Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    For those of you who have installed the Weatherflector units on your QC's, I'm wondering if any of you have any pictures you wouldn't mind sharing that show what the Weatherflectors look like on your QC. I have the dark Ventvisors on my QC and while I really like how they look on my truck, I'm not too thrilled by the fact that they sort of obscure my vision at times. I've pretty much gotten use to this by now, but I'm still giving some serious consideration to switching the Ventvisors out for the Weatherflectors if they look as good as, if not better than, the Ventvisors. Thanks in advance.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Had a 1990 Olds Toronado Trofeo. Prettiest car I had ever seen. Most expensive piece junk I have ever owned. Anyhow, I had the car in one day to the dealer due to the car pulling to the right after several alignments. One of the techs went for a ride with me. I pulled out from a dead stop at moderate accelleration. Let off the gas, let go of the wheel and watched her pull right. Tech says "torque-steer". I tell him I am not giving it any gas. He says "torque-steer". I throw the tranny into neutral, let go of the wheel and watched her pull right. I sez "how can it be torque-steer if the front axle is not being torqued"? He got quiet after that.

Torque-steer is a characteristic of front wheel drive cars. It occurs, to the best of my knowledge, due to the different lengths of the front axles. Typically one axle on a ftont wheel drive car will be longer/shorter than the other. When the same amount of torque is applied to both axles, the longer axle will twist more (angular deflection) than the shorter, stiffer axle. This is what creates the QUICK jerk of the steering wheel under strong acceleration. You should not notice torque steer at sustained speeds, or at low speeds, especially when braking.
  • ozarkozark Member Posts: 124
    gator, I just spent Saturday at the dealer and they decided that my truck's front end noise was due to worn or faulty stabilizer bar bushings. This noise was loud(more squawk that squeak) and could be heard whenever I went over any uneven surface. They also ordered a new power steering rack because of a grinding noise I was hearing while turning. The parts are supposed to be in this week, so we will see if this fixes the problem. My 4x4 Quad had over 30,000 miles and except for the gas mileage and a few quality issues I still love the truck. I'm hoping that more problems don't develop. I am use to Nissans and Jeep Cherokees that go 125,000+ before the onset of any problems. Like I said. We'll see.

Don't know anything about torque steer, but I have heard the bs before. I will stay in touch regarding my truck's front end problems and the dealer's solutions and I hope you have good luck resolving your truck's problems.
  • peb2peb2 Member Posts: 12
    No way are they going to repaint the truck. I ordered a new vehicle, and that is what I should get. And ultimately I do not care what it costs the dealer. They have one obligation, and that is to make me happy in my purchase. The color of the truck is bright silver. I used to work at a bodyshop when I was in college and I know for certain that if they paint the truck that a match
    in color is a crap shoot, especially with bright silver. I would gladly wait for a new truck.
  • zidctlrzidctlr Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone know what the stock number is for the molded mud flaps w/flares that have the black rams head and not the silver one? The dodge dealer says the only come in the silver rams head. But other people say they have the black rams head. Please help!!!!!
  • trippinglizardtrippinglizard Member Posts: 56
    Hey I just purchased a loaded quad cab factory order . . . Tow package,HD service package, sport package plus, power conv., delux conv., 4-wh. antilock, anti spin diff., leather seats, leather steering wheel,4.7 v8, skid plate, power seat, rear window defrost,cd player 8 speakers,3.92 axle . . . all for 25,825 . . . including the $2000 rebate . . . was this a good deal? OR avg.
    Help!!! The claimed they gave me invoice subtracting rebate . . . I believe they still made about $1000 off me?
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    Check out the edmunds.com section and price it yourself. You'll have to get local advertizing cost from the dealer, but shouldn't run more than about $600 total and can't be avoided. That sounds like they're making a good bit of money off you. There's about $500 worth of holdback that they'll make, even if they sell at invoice.
  • jbardramjbardram Member Posts: 20
    Hitting the 12 month mark this week...couple of observations about my 4.7 4wd black sport+ w/auto....
    17,300 miles, avg MPG 14.5
    No new quality problems since just after delivery, but "multispeed tranny" still likes to surprise me every now and then.
    Ground clearance has been an issue (anyone know why the QC's is 7.1" while the Durango's is 7.9"?
    When plowing the truck pops out of 4WD low and into neutral...dealer states normal. Could be why they are a no star dealer.
    Original tires about 1/3 through tread, front brakes about 75% worn.
    Still happy about the investment. Good luck to all...
    Today I finalized my paint blotch saga. The dealer is ordering my new truck as I speak and putting it on the hot sheet for a quick delivery. Chrysler told the dealer to let me drive the originally delivered vehicle until the new one was delivered. (gee thanks, I would expect nothing less considering my inconvenience). Now, for the $2,000 question. I ordered my original truck on 1/5/01 for the price of $23,400 which include a $1000 rebate. I took delivery of the truck on 2/6/01. As everyone knows, the truck paint is defective and a new truck is being ordered 2/14/01. The dealer commented that new paperwork(contract) will have to be drawn up when the truck arrives. Despite my original contract signing of 2/6/01, would I be eligible for the additional $1,000 rebate bringing the truck price to $22,400. Since I did not accept the original vehicle I would think that paperwork is null and void bringing me to this point where a $2000 rebate is offered. Am I reaching here or what!? Any comments? I called Chrysler rebate dept.,
    told them my situation and they responded by telling me they had no official program to refer to for the $2000 rebate, even though I reminded them it was already posted on the Dodge website.
    Now how does that happen? I will call them back in a couple of days and pose the question again.
  • triple_deke1triple_deke1 Member Posts: 60
    Yep America is great!!!

