Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I can tell when the dealership lubes the door hinges and latches because they always manage to get lubricant all over the surrounding area and fail to clean it off.

My ATS is going in tomorrow for its 6-month service, gratis thanks to Cadillac. They tried to sell me a 4-wheel alignment, brake fluid flush and brake caliper lube during the call to make the appointment as per usual, I passed.

Brake caliper lube? That’s a new one on me. Good grief.
    Yep there is brake caliper lube, it's used to lubricate the caliper slide pins (the pins that the brake pads/caliper slide along) and they should be lubed every brake job.
    Yes, that’s the one. The dealership tries to sell it at every 6-month service.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    How could the mechanical and humanoid worlds survive the affects of friction without good “lubricants”? Noisy and painful would be the results, I suspect! 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I can tell when the dealership lubes the door hinges and latches because they always manage to get lubricant all over the surrounding area and fail to clean it off.

My ATS is going in tomorrow for its 6-month service, gratis thanks to Cadillac. They tried to sell me a 4-wheel alignment, brake fluid flush and brake caliper lube during the call to make the appointment as per usual, I passed.

Yep there is brake caliper lube, it's used to lubricate the caliper slide pins (the pins that the brake pads/caliper slide along) and they should be lubed every brake job.
    Oh, I'm aware. Many sets of pads even come with a little tube of lube. But I have never heard someone try to sell taking your brakes apart to reapply it between pad changes. That is absurd.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

venture said:

This is not only ugly, but it was also taking up 4 parking spots. It looks like it's far away from everyone else, but it isn't. This is at Sam's Club about 10 minutes before it opens for regular members.

I don’t think that’s a 5.0 GT, either. The GTs don’t have the “pony” in the grill. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Either way, that’s an abomination.

Funny, was at a stop light with the windows down last night when a guy in a Mustang 4cyl turbo pulls up next to me, reving his obvious 4 cyl in an effort to do a little cafe racing. Funny part is, I don’t know what he did to his wastegate, but it was constantly hissing while he was reving. Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Oh yeah, I became juvenile and smoked him until the next stop light, where he would not pull beside me to see me gloat.

And yes, I am that juvenile.
    I loved smoking people in the Stoplight Grand Prix with my MS3 and I love doing the same with my M235i

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

Sometimes I think if I really liked a BMW more I would buy it, but the difference in dealerships is a big road block.

What BMW dealer is that? BMW Clubs Canada and BMW CCA would like to send them a "Thank You!" card.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited April 2021

venture said:

This is not only ugly, but it was also taking up 4 parking spots. It looks like it's far away from everyone else, but it isn't. This is at Sam's Club about 10 minutes before it opens for regular members.

I don’t think that’s a 5.0 GT, either. The GTs don’t have the “pony” in the grill. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Funny, was at a stop light with the windows down last night when a guy in a Mustang 4cyl turbo pulls up next to me, reving his obvious 4 cyl in an effort to do a little cafe racing. Funny part is, I don’t know what he did to his wastegate, but it was constantly hissing while he was reving. Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Oh yeah, I became juvenile and smoked him until the next stop light, where he would not pull beside me to see me gloat.

I loved smoking people in the Stoplight Grand Prix with my MS3 and I love doing the same with my M235i
    I love doing it with the minivan.
    I tried with the Fiat last night, but the Suburban caught up and passed me at about the 1/8th mile mark. lol.

The Camaro isn't fun in that regard because it is just too easy. No challenge = No fun.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

Of course you don't need to do that if your car has fixed calipers.

edited April 2021
    qbrozen said:

venture said:

I love doing it with the minivan.
    I tried with the Fiat last night, but the Suburban caught up and passed me at about the 1/8th mile mark. lol.

