Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

1787980818284»

Comments

• RayeElizaRayeEliza Member Posts: 6
    mlevine said:

I would lean toward subaru. Need to see which model you are comfortable in. Mazda SUVs and honda SUVs also not a bad choice.

I have not experienced driving a Subaru. How are they usually when it comes to driving and mileage?
  • RayeElizaRayeEliza Member Posts: 6
    mcdawgg said:

RayeEliza said:

I am doing major research in trying to find my new car, which I am more leaning towards an SUV. Since I recently moved to Washington state and having to deal with snow, I will need a car that I can drive in snow without issues. I am also looking for somewhat good mileage and really good cargo space. I have only three cars I'm looking for that I am interested in which are the Subaru Outback, Toyota RAV4 hybrid, and the Subaru Forester. Which of these would you all recommend or if there are any others that sound just as good. The optimal price range is below $35,000.

Toyota, especially for the long-term reliability.
    I can vouch for Toyota being reliable because a family member owns a Prius for 12 years and still runs well.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    You'll want to drive them. The Subarus have CVTs, some folks don't like how they drive.
  • dgrockdgrock Member Posts: 2
    Need advice on a late model car/mid-size SUV. Looking to spend no more than 35k. Likes: AWD, responsive, comfortable, smooth ride, well-appointed interior with tech. Something with space for a road trip. Nothing too small....I like the Audi A4 Allroad but they are pricey.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    dgrock said:

Need advice on a late model car/mid-size SUV. Looking to spend no more than 35k. Likes: AWD, responsive, comfortable, smooth ride, well-appointed interior with tech. Something with space for a road trip. Nothing too small....I like the Audi A4 Allroad but they are pricey.

CPO XC60 or V60CC. Can get one well under budget.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ncsprngstnncsprngstn Member Posts: 43
    Odd comparison here, but I am choosing between the CUV route (Mazda CX5 Grand Touring) and mid-size sedan route (Kia K5 GT Line AWD). The Kia looks great, while the Mazda is a bit frumpy looking in comparison, but Mazda is more powerful and has some high end features. Which would you choose and why?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Odd comparison here, but I am choosing between the CUV route (Mazda CX5 Grand Touring) and mid-size sedan route (Kia K5 GT Line AWD). The Kia looks great, while the Mazda is a bit frumpy looking in comparison, but Mazda is more powerful and has some high end features. Which would you choose and why?

Members have posted pictures of the K5's they've bought or leased, and it is a sharp looking vehicle.

But, I get the popularity of CUV's, especially for older folks.

Horses for courses.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 60Bees60Bees Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'd love to get some advice - I'm looking for a subcompact SUV with 5 star safety, good gas mileage (I'd love AWD because I'm taking it up north, but I'd rather have good MPG if I had to pick between the two) enough storage space (I'm a musician and travel with guitars) AND good acceleration. I love the Subaru Forester and am interested in the Crosstrek, but the ones I'm finding are consistently a little out of my price range - does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate? Something still cost effective, and not too big?

(I was thinking something like the Chevy Trax, but I keep seeing it has lackluster acceleration. I've tried the Mazda CX5 and it had nowhere near enough pickup for me - I had my foot on the floor on the highway! I also tried and loved the FIAT500x, but wasn't sure about it since it's not NHTSA rated - just to give you an idea of other cars I've tried out)

Thank you in advance for your help - this will be the first car I've ever financed and I really want to make sure I get something I'll be happy with!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    60Bees said:

Hi all, I'd love to get some advice - I'm looking for a subcompact SUV with 5 star safety, good gas mileage (I'd love AWD because I'm taking it up north, but I'd rather have good MPG if I had to pick between the two) enough storage space (I'm a musician and travel with guitars) AND good acceleration. I love the Subaru Forester and am interested in the Crosstrek, but the ones I'm finding are consistently a little out of my price range - does anyone have any recommendations for an alternate? Something still cost effective, and not too big?

(I was thinking something like the Chevy Trax, but I keep seeing it has lackluster acceleration. I've tried the Mazda CX5 and it had nowhere near enough pickup for me - I had my foot on the floor on the highway! I also tried and loved the FIAT500x, but wasn't sure about it since it's not NHTSA rated - just to give you an idea of other cars I've tried out)

Thank you in advance for your help - this will be the first car I've ever financed and I really want to make sure I get something I'll be happy with!

An Impreza hatchback is basically the same vehicle as a Crosstrek, for less money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Give the new Mazda CX-30 with the turbo engine a look. It sits up a few inches higher and with the 2.5 turbo under the hood, you should be good to go. It's a new engine for the 2021 model year. I like them and drove one at work. I liked it...a lot. It does have that wonkey audio system though with the dial for the volume and the radio and media in the center console like our Audi A3 but hear it's easy once one gets used to using it. I prefer the easier set up for the audio system in my VW Golf but could live with the set up in the Mazda and Audi once I learned it.
    Give it a look see...think you might find it fits the bill nicely.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• IncognitoMysteryIncognitoMystery Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a used commuter car.

I currently own an older Miata, which I love but it's not practical for commuting. The reason being the only parking near my new job is valet garages. The valets tend to teach people how to drive stick on my car even though they say they don't. I haven't had to replace a clutch in over 15 years but then had to do it twice in a year just parking at any of a handful of garages nearby (reset trip meter try to argue it since there's usually about 50 miles after resetting it when I leave work but they don't care). So my next car has to be an automatic to avoid this issue.

Ideally since I will be driving approximately 120 miles round trip into work, I would prefer this vehicle to be as cheap as possible, yet somewhat reliable. I will likely drive the car 100k miles every 3 years so I only expect the used car to last about 3-4 years. Currently I've been looking at cars that have less than 80k miles and are under 10k. I would like some with backup cameras built in but not a necessity. Also prefer 4 doors to do other errands (I was looking at a Mazda CX-5 so I could do normal shopping but also trips to IKEA/Target) before the pandemic to be able to hold things that my Miata can't.

The cars I've found between that range on various sites are:
    09-12 Mini Cooper ~6k
    13-14 BMW 320i ~10k
    12-14 Volvo S60 ~11k
    09-13 Nissan Rogue ~11k
    10-13 Nissan Sentra ~9k
    11-13 Honda Fit ~11k
    14-15 Toyota Corolla ~11k
    14-15 Honda Civic ~11k

Most seem significantly higher than the price last year. In Jan of 2020 I was seeing prices like:
    Sentra ~6k
    Honda Fit ~9k
    Toyota Corolla ~8k
    Honda Civic ~8k

Which has me thinking of the Mini Coopers and BMW 320i even though I know the maintenance costs would be higher if something broke while commuting. The 320i might also be more comfortable in the long drives in the morning through traffic.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2021
    Great that you love to drive and have a Miata. Condolences on your killed clutches. As you probably know, prices are rising for new and used cars because of a shortage of computer chips that are essential for making cars these days. Since you're thinking you'll drive 100,000 miles over the next three years I'm not sure if an old BMW or Mini is the best choice, because as you mentioned repairs might get expensive.

Given the miles you drive, you might possibly consider a new Hyundai Elantra, which is the same size as the Civic but costs less. Hyundai currently has 0% financing for 60 months on that car, plus you don't have to make your first payment for 90 days. Hyundai also gives free maintenance for the first 36,000 miles, and has a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission. Just a thought.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/offers

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/assurance/complimentary-maintenance

PS And if you drive about 33,000 miles a year, you'd save about $1300 in gas a year by driving an Elantra instead of a 2010 Mini Cooper. Here's a handy app to do your own customized mpg comparison for whatever cars you want. You can adjust the mileage driven each year with this app.
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect
    This is a screenshot of a comparison I did assuming 33k miles that are 80% highway.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

I like where Ben’s head is at. However, given the number of miles, I’d be concerned with comfort. Volvo CPO offers a warranty that can be extended to 7 yrs and unlimited miles. Find one that was punched no more than 3 yrs ago and you’ve got 4 yrs of no worries. CPO 2018 S60s can be had for low $20k range, and I believe they have special financing right now, too. Here is just one example near me.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/838394432/overview?aff=share_other

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Totally agree with Ben also, so much better to have a new vehicle than a used older one as that drama that you'll no doubt eventually have will be gone from the equation. And Hyundai/Kia has really come a long long way over the past couple of decades. Am in a somewhat similar situation as I want a new or newer vehicle but not sure if I want anymore vehicular drama going forward, as it does get tedious after a couple of times. And right now, the new Elantra is such a cool vehicle as it looks great and has a great interior. You can't go wrong getting one of those. And I'm also considering leasing for the first time since my yearly mileage has decreased so much that it's finally doable.
    Good luck with whatever you end up doing here and please, keep us in the loop. Once you do a pro's vs. con's list, think it'll become pretty obvious what y'all should do!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• GrgrlGrgrl Member Posts: 2
    hello I'm looking for a subcompact suv preferably used.. i have a 5 month old currently. I'm looking for all equip money doesn't matter..

I was looking at the vw Tiguan 2016 and Honda hrv 2018 mazda cx3 but i have no idea what about subarru crosstrek any help is appreciated i am so lost so many choices I am a Toyota fan but don't like the crv

@Grgrl said:
    hello I'm looking for a subcompact suv preferably used.. i have a 5 month old currently. I'm looking for all equip money doesn't matter..

I was looking at the vw Tiguan 2016 and Honda hrv 2018 mazda cx3 but i have no idea what about subarru crosstrek any help is appreciated i am so lost so many choices I am a Toyota fan but don't like the crv

If money doesn’t matter, get new. Used prices are ridiculous right now.

CRV is not a Toyota. Maybe you meant CHR? A Tiguan is bigger than the others, that’s for sure. That competes more with the CRV/RAV4.

• GrgrlGrgrl Member Posts: 2
    qbrozen said:

@Grgrl said:

CRV is not a Toyota. Maybe you meant CHR? A Tiguan is bigger than the others, that’s for sure. That competes more with the CRV/RAV4.

meh im not in a ruch to buy right now i can totaly wait
    qbrozen said:

@Grgrl said:

Yes sorry my bad i meant the chr.. the issue is i dont do alot of miles so to buy new and to have seat on the parking lot i dunno i dont considere a good spend.. also the rav4 and crv are the 2 most stolen cars in my areas so i want to avoid them
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722

@Grgrl said:

Get new, and, if long-term reliability is extremely important to you, Toyota.

• I like Nissan, BMW, Acura, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, Oldsmobile, Ford Crown Victoria, Toyota, Mazda, and VW.

Which is the best car out of the Above under the year 2001. I'm a 17 male and want the first car,
    I like a car to have acceleration, and safety, power. If you have an awesome car that isn't above then please comment too.

Thanks!!
    Camry SE V6.

@texases said:
    Camry SE V6.

Was there an SE trim back then? I don’t believe so.

@Hikeandbikeare4me_ said:
    I like Nissan, BMW, Acura, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, Oldsmobile, Ford Crown Victoria, Toyota, Mazda, and VW.

Which is the best car out of the Above under the year 2001. I'm a 17 male and want the first car,
    I like a car to have acceleration, and safety, power. If you have an awesome car that isn't above then please comment too.

Thanks!!

Budget?

qbrozen said:

@texases said:

Camry SE V6.

Was there an SE trim back then? I don’t believe so.

What model year? I looked at the Camry SE V6 back in 2002.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@Michaell said:
    What model year? I looked at the Camry SE V6 back in 2002.

OP said “under 2001”

• Hello, currently looking into leasing a 2022 Honda Accord. According to my calculations total payments seems to be around $16,000 - 18,000 over the course of 36 months. At what point would financing (over 48 months) be a better option?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199

Hello, currently looking into leasing a 2022 Honda Accord. According to my calculations total payments seems to be around $16,000 - 18,000 over the course of 36 months. At what point would financing (over 48 months) be a better option?

You'll never get a lower payment financing for 48 months vs. a 36 months lease. But, in the long run you'll probably be better off buying, if you can make the higher monthly payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@BrilliantWaves said:
    Hello, currently looking into leasing a 2022 Honda Accord. According to my calculations total payments seems to be around $16,000 - 18,000 over the course of 36 months. At what point would financing (over 48 months) be a better option?

Good god. ~$470/mo to rent a Honda? That is brutal.

I like Nissan, BMW, Acura, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, Oldsmobile, Ford Crown Victoria, Toyota, Mazda, and VW.

Thanks!!

Toyota or Mazda are best for long-term reliability.

• Hikeandbikeare4me_Hikeandbikeare4me_ Member Posts: 47
    pat said:

Need help choosing your next vehicle?

Tell us your price range, are you thinking New or Used, buying or leasing, what features are must-haves, what other thoughts are on your mind, and let us give you a hand! Tell us your criteria as specifically as you can.

You'll find lots of helpful folks here who can give you useful suggestions.

I'm looking for a job so I don't have an income yet, but I'm looking for a beginners car that is used and I want to buy it outright, I don't care what it has in it but I want or I hope it will have good acceleration, safe, nice looking but I don't care too much about the looks right now.

I like sedans, coupes, hatchbacks and SUVs. I don't like large cars like big SUVs or trucks. It can be electric, hybrid or gas I don't care. But I know that gas is getting expansive so a hybrid or electric might be nice.

Thank you!

I'm looking for a job so I don't have an income yet, but I'm looking for a beginners car that is used and I want to buy it outright, I don't care what it has in it but I want or I hope it will have good acceleration, safe, nice looking but I don't care too much about the looks right now.