TD
  • triple_deke1triple_deke1 Member Posts: 60
    Anyone know where I can get these for 2001 Dakota?? Been looking
    and cant find them anywhere.

Thanks
    TD
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Paul, the more people you ask, the more opportunity you present for an answer of "NO." Assume the $2000.00 rebate, because that is what in currently being offered. At D/C, they don't even realize that it is now in effect. So, how can
    you expect a viable answer. The real question at D/C is: "Do you want fries with that?" It looks like the dealer and area representative are performing in an honorable fashion. Now you have a unit to work out all of your frustrations before you get your truck. Enjoy! Don't ask questions, when you do the paperwork, "assume" the
    larger rebate. Keep it simple and logical. Good luck, and we are proud of you for "sticking to your guns."

Bookitty
  • zoomquadzoomquad Member Posts: 6
    does anrone know what the factory installed limited slip-differential is? Does anyone feel that there is a gas mileage penalty associated with an lsd?
    David, a limited slip differential is a clutch pack (series of plates) that creates resistance within the axle when a situation arises that would cause tractive effort to be lost because standard differentials follow the path of least resistance. If both wheels on any one side of the vehicle were to encounter a slippery (for whatever reason) surface, the wheels that were on the slippery surface would spin freely, with little or no tractive effort being produced. But if one axle had limited slip, it would allow the wheel sitting on a dry surface to turn as the clutch pack limited the ability of the wheels to spin freely, thus propelling the vehicle forward or rearward. It is a very worthwhile option, and while it does not lock up the differential completely (thus the term, "limited") it allows sufficient tractive effort to get moving. You go from no wheel drive to one wheel drive, a marked improvement. Because it does create resistance via friction, it may have some very minor mileage penalty, but I think that it would be difficult to measure. Nevertheless, don't leave home without it.

Bookitty
  • kjcdr1kjcdr1 Member Posts: 26
    This forum confirmed what I saw in my local newspaper today about the rebate. Posted note on Jan. 28 that I had ordered a Q/C on Jan. 26. According to d/c it should be shipped tomorrow, Feb 15, but they could not confirm that it was being built on Feb. 13--so I will believe the ship date when it has happened.
    The information posted here since January 26 has added to my knowledge, and I appreciate that. Since my vehicle will be silver, same as peb2, you can bet there will be a thorough inspection before acceptance of the vehicle. And of course I will happily accept another $1000 reduction of the price--as promised by the dealer if rebate were increased before the truck was delivered.
    Best regards to all. Ken
  • cowtownaggiecowtownaggie Member Posts: 39
    (BTW, I also posted this in the accy forum. Didn't know which area would get the most exposure!)

