Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662

Then you have to get rid of the old dishwasher yourself.

Just take it out to the country and dump it on some rich guy’s 100 acres. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

Hey! Why didn't someone tell me that we took a helicopter to Mars?

When I first heard about that I was amazed that the thing could lift off in the thin Martian air.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

So, have been electric car curious for a few years. Seeing some of the prices on the Bolts, thought maybe it might be a decent knock around city car.

Set up an appointment at the Chevy dealer I posted who had the alleged “good deals”.

This was done by text. My visit was a “kill two birds with one stone” deal, where I was going to drop a flyer and business card off to the GM for my transport services in addition to doing a test drive of the Bolt.

Set up a time to meet the sales person, confirmed it (by the sales person). Got there, asked the receptionist to page the sales person. Waited about 15 minutes. No sales person. Paged again. Waited another 10 minutes, no sales person. Paged again after 10 more minutes, no sales person.

Asked the receptionist if I could speak to the GM. She became huffy and stated there was no reason to report the sales person. I explained that I wasn’t going to complain, only to drop off some info for my transport biz. She said he was unavailable (really?).

Dropped off my info.

This a.m., got a call from the sales person asking me when I was planning to come in for a test drive.

I’m a little perturbed by this juncture. I politely, but firmly, explained to him what transpired and reminded him of our appointment. No apology, no explanation, he just hung up on me. Guess who will never get my business, ever. Won’t be following up to do any transports for them either.

Tough for dealership to recover with a $h!tty attitude like that.

Wow, that’s attitude on steroids. Just hung up without responding? I’m guessing that guy won’t be there 6 months from now.

He’ll probably gat a job more suited to his temperament at the DMV or IRS. :'(
    The best thing that could happen to me is to have the IRS hang up on me. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited March 2021
    Bit of normal today

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    pensfan83 said:

Bit of normal today

That's a nice-looking arena. I didn't know it had been renamed for PPG Paints.

That made me wonder about what brands the company made. We used to be able to buy the Pittsburgh Paints brand here but that went away a few years ago. So I went to the PPG website and found this:

That taught me that they owned a lot of brands. But it also taught me that the company website people can't spell the name of their hometown. A bit embarrassing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    jmonroe1 said:

From what I’ve seen in the fine print about these so-called free installations is that it doesn’t include haul away. However, for an additional charge you can get haul away. And even if you didn’t, dishwashers are pretty light and would be pretty easy to drag to the curb. FWIW, I have a dolly so no big deal for me.

I remember one time doing something around the house Mrs. j kept say, “how can I help you, how can I help you?” I said don’t worry about it. Then I decided to have some fun when I was done and once I had the dolly loaded I said, “how about driving this thing to the curb while I gather up my tools”. Turns out she was all talk and no help. Can’t say I was surprised.

jmonroe
    Better than my wife who takes the initiative and does things to help me without asking and actually makes my job harder. Things like putting away my tools when she thinks I am done with them but I actually will need then later.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ab348 said:

A couple of years ago I had my electric hot water heater replaced. The plumbers did a good job and were here and gone quickly enough. I saw them haul the old unit up the stairs and out the back door as they were finishing it up. I assumed they had put in their van before they left.

Imagine my surprise when a while later I went outside to see it sitting on the curb next to the end of my driveway. It was late in the day so I made a mental note to call them the next day to complain. I was even more surprised to find that it disappeared overnight. I don't know if those are valued for scrap metal or what, but I wasn't complaining any more.
    You would be surprised to know what I have seen disappear overnight like that.

So, have been electric car curious for a few years. Seeing some of the prices on the Bolts, thought maybe it might be a decent knock around city car.

Set up an appointment at the Chevy dealer I posted who had the alleged “good deals”.

This was done by text. My visit was a “kill two birds with one stone” deal, where I was going to drop a flyer and business card off to the GM for my transport services in addition to doing a test drive of the Bolt.

Set up a time to meet the sales person, confirmed it (by the sales person). Got there, asked the receptionist to page the sales person. Waited about 15 minutes. No sales person. Paged again. Waited another 10 minutes, no sales person. Paged again after 10 more minutes, no sales person.

Asked the receptionist if I could speak to the GM. She became huffy and stated there was no reason to report the sales person. I explained that I wasn’t going to complain, only to drop off some info for my transport biz. She said he was unavailable (really?).

Dropped off my info.

This a.m., got a call from the sales person asking me when I was planning to come in for a test drive.

I’m a little perturbed by this juncture. I politely, but firmly, explained to him what transpired and reminded him of our appointment. No apology, no explanation, he just hung up on me. Guess who will never get my business, ever. Won’t be following up to do any transports for them either.

