Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i have a 2 wheel drive with the full towing package and 3.92 rearend and i was informed by my dealer that it includes synthetic fluid in the rear (WRONG!). i do alot of heavy towing and it (tore up form the floor up) my rear end haha i have had 6 tries to correct this issue and i am currently in the process of a buy back on my truck. but i love this truck so much and it fits so many needs of mine that i do fully intend on getting another one but i will without a doubt put synth fluids in every nook and cranny i can! my problem was dealer related incompetence initially and has proven to be hard to fix since so d/c says they wil buy it back. not sure about others experiences but so far d/c has proven to stand behind their product.,

Good luck and lube up.

robert
  • maceymacey Member Posts: 59
    Just spoke to DC, appears the recall is not affecting builds at the plant, my truck is still in the same status as last Wednesday, D1, with the same estimated ship date of 4/12 (order went into system on 3/19)

What ever is needed to be fixed with the TC module will be done at the dealer during new car prep.

So, check for console light, offset axle, TC activity, etc, geez DC, where is this German efficency and quality control you were suppose to bring to the table after buying Chrysler?

FWIW, Customer Service seems pretty good though...
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    If you pull a trailer with electric brakes, you have to buy the control box separately. DC or any other dealers do not include this because it usually comes with the trailer and most people will take their's from one vehicle to the other. With the tow package it is very simple. You have a place to plug it into and then you mount the control box in a convenient spot. You want to be able to reach it easily so that in a pinch you can manual operate the trailer brakes without touching the brake pedal. If you ever experienced tail wag, you will appreciate that real fast and I have yet to find a RV hauler that has not experienced that once.
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    does any one know how much this would cost to purchase and add to a sport model?
  • indyrdmindyrdm Member Posts: 8
    My Quad SLT 4x2 is also missing the 'Quad Cab' badge. I took delivery on saturday and didn't even notice it was missing until it was mentioned in here.
    From the NHTSA site:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V077000

Component: POWER TRAIN TRANSFER CASE (4-WHEEL DRIVE)
    Manufacturer: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATI
    Mfg. Campaign #: 975
    Year: 2001
    Make: DODGE TRUCK
    Model: DAKOTA
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 85400
    Manufactured From: JUL 1999 To: JAN 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Light duty trucks and sport utility vehicles equipped with 4-wheel drive. The electric shift transfer case may not fully engage into gear when the operator moves the transfer case selector switch.

This could cause the transfer case to end up in the neutral position unexpectedly and allow the vehicle to roll away if the parking brake is not applied.

Dealers will reprogram the transfer case control module. Owner notification began April 9, 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-843-1403. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    What is with DC "deleting" parts from our Quads. First it was the V-8 badge, then hood insulations, QC badges, interior lights. What's next... the tailgate?
  • stiletto150stiletto150 Member Posts: 4
    I think it's been talked about before, but does anyone have any knowledge of a subwoofer enclosure for the Quad? Seeing that there's no room behind the rear seats, next best bet is under the floor of the rear seats. MTX makes a great under-the-seat unit for the extended-cab, but I've found nothing from any manufacturer for the Quad. Any information appreciated.
  • biglucybiglucy Member Posts: 140
    WELCOME to all the new Quad Cabbies!!! It would seem to me that 2001 QC sales are way up, and this forum is really taking off <B') I don't think any of the other Pickup forums at Edmunds has the number of folks that we do, rightcha 'here.
    I hope we bought a quality vehicle, or we're all @#!$!* !!! Taking away the truly expensive QC badge is not a good sign. I didn't know that a console light was ever available?

Thanks for the info on the Recall.

*** I noticed a green slime weeping out of my front differential-long axle side. Anyone know what this green stuff is... thread sealer/lubricant???

ayrow - as usual, excellent job with the Herculiner, nice quality job you did. I would have liked to seen the picture of the bed completely stripped, at first was it kind of like doing surgery on your own child?!? (untill you start sweating and cussing, then all bets are off :)

dhoag - The rustproofing issue sounds like a scene out of "Fargo" and way slippery to me. I didn't have any -proofing- sold to me when I bought my truck and in my opinion, it's a dealer scam.

ferous - DC states that removing the tailgate improves gas mileage!!

ford_bii - My salesman also quit the day after he sold me the truck... hmmm. I've often wonder if that was just another dealer mindgame?
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I have an '01 QC, SLT-Plus, 4.7L, HD and T&H pack. with BUCKET seats. I have a console light AND an electrical outlet in the front of the console. I also have an electrical outlet on the dash; in addition to the cigarette lighter.

