Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Came across these today. They would go together great.

Alright....now I’ve gone from a proud citizen of our wonderful state, to an embarrassed one.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

The only problem is that if you are turning left into the left lane and the oncoming car is turning right into the right lane (or you think they are) and they actually turn into the left lane and there is a meeting of the cars who do you think is at fault? Or if the turn signal is a mistake or they change their mind and go straight?

On Saturday there was a lot of Easter shopping traffic and I was stopped at the front of the line at a red light. There were a lot of cars on the cross street making a left turn onto the road I was on. I watched the line of turning traffic entering the road ahead of me to see what lane they went into. It was about 50/50 in terms of those who went into the left lane as per traffic rules versus those who made a lazy turn and drifted into the right lane. I wouldn't want to have to trust those folks to behave correctly.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited April 2021

driver100 said:

@oldfarmer50 I have noticed a lot of slow drivers these days. The worst one was a woman who was turning left in front of me and she could have gone but misjudged the oncoming cars.....she had time to turn but didn't think she had the time. Then there were several seconds wasted when oncoming cars signaled a right turn and they could turn into the right lane, and she could have gone into the left of the two lanes on the crossroad. She finally turned left, I could finally just make it through, and then I missed the next light which turned red just as I got there. And that is the worst part.....because of their inefficient driving it costs others valuable time....and I am sure they don't think about that. She was going to turn left again at the next red light....to go into Walmart.

The only problem is that if you are turning left into the left lane and the oncoming car is turning right into the right lane (or you think they are) and they actually turn into the left lane and there is a meeting of the cars who do you think is at fault? Or if the turn signal is a mistake or they change their mind and go straight?
    I time it so I won't collide. I always plan for the worst just in case. Some people signal right and then decide to go straight through....others turn right but I can see they are going into the right lane and I turn into the left, but stay back enough so that if they go into the left lane I can back off so they will be ahead of me.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited April 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Came upon this article and it spurred a rant from me to my kids. I know it shouldn’t, but it honestly infuriates me when people waste money like this. I don’t understand it. Sure, you should be able to do what you want, but how can anyone ever think “hey, this $700k could change a lot of lives ... or buy a mass-produced cardboard box. Cardboard box it is!” ? It is truly baffling to me. I wish I could have that kind of money to burn so I could do some good with it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/business/super-mario-bros-nintendo-auction.html?0p19G=2103

I think it's ridiculous as well, but as I see it, my only concern should be what I do with my resources. I'm sure there are more than a few people who find it beyond scandalous that you and I own 5 or more cars.
    Probably, but at least we get use out of cars. And, at least in my case, the value of all 7 of mine together is less than one new Porsche 911.
    Same here, but I suspect that wouldn’t stop the sanctimonious tut-tutting from those who think you should own one car at most. I think that people should spend their money however they want; it’s none of my business.
    As I said, people certainly can and should, but I can’t stop myself feeling like they are useless idiots. Also makes me wonder how in the world such wasteful people have amassed such fortunes.
    Not to make waves but I think one of our poster buddies is going to tell us how that happens. B)

jmonroe
    Don't want to disappoint you so I will explain why they pay that amount for a game. One is because they will turn around and sell it for more. Another reason is if they have that much money they don't see it as a waste....if the guy has $500 million what's a measly $700000? It's like you buying a super deluxe stereo....where is the cut off point?
    I guess the simple answer is he buys it because.....he can! And in most cases, the buyer will turn around and sell it for more. Not something I would try personally, but people do it!

ab348 said:

On Saturday there was a lot of Easter shopping traffic and I was stopped at the front of the line at a red light. There were a lot of cars on the cross street making a left turn onto the road I was on. I watched the line of turning traffic entering the road ahead of me to see what lane they went into. It was about 50/50 in terms of those who went into the left lane as per traffic rules versus those who made a lazy turn and drifted into the right lane. I wouldn't want to have to trust those folks to behave correctly.
    I don't trust them. If I was turning right onto the street those cars were turning left onto I do it slow enough to time it so I can get into the right lane either between turning cars, or when I can see the car turning left knows what he is doing and clearly is aiming for the left lane (besides that sounds like an advanced left turn situation, so those cars turning have the right of way - in my situation I was the one turning left at a regular light - cars turning right have the right of way - I would only go when there is no possibility of a collision). Traffic should flow as smoothly as possible...but "Defensive Driving" is even more important.