Has anyone looked at adding overload / helper springs to their truck yet? I have a 4x4 quad 4.7L 5sp. When I put about 500 - 700 lbs in the bed, I am riding on the rubber bump stops on the axle.

So far I have not been able to find a set of air shocks that fit this truck. Air "bags" (from AirLift) are about $225.00 a set (2500 lbs max capacity). Hellwig helper springs are about $250.00+ per set (1500 lbs).

Everything else looks cheap or WAY overpriced! I am not looking to turn this truck into a 1 ton, but I like the idea of traveling with my 8hp riding mower in the back w/out traveling on the axle

Any Info, Please let me know

Thanx,

PDS (aka Cowtown Aggie)
  • rmm2rmm2 Member Posts: 6
    The lack of an adjustable headrest and the not so High Back Bucket Seats are something I thought they would have fixed in the Dakota by now. I had a 94 Dakota Club Cab before the 00 QC and the bucket seat height seems unchanged between then and now. I didn't measure other than by sitting in the bench and buckets in the 00 and 01 models -- they seemed the same to me. I went with the buckets. The so called High Back feature was not the distinguishing feature between the bucket vs. bench.
  • pikeamaniapikeamania Member Posts: 6
    I'm sincerely withdrawing my interest in a QC.Everyone seems to have the same problems...It's obvious that Dodge does not stand behind their vehicles...Given that it is a beautiful truck,,,I'm convinced that it does not hold its own...Sure many of you will not admit it,,(issue of pride) but I'm sure deep down you agree..I know a Dodge/Chrysler mechanic,,,and I asked him if he had $22,000.to $28,000. to spend on a vehicle,,what would he choose..His answer,,,"Not a Dodge.." I do not intend for this to be a deliberate "slam" against you owners,,,but come on,,,the evidence is obvious...
  • mulderigmulderig Member Posts: 31
    Roadmaster sells a set of helper springs that do not change the ride of your truck when empty. I saw an installation on TV and also in Trucking Magazine.

http://www.activesuspension.com/
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    What exactly were the problems you are having with the paint? Am considering the bright silver metallic, and would like to know if your problems are the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i have the hellwig helper springs and i got them for 99.00 and installed them in about 1 hour. it only effects your ride if you tighten it down pretty good. i tightened mine most all the way and got just over 1 inch more clearance and there is little notice in the ride change. i like the helper springs. i think they are called lp-15's. they bolt on easily and help alot with my towing. my boat trailer use to drag coming out of my driveway, now with the helpers i have almost 2 inches of clearance.

good luck.

