount of advances in technology/features.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Seems like we’re about due to circle back to dishwashers...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

LMAO... I was just typing to ask if @graphicguy got his new one installed and how he likes it.

You have to buy a package to get a front facing camera? Most manufacturers put in a windshield so you can see for free.
    It’s part of BMW’s Winter Package. It’s automatically enabled when it snows and your wipers stop working.

jmonroe
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

@jmonroe ....yeah, we missed throwing a street party last year because of COVID. We’re tossing around revitalizing it this year, depending on how much of the street has received the COVID vaccine. If true, and the vaccine is available for everyone by May, we may do something like a July 4th street party, if everyone has been inoculated.

Our neighborhood used to have a block party. It included about a 6 block area since there aren't many houses on a "block". One year the people who usually organized it, with some help, were busy with something (don't remember what) and couldn't do it. They did say whoever took the reins could still use their property. We never had another one.

My wife's family had a reunion every year. One year the younger group decided they would organize it for the following year. The oldsters finally agreed to let them do it. They never had another reunion.

There's a danger in letting it go - assuming you care about it.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited March 2021
    kyfdx said:

MSRPs

I couldn't believe it at first, but it does seem to be true. There is no BMW 325i today, but 330i has more power, more room, more standard "stuff" and it doesn't nearly 65 grand starting price, even with option. 340i that's another story, of course...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    dino001 said:

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

I couldn't believe it at first, but it does seem to be true.

That can't be right. None of the investments I made in '87 are up 130.3%!!!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The 2022 Bolt EUV is a very nice looking small SUV. It is available with GM's impressive Super Cruise hands-free driver-assistance package. Starting price, $33,995. Too bad the Federal Tax Credit is no longer available. On the other hand the EUV is carry over tech from 2017. The same front-wheel-drive powertrain—a single 201-hp electric motor and 65.0-kWh battery pack.

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

Couple of things, first what options do those cars have? if those are fully loaded then they are more in line with current prices if they are the base stripper model then todays prices are pretty good. The other thing is luxury items have elastic demand curves, this means that a drop in demand in response to a price increase is greater than the increase in price. This means that there is a strong resistance to price increases so their prices will more than likely increase slower than inflation.

What are more common cars like when you compare prices? I know adjusting for inflation you wont get a Mustang today for what I paid for my Mustang in 1982.

edited March 2021

dino001 said:

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

What did you invest in? Trump Casinos? :wink: S&P is up over 450 percent and that doesn't even include dividends, cashed or reinvested.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

tjc78 said:

LMAO... I was just typing to ask if @graphicguy got his new one installed and how he likes it.
    Well I have exclusive pictures of his new dishwasher.

jmonroe1 said:

It’s part of BMW’s Winter Package. It’s automatically enabled when it snows and your wipers stop working.

jmonroe
    Wait? Your wipers stop working when it snows? Most cars can wipe the snow off windows.

Also if the snow covers your windshield doesn't cover the camera lens?

Give me the NAV coordinates for your cul-de-sac. I should be fully inoculated by then. As proof of acceptance I’ll bring a couple bottles of Woodford Reserve. B)

jmonroe
    And move more metal - MB and BMW are like Ford in Chevy in terms of rivalry, and are always trying to beat each other in sales. It gets people in the brand, and if the deals are good, keeps them there. As we can see even in this group, some of us are in one camp or another, and seldom venture out of it.

These are cars to either lease, buy CPO, or buy outright only if you are going to keep it for a decade, as initial depreciation is steep, and for many models, the depreciation floor can be low.

Wagon lease is up in almost exactly a year, I will be debating whether or not to buy it out.
    driver100 said:

The luxury brands started making more popular priced cars so they could expand their base....even companies like Porsche have expanded their base. It works too because people get an entry level model and there is a better chance they will stay with the brand as they move up.

In the ~15 years I have made meaningful retirement contributions, I am at something like 9% annually, and I don't have the most aggressive mix.

Much Seattle area real estate is up 1000% from that 1987 timeframe.
    dino001 said:

What did you invest in? Trump Casinos? :wink: S&P is up over 450 percent and that doesn't even include dividends, cashed or reinvested.

edited March 2021
    Annual 8-9 percent is pretty much S&P typical long term return as long as you allow for 20 years or more. BTW, correction to my statement - The chart above from 1997, not 1987. This one below is from 1987, S&P return is up over 12 times (1200%) plus dividends.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited March 2021
    Hoovie's 'dad' is a monster!
    About 8 1/2 minutes in to his garage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blLECcNv3tE
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe
    Wait? Your wipers stop working when it snows? Most cars can wipe the snow off windows.

There’s an answer for you questions:

First, since I don’t have a BMW my wipers don’t stop working when it rains or snows. I only caught mine sleeping on the job once when the Sun was shining and I turned on the washers.

Second, the camera has a fail proof heater so never a problem there. Also, BMW has the wipers and heater/defroster intercepted so when one stops the other stops too. Probably some advanced German engineering thing no one else has figured out yet.

jmonroe

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

Couple of things, first what options do those cars have? if those are fully loaded then they are more in line with current prices if they are the base stripper model then todays prices are pretty good. The other thing is luxury items have elastic demand curves, this means that a drop in demand in response to a price increase is greater than the increase in price. This means that there is a strong resistance to price increases so their prices will more than likely increase slower than inflation.

What are more common cars like when you compare prices? I know adjusting for inflation you wont get a Mustang today for what I paid for my Mustang in 1982.
    Just a guess but I would imagine a 2021 stripper BMW 3 Series would have way more standard equipment than an 87 top of the line 3 Series and is probably better in almost every way.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

There’s an answer for you questions:

First, since I don’t have a BMW my wipers don’t stop working when it rains or snows. I only caught mine sleeping on the job once when the Sun was shining and I turned on the washers.

Second, the camera has a fail proof heater so never a problem there. Also, BMW has the wipers and heater/defroster intercepted so when one stops the other stops too. Probably some advanced German engineering thing no one else has figured out yet.

jmonroe
    I have a sign here somewhere. Where is my sign?

Oh here it is.

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

Just a guess but I would imagine a 2021 stripper BMW 3 Series would have way more standard equipment than an 87 top of the line 3 Series and is probably better in almost every way.
    I know that and I know the nature of the beast would put pressure on the manufacturer no keep price increases to a minimum. I would like to see comparisons on more main stream cars especially low end where that pressure isn't there. What's the average car price back then and now.

dino001 said:

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

FDX was $10/share, split-adjusted in 1987. Now, it's $260/share. Up 2500%.
    It isn't even one of the higher ones. I'm pretty sure your investments have gone up a lot more than 130% ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

MSRPs

I know that and I know the nature of the beast would put pressure on the manufacturer no keep price increases to a minimum. I would like to see comparisons on more main stream cars especially low end where that pressure isn't there. What's the average car price back then and now.
    The BMW is a top of the line 3-Series
    The Acuras are mid-trim models.

I picked those, because I had personal experience with them.

As noted, even a stripper now has way more equipment than those models from 30 years ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

fintail said:

In the ~15 years I have made meaningful retirement contributions, I am at something like 9% annually, and I don't have the most aggressive mix.

Much Seattle area real estate is up 1000% from that 1987 timeframe.

dino001 said:

That’s about what I’ve averaged too. And to think I could have bought Apple for $15 at the end if 2002.