Alright....now I’ve gone from a proud citizen of our wonderful state, to an embarrassed one.
    I think I'll move to OHIO.....and it is only $20 more! What a blast, driving with those plates and my SM costume on!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    If someone driving near me isn’t sure they will make it, I’d prefer they don’t risk it and wait instead. Less likely I become collateral damage that way.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This Grand-Prix race track in Germany is opened to the public at selected times during the year. They have between 3 and 12 deaths each year. Your vehicle needs only to be "road qualified" to enter the course. No extraordinary safety requirements need to be followed. Once a year, amateurs can drive their personal road cars on the Nürburgring race track. As usual mayhem follows! This is from this years edition of the insanity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vegQq2kRtZc

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Came upon this article and it spurred a rant from me to my kids. I know it shouldn’t, but it honestly infuriates me when people waste money like this. I don’t understand it. Sure, you should be able to do what you want, but how can anyone ever think “hey, this $700k could change a lot of lives ... or buy a mass-produced cardboard box. Cardboard box it is!” ? It is truly baffling to me. I wish I could have that kind of money to burn so I could do some good with it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/business/super-mario-bros-nintendo-auction.html?0p19G=2103

I think it's ridiculous as well, but as I see it, my only concern should be what I do with my resources. I'm sure there are more than a few people who find it beyond scandalous that you and I own 5 or more cars.
    Probably, but at least we get use out of cars. And, at least in my case, the value of all 7 of mine together is less than one new Porsche 911.
    Same here, but I suspect that wouldn’t stop the sanctimonious tut-tutting from those who think you should own one car at most. I think that people should spend their money however they want; it’s none of my business.
    As I said, people certainly can and should, but I can’t stop myself feeling like they are useless idiots. Also makes me wonder how in the world such wasteful people have amassed such fortunes.
    Not to make waves but I think one of our poster buddies is going to tell us how that happens. B)

jmonroe
    Don't want to disappoint you so I will explain why they pay that amount for a game. One is because they will turn around and sell it for more. Another reason is if they have that much money they don't see it as a waste....if the guy has $500 million what's a measly $700000? It's like you buying a super deluxe stereo....where is the cut off point?
    I guess the simple answer is he buys it because.....he can! And in most cases, the buyer will turn around and sell it for more. Not something I would try personally, but people do it!
    Believe it or not, I wasn’t thinking about you. I was thinking about one of our poster buddies who has commented about those who come into money because they are members of a well to do family. Stuff like that but since your ears were burning you felt compelled to post.

I guess I should just call a spade a spade.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

jmonroe
    Believe it or not, I wasn’t thinking about you. I was thinking about one of our poster buddies who has commented about those who come into money because they are members of a well to do family. Stuff like that but since your ears were burning you felt compelled to post.

I guess I should just call a spade a spade.

jmonroe
    I guess I just always think it is all about ME!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    ab348 said:

That's better that what I observe here.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

I think I'll move to OHIO.....and it is only $20 more! What a blast, driving with those plates and my SM costume on!
    You know there has to be someone somewhere with those plates with "BATMAN" on them.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited April 2021
    It's just a new breed of collectible. No different than someone in the past paying huge money for a Chippendale highboy or Tiffany lamp etc. Markets change, and some mass market collectibles are worth far less than they were 30+ years ago, even before inflation adjustments. Overall, it doesn't impact the economy or harms any markets, so IMO it isn't an issue. There are worse investing issues out there, especially regarding the hoarding of affordable housing, sometimes speculation in commodities, etc - these can impact tens or hundreds of millions of people.
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Dual turn lanes put me on edge, I'll either try to not have someone alongside me, or cut it close or wide, depending on the lane - many drivers aren't to be trusted. Even with a dashcam for exoneration, it's still a huge PITA to deal with a scrape and a claim.
    ab348 said:

Maybe I was gone that day? I don't recall anyone asking for a person to be vetted or anything similar. I was simply replying to the idea that social media "censorship" is some kind of conspiracy is somewhat off the wall. Indeed, don't post lies (or baseless conspiracy garbage devoid of verifiable data) etc. If one wants to play in someone's house, they can play by the rules of the house, or build their own house.

I don’t see Edmunds doing any sort of “vetting” of posts/posters, unless it goes against the community rules. Like any other social platform, the rules are generally simple....don’t post lies, don’t post hateful things, don’t threaten, don’t call people names.

