Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

Got a question. Is Canada known for it’s blueberry crop? The reason I ask is because I just ate a blueberry muffin that I got at Aldi. The package of 4 says, “product of Canada”.

FWIW, it ain’t bad.

jmonroe

I have this beer in my fridge, right now.
    Made with Wild Canadian Blueberries

Yuck! As a rule whenever I try a fruit beer I always stand next to the sink so I can dump it.
    This isn't your grandpa's fruit beer. It isn't fruit-flavored. It's made with huge amounts of real fruit. And, it's sour. The sour part is an acquired taste. This example is 10.1% ABV (but, it doesn't taste like it).

Interesting tidbit: 424 blueberries per 12 oz. can. :s
    424 blueberries per 12 oz. can......so it is also very good for you....lots of anti-oxidants + the alcohol will kill the rest.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

Got a question. Is Canada known for it’s blueberry crop? The reason I ask is because I just ate a blueberry muffin that I got at Aldi. The package of 4 says, “product of Canada”.

FWIW, it ain’t bad.

jmonroe

I'd say yes. Our growing season is short but in Ontario Canada (Ontario is like a state but it is called a province here...just pointing it out for JMonroe) the Wild Blueberries are exceptional, as are peaches and especially Strawberries. We have to import these for most of the year, but when it is growing season they are as good as can be.

Oldfarmer, I am not a fan of adulterating my beer or coffee with extra flavors, but if you get to Ellicottville go to the Brewery Restaurant in town and try their own Wheat Blueberry beer....that is their best seller.
    I used to be neighbors with the local craft brewery at the farmer’s market and loved most of their beers. I bought a sampler of ales, IPAs, stouts and various fruit derived beers. The ale I loved, some of the rest I could tolerate but didn’t like much but the oatmeal stout was the only beer I ever poured down the sink after one sip. I guess my palate isn’t very sophisticated.

I share similar feelings about adulterated coffee. If I wanted foam and chocolate chips floating around I’d buy a sundae. I doubt Starbucks would even let me in the door. :'(
    Just because you didn't like something doesn't mean you don't have a sophisticated palate, it just means you didn't like it. You can have a sophisticated palate and not like things that other people with sophisticated palates like. Everyone is different and has different tastes and preferences, life is to short to drink things you don't like because some snob said it was good, drink what you like.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

FWIW, it ain’t bad.

jmonroe

Yuck! As a rule whenever I try a fruit beer I always stand next to the sink so I can dump it.
    This isn't your grandpa's fruit beer. It isn't fruit-flavored. It's made with huge amounts of real fruit. And, it's sour. The sour part is an acquired taste. This example is 10.1% ABV (but, it doesn't taste like it).

Wow those are some very small blueberries.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

FWIW, it ain’t bad.

jmonroe

Wow those are some very small blueberries.
    They've been experimenting with freeze-dried fruit. They can get a lot more fruit in the beer... but, the ABV is around 15%-16%. They are calling it: Astronaut Food.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303
    @kydfx,
    Thanks for the link, I ordered some beer for my Son In Law.
    Skipped the Astronaut Food(15%).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@kydfx,
    Thanks for the link, I ordered some beer for my Son In Law.
    Skipped the Astronaut Food(15%).

Yeah, it’s interesting, but I don’t recommend it. It’s a lot

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    I just discovered the inflation in the home improvement sector. Today I went to the big box to replace a mailbox and post that some yahoo took down a few months ago.I had jury rigged it back up but delivery drivers were complaining they couldn’t see our address.

Anyway, total cost for a cheap post and mailbox was $107, double what I’ve paid in the past.

The way they knock down my mailboxes around here I should buy them in bulk.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    you need the old school country box on a spring that has a chain for the mailman to pull to bring it down to truck level. Keeps them out of the way the rest of the time.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

you need the old school country box on a spring that has a chain for the mailman to pull to bring it down to truck level. Keeps them out of the way the rest of the time.

I need to sink a steel beam into the ground and fix the wagon of drivers who can’t stay on the road. I can’t imagine what draws them to my box since the turn is down the road.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

a 6" solid steel pipe set in 2' of concrete does sound like a good plan.

with my luck, my wife would clip it.

I just discovered the inflation in the home improvement sector. Today I went to the big box to replace a mailbox and post that some yahoo took down a few months ago.I had jury rigged it back up but delivery drivers were complaining they couldn’t see our address.

Anyway, total cost for a cheap post and mailbox was $107, double what I’ve paid in the past.