Robert
    Michael, it is of course your given right and privilege to purchase whatever you choose. However, the very fact that you are monitoring a forum dedicated to one particular product, you are bound to read and see much about the product that people like or dislike. Some of it is valid, while much of it is anecdotal (like quoting a technician who may or may not have an objective opinion [key word "opinion"]. Mechanics, are sometimes very much like police officers, in that most of the time that they are contacted, it is because something is wrong. Nobody usually calls them to say that all is well. By the method you utilize for deriving information and assimilating same, you are a media dream. You seem to operate more comfortably listening to other opinions rather than forming an opinion on more widespread facts. This neither agrees or dissents with what you have expressed. An example, was the new multispeed automatic transmission. There were myriad complaints until someone read the manual. This also stumped many Dodge/Chrysler mechanics, as they also had not read and/or understood the manual. Result, the transmission has both a learning curves as well as an operating design that is somewhat different from past technology. In closing, I would suggest that you purchase a different product, after which you could access their forum and/or owner's page and rave or gripe as much as you please. Or, you could access these pages before purchasing and read their bad and good news as well. But, remember that all good things that are mentioned are simply an issue of pride. By the way Michael, I am "proud" of my truck and I "like" it also. This posting is not intended to "bash" or demean you, it is simply a way of informing you that while your opinion carries the possibility of correctness, nevertheless it is not valid because of the way information was gathered. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bookitty
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    You can look at any of the vehicles in these forums and find more than enough reasons not to buy that particular car/truck. I used to work for a GM dealer. I puke at the thought of owning a GM. The only place that I found the people thought differently was a Ford dealership. We are getting more and more demanding. If it aint perfect, get upset and sue. BTW, ole Bill didn't change his mind because of the cost conflict. When it was suggested that he move into a Harlem building, he thought they said harem.
    I am confident that the paint problem was an exception. Refer to post #1868 for the particulars.
    The blotches were baseball sized and pretty easy to see. Inspect the vehicle very carefully. Good luck. Bookitty, is LSD really necessary even with 4WD. As mentioned before, this is my first 4X4. When I hear 4 wheel drive, I expect all 4 wheels to turn under load. Am I not understanding this fully or wha? Help me out. How does LSD work when in 4WD? Finally, I understand what you are saying about the rebate, BUT, when I go back to the dealer to pick up the new truck and sign the new papers, would I nonchalantly say, "oh by the way you guys owe me $1000 for the rebate". I have already payed cash for the truck. No way is the dealer going to cut me a check for $1,000. You think getting a replacement vehicle would be a fight. Pheweeee! You wanna come to Chicago to watch my back. (kiddin) Thanks for your help.
  • danodwdanodw Member Posts: 63
    I just got my splash guard from the dealer. They have the black Dodge Logo on them.
    The part # on my sales slip is, 82202719. I hope this helps your dealer find what you need.
    I picked up my QC 2-9-01. I got the $1000 rebate, what I want to know is when did the rebate go up to $2000. If it did before I got my truck ( 2-9-01 ) then I am going back to the dealer for the rest of my rebate and will be very mad if they tried to pull one over on me.
    Also I just got front and back wind guards or rain guards for the windows. They did not have a part # for the 01 QC and said that the 2000 ones are the same. When I got them home and tried to put them on they would not fit right. The corner slides a little under the mirror molding. When I slide it under, the molding pushing the guard to where it rubs the window when I raise it up and down, plus it puts a bind on the guard to where the sticky strip is at an angle. I can force it flat and make it stick but I think it will come off from the presure. I have the heated mirrors aand they are a little bigger that the other QC's on the lot. Even the salesan said that the mirrors look bigger than all the others he has on the lot.
    The wind guards are ventshade for a 2000 dakota P/N 94853. I ight have to take them back and go to the dealer where it cost more. Thanks for any help on this
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    i would go back to dealer when you do have time and quiz that mechanic about torque steer. other post here sums it up pretty good. torque steer is a front wheel drive thing and because most of d/cs products are front wheel drive that may be the type of drive train he has most exp on. but thats no excuse. i would personally rather a tech tell me he doesn't know then make up something like this! demand a answer and ask him how torque steer occurs in a rear wheel drive truck/car?
  • king_of_swingking_of_swing Member Posts: 1
    Hey all...

Ordered a Dakota Quad 4x4 early in January, talking a chance on the rebates. The final deal I struck with the dealer was that at delivery, I would pay the price we negotiated minus any customer rebates AND dealer cash incentives. I then joined farm bureau :). Looking at the incentives pages on this site, I see mention of a $3000 dealer incentive. Anyone know what the exact terms on this are? I'd love to be able to subtract another 3k from my price (who wouldn't?).

Also, I plan on replacing the factory wheels and rubber (16x8 alloys w/265 tires) at delivery time with steel rims and BFG tires. Anyone in my area (kansas city) have any ideas about who may be interested in buying the factory gear?

For those who are interested, I ordered a Black 4x4 SLT+ with 40/20/40, security, tow, hd svc, fogs, 3.55 lsd, 4.7 auto, RAZ, skids, t&h, A/C, DCG. MSRP 28,715; Invoice 26,332, nogotiated 25,990 plus a $89.50 junk fee. With rebates, I am down to $23579.50. Planning on adding an ARE lid, rhino liner and steel wheels.