I like sedans, coupes, hatchbacks and SUVs. I don't like large cars like big SUVs or trucks. It can be electric, hybrid or gas I don't care. But I know that gas is getting expansive so a hybrid or electric might be nice.

Thank you!

Gotta at least give us a price ceiling to work with, and don’t forget tax and tags

qbrozen said:

Thank you!

Gotta at least give us a price ceiling to work with, and don’t forget tax and tags

Okay, let me see. I would say $10,000 max but if you go to like 12K then that's fine too. What do you mean tags?

Okay, let me see. I would say $10,000 max but if you go to like 12K then that's fine too. What do you mean tags?

Plates and registration.
    Are you in Canada?

qbrozen said:

Plates and registration.

Are you in Canada?

Okay, thank you.
    I'm in Canada.
    qbrozen said:

Plates and registration.

Are you in Canada?

One more thing is don't want a car that is like 2014 and up.
    I have zero clue about Canadian used car prices. That said, my go-to used cheaper vehicles are: the Duratec 3.0 powered Ford Fusion or Escape/Tribute/Mariner triplets; 2.3 liter mazda3/mazda6; Infiniti G35/37/X35/X37 or EX35/37; Dodge Challenger/Charger 5.7; or a Ford Panther product (Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln Towncar, Ford Crown Vic).

• eednapeseednapes Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, wifey and I are trying to decide on a car. We're going second hand, under 30K km, 2019 and later. We're looking for a car that's a bit raised but not too big. Since we live in Europe, something like a RAV4 or VW Tiguan is out of the question, but we don't want it to be too small either as we have 1 kid and another on the way.

In our budget, we've narrowed it to these:
    * Audi Q2 with the s-trim (2019)
    * Mazda CX-30 (2020 or 2021)
    * VW T-Roc (especially the 2021 and up models)

Ones we eliminated:
    * Volvo XC40: my favourite in terms of design, both in and out. But maybe a bit too big, and I keep hearing bad things about Volvo's reliability (although I'm struggling to find actual users online who have anything bad to say about volvo, at least on Reddit)
    * Mazda CX-3 and CX-5: too small and too big, respectively. Something exactly in between would've been ideal (the CX-30 isn't that)

With the Q2, my issue is that 1) I keep hearing Audi is not as reliable as Mazda and maintenance costs are higher, 2) most review websites have a more favourable view of the CX-30. The ride didn't also feel as nice as the CX-30 (CX-30 a bit more sporty).

With the CX-30, my wife thought it's too small (smaller than the Q2), especially in the back seat and in the trunk. I felt the same. BUt when I look at the official numbers, the CX-30 has 430L and the Q2 has 405L.

With the T-Roc... it's a bit on the big side, and the interior doesn't feel as nice as the Mazda or the Audi. The ride didn't feel as nice as the Mazda either, although it was more comfortable in general.

So, what do you guys think? Any recommendations? Helpful input? Thanks
    No Subaru Crosstrek available?
    edited May 2022
    I'm really confused how a CX3 is too small but a Q2 is not. Are you going strictly by cargo capacity behind the 2nd row? That can be affected greatly by seating position. Meaning, the CX3 and Q2 are very close in overall dimensions (the CX3 is slightly larger), so the additional cargo capacity in the Q2 is possibly a result of less rear seat legroom. I don't know Q2 rear legroom, but the Q3 has just 1 inch more than the CX3.

@eednapes said:
    Hi everyone, wifey and I are trying to decide on a car. We're going second hand, under 30K km, 2019 and later. We're looking for a car that's a bit raised but not too big. Since we live in Europe, something like a RAV4 or VW Tiguan is out of the question, but we don't want it to be too small either as we have 1 kid and another on the way.

In our budget, we've narrowed it to these:

• Audi Q2 with the s-trim (2019)
    • Mazda CX-30 (2020 or 2021)
    • VW T-Roc (especially the 2021 and up models)

Ones we eliminated:

• Volvo XC40: my favourite in terms of design, both in and out. But maybe a bit too big, and I keep hearing bad things about Volvo's reliability (although I'm struggling to find actual users online who have anything bad to say about volvo, at least on Reddit)
    • Mazda CX-3 and CX-5: too small and too big, respectively. Something exactly in between would've been ideal (the CX-30 isn't that)

With the Q2, my issue is that 1) I keep hearing Audi is not as reliable as Mazda and maintenance costs are higher, 2) most review websites have a more favourable view of the CX-30. The ride didn't also feel as nice as the CX-30 (CX-30 a bit more sporty).

With the CX-30, my wife thought it's too small (smaller than the Q2), especially in the back seat and in the trunk. I felt the same. BUt when I look at the official numbers, the CX-30 has 430L and the Q2 has 405L.

With the T-Roc... it's a bit on the big side, and the interior doesn't feel as nice as the Mazda or the Audi. The ride didn't feel as nice as the Mazda either, although it was more comfortable in general.

So, what do you guys think? Any recommendations? Helpful input? Thanks

If long-term reliability is important, skip VW and Audi.

Had no idea there was a Q2? Does that also mean there is an A2 also? Think if there was an A2 and it was offered in the states, my wife would've gone for it instead of her A3. I like the size of the A3 and like to drive it whenever I can. Since it's hers and has just over 68K on the clock, let her drive it as much as possible because don't want to be behind the wheel if something goes wrong.

• carfinder23carfinder23 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I need help looking for a car. I had a Nissan Altima 3.5SR V6 with manual transmission and unfortunately it was totaled recently (it was a minor accident but Nissan does not make the airbag control module for this model anymore). I really miss it, full leather interior with moonroof and decent mileage.

I'm now looking for a replacement. I really enjoy and value the driving experience, top of my list is a manual transmission with comparable engine (>200+ hp and torque). I've test drove the 2018 BMW 330i and I like it but I read that BMWs should be leased not owned.

I'm open to other models and I have 2-3 months to search. I'm looking for a 4 door sedan, manual transmission (this makes it hard), at least 240 hp and torque, with <50000 miles, <5 years old, heated leather seats, moonroof, for around $20,000 (without accidents).

Really hope to receive some suggestions here. Thank you.

Hi,
    I need help looking for a car. I had a Nissan Altima 3.5SR V6 with manual transmission and unfortunately it was totaled recently (it was a minor accident but Nissan does not make the airbag control module for this model anymore). I really miss it, full leather interior with moonroof and decent mileage.

I'm now looking for a replacement. I really enjoy and value the driving experience, top of my list is a manual transmission with comparable engine (>200+ hp and torque). I've test drove the 2018 BMW 330i and I like it but I read that BMWs should be leased not owned.

I'm open to other models and I have 2-3 months to search. I'm looking for a 4 door sedan, manual transmission (this makes it hard), at least 240 hp and torque, with <50000 miles, <5 years old, heated leather seats, moonroof, for around $20,000 (without accidents).

Really hope to receive some suggestions here. Thank you. </p>

Everything was good, until you got to the price point.

The Accord Sport 2.0T ticks most of those boxes, but they are likely to be $30K, or thereabouts.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Yikes. I got nuthin.
    I entered all your criteria within 200 miles of me on cargurus and came up with 6 vehicles, NONE of which meet your power requirement.

Thanks for helping me look @Michaell and @qbrozen.

I looked at the Accord, it could work, I found some at $22-24k, but doesn't have everything that I'm looking for. I could stretch and go up to $25k.
    edited January 2023
    Ya know ... if you are willing to stretch, I suggest going new and taking a gander at a Forte GT. For $25,985, it comes with nearly all your above criteria and a 10-year warranty. It is 201hp, but in a lighter car, it should move out pretty well. And, while not technically "leather," almost nobody uses real leather anymore anyway. Disclosure: I've never even seen one, so I can't personally vouch for it.

Probably going to have to search hard to find a dealer who isn't marking them up, but they are out there.

Thanks for the suggestion @qbrozen.
    Actually, I did test drive the Forte GT, I was "expanding" my options and went in to a dealer to test drive the Jetta GLI (which I didn't like), and they had a 2022 Forte GT in the lot and suggested I try it. I found it to be a better experience than the Jetta GLI, but I just couldn't get into it. The overall cabin experience just wasn't satisfying to me.
    What do you guys think of the "BMWs are for leasing and not owning" mantra? I've seen opinions that they are very leaky getting closer to 100k miles, and maintenance and repairs are expensive. I liked the premium experience of the 2018 330i, but I'm not technically inclined (nor am I printing money). Just an average guy that enjoys an engaging driving experience and wants something that is reliable with minimal care/maintenance.
    It just all depends. I believe you can get a 330e for less than a 330i. I could be mistaken. Anyway, I wouldn't suggest owning one long-term past warranty. But you could possibly drive it from, let's say, $25k value down to $10k value, and get out of it without too much damage to your wallet. Find a good independent mechanic, though. Don't want to pay BMW dealership prices even for oil changes.