Makes sense!

If you must do any of those things, no one will stop you. But, there are other venues to do that (and those sites sound pretty crazy, so you’ll be right at home).

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

This Grand-Prix race track in Germany is opened to the public at selected times during the year. They have between 3 and 12 deaths each year. Your vehicle needs only to be "road qualified" to enter the course. No extraordinary safety requirements need to be followed. Once a year, amateurs can drive their personal road cars on the Nürburgring race track. As usual mayhem follows! This is from this years edition of the insanity

The Nürburgring has been open to the general public since 1927- not just “once a year.” The 12.9 mile Nordschleife is no longer used for F1 but other races are held there. The 24 Hours Nürburgring is usually the most entertaining. The Ring is reserved for auto manufacturers 18 weeks per year, but aside from that it is only closed for races and inclement weather.
    Setting the fastest time on the Nordschleife for a given class is a big deal among manufacturers, as is the fastest time overall.
    Aston Martin and BMW M(among others) offer driver training at the Ring.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

All I can say is it hurts to see all that beautiful metal all messed up....for the thrill of the race.

Every BMW I’ve bought for my side of the garage has spent at least a few days on the track. The rewards vastly outweigh the risks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

fintail said:

Maybe I was gone that day? I don't recall anyone asking for a person to be vetted or anything similar. I was simply replying to the idea that social media "censorship" is some kind of conspiracy is somewhat off the wall. Indeed, don't post lies (or baseless conspiracy garbage devoid of verifiable data) etc. If one wants to play in someone's house, they can play by the rules of the house, or build their own house.

I don’t see Edmunds doing any sort of “vetting” of posts/posters, unless it goes against the community rules. Like any other social platform, the rules are generally simple....don’t post lies, don’t post hateful things, don’t threaten, don’t call people names.

Makes sense!

If you must do any of those things, no one will stop you. But, there are other venues to do that (and those sites sound pretty crazy, so you’ll be right at home).

Trying to be non political here so I will be brief and non descriptive. If you pay attention you will see some things from social media that should worry you. As for you can build your own, to do so where they cannot shut you down would take a lot of capital, time and talent to create all the infrastructure for your own house.

Every BMW I’ve bought for my side of the garage has spent at least a few days on the track. The rewards vastly outweigh the risks.

Yeah tell that to the guy who jumped over the guard rail at about the 10 second mark, or the airplane pilot at 42 seconds or the wheelie guy at 54 seconds.

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

https://youtu.be/jE6J3wWE2Pg

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited April 2021

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

How the heck did I NOT have this toy?! Granted, that commercial is from the year I was born, but, man, that should have been something that stuck around for decades!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Dang. I remember those!

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

How the heck did I NOT have this toy?! Granted, that commercial is from the year I was born, but, man, that should have been something that stuck around for decades!
    I have never seen one of those.......every kid should have one. Teaches them real good stuff about cars!

Bring back the video of your trip to the The Nürburgring.

Yeah tell that to the guy who jumped over the guard rail at about the 10 second mark, or the airplane pilot at 42 seconds or the wheelie guy at 54 seconds.
    In the first place, I have insurance that covers track events.
    Secondly, those spectacular accidents at the Ring are almost always a consequence of inexperience and/or trying to keep up with faster cars and/or drivers(the Red Mist). I’ve been driving at HPDEs since 1988 and I’ve experienced exactly one situation where I thought I was going to damage my car(I didn’t, and I credit the excellent training I received from my instructors over the years).
    So yes, for me the benefits DO outweigh the risks.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

I have never seen one of those.......every kid should have one. Teaches them real good stuff about cars!

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

I had one of those! They were great fun.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

It looks like it would be great fun...I'd like one now! Not sure if it sends the right message to young impressionable kids.
    A huge crowd in Toronto turned up last night to watch as people set the road on fire and then did donuts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLjmmBRO6o

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

In the first place, I have insurance that covers track events.
    Secondly, those spectacular accidents at the Ring are almost always a consequence of inexperience and/or trying to keep up with faster cars and/or drivers(the Red Mist). I’ve been driving at HPDEs since 1988 and I’ve experienced exactly one situation where I thought I was going to damage my car(I didn’t, and I credit the excellent training I received from my instructors over the years).
    So yes, for me the benefits DO outweigh the risks.