-kos
    Thanx Boo and Steve for your comments regarding my post...I am fully aware of finding negative info. while monitoring a particular product..(Common sense) But for the money you spend on vehicles these days,,one would hope for the security and reliability of a brand new product...I've been carefully investigating several different vehicles from different manufacturers for about 13 months now..True,,that a lemon does pass the way now & again,,it's smart to see the overall picture....The Search Continues.....Thanx all...Ironically I will probably purchase a 2002 model QC when available..(they may iron out the wrinkles)
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    I'm also in the Chicago area, and also have a bright silver QC. I don't think you want that color. I want to be the only one!...Just kidding.
    Most trucks today don't have a true 4 wheel drive system. a true system (like on the old military jeeps,ect.) have all four wheels engaged in 4wd. Dodge and others use a loose definition in todays trucks. The front diff on the Dak is really just a "open" diff. only 1 wheel spins. the std rear is also an "open" so w/o LSD you really only have 2wd. If you add LSD, you end up with 3WD, but most manufacturers don't admit to that, let alone dealers. I would aso encourge you to get the LSD. Unfortunatly Dodge doesn't offer LSD for the front. Just for kicks, I'd love to know which dealer you're working with.
    Paul, with a 4 wheel drive vehicle with open differentials (no locker, no LSD) if you were to have both right wheels (or for that matter both left wheels) on a non tractive surface (ice, snow,
    grease, oil) in theory, if the differentials were doing the job for which they have been designed, you are going nowhere. With the rear differential having some type of introduced resistance within the "pumpkin", one of the rear wheels on the dry tractive surface would begin to rotate moving you out of the situation. If the resistance were solid as in a "locker" type axle, it would rotate even better, but then the differential would not be able to perform its primary task, allowing one wheel to turn faster or slower to allow turning. Is LSD so good that putting it on both axles would
    increase tractive effort tremendously? Yes it would, but you would need about ten acres in which to turn around. On the construction machines
    that I represented, at one time they had a foot operated differential lock (like a farm tractor) but operators resting their foot on it complained about the poor turn radius. Now they use a LSD on the front axle (these machines spend about 40% of their time in reverse) and with 4WD and 4W steer it does not make much difference. The load is always carried on the front, so that's where the LSD is located. What Harold (tuvest) says is correct as far as three wheel drive, but if your right wheels (front and rear) are on the shoulder of the road where they are sitting on snow or ice,
    without LSD or a locker my friend; You can easily be stuck.

Bookitty
    Ok, I'm sold. I just called the dealer and revised the order. They ordered my new truck yesterday and will be calling tommorrow to put it on the hot sheet. He does not seem to think it will be a problem including it. For a price of course. I responded by, Yea invoice RIGHT! So I will keep my fingers crossed. The general manager at this dealer is not liking me right now. Who cares. Anyhow, bookitty, any more ideas on the rebate issue, or just assuming I am entitled when I pick up the truck be the end of it. Finally, the Dodge website calls it cash allowance. Is this different than a rebate? I am really unclear on how to approach this when it comes time. Where would the $1000 come from, the manufacture or the dealer. Remember, I paid cash for the truck, they have my money!
  • danodwdanodw Member Posts: 63
    Haven't read all that you said about your problem. They are giving you a new truck because of paint problems. Is that right. Now since you had to order a new truck and have already paid cash for the one being returned, I feel you should have gotten your money back and contract tore up. When new one gets here thats what it will be, a new truck with a new vin # and a new contract. The contract wuld have to be re done if you had a loan. When I ordered my truck they would not guarantee the rebate, said it was a chance I had to take and said if rebate went up I would get what ever it was at the time I picked it up. I think since your truck was not right and you had to ordered a new one and have to wait on it then you should get the knew rebate when you pick it up. I would ask about this now and not wait until it comes in. Contact dodge about this. I don't trust any dealers. If they can pocket this rebate then they will but if they can't then you might not get it. Good luck. I'm begining to worrie about dodge. I switch from Nissan to Dodge because of size, power and comfort. Never had a problem out of Nissans and have had 4 with over 150,000miles.
  • icecrmmanicecrmman Member Posts: 3
    I too have been reading different forums on different trucks and have found problems with most makes but after reading all of these forums it seems to me that the people in the Dakota forums help each other out with their problems they encounter. I for one really appreciate all of the effort bookitty, steve234, and several others go to in solving these problems. In fact, I am looking at a 2001 QC because of the support group in this forum and the $2000 rebate doesn't hurt either.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (pikeamania) I have been following the Dakota since mid 1999. I still follow all of the Dakota forums here at Edmunds as well as at several other sites. The 4.7L V8 Hemi has been almost infallible since its inception in the 1998 JeepGrandCherokee. As for the chassis itself... the reported problems have been well within what is seen on other vehicles.