FYI: Mine DOES have the "Quad Cab" badges.

Why aren't the HEAD RESTS ADJUSTABLE??? I'm 6'3" and the head rest comes to the BOTTOM of my neck. Can you say "Whiplash"? How much could it cost to add adjustable headrests? I'd gladly pay the difference.

PS. My right-front wheel still makes the popping/squeaking sound when making right turns while applying brakes. As soon as I get a break at work, I'll take it in for the 1st oil change AND get this fixed.

GATOR72
  • ayrowayrow Member Posts: 99
    Bill,

I share(d) you feelings about the headrests. It is an absulte ridiculous thing the way Dodge designed these seats. Even the more expensive bucket seats are not much better.

I did solve the problem, however.

You can see what I did here:

http://www.ayrow.com/seats.html

Good Luck

• wantone2wantone2 Member Posts: 19
    I got a call from my salesman Monday that my new Silver Quad Cab has come in. I ordered it on March 12th and it came in on April the 2nd. It caught me off guard, I checked with the Farm Bureau and my first 30 days of being a member is not up until Friday, so I have to wait to go get my truck on Saturday, but I guess its worth waiting for the $500 rebate. Thanks to everyone on this site, I have a huge list of things to check out when I get there. I just hope I don't have any unpleasant surprises. I really like this forum and find myself checking it every night when I get on the internet, everyone on here seems to be very dedicated Quad owners and it is interesting keeping up with what others are going through, both good and bad, thankfully mostly good from what I have observed. I'll post an update this weekend after I pick up my Quad.
    I am STILL waiting for the discount from Farm Bureau!!

I bought my truck about two months ago and I am still waiting for the dealer to get the paperwork back from Chrysler. Then, and only then, would they cut me a check.

What a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
  • okwildcatterokwildcatter Member Posts: 12
    My Farm Bureau discount was as easy as handing the finance guy the membership card. They credited me 500$ right there and took care of all the paperwork. Sometimes (but not often) the dealers give you good service.
    I do not see the big deal about the badges. I am glad that they discontinued the V8 badges on the 01s and wouldn't mind not having the Quad Cab emblem. Of course, I don't allow the dealers to put decals on my vehicles and I would take the Dodge of the tailgate, if I got around to it. I am considering replacing the ram's head on the hood with the new Viper emblem (if I can get one).

I cannot stand seats with the dorky adjustable headrests. Imagine how much fun the manufacturers have making the public happy. I have never found one that I have felt comfortable with. Also, I have mentioned this several times before, THE BUCKET SEATS ARE THE SAME AS THE BENCH SEATS. The only difference is what is between the seats. The leather/electric seats maybe different, but I doubt it. If you want different seats, you will have to get some Durango seats or something like Ricaros.
    this light came on and my truck is a 4x2 seems i remeber reading something in the past about this problem has any else had this occur or no what thew cause and fix is?
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    Ok I need to order BOB soon, but i have a wiring question for anyone who has time to check. The 2000 (2001?) QC dash has the "gate open" warning light, and I assume this is a durango leftover. However I am thinking it is good to have for the QC tailgate, since, among other times it would be useful, twice I have had a son not close it fully (I was in the cab) and it fell open on the first bump.
    Question then, is the dash light operative, where i can add a switch on the tailgate, and tap into the wiring somewhere to get the desired function?
  • nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    Part of DC cut back is to omit the 4X4 on some trucks in hopes the customer won't notice! Take it back and tell them to finish building your quad!!

Just kidding April 1st has past.....

My quad has done this twice (less than 6k miles on quad). The first time they had to replace the instrument panel. Claimed an incorrect fuse was installed. Second time... Lets just say I am waiting for a new local dealer to open soon to see if they have a better service department.

To let you rest a little easier, they told me it wouldn't hurt anything the first time and it took the two weeks to get the new panel last time. One hour to install.
  • ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    I would rather have SOME kind of headrest than none. I got the power leather buckets because I wanted the console and kids don't destroy leather as quickly as they do fabric. I must say the seats seem chinzy. The sides of the base of the seat are carpeted?? What the hey?? Like I said, chinzy. Some manufacturers do the headrests right, steve. Not only do the rests adjust up and down, but pivot forward and back. The seats in my 2000 VW are the best I've ever sat in. I wish DC would take some lessons from their german brethren....
  • dpeppedpeppe Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had this problem or am I the only one.