Time to get creative and make one:

It seems that there are always jokers who like to come along and damage mail boxes....quite often with a baseball bat.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080
    We used to install rows of bollards like that in front of our stores. 6" or 8" steel pipe set in 48" footings below grade, with about 3' above ground filled with concrete. Spaced close enough, even a truck would bounce off them and not be able to get past.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@oldfarmer50,
    You can even see the tracks where they went off the road. :D
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Our development has cluster boxes. No mailbox on the house. Works for me, except I get so little mail I forget to check it.

Re: Blueberries. @stickguy and I live about 30 minutes or so from a huge blueberry producing town.

Re: Construction costs. We just got a quote for a deck that was so expensive it’s not even funny. Approx 500 sq ft with vinyl railing and composite boards was over 14K! Last year we had a 360 sq ft deck all in pressure treated with vinyl skirting for $5000 at our shore place.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

Time to get creative and make one:

It seems that there are always jokers who like to come along and damage mail boxes....quite often with a baseball bat.
    No way does that happen.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    jipster said:

driver100 said:

I saw a real Bentley today....it looked just like this;

It had dealer plates on it. The guy was driving like a jerk.....like he owned the road. The car is beautiful in real, so tasteful and the lines are beautiful on it. Would I want to own one? Not really, I'd be so concerned about driving it around in a lot of areas.......and I wouldn't want that much attention.

Jerky driving isn’t limited to Bentley. This morning I was behind a Honda Accord at a traffic light. The light change and the car didn’t move. After about 20 seconds I gave a slight beep and I could see the driver’s head jerk up, from her phone no doubt
    20 seconds? You are a patient fellow, oldfarmer. I max out at about 5 seconds before I give a beep.

3 seconds here.... and if they've already been identified as a dawdler/traffic impeder, I half it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    tjc78 said:

Our development has cluster boxes. No mailbox on the house. Works for me, except I get so little mail I forget to check it.

Re: Blueberries. @stickguy and I live about 30 minutes or so from a huge blueberry producing town.

Re: Construction costs. We just got a quote for a deck that was so expensive it’s not even funny. Approx 500 sq ft with vinyl railing and composite boards was over 14K! Last year we had a 360 sq ft deck all in pressure treated with vinyl skirting for $5000 at our shore place.

I am anti-deck now. unless it is an elevated location, I would go with some stamped concrete patio, and a small landing deck if needed. Just big enough to cover the door opening, and maybe hold the gas grill! Then step down to the hardscape patio.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Just got back from getting Pfizer #1, pulled up to the facility and saw a crowd of about 20 or so waiting outside. They were running behind so calling people in as fast as they could, taking temps and then shuffling us up to the 2nd floor. Another 5 minute wait or so before going back to get poked. I ended up having to wait 30 minutes instead of 15 since I'm pseudo compromised along with the medication I'm on, but then on my way. No issues so far :) going back May 1st to get shot #2.
    congrats and good luck! Keep building the herd!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

Next time tie a stick of dynamite to the post. That won’t prevent anyone from hitting it but they’ll still be there when you go to pick up your mail.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    well, on the bright side, it probably cost a lot more to fix the damage on their car.

stickguy said:

well, on the bright side, it probably cost a lot more to fix the damage on their car.

Nah, just blame it on a wild bunch of kids on devils night.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited April 2021

@oldfarmer50,

Yep, you can see after I stuck it back up how it was hit dead center. If you look to the right of that picture you can see a telephone pole. They’ve snapped that right off too. Thankfully that only happened once.

What you can’t see, behind the telephone pole is a gap in an Arborvitae hedge that was made years ago by a kid working as a transporter for a local Chevy dealer who took the turn too fast and rolled his car. We’ve also found a dazed motorcyclist on our lawn who did the same thing.

I’m living in a Mad Max movie.

@oldfarmer50,
    I think you should take one of those yellow signs with the arrow and move in front of your mailbox. ;)

@oldfarmer50,

Yep, you can see after I stuck it back up how it was hit dead center. If you look to the right of that picture you can see a telephone pole. They’ve snapped that right off too. Thankfully that only happened once.

What you can’t see, behind the telephone pole is a gap in an Arborvitae hedge that was made years ago by a kid working as a transporter for a local Chevy dealer who took the turn too fast and rolled his car. We’ve also found a dazed motorcyclist on our lawn who did the same thing.

I’m living in a Mad Max movie.
    I think you should move. It seems like you own cursed property. :s

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    edited April 2021
    Today my wife and I were checking out what will likely my son’s F30 330e at my dealer. They also had a properly equipped(RWD with the ZTK Cooling and High Performance Tire Package). M340i. A friend was encouraging me to give it a shot(even though it’s a lot bigger than I prefer). Another friend mentioned that he bought a new M340i with the ZTK option and the first time on the track the car wouldn’t accelerate past 130 mph. It turns out that Munich had forgotten to add the 155 mph speed limiter that is also part of the ZTK package. BMW claimed that it wasn’t possible to increase the limiter so he had to get a new car- fortunately at no additional expense to him. I’d be wary of buying one used as I’m certain BMW would not be as generous with respect to a CPO car...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@oldfarmer50,
    I think you should take one of those yellow signs with the arrow and move in front of your mailbox. ;)

....also a security camera with motion sensor.....then we can watch all the action in front of your house.