The Camaro isn't fun in that regard because it is just too easy. No challenge = No fun.
    Where I live nobody knew what an MS3 was and the 2er catches more than a few people by surprise.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

Oh, I'm aware. Many sets of pads even come with a little tube of lube. But I have never heard someone try to sell taking your brakes apart to reapply it between pad changes. That is absurd.
    You really don't need to take your brakes apart to do it, it only takes literally a minute or two if the tire is off. Usually only needs to be done when the brakes are being worked on, but if you have a high performance car and you do a lot of track days it might be a good idea to check it occasionally.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,438
    question for the experts (not that any of us actually fit the condition). But does anyone know what people that don't own cars (city dwellers) but still drive on occasion (either borrowing a car or renting) do about insurance? Do they keep a non-car owner policy (so just liability tied to you) for coverage in those situations? Or just buy liability when they rent, and assume private cars you borrow will be all covered by the owner's policy?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

venture said:

Personally usually I really don't care about smoking people at stop lights, I got nothing to prove and if I beat them or not I still wake up the same time the next morning. Plus any fool, and there are a lot out there, can get a seat attached to an engine and go fast in a straight line, it's the twisties that separate the men from the boys.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @stickguy,
    Found a coupe of things.
    Car rental companies offer their own insurance.

If you don’t have car insurance because you don’t have your own vehicle, you can certainly still rent a car. Many credit card companies offer rental car insurance if you use your card to pay for the rental, so even if you don’t have car insurance you may not necessarily need to spring for the rental company’s insurance options.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    stickguy said:

question for the experts (not that any of us actually fit the condition). But does anyone know what people that don't own cars (city dwellers) but still drive on occasion (either borrowing a car or renting) do about insurance? Do they keep a non-car owner policy (so just liability tied to you) for coverage in those situations? Or just buy liability when they rent, and assume private cars you borrow will be all covered by the owner's policy?

Most of the city dwellers I know that don't own cars use car share services like ZipCar that cover the insurance in their fees.

Update, the hose going into the dishwasher is kaput and leaked the water all over the place. The guy didn't have the part but got the house up and running again. The repair will be completed tomorrow.

edited April 2021

venture said:

Personally usually I really don't care about smoking people at stop lights, I got nothing to prove and if I beat them or not I still wake up the same time the next morning. Plus any fool, and there are a lot out there, can get a seat attached to an engine and go fast in a straight line, it's the twisties that separate the men from the boys.
    Well there was the '70s Camaro that amputated it's oil pan on a frost heave trying to keep up with my Bavaria on a twisting two lane.

A new Bonneville SSEi almost clipped a guardrail following my 535is up an on-ramp with an off-camber apex.

As I related a few months ago, I took an out of the way route home that has two 90 degree left hand turns; the second is a bit off camber. I was in the Clubman and a Giulia Ti Lusso(I think) came up quick behind me. I pulled away quite a bit at the first left-hander so he really wanted to hang with me at the second corner. He early apexed the turn-naturally-and then got on the throttle too soon. The tail really stepped out. I wish I had been in the Club Sport or M235i- the humiliation would have been even worse.

The most fun, however was the '90s Trans Am that got WAY loose trying to catch me on another ramp after I passed him on the outside in my Club Sport with a speed differential of over 25 mph. In the rain.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited April 2021
    New Mercedes EQS electric car....goes almost 500 miles on a charge.....the whole instrument panel is a computer screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KitQQHm0Eoc

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited April 2021
    Interesting tech, real challenger for Tesla (aside from brand/Musk cultists), but I am not warmed up to it. I know marketers and hubris-loaded suits will disagree, but it wouldn't be bad having an EV look like a normal car, an S-class in this case.

Observations: Front end kind of reminds me of a Honda, egregious A-pillar DLO fail (with a badge to draw attention), unless they have a coating, the huge screen is fingerprint magnet hell/heaven.
    driver100 said:

New Mercedes EQS electric car....goes almost 500 miles on a charge.....the whole instrument panel is a computer screen.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

Yeah, but in that case the disc needs to move, so it probably needs lubrication.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

driver100 said:

I took a big risk today but I think it will be OK. My E40 is 4 years old and no more warranty or prepaid maintenance. It only has 28000 miles on it, and I only went 6000 miles this year....with covid lockdowns.
    The E had a complete prepaid A Service last year. The monitor said I was due for a B Service which I think costs about $500. Here is what is on a B service;
    Everything on the A Service:
    Function Check:
    Check Tele-Aid by pressing SOS button to make test call to response center.
    Horn, headlamp flasher, hazard flasher, turn signals
    Warning/indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
    Exterior lighting incl. headlamps
    Windshield wiper, windshield washer system
    Headlamp cleaning system
    Check Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) hydraulic unit
    Reset FSS counter in instrument cluster