I only have 500 miles on my 2001 AC 4.7L and I noticed that my transmission is leaking in the location where the drive shaft connects to the transmission. It is going in for service tomorrow, they said they hadn't had this problem before.
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I agree with ethuresson; we need SOME kind of headrest. At 6'3", I would hate to be rear-ended in my QC; break-neck city!

I love my QC, but, it does need a more functional headrest; either adjustable or a higher "solid" version.

I looked at the Durangos. Better seats BUT, the headrest is the same as the Q/C.
  • victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    I'm going to try and install some 8" subs in the rear doors on my Quad, let you guys know how it works out. Shouldn't be too big of a deal because the factory speakers are oversized 6.5"s.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (biglucy) The BOB mentions that any seepage seen in this area should be considerd normal. The LONG front axle seal is SPECIFICALLY mentioned. It does not mention what color it might be.

BTW... what are you doing UNDER your truck?
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    This morning, I left my home in Langhorne, PA and drove to Boonsboro, MD to visit my friend who had recently undergone open heart surgery. I took the PA turnpike (I live near exit 28) to Carlisle, exit 16 and picked up I-81 South to 40 East then to alternate 40 into Boonsboro. I rode around Sharpsburg, Hagerstown and Boonsboro before heading back. The trip back was via I-81 North to 30 East and on to Lancaster, PA where I picked up fuel. The overhead computer registered 19 MPG, and
    using my calculator produced a resulting 19+ some minor decimals. There were of course lots of road repairs and backed up traffic scenarios and the usual heavy stop and go through York. The trip home yielded 20.4 on the overhead, but I did not refuel so there was no manual calculation. I did 60 in the 55 zones and 70 in the 65 zones. Cruise Control all the way. I am quite satisfied with the performance of my Quad. 4.7, 4X4, 5 speed, 3.55 and tire and handling group plus a lot of other stuff. A.R.E. LSII fiber glass tonneau.

Bookitty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    "Road trip by bookitty - There were of course lots of road repairs and backed up traffic scenarios and the usual heavy stop and go through York."
    Are you trying to tell us they repair roads in Pennsylvania??? Actually they were putting pot holes in the few smooth spots of pavement left.
    Rick
  • atokadatokad Member Posts: 30
    I also noticed the green slime..looks like all is ok and it doesnt appear to be leaking out.

atokaD
  • quaddubquaddub Member Posts: 25
    Owners manual raises a few questions for me.
    It says that "A long break-in period is not required... Drive moderately for the first 300 miles."

Does this mean that engine is fully broken-in at 300? I'd always assumed is was at least 3000.

It also states "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration , within the limits of local traffic laws, (oh sure) contributes to a good break-in.

Are they talking about highway type cruising?
    Is full-throttle best achieved by pushing pedal quickly and firmly to floor, or smooth and slow?
    Mashing pedal would seem to be hard on tranny--with such a forceful downshift-- but a slow build of speed will perhaps not allow as full a stroke to seat rings(?)
    BTW, hit 100 MPH engine cut-out using the "slower pedal" method --heart skipped a beat--never experienced such a feature before!

Thanks for the help.
    To continue the discussion on the seats....

Yes you guys are right, there needs to be a head rest. The Durango seats that I put in my QC are much more supportive and the headrest is about 3" higher. I am only 5'8", so it is high enough for me. However, I could see how a taller person would not benefit from the entirely.
    ! Yeah, that was me with my buttcrack showing! I couldn't decide on when to do the first oil change (2000 or 3000?), so I went for 2500. I was anxious to do the oil change and install the oil drain valve, but wanted to stay close to the normal maintenance schedule. Taking the oil filter off by hand is usually not a problem for me, but even with the easy vantage point from below I couldn't turn the sucker (on the filter was imprinted, "factory installed"...) so I had to take the wifes Audi for a ride and buy a filter remover. I'm still a bit squeamish knowing there is a valve on my oil pan and I find myself checking the oil gauge often and looking on the ground for leakage. so far so good!