I have far less time invested, but not once yet have I had any fear for my car. The instructor riding shotgun, however... ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

Bring back the video of your trip to the The Nürburgring.
    I will- if BMW ever brings back European Delivery.
    In the meantime I've had to settle for lapping:
    Barber Motorsports Park
    Memphis Motorsports Park
    Mid Ohio
    Motorsport Ranch
    NHIS
    Putnam Park
    Road Atlanta
    Sonoma Raceway
    Watkins Glen

I just got some junk mail from BMW Motorrad advertising their riding school. Not sure how they got my information because I don't own a BMW bike and never expressed any interest to them.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

jipster said:

driver100 said:

I saw a real Bentley today....it looked just like this;

It had dealer plates on it. The guy was driving like a jerk.....like he owned the road. The car is beautiful in real, so tasteful and the lines are beautiful on it. Would I want to own one? Not really, I'd be so concerned about driving it around in a lot of areas.......and I wouldn't want that much attention.

Jerky driving isn’t limited to Bentley. This morning I was behind a Honda Accord at a traffic light. The light change and the car didn’t move. After about 20 seconds I gave a slight beep and I could see the driver’s head jerk up, from her phone no doubt
    20 seconds? You are a patient fellow, oldfarmer. I max out at about 5 seconds before I give a beep.

Well it is oldfarmer and it usually takes at least 20 seconds to get his Hoyt-Clagwell going so that's about right.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

sda said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

driver100 said:

You know, I just have to

It looks like it would be great fun...I'd like one now! Not sure if it sends the right message to young impressionable kids.
    A huge crowd in Toronto turned up last night to watch as people set the road on fire and then did donuts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLjmmBRO6o
    Very sensible, the flames kept the covid away, no doubt.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

I just got some junk mail from BMW Motorrad advertising their riding school. Not sure how they got my information because I don't own a BMW bike and never expressed any interest to them.

DMV registrations

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

DMV registrations
    Could be but my understanding is they target BMW owners. On their website they have two prices for these classes, one for if you use their bike and another if you bring your own BMW bike.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

kyfdx said:

DMV registrations
    Could be but my understanding is they target BMW owners. On their website they have two prices for these classes, one for if you use their bike and another if you bring your own BMW bike.
    Anyone with a new-ish motorcycle, I'm guessing. (or an expensive bike?). Every time I purchase a vehicle, it puts me on dozen lists for junk mail, few of which involve my brand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited April 2021
    Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy at the outpatient wing of the Broward Medical Center in Coral Springs. My friend is picking me up and driving me home. Got clearance from my cardiologist yesterday.

The colonoscopy itself is easy-peasy - but from 3:00 PM this afternoon until 1:00 PM tomorrow, not only do I have to refrain from food, but the chemicals I have to swallow and the aftermath is a true misery, as all of you know! This is something I have been able to avoid for 6-7 years - but my doctor finally realized it’s been over 5 years since my last experience which he was not happy with. So I am now being punished!

All kidding aside, I realize this is a necessary part of life especially since I am a liver cancer survivor and my mother had colon cancer. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Be sure to sterilze your phone after each visit. :'(

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

kyfdx said:

DMV registrations
    When you register parts for your BMW car they have your information. I would think a lot of BMW bike owners have BMW cars....it kind of targets a possible audience.

I’ve had the G90 now for over a week and have managed to put 200 miles on the car, both highway and suburban driving. Fuel economy is not one of this G90’s attributes when comparing it to the S450 and the E450 I owned prior to this one with similar V6 twin turbo engines. The S and E class sedans averaged 31+ mpg on the interstates and Turnpike at 65-70 mph. The G90, so far, averages 28+ mpg. When the engine breaks in, I suspect it won’t improve significantly since the G90 is 300+ pounds heavier than the S450 and 450+ pounds heavier than the E450.

The car is delightful to drive and extremely comfortable for me in the driver’s seat. It’s taking me longer than usual to master the multitude of systems and settings through the infotainment system because it’s not as intuitive as Mercedes is/was. It has its quirks but I am learning how to manage those quirks the more I use the systems. GPS screen does not use vivid colors, which I am disappointed with - rather it has 3 settings which include light beige, beige or cocoa. It does show a number of icons such as gasoline stations. restaurants, etc., however it’s not as eye catching as Mercedes.