@oldfarmer50,

Every one of those has been knocked down too. :'(

driver100 said:

@oldfarmer50,

....also a security camera with motion sensor.....then we can watch all the action in front of your house.
    Kind of like this? Yeah!

https://youtu.be/USu8vT_tfdw

driver100 said:

@oldfarmer50,

Kind of like this? Yeah!

You’d think that after a few smacks that bridge would know enough to jump up when it saw a high truck coming. That’s a dumb bridge. Must have been designed by a blond.

jmonroe
    I had to go to a U Haul office down in Delaware a couple of times (one of the many moves by the Princess) and they have multiple signs, complete with pictures, about a specific underpass like that nearby. The pictures being of Uhaul trucks with the tops ripped off at that spot. I didn't have to go that way at least, but I assume it is a common way for GPS to take people. And IMO most renters of a Uhaul pay zero attention to the big height signs they have plastered all over the truck (or the signs at the underpass).

that compilation was oddly addictive to watch.

stickguy said:

I had to go to a U Haul office down in Delaware a couple of times (one of the many moves by the Princess) and they have multiple signs, complete with pictures, about a specific underpass like that nearby. The pictures being of Uhaul trucks with the tops ripped off at that spot. I didn't have to go that way at least, but I assume it is a common way for GPS to take people. And IMO most renters of a Uhaul pay zero attention to the big height signs they have plastered all over the truck (or the signs at the underpass).

I hope she takes care of you in your old age in gratitude for all that you have done.

driver100 said:

@oldfarmer50,

Kind of like this? Yeah!

Like stick said addictive!
    I wonder how many trucks in total hit it?
    Lots of Penskis and white trucks with black writing...looked like two Guys Moving Company.
    They put up a guard so the actual bridge wouldn't get hit.
    I like the guys who slow down....then go, causes almost the same damage.
    There should be a soft one before you get there to test before you go under the bridge
    And a place to pull over and deflate your tires, and measure your truck.
    Maybe the mayors brother in law owns the body shop on the other side.
    If you lived there that would be entertaining to watch all day.
    You'd think they could deepen the road...dig it up and make it 10 inches lower.

Lots for Penske and Enterprise trucks in that video, only watched about 4 minutes.
    2 of my nephew's run Ryder truck rental/repair locations.
    They probably have a few similar stories.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Lowering the road won't work until they raise the standard for getting a driver's license. I remember when Gallagher said that he had to quit watching TV because you can't fix stupid. "I tried turning up BRIGHTNESS but that didn't work."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Just random thoughts, but I doubt if that many people who rent a truck find out what the height of the truck is. And, even if they do know they forget they are driving something taller than their car. Another factor is the warning sign on the approach to the bridge....what percentage of drivers miss the sign - probably a lot, and if they do read it they probably need time to compute how that relates to the height of their truck.

If people drove properly and paid attention those accidents should not have happened, but since it happens so often IMHO I think there is something wrong with the road and bridge.

@omarman, if Gallagher - whomever he is - thinks you can fix stupid programing on TV by turning up the brightness then he also has a problem!

the trucks with any kind of taller box have the truck height in very large type right on the front box edge so you see it every time you get in or look in the mirror. But you are correct, many people just don't think. And plenty more just forget after they get driving until it is too late. There are other early warning systems possible, but looking at that location, they would not be practical. More signage couldn't hurt.

sadder is many of those were not rental trucks. You would think people that drove the truck for a living would be more aware!

and you forgot one big problem: GPS. many people are so conditioned to do whatever the voice tells them that they would never think of reading a sign and thinking for themselves. There really should be a way to put into the navi that you have a tall vehicle, and what the clearance height is.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

@oldfarmer50,

Kind of like this? Yeah!

Like stick said addictive!
    I wonder how many trucks in total hit it?
    Lots of Penskis and white trucks with black writing...looked like two Guys Moving Company.
    They put up a guard so the actual bridge wouldn't get hit.
    I like the guys who slow down....then go, causes almost the same damage.
    There should be a soft one before you get there to test before you go under the bridge
    And a place to pull over and deflate your tires, and measure your truck.
    Maybe the mayors brother in law owns the body shop on the other side.
    If you lived there that would be entertaining to watch all day.
    You'd think they could deepen the road...dig it up and make it 10 inches lower.
    My understanding is that there is infrastructure (water or sewer lines) under the road so lowering the road is undoable. I think they were able to raise the bridge by a couple of inches but it still get hit a lot.

driver100 said:

Just random thoughts, but I doubt if that many people who rent a truck find out what the height of the truck is. And, even if they do know they forget they are driving something taller than their car. Another factor is the warning sign on the approach to the bridge....what percentage of drivers miss the sign - probably a lot, and if they do read it they probably need time to compute how that relates to the height of their truck.