Thanks for the info on the green slime. I wiped it away from the axle threads and will check it again by getting UNDER my truck once more after I run in 4 wheel drive for alittle bit.

quaddub - so it is said that engines these days are broken in by the time they hit the sales lot. The advice I received was to run the truck at different speeds for the first 300-500 miles. Truth, I dunno, but I wouldn't go full throttle from a dead stop. Get your truck to cruising speed and then let'er rip, not breaking any traffic laws of course Bv} . This should be enough friction to get the oil working the rings.

Bookitty - I hope your friend recuperates quickly. Shame on you non-Pennsylvanians (iowabigguy!) making fun over our potholes, so what if we have the worst roads in the US. If you think that's bad, you should try hiking on the PA Appalachian trail (rocks, rocks, and more rocks)!

victx - I'd be interested to know how you make out with your subwoofer installation. Can you take pictures of the process, there's been alot of talk on the forum about replacing speakers and I'm sure alot of folks would like to see how you do it!
    Rick, I deeply resent your comments regarding the condition of the roads in the sovereign State of Pennsylvania. As soon as I finish winching my truck out of this pot hole, I will further address your unkind posting.

Bookitty
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    I guess there are as many opinions of headrests as there are.....well, you know the rest.

I for one have no problem with the headrests in my Dakota. My last several mopars had fully adjustable head rests and I didn't really care for them. It seems that whenever someone left the back seat (even though it was a 4 door) they would "tweek" the headrest and I would have to adjust it every time I got in the car.

I would just as soon have low back seats with NO headrest.

At least these fixed headrestrs aren't as much a bother as the ones from my 70 Challenger and Barracuda.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    Doesn't DC VOID your warranty if you drive on Pennsylvania roads? Something about abnormal abuse by owner. Just like if you install a snow plow on your QC.
    just wondering why they replaced the insturment panel just because a wrong fuse was installed i would think a more logical fix would be to remove the fuse and be done with it..... ? i have,not heard back from dealer as of yet to see what the fix or cause is i will post up date when i hear though any one else have this problem or have info regarding it?
  • scottieeckscottieeck Member Posts: 69
    We DON'T refer to them as "potholes" (how uncouth).We prefer to think of them as "sudden dips".
    scottie
    Scottie, thank you for joining in against the great Northeast basher, Rick (iowabigguy) who hails from New York but became exiled. It's pretty difficult to see pot holes in the Midwest until the snow melts. That occurs in the Summer which begins August 12, and continues for almost the entire day. Since leaving the Great Northeast,
    Rick has grown envious. Let's take up a collection to help send this boy to camp in the Adirondaks,

Bookitty
    It's with deepest regret to inform everyone that bookitty was sQuAsHeD this afternoon as he tried to winch his quad cab out of a "sudden dip". The QC flipped over and his A.R.E. LSII cover squashed him like a bug. I have the best doctors from the good side of town working on him now. Fortunately, Norm was able to scratch out that last post before the accident.

SEE WHAT YOU DID, RICK !!!!
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    well i placed the order on my new quad today since the buyback is supposed to be determined now. they are giving me back all my money including accessories i have added and then charging me .15 per mile which will end up around 3600 dollars. 3600 divided by 15 months of ownership = 240 per month. not a bad 15 month purchase/lease/demo/test drive lol... i am happy with the deal so NO bubble busting lol...

the new truck will be a 2001 red quad sport, pt4x4, 4.7, auto, 3.92, sure grip, cassette and cd in dash, overhead computer, basically loaded with everything but buckets, leather and no awd.

i have to admit d/c has been great to deal with so far on this deal.

wish me luck on my 2nd truck.

robert
    Robert, despite having problems, D/C along with the dealership has treated you very fairly. I for one would happily pay $240.00 per month for the opportunity of driving a new truck. It is a great deal. You are to be admired for your patience and loyalty. Best of luck.

Bookitty
    QC 4.7L Performance mods I have in mind are:

Cold Air Inductiion - Intense Performance Stage II

http://www.intenseperformance.com

Jet CHIP/PCM

180 Degree Thermostat

Gibson Swept Side Exhaust

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/index2.html

For the above, do I have to wait for the 4.7L to break in, say after 300-500 miles, or can I install the cold-air induction and Gibson Exhaust on the same day I take delivery of the truck?

Suspect I'd want to wait on the JET Chip and 180 degree thermostat, right?

Changing subjects, anyone know of a OEM vendor who makes roof racks for the QC? For the Mopar rack, my dealer wants $200, $325 to install, and won't paint it flame-red to match body color...what are my other options?

Also, anyone have experience with the LUND X-Step running boards?

Thanks in advance.

• txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    Personally, I'd drive your QC around for a little while b/4 adding the performance parts, just in case you find something wrong with your stock QC. That way, the dealer can't pass the blame onto you and your 3rd party performance parts and delay in fixing any problems you might have. I'd only add Mopar parts on the day of delivery so they are covered under the new truck warranty.

Also, I wouldn't add the Jet Chip until you've done the intake and catback 1st. Then use the Stage II chip to get better performance, if you even need it at all. I'd also wait on the 180 degree thermostat to see how hot the chip really makes your engine run. On my 5.9L, during hot days and in stop and go traffic, my thermostat needle has yet to break 210 degrees with my Stage II chip. Although the thermostat part is inexpensive ($5.00 or so for a Robert Shaw 180 degree thermostat), it is a real pain to install, at least on the 5.9L engine, so if you have a mechanic install it, the service charge could be 15x the price of the part. Also, Mopar and Mike Leach & Co. have told me that with their HP PCM's, you don't need to change out the thermostat.

Regarding the roof rack, I was wondering if you considered using a part-time rack like the Yakima? I believe it can hold more weight and you'd have tons more accessory options. Just a thought.
    For the money, the DC roof rack is probably the best bet. You are not going to find a nicer one too much cheaper and if the dealer installs when you get the truck, you are covered if there is a problem caused by the installation. I doub t that nayone is going to be too anxious to paint the rack. Hard to get to everything and the finish on them is usually hard to paint over.
    Thanks for the input guys, agree with what you say.

The stage II Jet Chip does say it is for use after some engine mods, so will break in the engine, throw on the IP Stage II cold air intake and the Gibson Cat back, then the chip, will wait on the 180 thermostat.

I'm gonna see if I can get the dealer to come down some on the price of the roof rack. BTW, there is some drilling into the roof involved with this, right?

Anyone know if the Mopar fiberglass tonneau cover is the LEER LT2000? A 3rd party instller believes so...he's also $200 cheaper for part and install.

Looking at the MOPAR side steps as well -vs- LUNDS X-step, and shopping MOPAR's Deluxe Tubular Brush guard -vs- others...price, price, price...they're so high and parts and install cost.

Thanks again...
  • tmatthewtmatthew Member Posts: 26
    Just had the 12k service at the dealer for my '01 4.7 4X4. They said they STRONGLY recomend an engine oil flush at the 15K service. It is some new machine that pumps in a heated solution while the engine is off completlt removing old oil, sludge and deposits. then fresh oil is added. They want over $100 bucks for this. The dealer is having me do things over and above the manual even for extreme use. I tow a large horse trailor and live in the AZ desert. At 12K they had me do the Tranny fluid flush. The manual cals for that later. They want to change the axle fluid at 15K but the Manual calls for it at 12K. They have made a slick brochure with there maint. guidelines. They are slightly different and more frequent than my owners manual. I am sure I could do what the manual says and my warranty would be fine but this truck will be with me a long time and I want it to last. So...are they taking me for a ride or should I go with these extra maintenance thingys...????

Oh and here is a page about my truck:
    http://home.mindspring.com/~tommat1/index.html
  • txqc2000txqc2000 Member Posts: 121
    Roof rack price and install price seem rather high. The salesman at my dealership gives me his "cost." I recall the part price being less than $200 and the install price well below $300 (more like another $100 at most). And yes, I do believe drilling into the roof is required. I almost went this route until I found out that most of my Yakima accessories (ski attachment, bike attachment, covered case) won't attach to the Mopar roof rack, according to Yakima. I think the only thing that does attach is my smaller Yakima basket.

On the Tonneau, are you talking about the 1 piece or the gullwing? I know that the gullwing is not manufactured by ARE, but I don't recall who the real manufacturer is off the top of my head. In any event, when my 4x4 accessories place contacted them 3 months ago, this vendor said they were only making the gullwing for Mopar.

On the side steps and brush guard, you'll definitely save $$ by going 3rd party. Have you considered the Westin nerf bars? Also, if you prefer a lower profile brush guard, you might consider the Waag Sportster brush guard. I love the one on my truck. You can click on the link below to see pics. of the brush guard, Westin nerf bars etc. to get an idea what they look like. Good luck!

'00 Quadcab SLT+ Garnet Red 4x4 (AWD) 5.9L 46RE 3.55 LSD. For list of modifications to my QC, see my profile:

http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Vof5jrNb0pR1M/

For pictures of my QC & Accessories: http://www.geocities.com/txqc2000
  • ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    anyone have any experience with Grizzly brand products? Picking up my foldacover tomorrow morning and hope to pick up some 'double bend step bars' by Grizzly. They are quite unique looking and are 3.5" dia. Anyone even heard of Grizzly? Also, any tips on installing the foldacover? I've decided to be cheap and not spring for the install by pros, I own a hammer and some duct tape hahahaha...
  • rck329rck329 Member Posts: 10
    Uh oh! I've got a little over 200 miles on my new QC (4.7,auto) and this happened:
    When left work yesterday I heard noise when I moved the trans selector from reverse to drive. When I got home, same thing putting into park. It was the starter. When I moved through neutral the starter was engaging and running. Same thing when it was in park. You could here the starter motor spinning like crazy as the truck sat in park. Turned the engine off, and took the key out of the ignition - still running.
    Drove straight to the dealer, parked the truck, in drive, with the e-brake on and got my salesman (service had gone home). Sure as s**t, as soon as he came out, it stopped (I kid you not).
    They've had the truck all day and can't find the problem. I told them to check the neutral safety switch (prevents starting in gear), and the ignition switch. They said they did all that, blah blah blah...
    Anyway, I'm stuck with it until it does it again.
    Has anyone seen this before? I ordered mine, and it was built the 4th week of March.

depressed in Pittsburgh,

ryan

another amusing thing - the service dept. called me this morning and attempted to explain the principles of electric fans on cars, and that they run sometimes after the vehicle's been shut off (they're killing me)
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Electric fan? I don't recall seeing one on my truck.
    I have not encountered this problem with my truck.
    If it is the starter engageing at will, the service people will eventually find the problem, after the teeth of the starter and flywheel are completely worn away and they actually LOOK for a problem.

I used to have a 83 ford ranger. One time when driving 55 mph on the highway, the starter decided to engage on it's own. A very impressive grinding sound was heard. I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off. The starter continued to run while the keys were in my hand. I cycles the keys in the ignition and finally the starter stopped. Then went to restart truck and the starter tried to engage, but there were no teeth left on the starter as they were worn away. Replaced starter, and this event did not re-occure. weird.
    Replying back, is the single piece cover the LEER LT2000?

Expecting my QWD QC in around 4/24 (order went into the system 3/19)...shopping time for all those cool things to put in and on

Thanks
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    The dealers do alot of "extra" stuff that only seems to exist to pad their profits. There was an article in Consumers Reports a few years ago about this and the conclusion they made was if you stick with the servere service schedule as outlined in your owners manual you will maintain your warranty and spend no more than you need to. They will try to sell the extra services saying that in that climate you need this and that. Don't buy it, the servere service schedule from the manufacturer has already accounted for most of the world.

As to the oil flush. As an old timer I would be leary of this. For one thing there shouldn't be any sludge built up at only 15K miles unless you are using an old parafin based oil. The modern oils run pretty clean if you change them according to schedule. Besides, they want to pump a heated solution in there? Heated what? How are they going to clean that out? I'd be concerned about whatever chemical may be in this solution.

I personally would pass on this and insist to your dealer that you only want the services specified in your owners manual.

If fact that is a good overall recomendation. If it ain't in the book, don't get hooked.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    My grandparents used to be part of a family who owned a 300 acre farm in Hop bottom, Pa. A very wonderful time of my life was spending my summer vacations there. About half of the property was wooded, and had a pond on the property which supported bass and catfish. This town is in the northeast Pa. area. The next town over is Nicholson. I climbed on this bridge when I was young and FOOLISH:

http://tier. net/fun free/073098.asp

http://www.railroad.net/graphics/postcard/pc20.jpg

http://www.microserve.net/~magicusa/nicholson.html

I was darn near blown off this bridge with a wind gust. To this day I hate high places.

I do in fact remember the potholes on the trip to PA.

When you stopped hitting potholes, you were out of state.

A land where the potholes outnumber the population by 1000 to 1 per mile.

A skill when learned, created the Olympic game of the pothole slalom.

If I remember correctly, Rock climbing gear was mandatory to have in the car in order to climb out of the pothole and call a tow truck.

Swedish rock climber guides were an option when buying a car in PA. he hee

This discussion has been closed.