Wow, that’s attitude on steroids. Just hung up without responding? I’m guessing that guy won’t be there 6 months from now.

Well if he is hustling for sales and getting them he may have a long career there, especially if that dealer is on the shady side.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    GG Not saying it is right....but, what if the salesman had a prospective buyer looking at a car or taking a test drive? He may think I have a live one here, that has a better chance than a possible no show appointment. I imagine the number of people who make an appointment and don't show up is fairly high.

If this is the case, it still isn't right, but I would guess most salespeople will stick to the live customer, rather than risk a no show even with an appointment.

When we came in for an appointment at the Audi dealer our sales guy was late coming in....we could see him having a cigarette with a buddy. He was such a nice guy we let it go.....and we did buy the car.

Still inexcusable, you probably would have understood if he met you and asked you to look around while he sold to the other possible customer. I have never really done commission sales though......and I imagine it can be pretty brutal.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@ab348 that's funny and embarrassing
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    Wow look at the crowd, sure you aren't in AZ or FL? B)
    pensfan83 said:

Bit of normal today

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Anybody remember MSB or their LP Heartland from 1980? Just saw the news that Cleveland icon Michael Stanley passed away age 72. He did a lot of other albums in the 70s and 80s but this single from Heartland still sounds great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMFOSekS7Q
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

Dropped off my info.

I think you are much more likely to see that attitude at dealers that sell the more mainstream vehicles. Their philosophy is probably, “Who cares if we blow off a likely stroke or two? There are plenty more baby seals to club.”
    I couldn’t work in a store that sold vehicles you couldn’t pay me to own, or a store that treated customers with total disrespect.
    I always showed up for my appointments.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    My son did much of the negotiation for pricing on Venza by emails. Each one was correct when he did visit the showroom with his wife for a test drive.

He later negotiated on Monday (closed on Sunday) for reduction on the vehicle in stock. Cincinnati Joseph Toyota had the exact model and options and color he wanted. But he negotiated and got the astroroof for free.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

fintail said:

Wow look at the crowd, sure you aren't in AZ or FL? B)

pensfan83 said:

Bit of normal today

Ha. This was what it looked like in days of yore.

Astro roof option:

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,089
    jwm40517 said:

After changing her mind a few times, my wife bought a RAV4 XLE Premium AWD in extra cost white and black fake leather last week. She bought it from Kings Toyota in Cincinnati. Vehicle was about $350 less than local and Louisville plus saved another $350 on doc fees. Ohio's $250 compared to $599-$750 in Ky. So about $700 better OTD than local.

The sale experience was very good, no high pressure back and forth. Finance was amazing, took less than 10 minutes total to sign 5 forms and print copies. It was somewhat more simple as it was a cash deal, but he never even mentioned any kind of upsell or tried to push anything. The amount of the check was same to the penny as on the buyer's contract emailed to me a week earlier.

Congrats! Thanks for the report

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    Speaking of 1980 silver prices, back in 70's and 80's an accounting client had a photo processing shop that reclaimed silver from the chemicals used in processing film. It was not pure silver and had to be shipped off to Kodak I believe to be further processed and they would pay the spot of silver on the day it was processed. The day his processed the spot was about $50. He received a check for over $50,000 for the cannisters he had been saving for several years.
    jwm40517 said:

After changing her mind a few times, my wife bought a RAV4 XLE Premium AWD in extra cost white and black fake leather last week. She bought it from Kings Toyota in Cincinnati. Vehicle was about $350 less than local and Louisville plus saved another $350 on doc fees. Ohio's $250 compared to $599-$750 in Ky. So about $700 better OTD than local.

The sale experience was very good, no high pressure back and forth. Finance was amazing, took less than 10 minutes total to sign 5 forms and print copies. It was somewhat more simple as it was a cash deal, but he never even mentioned any kind of upsell or tried to push anything. The amount of the check was same to the penny as on the buyer's contract emailed to me a week earlier.

I bought my MS3 from Kings Mazda in 2007 and I had a similar experience. In 2015 I would have bought a CPO 2015 Mustang GT from Kings Ford but it literally sold the day I decided to buy it. When I’ve looked at other brands in the Kings Auto Group I have always been treated very well. I live in Louisville but it’s worth the drive to deal with Kings.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

Astro roof option:

I wonder if the people that own that car also own Al Johnsons restaurant in Door county Wisconsin.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,540
    I am sure they double book appointments. Or more likely, just keep taking Ups at the same time. Figuring (rightly) that way too many people who make appointments don't show up (on time, or at all) and don't bother to call to let them know.