If people drove properly and paid attention those accidents should not have happened, but since it happens so often IMHO I think there is something wrong with the road and bridge.

@omarman, if Gallagher - whomever he is - thinks you can fix stupid programing on TV by turning up the brightness then he also has a problem!

Gallagher is a comedian, the brightness comment is a joke, you're supposed to laugh. BTW if you go to his show do not, I repeat, do not sit up front.

Nobody thinks of height, unless they are a trained professional. The guys that carry their bikes on the roof of the car probably have a 50% failure rate on entering garages.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080
    Here we have a toll bridge that opened in 1970 and there are vehicle-sized toll lane booths and off to the right side are 3 truck-sized larger/taller toll booth lanes. You seldom used to see trucks attempting to use the car lanes and then crashing into them. But in the last 3 years it is happening all the time, not just rental box trucks either, but 18-wheelers. The drivers of those ought to know better obviously so I can only conclude they are impaired. Scary.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

when I was frequently driving the big Freightliner Ryder trucks (I think they were 12'6", or maybe is was 13 something?) I was hyper paranoid about that, especially having to drive it on a lot of local streets.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

Is that a sour beer? My son in law likes those.

Yes.. it is amazing

https://www.artifactbeer.com
    Thanks @kyfdx . Wasn’t aware of that one. I go here a lot, about 15-20 minutes from my house...

https://www.municipal.beer/?fbclid=IwAR0Xuha_BTTUb0A5Xp0UFm0aau0FRJqfDS0vGFmn3RWNe6dAE6zhdINVAs8

Went here yesterday. It was excellent, too.....

https://esotericbrewing.com/

And finally, for a place that brews in an old funeral home, but has excellent beers and good entertainment....

https://wiedemannsfinebeer.com/

All of these are local to both of us!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I do find these intriguing...especially the ones with the “super cruise”....

https://youtu.be/LjetooD0z4A
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

driver100 said:

Gallagher is a comedian, the brightness comment is a joke, you're supposed to laugh. BTW if you go to his show do not, I repeat, do not sit up front.
    Why, does he spit? :s

jmonroe
    smashes watermelons with a sledgehammer. I never quite understood why.

that Bolt does look good. Hmmm... I don't imagine I will be able to get a $60/month real cost lease on one of those any time soon though.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I have spent quite a bit of time trying to determine which topics have NOT been discussed or posted on this thread - and believe me it was not an easy task. 2500+ pages of posts trying to find and/or come up with "untouched" or "virgin" topics - an effort in futility, for the most part.

From refrigerators to microwaves, dishwashers, alcoholic beverages, toilets, sinks, faucets, countertops, stoves, wooden decks, patios, windows, shutters, roofs, tires, every imaginable vehicle including the infamous Yugo, tires, wheels, fuel economy and gasoline prices, 0-60 speeds and times, engines, oil viscosity, paint and painting of everything from cars to walls to exterior of houses, wood floors, marble and tile, front doors, air conditioning, heating, humidifiers, pumps, foundations, eye surgery and glasses and contacts, insurance for just about everything including pre-planned burials, the effects of road salt on vehicles during the winter, car-washing, sunroofs-moonroofs-panorama roofs, leather, fiber optics, cable companies, computers, TV's, monitors, cruises, airplanes and flight experiences, old drivers and young drivers, newspapers, furniture, beds, mattresses, carpeting, the Ozone Layer, Australia and New Zealand and scores of countries, hospitals, cancer, thefts, colonoscopies, water sports, boating, lighting fixtures, bulbs, ceiling fans, car accidents, dump trucks, garbage trucks, back up cameras, parking assist, autonomous driving vehicles, US mail, email, telephones and mobile phones, banks, financing, leasing, Sirius/XM satellite radio, bitcoins, gold and silver bullion, UFO's, speakers and turntables and wattage and home theaters, and on and on and on.

I was not able to find any posts that dealt with zoos, chimpanzees, apes, giraffes, hydrogen fusion on the sun, aardvarks, polygamy, hair dyes, etc.

So I am making a suggestion that we try to post topics that have never been posted or that no one is interested in. Any suggestions? :):o:p;):DB)

2021 Genesis G90

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Why, does he spit? :s

jmonroe
    That's why I prefer to sit further back at live theater.....the really good actors spit a lot, the further the better I think.