I must admit that I miss the German Technology over the Korean Technology, but the comfort and smoothness of the ride and handling compensates for the technology differences. The engine is powerful and responsive and the audio system would bring a smile to any audiophile’s face. Sounds are crisp and surround sound is awesome with the 900 watt 15 speaker system.

It’s going to take a while for me to master the adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist and blind spot monitors as well as backing up this much longer and wider vehicle compared to the E450, but I have nothing but time on my hands.🤪🤓😜

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

Good luck Mike....I feel for you. Wish they could make that liquid taste like a fine wine, beer or at least a chocolate milkshake. The good news is once it is done you will have 5 years before another one....and you can get all the latest late breaking posts while on the throne.

fintail said:

Makes sense!

Agree whole heartedly.
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

Good luck Mike....I feel for you. Wish they could make that liquid taste like a fine wine, beer or at least a chocolate milkshake. The good news is once it is done you will have 5 years before another one....and you can get all the latest late breaking posts while on the throne.

Actually, the gastroenterologist told me that this will probably be my last colonoscopy. I turn 77 this October which means I’d be 82 when my next one is due - but they don’t recommend this procedure for people over 80 for various and understandable reasons - one of which includes, “...he’s over 80 - how much longer could he possibly live even if we found Colin cancer?” 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

Mike....same drivetrain in my Stinger....just returned from FL, Gulf Coast. I was driving mainly interstate with 10% in town driving once I got into the city. Filled up when I got home yesterday. Averaged 30 MPG, which given I was set pretty steady at 80-85 MPH where traffic allowed, seems good given the drivetrain’s power and torque.

I’ve got 16K miles on my Stinger, now. That’s the best MPG I’ve ever achieved.

Give your G some time. Seems it gets better with the more miles you’ll put on it.
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

DMV registrations
    When you register parts for your BMW car they have your information. I would think a lot of BMW bike owners have BMW cars....it kind of targets a possible audience.
    I would think that BMW car owners would be far more likely to get a BMW bike but I am not sure if the reverse is true. The price point for BMW motorcycles is more on par with other brands so Honda buyers could cross shop them with BMW. You wouldn't see that in cars. So if they are targeting BMW bike owners going after BMW car owners will greatly limit their audience.

I think what I was trying to say was if a guy owns a bmw, especially a bmw convertible, and IF he was looking at motorcycles - probably a very small percentage of car owners - he would probably be more prone to check out a bmw motorcycle.
    It's still a long shot but might target the advertising to the right person.

abacomike said:

Tomorrow afternoon, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy at the outpatient wing of the Broward Medical Center in Coral Springs. My friend is picking me up and driving me home. Got clearance from my cardiologist yesterday.

The colonoscopy itself is easy-peasy - but from 3:00 PM this afternoon until 1:00 PM tomorrow, not only do I have to refrain from food, but the chemicals I have to swallow and the aftermath is a true misery, as all of you know! This is something I have been able to avoid for 6-7 years - but my doctor finally realized it’s been over 5 years since my last experience which he was not happy with. So I am now being punished!

All kidding aside, I realize this is a necessary part of life especially since I am a liver cancer survivor and my mother had colon cancer. At least I can catch up on all the posts while “throning” every few hours. 🤪😜

So, you finally got yourself into a crappy situation. :(

Good luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

What’s wrong with bourbon? :s

jmonroe
  • drhkulkarnidrhkulkarni Member Posts: 10
    Hello all, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post but thought I would start, and you can direct me to if there is a better place to post.

I have put in an order for a model Y Tesla that costs $54,000 (7 seater). I have a Volvo XC90 that the lease ends in the next couple of months. I was offered a trade in value by Tesla for 34,800. Payoff amount from Volvo is $35,078. Is it worth trading it in, to potentially save on the taxes, etc? I do have some cosmetic damage to the car so I suspect Volvo may ask me to pay for that once I turn in the lease, although its not entirely clear if that will actually happen or not. Only downside of trade-in from Tesla is they ask you to buy then car, and then take the amount off the sale price....versus some other trade in options. Thanks.
    So it isn’t actually a trade? Unclear if you would get a sales tax credit. And some states (such as NJ) don’t give the credit when trading in a leased car anyway.

But you still come out ahead if you get out of the lease early (fewer payments), and won’t have to pay the disposition fee which will probably he higher than the difference Tesla is giving you. And of course, no damage penalties.