Lets look at your own words...

"Everyone seems to have the same problems..."
    Please tell all of us what these "same problems" are.

"It's obvious that Dodge does not stand behind their vehicles..."
    As far as I am aware the problems have been addressed by DC. I can NAME at least 5 problems that were identified and corrected by way of TSBs. Is this not "standing behind" their product?

"Given that it is a beautiful truck,,,"
    It sure is...

"I'm convinced that it does not hold its own..."
    Against what? What convinced you of this? Have you done much trucking? It is better built than the GMC small truck or the Ford Stranger. (Not even in the same league.) The body will not rust out like the GMC products. Chrysler has had the most comfortable seats for YEARS.

I wonder just how much "research" you have really done...
    Michael, now you've done it! You have aroused the ire of bpeebles. Bruce is one of the smartest,and intelligent guys that I have encountered. You can recognize that by the level of logic that he utilizes, and he is well respected by everyone on this forum as well as others. He has mastered the BOB and I'm certain that his copy is very well "dog-eared" from use. He is also the only one with enough knowledge of HTML codings to be able to post in various fonts and styles. I certainly can't do that although I have tried and failed. Bruce, how do you do that?

Bookitty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

MAGICK
    Boy,,,you seem a bit uneasy...take things for what they are worth...I never said anything to disrespect all at the forum...As a matter of fact,,,you people have been very helpful over the past year and a half..(In other forums as well) As far as GMC vehicles go,,,,They are more reliable than any Dodge i have had..I had a full size Silverado Blazer 350 that i had put 180,000. miles on.I took care of that rig...NO RUST!!!!(actually a little starting near the fuel housing)As in all things considered and reconsidered,,A matter of opinion...If you would like to bash someone,,,find someone else...I Come In Peace!!!!It is sure tough to distinguish the type of phrasing by whats on paper...Dont be mislead...You do not want to sail uncharted waters
  • ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
    Richard & all reading,

I read your post on the "bucket" seats in the new QC. I too, am very displeased with the seats in my truck. I just received my truck (2001 QC Sport, 4X4, cloth interior, 5 spd, etc..) and the only complaints I had were:
    1.) The keys hit my leg while driving when they are in the ignition
    2.) The bucket seats that I ordered are horribly uncomfortable and lack support, not to mention the lack of a headrest.

I looked at the Dodge website and there really isn't a big difference between the "bucket" seats and the bench seat. I paid an extra $200 for these seats that have the "high-back".
    High-back??? I can't even hit the back of my head on the headrest unless I am looking up at the ceiling!!!

Not cool.

I am currently in search of a Durango seat that I can put in there in place of my expensive "bucket, high-back" seats. I was told by the dealer that they should interchange easily. I was amazed at how comfortable the Durango seats were. Why didn't Dodge use the same damn seats???

Anybody know where I can find one or two?
    I just purchased a loaded quad cab factory order . . . Tow package,HD service package, sport package plus, power conv., delux conv., 4-wh. antilock, anti spin diff., leather seats, leather steering wheel,4.7 v8, skid plate, power seat, rear window defrost,cd player 8 speakers,3.92 axle . . . all for 25,825 . . . including the $2000 rebate . . . was this a good deal? OR avg.
    Help!!! The claimed they gave me invoice subtracting rebate . . . I believe they still made about $1000 off me? :(
    what are the advantages of the 3.92 axle . . . only towing?
    thanks
    I just wanted to clear up some terminology with you. I think we are on the same page in thinking but since our background and applications have been different we may be using different terms for the same things.
    -LSD- I think we're OK on this one, diff with clutch packs that slip as the vehicle goes around corners and loss of traction.
    -locker- this is where I think we separate. I was taught a locker (aka Detroit Locker) was a diff that has a mechanical assy that keeps the two axles connected while traveling in a straight line, but unlocks as the vehicle goes around corners. A very noisy clunking as the unit locks and unlocks. I belive this was actully an option on Mustangs in the 60's. great for street cars that do alot of racing. Can also be a manually engaged lock on off-road vehilcles called an "air-locker"
    -spool- A device inside the diff housing that allows no slippage at all. Basically makes one long axle whith a wheel on each end. When a vehicle with a spool turns a corner, one wheel is actully dragged as they can't turn indpendantly.

Now I'm going to check under the bonnet for petrol leaks.
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    Been some time since I posted last. The following is my 10,000 mile up-date and "laundry list":
    Truck: 00 AC 4.7,auto,2WD,ST
    Manufacture Date: 8 May 00
    Problem: Rear end whine during deceleration between 49-45 MPH.
    Fix: Dealer replaced entire rear end.
    Problem: While driving at night, lights (head & dash lights) would flash on and off-intermittent
    Fix: Dealer found a loose ground wire and tighten according.
    Aug MPG: 16.5 - 17.5 (no interstate driving)
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    Spell check changed a few words.
    00 Quad, SLT; Avg. MPG
    HTML is a snap . . .

MAGICK

SCHWIZZ

Sorry
    Harold, I used the word "locker" as a generic term
    indicating an actual locked differential. In the case of 4 wheel steer equipment, a fully locked differential is not nearly as critical for turning
    and maneuvering. I believe that your terminology is correct, and your examples as well. I was trying to clarify the basics to someone who did not understand the initial concept and may have inadvertently confused the issue. The point I was trying to make was, with open differentials, there could easily arise a situation where a 4WD would be totally incapacitated should both wheels on either side be sitting on a surface that defeated tractive effort. Probably, I should explain LSD as Tarzan would: "LSD, good! No LSD, bad!" By the way Harold, your statement; "Now I'm going to check under the bonnet for petrol leaks." may contain a crucial error. I believe that British petrol, "seeps" not "leaks."

Bookitty
    I thought they made it out of those green leafy vegetables
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I always thought a locker was where you put your smelly gym stuff.

Seriously I think "Locker" has become generic in use like Xerox. I've heard people call Auburn units called lockers and they are "clutch pack" units too! Locker to the, ahem, older generation means "Detroit Locker"
    I believe your description is right on regardless of whatever Boo says. Don't let him sell you half a bridge, I know he has the whole thing. Rick
  • mtrogstadmtrogstad Member Posts: 21
    Just checked status of Quad yesterday. It is on the train!!! I also just got a copy of my full invoice from the dealer, and it brought up a question. The invoice listed an ANTI-spin differential. I didn't even know this was an option when I ordered. I thouhgt the only options were standard or LSD axle. I called directly to chrysler customer service to see if there was actually another option or if it is just listed differently. The said that there was a difference and I got the "locked" differential. Based on my new knowledge from bootkitty, I don't know if this is the "spool" type, or the actual "locking" type. Has anyone got this or heard of this option for the Dakota? Also, is this better or worse that the LSD? More wear and tear?

I am probably going to get a spay-in liner. I have checked around my area and both line-X and Rhino go for about $330. I am thinking about using the Rhino because it feels like it has a tackier surface. Anyone had good or bad luck with the Rhino lining?

I was also going to get the Husky floor mats? Do these match the slate gray interior very well? Do they fit pretty good in the Dakota?

Can't wait till it gets here!
    WOW! you"ve got a real special option there. It's a special security device that prohibits the wheels from spinning no matter what. Let see the crooks steal it now!

Seriously. that is the LSD that we've been talking about. there are lots of synonyms for it:
    posi,LSD,no-spin,anti-spin, and the old Chrysler standby, Sure-grip. Dodge does not offer any kind of locking diff despite what the...um...shall we say; less than fully competent individuals at the call center say.

I had a Rhino liner in a previous rig and found it to be a great system. I had it put in about 1990 and when my cousins sold the truck last year, the liner was in near perfect condition. The truck was rusting out around it though. I currently have a Line-X in my QC. I felt that the harder compound and increased abrasion resistance would hold up better in the long run.

-older generation- To be politically correct, wouldn't that be "Chronologically Enhanced"?
    I guess even though my birth date might not show it, I may fall into that catagory as I was weaned on cars with points,carbs,and generators.
This discussion has been closed.