Wheels, Brakes:
    Check brake pads for lining thickness front (remove right front wheel)
    Check tires for damage and condition
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Engine oil and filter change
    Check and correct fluid level:
    Windshield washer system
    Starter battery, wet cell (located at R/H strut) Check battery acid level, replenish
    Additionally, check battery using "Midtronics MCR 717" tester. Attach Midtronics MCR 717 Test Report print out here.
    Clean water drain in air/water duct
    Lubricate catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation. Replace components with even the slightest malfunction.

Front, rear of vehicle:
    Check wiper blade condition

Vehicle passenger compartment
    Check seat belts for damage and proper function
    Replace combination filters (2)

Wheels, brakes
    Remove and reinstall wheels, rotate if necessary, does not apply for vehicles with different tire sizes front/rear
    Check brake pads for lining thickness front/rear
    Check condition of brake discs front and rear
    Measure tread depth, enter in mm

Vehicle underbody:
    Visual check for leakage - major components
    Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
    Check condition of steering's mechanical components and rubber boots

Engine compartment:
    Visually check for leakage - major components
    Active Body Control (ABC)
    Power steering
    Check condition of poly-V-belt

Additional work:

Every 50,000 mi/80,000 km or 4 years:
    Check condition of drive shaft flex discs

Every 60,000 mi/96,000 km or 4 years:
    Replace air cleaner filter element

Every 60,000 mi/96,000 km or 5 years:
    Replace fuel filter

Every 150,000 mi/250,000 km or 15 years:
    Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid
    Check body for paint damage
    Check chassis and supporting body parts for damage and corrosion

Every 100,000 mi/160,000 km or 5 years:
    Replace spark plugs

Since I only did half a years worth of driving and the car only has 28k miles, I did an oil change, check tires and check fluid levels. Cost $250.

I wonder how many people go by the actual service plans and how necessary is it? I don't even think the prepaid plan is worth it if you aren't doing at least average driving a year. Though, with the prepaid plan you should have no problems no matter what goes wrong - then they guaranty everything completely and that is worth something.

Headlight cleaning system? What does that involve, filling up with blinker fluid?
    Several of my BMWs have had it; high pressure sprayers that work with the windshield washer system.
    Heaven help me the day I can’t clean my own headlights. :o

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@ab348,
    I feel all these streaming services are just a way to try to extract more money from the consumer.
    Personally, I don't want to pay a bunch small added charges to watch disney+, discovery+, etc...

Unfortunately, for some time cable has been bundling their most popular shows into various premium packages so that you have to pay more and more to get your favorite shows. I for one refuse to play that game.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

Open invitation to be keyed when you park like that.

edited April 2021

venture said:

Yeah, that’s a 5.0. Says so right on the side. What was he thinking with that paint job.

4 cyl. Mustangs have no business trying to race anybody.

It's a wonderful morning here at Casa Snakeweasel. I wake up go downstairs walk into the kitchen and hear the wonderful sound of running water and a wet floor. :s So I run downstairs to a wet basement and shut off the main. :( Well we cleaned up the mess and called the plumber (I think it's the dishwasher but who knows) but now I sit in a house with no running water :@ with nothing to drink but wine and whiskey. :D

I came home on New Year’s morning 2017 to our water heater spraying a geyser across the basement. Fortunately the plumber arrived in an hour and replaced the whole thing by noon.

venture said:

Coming home from the dealer in 2008 someone in a BMW wanted to race my Eclipse and some kids in a C6 Corvette tried to get me to race them with my C4. I didn’t bite on either invitation.

Oddly, no one ever tried to race the Mustang. I’m glad since it’s got the wrong rear end for stop light drag races. Now if they want to challenge me to a gas mileage contest, I’m on. :p

Question. How good is the CVT in the Subaru Outback?

