Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Worth the trouble?

Rmepashn87Rmepashn87 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2021 in Jeep
Hello, I'm a long-time fan of the Jeep, however, haven't ever owned one personally. I am currently on a fairly tight budget and am looking at a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo however the one I have found no longer starts. I know very little about cars. The owner told me he thinks it's the gasket head, I am also told that when it was running it was driving rough and stalling when idle. It had also overheated. I am unsure whether it is worth the money and trouble to buy it and have it fixed? Can anyone with more input on the subject advise?

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Hello, I'm a long-time fan of the Jeep, however, haven't ever owned one personally. I am currently on a fairly tight budget and am looking at a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo however the one I have found no longer starts. I know very little about cars. The owner told me he thinks it's the gasket head, I am also told that when it was running it was driving rough and stalling when idle. It had also overheated. I am unsure whether it is worth the money and trouble to buy it and have it fixed? Can anyone with more input on the subject advise?

I have zero mechanical ability - if that describes you, I would stay far, far away from this vehicle. Could be a huge money pit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    sounds like a blown head gasket. Which can lead to all kinds of damage. I agree with Michael, run from this one. Very possible you are looking at replacing (or fully rebuilding) the engine, which is expensive. And that just gets your to the point of figuring out all the other expensive problems.

If you were an experienced DIY mechanic with time and money to work on this, maybe if you got it cheap. But if you are just taking it to a mechanic, it will eat you alive.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.