May also be the dealerships fault. If he got delayed with another client, the desk person should have been more assertive to either find him (a quick page if the guy is not on site won't do it) or pivoted to getting someone else to help. Heck, the fact that he called later is a pretty good indication that he did not know you were there.

the attitude later was absurd though. It takes no extra time or money to at least pretend to care and apologize, even though I am sure he had mentally put you in the dead pile.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

Astro roof option:

I wonder if the people that own that car also own Al Johnsons restaurant in Door county Wisconsin.

If given the choice of which lawn to cut I’d do the car. Less cutting and closer to the ground too. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited March 2021
    That's like the cars covered with carpet that were around a few years back. Except they didn't have to water the carpet to keep it healthy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Another story from work:
    A guy got a FB friend request from a hot chick. They exchange messages for a while and then she says “You show me yours, I’ll show you mine,” so he sends her a nude video of himself. She responds, “I’m really an adult male living in Africa and if you don’t send me $xxxxx I’ll send your video to everybody on your friends list.”
    He ends up paying the scammer THREE times. Some time later an FBI agent checks in with one of our local police departments and asks for an officer to accompany him to the guy that got scammed. The FBI agent tells the guy, “Listen, the payments you have been making are going to an international terrorist organization; if you make one more payment you will be charged with promoting terrorism.”

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wow. I thought carpet and grass pics were dumb. But the naked FB guy took it to the next level:

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Astro roof option:

If given the choice of which lawn to cut I’d do the car. Less cutting and closer to the ground too. :o

jmonroe
    Notice the goats on the roof? They keep the grass there nice and short.

driver100 said:

Astro roof option:

Oh yah, well we stopped at Goats on the Roof in Parksville British Columbia;

omarman said:

Wow. I thought carpet and grass pics were dumb. But the naked FB guy took it to the next level:

It's hard to beat a naked guy sending videos of himself story.
    I like Mutts Truck though.
    I always liked this guys Plumbing Truck;

Another story from work:
    A guy got a FB friend request from a hot chick. They exchange messages for a while and then she says “You show me yours, I’ll show you mine,” so he sends her a nude video of himself. She responds, “I’m really an adult male living in Africa and if you don’t send me $xxxxx I’ll send your video to everybody on your friends list.”
    He ends up paying the scammer THREE times. Some time later an FBI agent checks in with one of our local police departments and asks for an officer to accompany him to the guy that got scammed. The FBI agent tells the guy, “Listen, the payments you have been making are going to an international terrorist organization; if you make one more payment you will be charged with promoting terrorism.”

Lesson learned...don’t show yours first.

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Astro roof option:

jmonroe
    Notice the goats on the roof? They keep the grass there nice and short.
    I noticed that. Pretty ingenious of that restaurant owner to feed them like that until he served goat stew.

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

I’m guessing that guy won’t be there 6 months from now

Are any of them. . .ever?

I very much enjoy the notion of continuing to deal with people who have treated me well in the past. It's a lost concept in the car business, at least in the west.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    No in-person games here yet, maybe next season. Closest one can get is having a cutout placed in the seats for the shortened WHL season.
    pensfan83 said:

I very much enjoy the notion of continuing to deal with people who have treated me well in the past. It's a lost concept in the car business, at least in the west.
    Almost unheard of car salesmen making a living by staying around anymore. Not like the guy my Dad dealt with. Started by selling him 2 Plymouth’s back in the 50’s then 2 Oldsmobile’s, and then 4 Chevys and finally a Buick. That salesman also sold my Dad’s brother 3 cars IIRC. Another thing from the past that’s gone now.

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,540
    by the time I go shopping again, I can't usually remember the name of the salesguy anyway. Plus it is unusual to get the same brand 2x in a row in short period (I have done it at the end of a 3 year lease). Certainly not without needing to seriously shop around for a good deal!

I also have not had too many that I really liked working with enough to make the attempt. Sadly that usually ends up being pointless because they had moved on anyway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Another story from work:

So you’re saying that I shouldn’t respond to that email from Olga in Russia asking to do the hanky panky with a handsome American? Boy, you’d think you could trust an international super model.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    fintail said:

No in-person games here yet, maybe next season. Closest one can get is having a cutout placed in the seats for the shortened WHL season.

pensfan83 said:

I think 5000 can attend Avs games.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Another story from work:

So you’re saying that I shouldn’t respond to that email from Olga in Russia asking to do the hanky panky with a handsome American? Boy, you’d think you could trust an international super model.
    What happens if someone has already responded....just asking for a friend.

driver100 said:

Another story from work:

What happens if someone has already responded....just asking for a friend.
    I’m sure Olga has a friend too. ;)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Dropped off my info.

I’m thinking you’re right.

As far as double booking, when I inquired about an appt to look at one particular Bolt (Premier?), the sales person responded to me via text, confirming the appointment, as I had to put in my phone # to make the appointment.

If he was with another customer, or had to leave to make a doughnut run, etc it would have taken all of 5 seconds to text me to say he’d be late. I would have understood.

But, nothing? Nada? And, being rude to me for his error? Thanks, but no thanks.

Interestingly enough, this Chevy dealer also owns the BMW dealership right around the corner. I’ve done business with their BMW store many times. Total opposite...those folks are attentive, helpful, punctual, and always polite.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited March 2021

Another story from work:

I would have at least photoshopped a “physically enhanced” picture of myself to send along. Kill two birds with one stone....make myself more desirable and claim plausible deniability it was really me if ever caught! LOL!
    @jwm40517 .....I bought a Camry from Kings Mazda several years ago for my now ex-wife. Easy deal, no games, straight up. Enjoyed working with them.

@roadburner ...had the same experience with Kings Mazda. Bought me ‘04 RX8 from them. Again, easy deal, straight up, no games!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

Interestingly enough, this Chevy dealer also owns the BMW dealership right around the corner. I’ve done business with their BMW store many times. Total opposite...those folks are attentive, helpful, punctual, and always polite.

Wow, the world where you are must be upside-down for that to be the case. Certainly not like that here.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

jwm40517 said:

I bought my MS3 from Kings Mazda in 2007 and I had a similar experience. In 2015 I would have bought a CPO 2015 Mustang GT from Kings Ford but it literally sold the day I decided to buy it. When I’ve looked at other brands in the Kings Auto Group I have always been treated very well. I live in Louisville but it’s worth the drive to deal with Kings.

I don't think all of the "Kings" dealerships are in the same group. Most of them are named after Kings Automall, where they are located. But, off the top of my head, I can't tell you which ones are related, and which aren't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If the salespeople at the dealership wear polo shirts with the dealer's logo? Those guys turn over every four weeks.

Seems like a weird way to spot those kinds of dealerships, but it's been 100% for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Finally, yesterday my wife and I had our first of the Covid-19 jab and I think I like it. But for my wife, not so much. It was the Moderna vaccine developed right here in Boston. I must say when we arrived at the Atrius Kenmore Health Center (by appointment only) the place was well-organized with what appeared to be student volunteers. After checking-in, they hurried us to cubicles, filled out some more paper work and voila it was done.

We were then ushered to an observation area for 15 minutes. While there, my wife said she was feeling pain at the injection site (nothing serious) as well as feeling dizzy and was unable to drive back home. I drove home, sans my glasses, and hit only one pot hole. This morning she is feeling better but still with a slight pain but nothing to cry about.

Now I have to wait for 4 weeks for the second jab B) . It will be the Easter weekend and our kids and grand kids will be coming to celebrate...hope it will not be a super spreader event.

kyfdx said:

jwm40517 said:

I don't think all of the "Kings" dealerships are in the same group. Most of them are named after Kings Automall, where they are located. But, off the top of my head, I can't tell you which ones are related, and which aren't.
    This link is about 3 years old, so not totally up to date. But, Kenwood Dealer Group (Reichart) owns both Kings Toyota and Kings Mazda.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/subscriber-only/2018/02/02/largest-southwest-ohio-auto-dealerships.html
    kyfdx said:

If the salespeople at the dealership wear polo shirts with the dealer's logo? Those guys turn over every four weeks.

Seems like a weird way to spot those kinds of dealerships, but it's been 100% for me.
    I wonder if they get those polo shirts for free or if the dealer sells them to them.....I bet the crappy dealers make the employees buy them.

Another story from work:

I would have at least photoshopped a “physically enhanced” picture of myself to send along. Kill two birds with one stone....make myself more desirable and claim plausible deniability it was really me if ever caught! LOL!
    Ya know, I got to thinking about this and came up with this:

If approached by any friends/folks about this, I’d say just enough to make them drag it out of me that I was approached by the FBI/CIA about my willingness to get involved with catching terrorists. They needed more email info to home in on this group so I went along with what the terrorists wanted. Once our guys had what they wanted I was through because my cover was blown but if you would like to try your hand at being patriotic I can give you a number.

Like I said I was thinking about something like that but your way ain’t so bad and might be more fun. All depends how you want to be perceived, patriotic or sexy. B)

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

I wonder if they get those polo shirts for free or if the dealer sells them to them.....I bet the crappy dealers make the employees buy them.
    And worse yet...wear them. :'(

jmonroe