I drove one last week with about 25k miles and was impressed all around. I was thinking I could see myself in one of these someday.

Then today I drove another one with 44k miles and was shocked. What I’m guessing was the CVT made a loud whining, almost growling sound. I assumed it was the transmission since I’ve driven Nissans with worm out CVTs which made the same noise

Who makes the tranny on these cars?

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

I took a big risk today but I think it will be OK. My E40 is 4 years old and no more warranty or prepaid maintenance. It only has 28000 miles on it, and I only went 6000 miles this year....with covid lockdowns.
    The E had a complete prepaid A Service last year. The monitor said I was due for a B Service which I think costs about $500. Here is what is on a B service;
    Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system
    Starter battery, wet cell (located at R/H strut) Check battery acid level, replenish
    Additionally, check battery using "Midtronics MCR 717" tester. Attach Midtronics MCR 717 Test Report print out here.
    Lubricate catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation. Replace components with even the slightest malfunction.

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes
    Remove and reinstall wheels, rotate if necessary, does not apply for vehicles with different tire sizes front/rear

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Since I only did half a years worth of driving and the car only has 28k miles, I did an oil change, check tires and check fluid levels. Cost $250.

I wonder how many people go by the actual service plans and how necessary is it? I don't even think the prepaid plan is worth it if you aren't doing at least average driving a year. Though, with the prepaid plan you should have no problems no matter what goes wrong - then they guaranty everything completely and that is worth something.

Headlight cleaning system? What does that involve, filling up with blinker fluid?
    Several of my BMWs have had it; high pressure sprayers that work with the windshield washer system.
    It's hard to do when you are driving 80 mph.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

I had a couple of those Mercedes sedans with headlight washers and wipers - a 1987 420 SEL and a 1991 300E. I only used them when I was driving at night on roads laden with salt after a snowstorm. They worked OK and I didn’t have to pull over to clean the lenses.

2021 Genesis G90

venture said:

Well there was the '70s Camaro that amputated it's oil pan on a frost heave trying to keep up with my Bavaria on a twisting two lane.

A new Bonneville SSEi almost clipped a guardrail following my 535is up an on-ramp with an off-camber apex.

As I related a few months ago, I took an out of the way route home that has two 90 degree left hand turns; the second is a bit off camber. I was in the Clubman and a Giulia Ti Lusso(I think) came up quick behind me. I pulled away quite a bit at the first left-hander so he really wanted to hang with me at the second corner. He early apexed the turn-naturally-and then got on the throttle too soon. The tail really stepped out. I wish I had been in the Club Sport or M235i- the humiliation would have been even worse.

The most fun, however was the '90s Trans Am that got WAY loose trying to catch me on another ramp after I passed him on the outside in my Club Sport with a speed differential of over 25 mph. In the rain.
    Examples of poor skills. One time when I still had the Elantra I was driving on some two lane country road with the cruise control set to maybe somewhere around 5 - 10 over SL (so maybe 65 or less in a 55). Here in Illinois that usually means pretty straight roads. A Audi comes up behind me really fast and then just hangs on my rear end for several miles. Then we came on a series of somewhat serious curves that I kept the cruise control on and took with some but slight difficulty, However I left the Audi way behind me.

driver100 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KitQQHm0Eoc

Sorry, but that doesn't float my boat.

venture said:

Yeah, that’s a 5.0. Says so right on the side. What was he thinking with that paint job.

4 cyl. Mustangs have no business trying to race anybody.
    That turbo 4 banger does move that car, not as fast as a GT but better than most cars.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited April 2021
    310HP and 350 torque.... no slouch at all. More power than many “muscle cars” in the past.

I’d still want the V8... but 300 HP is 300 HP

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    So, have been outlining my renewed fascination with car buying over at CCBA.

Bring everyone up to speed, curiosity got the better of me with everyone talking about getting great bids from the online car marketplace for their used steeds. Thought I’d give it a shot. Ended up, CarMax ended up giving me $2K+ more for my Stinger than I paid for it, about 15 months ago. Off to Carmax it went. Don’t understand it, and still wonder if they made a mistake of epic proportions, but no matter. I got their money and signed over the title to them.

That’s all the reason I needed to go shopping.

That brings me to the final impressions of the Stinger. I’m wondering if it’s a car that’s made for the young(er) set, who don’t have the funds to buy it?

It’s a good car.....a really good car. It’s a true Grand Tourer, which fits my preferences. It’s fast. It handles well. It rides well. It’s loaded to the gills with every modern option (at least mine was). It brakes well. It’s just an all around very good car.

I bought it right, too. I was looking at the paperwork on it when I bought it (end of 2019), and I paid $37K and change....for the top GT2 model with all the goodies. I can’t think of one.....NOT ONE car that I’m aware of that is as good as the Stinger is at anywhere near that price. I mentioned before, it closely reminds me of an S4, which would be almost 2X the price.

If there are any dings against it (and these are very minor) it would be the small gas tank, and the mediocre MPG. If you’re worried about MPGs, probably shouldn’t be looking at cars with twin turbos on them, though. It has a pretty sizable blind spot at the side rears. Not a big problem given all the camera angles it’s capable of showing.

The elephant in the room is the dealer network. I personally think the dealers are the single biggest reason the Stinger didn’t sell better. Not sure if KIA chose their dealers poorly, or the dealers they did choose just don’t care enough to change up their focus to sell $50K+ vehicles. What’s clear to me, KIA is offering higher end vehicles like the Stinger and Telluride. If they want to play in that environment, they’ll have to change their focus, on how they sell and how they service. Otherwise, KIA can forget trying to move up market.

Enjoyed my time with the Stinger, a lot. Would have kept it. But, when you get a chance to drive a car for about a year and a half for free, and stick some money in your pocket in the process, well....you do that.

I’ve bought many cars over many years. I’ve NEVER seen a market like this before. It’s crazy!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    tjc78 said:

310HP and 350 torque.... no slouch at all. More power than many “muscle cars” in the past.

I'll agree that the V8 is preferred over the Turbo 4 but in reality I really don't need all that additional power and for 1/3 more in price I really don't think it's worth it. I mean I rarely floor it in the Sonata and the only times I have floored the 4 series was just to see what it would do.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,438
    edited April 2021
    The 2.3 is objectively fast even by today’s standards. And will outdrag just about any muscle car from the glory days. Also more power than I’d likely ever use.

I think it’s more imagine driven. And the V8 does sound better.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2021

driver100 said:

Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Their purpose is the same as windshield washers; they are for use while you are driving.

Bring everyone up to speed, curiosity got the better of me with everyone talking about getting great bids from the online car marketplace for their used steeds. Thought I’d give it a shot. Ended up, CarMax ended up giving me $2K+ more for my Stinger than I paid for it, about 15 months ago. Off to Carmax it went. Don’t understand it, and still wonder if they made a mistake of epic proportions, but no matter. I got their money and signed over the title to them.

That brings me to the final impressions of the Stinger. I’m wondering if it’s a car that’s made for the young(er) set, who don’t have the funds to buy it?

It’s a good car.....a really good car. It’s a true Grand Tourer, which fits my preferences. It’s fast. It handles well. It rides well. It’s loaded to the gills with every modern option (at least mine was). It brakes well. It’s just an all around very good car.

I bought it right, too. I was looking at the paperwork on it when I bought it (end of 2019), and I paid $37K and change....for the top GT2 model with all the goodies. I can’t think of one.....NOT ONE car that I’m aware of that is as good as the Stinger is at anywhere near that price. I mentioned before, it closely reminds me of an S4, which would be almost 2X the price.

If there are any dings against it (and these are very minor) it would be the small gas tank, and the mediocre MPG. If you’re worried about MPGs, probably shouldn’t be looking at cars with twin turbos on them, though. It has a pretty sizable blind spot at the side rears. Not a big problem given all the camera angles it’s capable of showing.

The elephant in the room is the dealer network. I personally think the dealers are the single biggest reason the Stinger didn’t sell better. Not sure if KIA chose their dealers poorly, or the dealers they did choose just don’t care enough to change up their focus to sell $50K+ vehicles. What’s clear to me, KIA is offering higher end vehicles like the Stinger and Telluride. If they want to play in that environment, they’ll have to change their focus, on how they sell and how they service. Otherwise, KIA can forget trying to move up market.

Enjoyed my time with the Stinger, a lot. Would have kept it. But, when you get a chance to drive a car for about a year and a half for free, and stick some money in your pocket in the process, well....you do that.

I’ve bought many cars over many years. I’ve NEVER seen a market like this before. It’s crazy!

I’ve crossed the Stinger off my list; the AWD models get grand touring tires and a reduced speed limiter while the RWD models aren’t readily available. And I don’t want to have to deal with the bottom-feeder acclimated dealer service.

I’m going to run my 2er through CarMax just for giggles. If they offer me over $20k they can have it.

driver100 said:

Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

Their purpose is the same as windshield washers; they keep are for use while you are driving.

We were in rural Indiana coming home one night and on a dark road I used the windshield washer to clean up the windshield and I noticed that when I did that the headlights got noticeably brighter. It just spays the headlights ever so many uses of the windshield washer.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

So slow down and don’t drive at 80 MPH. I doubt doing 80 is legal where you drive. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    The mustang has 2 flavors of the 2.3. You have to get the HPP to get the higher performance engine.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

The 2.3 is objectively fast even by today’s standards. And will outdrag just about any muscle car from the glory days. Also more power than I’d likely ever use.

In my humble estimation, you should not be allowed to buy either the Mustang or the Camaro with anything less than a V8. Should be the 11th commandment.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

stickguy said:

In my humble estimation, you should not be allowed to buy either the Mustang or the Camaro with anything less than a V8. Should be the 11th commandment.
    I agree. That’s keeping with my philosophy that if a car is offered with a larger engine, that’s the one to get.

Back in 1968 I changed my mind about buying an Olds Delta 88 2 door hardtop with the 350 engine and bought the Delta 88 Custom 2 door hardtop with the 455 engine, was never sorry I did that.

So, what peaks your interest now that the Stinger is gone?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

Don’t many credit cards provide insurance when you rent a car?

edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Function Check:
    Headlamp cleaning system

Wheels, Brakes:
    Correct tire inflation

Engine Compartment:
    Windshield washer system

Front, rear of vehicle:

Wheels, brakes

Vehicle underbody:

Engine compartment:
    Power steering

Additional work:

Replace fuel filter

Replace coolant

Every 2 years:
    Replace brake fluid

Replace spark plugs

You drive 80 mph at night through the mud? If you can’t stop to clean your headlights I’d check my brakes too. ;)

I think they kind of piggyback on your existing policy and pay the deductible, "secondary" insurance.

There are also third party insurers who will provide full cover for under $10/day, much less than the rental car company insurance/LDW which is usually $30-40/day. I used Allianz when I rented a car at Christmas - wanting peace of mind to avoid the hassle I dealt with after my not-at-fault rental car crash in 2018 (which was eventually taken care of by the credit card and Hertz, but it took months). It was $9/day.

stickguy said:

Don’t many credit cards provide insurance when you rent a car?
    tjc78 said:

No doubt 300+ hp. Is considerable (equal to the 4.6L GT) but the bar keeps getting raised. When challenged by a 700hp Hellcat at the stop light drag race 300hp is puny relatively speaking.

You'll probably never find a deal like that Stinger again - you were at the right place at the right time, like the fortunate ones who bought West Bellevue houses for 50K 40 years ago.

I wonder if anyone ever got a better deal on a GT2, you have to be up there like an all time champion for that one. It was more than 20% off MSRP, right?

stickguy said:

A ponycar without a V8 is right up there with a Miata with an automatic as far as automotive crimes against nature go...

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    I was on a jury trial about 10 years ago,

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

I've only heard of that being done on EVs due to the regenerative braking. Unless the calipers are exposed to the elements for an extended period of time unused, I don't see how that's a necessary service.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199

stickguy said:

Like a Miata or a WRX without a manual transmission. Verboten.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator