Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    pensfan83 said:

Well, your priorities are different if you generate a text monthly or quarterly.

This made me LOL. I'm old enough that I remember having to send texts via T9. That ended in 2010 or 2011 when we got our first smartphones.
    My wife was a T9 animal... she was so fast. Lol

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Like having my 3 devices all synced on the same network. I can go from one to the others when needed and never come in here on anything except my laptop at this point.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Taking the Accent to the body shop around 11 so we can get an estimate and set the date for the repair. The first one is always the hardest but she's fine and the bill shouldn't be much over $1K I'm betting.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    edited March 2021

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Taking the Accent to the body shop around 11 so we can get an estimate and set the date for the repair. The first one is always the hardest but she's fine and the bill shouldn't be much over $1K I'm betting.

I think you'll be surprised. I bumped someone with my Elantra GT in the post office parking lot (maybe 2-3 MPH), and the repair bill was north of $4K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited March 2021

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    If I'm going with a mid 80's GM coupe it's gotta be a G-Body. Preferably a Monte Carlo SS or if I didn't have to give my right arm, a GN.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Lincoln is interesting. But isn’t the the 5.4l to avoid? Or is that a later 3 valve?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    tjc78 said:
    I like the Delta, good options, sunroof, nice interior, color, condition, low miles. Too expensive thou,

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    There were so many of those H-body/C-body GM vehicles in my family. I think if it were one year newer, it would've had flush mounted headlights instead of the quad sealed beams.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Lincoln is interesting. But isn’t the the 5.4l to avoid? Or is that a later 3 valve?

Pretty sure it’s the later one.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    The 3 has great resale, but Carvana might be a little optimistic here-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    For reference-

• Options
    Going in May 24th, should take 4 to 5 days. Since we're going through the at fault's persons insurance, Progressive, they have to send someone personally out to check the damages and o k them. Just as long as they fix the vehicle the way it was and she doesn't have to pay her deductible, we're good. They did an excellent job on my Golf and mine was pretty extensive work. This will be the 3rd or 4th repair we've taken there and they do excellent work and are a "preffered shop" for all the major insurance companies.
    Not sure if we'll get a rental through their company as the girls are still debating on taking the A3 when they go out of town. As of now, the wife wants to use her A3 and not have to be overly concerned having a rental. So be it, but I'll be in town working so I'll take it in & pick it up when done. A dad's work is never done I guess but, am happy to do it really!

• Options
    Got a letter from US Bank today reminding me that I only have a year left on my lease. Like I haven't been looking the entire time!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    If there is one thing this group knows, it’s the lease end date. I’ll forget my anniversary before I forget that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Paid $2.59 for regular earlier today. Daughter needed it for the Accent. The wife mentioned she's pretty low also so guess I'll be going out after dinner to fill hers up. I did an experiment the last couple of weeks and filled up on the same day on the way home. Turns out both weeks, only used about 4 gallons/week. Not surprised really because I've cut back a lot and went down to under 3K/year when I used to do about 13K/year. Those five year of doing the higher mileage is where all the miles came from. Very glad I switched jobs now.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    stickguy said:

If there is one thing this group knows, it’s the lease end date. I’ll forget my anniversary before I forget that.

Dog house for you sir.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Mine is weird since my understanding is that US Bank generally offers a six month extension at the same payment, and will waive the dispo fee if you take it, so it could be either February or August, 2022.
  • Options
    corvette said:

Mine is weird since my understanding is that US Bank generally offers a six month extension at the same payment, and will waive the dispo fee if you take it, so it could be either February or August, 2022.

This is true. But, if you extend past January 1st, you'll have to pay property tax for the next year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Is it worth it to extend it then in your case? Have never leased so don't know what fees are involved. But for my kind of mileage, it might just be worth it, depending on the vehicle. I've never looked into it so really need some guidance here if I do decide to try that route next time.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

This is true. But, if you extend past January 1st, you'll have to pay property tax for the next year.
    Looks like I'm stuck paying the tax in 2022 either way. I got mildly freaked out the other day since it's my birth month and I hadn't gotten a registration renewal reminder in the mail. Turns out the tags on the Tundra are good through November, which I assume has something to do with it being a lease.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    14 months left on the Outback. Kind of dreading the decision because on one hand I'd just as soon lease another and on the other it seems like I'd be silly not to entertain some kind of an EV...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    breld said:

Another local listing (private one) for an identical M2.

2018 M2

At least gives me an idea of what a clean one looks like - looking at these pics I find myself liking the gray just fine. And the dealership has theirs listed for less than this private seller, albeit w/22k miles vs 11k. And the private seller's car apparently has a minor accident reported on the carfax - he goes to great lengths to explain how minor it was, but unfortunately for him, it shows up.

I see too many people that go great lengths to explain a collision was "minor" to believe it at all anymore. It's sort of in the same arena as "AC just needs a recharge."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    edited March 2021
    iluvmysephia II here...

So, how's this for an evil plan: 2021 Audi A7 PHEV. $2k mfg rebate, $2k Costco cash, ~$6500 federal tax credit. Ok, it's still nearly twice the price of a used A7, but that's a lot of trunk money!
    And, of course, the fiance is very supportive, "Really, Laurasdada? Really? ~$65k for a car? You have a perfectly nice car! Do you have enough $ for the down payment on the home we're building? For the pavers? For the upgraded (well, everything)? Do you?"

I'm now seriously thinking of ordering a '21 Jag XF to my specs; Bluefire blue exterior with Sienna tan interior and wood veneer option. A few other goodies. I think I'm just a Jag guy, might as well by what may be the last of their ICE sedans! From what I've seen, very skinny margin MSRP-Invoice. Currently $1k customer cash.

"Really, Laurasdada? Really? You already have a Jag. So, you're going to spend ~$52k just so you can get a blue one? Really?!"

She's actually wonderful and supportive, but the "Really...?" is a running joke in that I know that's what she's thinking every time I start talking new cars. She said she's never said that, which is true. But, when I ask if she thinks it every time, she smiles and does not deny it.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948

iluvmysephia II here...

So, how's this for an evil plan: 2021 Audi A7 PHEV. $2k mfg rebate, $2k Costco cash, ~$6500 federal tax credit. Ok, it's still nearly twice the price of a used A7, but that's a lot of trunk money!
    And, of course, the fiance is very supportive, "Really, Laurasdada? Really? ~$65k for a car? You have a perfectly nice car! Do you have enough $ for the down payment on the home we're building? For the pavers? For the upgraded (well, everything)? Do you?"

I'm now seriously thinking of ordering a '21 Jag XF to my specs; Bluefire blue exterior with Sienna tan interior and wood veneer option. A few other goodies. I think I'm just a Jag guy, might as well by what may be the last of their ICE sedans! From what I've seen, very skinny margin MSRP-Invoice. Currently $1k customer cash.

"Really, Laurasdada? Really? You already have a Jag. So, you're going to spend ~$52k just so you can get a blue one? Really?!"

She's actually wonderful and supportive, but the "Really...?" is a running joke in that I know that's what she's thinking every time I start talking new cars. She said she's never said that, which is true. But, when I ask if she thinks it every time, she smiles and does not deny it.

Get yours wrapped. Will feel like a new car. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Looks like I'm stuck paying the tax in 2022 either way. I got mildly freaked out the other day since it's my birth month and I hadn't gotten a registration renewal reminder in the mail. Turns out the tags on the Tundra are good through November, which I assume has something to do with it being a lease.
    I misunderstood. Yes, extending it would be a good deal, then

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Spotted this on my local walk, today, flying overhead. I’ve never seen one, before.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozen said:

iluvmysephia II here...

Get yours wrapped. Will feel like a new car. ;)
    Another post I can't let her see.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited March 2021

iluvmysephia II here...

What about an I-Pace? You like Jags and you like hatchbacks. I have to think that dealers are motivated on those. Plus full tax credit.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

It's a choice you must make: Peace of mind or piece of mind? You can have one or the other - never both.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

Spotted this on my local walk, today, flying overhead. I’ve never seen one, before.

It's amazing how detailed they can make those drones nowadays! Nice shot! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Ha! That’s not my picture. But, it was shocking to see. Flying no higher than your typical Cessna.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I got a drone for Christmas. Still haven't taken it on its maiden voyage. :D
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    stickguy said:

I think I posted this for TJC a few weeks ago, but now they have pictures. Looks pretty clean. Interesting color. Not sure I ever saw a TC in a color like this before.

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2006-lincoln-town_car-4dr_sedan_signature_limited-used-1lnhm82w66y642638.html

And this modern version looks pretty nice. Miles a bit steep, but price took quite a haircut.

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2017-cadillac-xts-4dr_sedan_luxury_fwd-used-2g61m5s30h9147405.html

I’d take the 106k miles on the TC over the 82k miles on the Caddy. That 4.6L is bulletproof proof. I’d worry about electronic gremlins creeping in on the xts and the 3.6L could have timing chain woes without regular oil changes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Michaell said:

I think you'll be surprised. I bumped someone with my Elantra GT in the post office parking lot (maybe 2-3 MPH), and the repair bill was north of $4K.
    $2600 in damages IIRC.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78 said:
    If you view that Lincoln as just a low mile F-150 it makes sense (although not at that price).

I had an 82’ Olds 88 coupe which was nice to look at but was absolute junk. I also had a 91’ Olds 88 sedan which was a much better car. Both cars died of cancer which is what all 80s and 90s GM cars did in the Northeast.

I don’t know what to say about the Nissan but I imagine a 45 year old vehicle rescued from the jungles of Columbia must be in great shape.

• Options

iluvmysephia II here...

Just tell her that if she insists, you’ll take the Jag @$52k and save her $13k over buying the Audi.

• Options
    tifighter said:

iluvmysephia II here...

What about an I-Pace? You like Jags and you like hatchbacks. I have to think that dealers are motivated on those. Plus full tax credit.
    If I were ready to electrify, the I-Pace would be near the top of my list. But, BEV isn't yet for me; the overall electric vehicle-verse still seems in beta to me.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    qbrozen said:

Took a friend out in the Camaro last night. I got on it harder than before. Man, that thing is a hoot. He was giggling like a little girl. The stock rear tires are not going to last me long.

I will say that I am very impressed with how well behaved the traction control is. I never feel it completely stifle the power, as I have had in pretty much every other fast car I have ever owned. I have found that, unless I want to completely melt the tires, leaving it engaged is a better choice. It lets it break loose just a little and then pulls like a train.

Okay, so when are we scheduling the post-COVID Edmunds crew meet-up at the Qbrozen Amusement Park?! $20 day passes! :D
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Have fun, as if. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I think somebody already posted that Camaro love = thin the herd. Predictions? :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    omarman said:

I think somebody already posted that Camaro love = thin the herd. Predictions? :smile:

The Charger is the obvious choice. If his wife drives the Camaro at all, I'm also going to predict the 500c, as, although they are very different, it and the Camaro are both 2+2 cars.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    @kyfdx V22 osprey?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Have fun, as if. . .

What?! I can swing by to get you on my way through.... ;)
  • Options

@kyfdx V22 osprey?

Definitely. I was stunned. It was flying low enough to be unmistakable. (even though I'd never seen one live)

Naturally, no phone with me for a picture.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    xwesx said:

Have fun, as if. . .

What?! I can swing by to get you on my way through.... ;)
    Only you would consider Arizona "on the way" from Alaska to NJ. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I've seen those Osprey's in aircraft mode headed back to Norfolk when we were in Hatteras.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert