Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    56?! That must be a mistake. Their system is not seeing it as an M or something. Maybe you should email.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• krwest1krwest1 Member Posts: 74
    qbrozen said:

56?! That must be a mistake. Their system is not seeing it as an M or something. Maybe you should email.

Either a mistake or they really don't want it. I'll shoot them an email.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

tj11119 said:

Appreciate help trade pricing for a:
    2019 BMW X2 sdrive28i
    Automatic with 15,000 miles.
    Gold exterior, beige interior.
    Convenience pkg, Pano Moonroof, Premium wheels, located in socal 92154

Thanks in advance

Quite a variation on these. I suppose the level of equipment is making most of the difference. Yours is rather sparsely optioned, and I’d imagine gold won’t be very popular (I wasn’t aware that was even a color choice) so I’d have to take a shot at $25k-$26k.
    It's FWD as well...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

tj11119 said:

2019 BMW X2 sdrive28i

Thanks in advance

Quite a variation on these. I suppose the level of equipment is making most of the difference. Yours is rather sparsely optioned, and I’d imagine gold won’t be very popular (I wasn’t aware that was even a color choice) so I’d have to take a shot at $25k-$26k.
    It's FWD as well...
    Yes, no worries, I was only comparing only Sdrive.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

krwest1 said:

Looking for trade value for 2020 BMW X3M Competition. Alpine White. 7000 miles. Driving Assistance Plus. Executive Package. Front ventilated seats. Located in South Carolina 29588. Thanks in advance.

Tough one. A similar vehicle went through Atlanta auction for $68,750, but there was a blue one in CA for $66k and a gray one in PA for $67k. Trade? Might be $65k is as comfortable as a dealer would be. Have you tried running it past Carvana/Vroom? I'd be curious where they hit it.
    Carvana finally came back at 61.5
    krwest1 said:

qbrozen said:

krwest1 said:

Looking for trade value for 2020 BMW X3M Competition. Alpine White. 7000 miles. Driving Assistance Plus. Executive Package. Front ventilated seats. Located in South Carolina 29588. Thanks in advance.

Tough one. A similar vehicle went through Atlanta auction for $68,750, but there was a blue one in CA for $66k and a gray one in PA for $67k. Trade? Might be $65k is as comfortable as a dealer would be. Have you tried running it past Carvana/Vroom? I'd be curious where they hit it.
    geesh.

qbrozen said:

krwest1 said:

qbrozen said:

krwest1 said:

geesh.
    GiveMeTheVIN came in at 64. Are they legit?
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    So being a vague CCB at heart, just for sh*ts and giggles I entered my RDX into Carvana and Vroom the other day... it's a '15 AWD Tech with 77K. I was thinking maybe in the 13s but Vroom was just north of 14 and Carvana was 15,4! Can't say I was in the market, but at what point is the number big enough that it's a good opportunity to sell high?

And it wasn't too long ago that I had it in for routine service and I noticed a '16 Allroad on the lot... is it the right time and price for a proper wagon again? https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/used-Louisville-2016-Audi-allroad-20T+Premium+Plus+quattro-WA1UFAFL8GA017439
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the problem with taking the bubble to sell it, is you are likely to get hosed trying to buy a replacement. But a great time to dump a spare car you don't really need anyway!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ChrisConroyChrisConroy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, looking for a trade in value. Thanks in advance for the help. I’ve got a 2005 BMW 330i with 125k miles. Silver. Location is Denver Colorado. Standard options. Car is cosmetically in good shape. Needs suspension work. Was thinking of trading it in rather than selling private party. Might be foolish or ignorance but I don’t think my conscience would feel good if I sold it private party knowing it needs $2k in suspension work. Figure this car will be wholesaled by a dealer. What do you think is a reasonable trade in amount? Thanks.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Hi all, looking for a trade in value. Thanks in advance for the help. I’ve got a 2005 BMW 330i with 125k miles. Silver. Location is Denver Colorado. Standard options. Car is cosmetically in good shape. Needs suspension work. Was thinking of trading it in rather than selling private party. Might be foolish or ignorance but I don’t think my conscience would feel good if I sold it private party knowing it needs $2k in suspension work. Figure this car will be wholesaled by a dealer. What do you think is a reasonable trade in amount? Thanks.

Unless this is a special edition (e.g a ZHP), I'd sell it private party with clear pictures, a list of all maintenance history over the past 3 years (especially cooling system, VANOS, etc.) and current needs. I'm assuming you're looking at a $3k-$4k car given the needs private party. If it has lights on the dash, cosmetic issues, etc. keep deducting.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

I don’t know what “standard options” means. Does it have idrive? Does it have a moonroof? Does it have sport seats? In Denver with no AWD?

qbrozen said:

I don’t know what “standard options” means. Does it have idrive? Does it have a moonroof? Does it have sport seats? In Denver with no AWD?
    Thats an E46- no iDrive. The xDrive system in those cars is fairly crude- I'd pay extra NOT to have it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Ok maybe not idrive, but nav was an option, yes? And regardless of what you think of xdrive, it affects the value, especially in snowy areas.

• ChrisConroyChrisConroy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for missing some details. I meant to say standard equipment. Ie no nav. No I drive, No Xdrive, does have a moonroof. Not sure about performance seats but I’d guess not.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for missing some details. I meant to say standard equipment. Ie no nav. No I drive, No Xdrive, does have a moonroof. Not sure about performance seats but I’d guess not.

D’oh! I forgot to ask how many doors. Well, no biggie. Sounds like maybe a $1500 trade. $1750 if it is a 2-door.

Clean it up real nice, be honest about it, list it for $3995 and I’m sure someone would cough up $3500 for it.

• areitanoareitano Member Posts: 24
    Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a used certified car from a dealership. I've never done this before and would greatly appreciate some feedback to my questions:

1. What is a fair price to settle on from the list price of $20,225?
    2. The doc fee is $479, should I negotiate this too? If so, what is fair?
    3. Am I better off financing the vehicle through a 3rd party, ie. LightStream? I went to AutoLenders last month and gave them my info to see if I would get approved for a loan and they wouldn't disclose the breakdown of the finance terms, instead, they just kept asking me where did I want my payment to be and kept adjusting the monthly terms and down payment so I don't want to go through that process again if that's how every dealership does business.

Below are the details/link on the vehicle I'm interested in?

Certified Pre-Owned 2018 Honda
    CR-V LX AWD SUV
    VIN: 2HKRW6H30JH213770

Detailed Pricing

Price: $20,225
    Doc Fee: $479
    Sale Price: $20,704

https://www.burnshonda.com/certified/Honda/2018-Honda-CR-V-7567773f0a0e0adf2cfdb41a1fb430e8.htm

THANK YOU SO MIUCH!
    That’s my Honda dealer!

To your questions, always good to gave a pretty approval but dealer will almost always match or beat the rate. And I find it much easier to just do it all together.

The doc fee is their standard. But you can just consider it part of the selling price for calculating what you want to pay. And don’t get sucked into negotiating payments. Nail down the price with fees, then look at interest rate. Those 2 items matter, payment just becomes math. Auto lenders is a fixed price, no haggle operation though. The dealer isn’t.

Might not be much negotiating room now. Used car supply is tight, and prices up. I can’t say if the price listed is good, that’s someone else’s job here!

areitano said:

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a used certified car from a dealership. I've never done this before and would greatly appreciate some feedback to my questions:

1. What is a fair price to settle on from the list price of $20,225?
    2. The doc fee is $479, should I negotiate this too? If so, what is fair?
    3. Am I better off financing the vehicle through a 3rd party, ie. LightStream? I went to AutoLenders last month and gave them my info to see if I would get approved for a loan and they wouldn't disclose the breakdown of the finance terms, instead, they just kept asking me where did I want my payment to be and kept adjusting the monthly terms and down payment so I don't want to go through that process again if that's how every dealership does business.

Below are the details/link on the vehicle I'm interested in?

Certified Pre-Owned 2018 Honda
    CR-V LX AWD SUV
    VIN: 2HKRW6H30JH213770

Detailed Pricing

Price: $20,225
    Doc Fee: $479
    Sale Price: $20,704

https://www.burnshonda.com/certified/Honda/2018-Honda-CR-V-7567773f0a0e0adf2cfdb41a1fb430e8.htm

THANK YOU SO MIUCH!

Well, either that exact one or its twin passed through auction in NJ about 2 weeks ago. The buying dealer paid $19.8k before transport and fees. If that is the right one, they are losing money at that advertised price, even with the doc fee added.

• g8orgrantg8orgrant Member Posts: 47
    What's a trade in value for 2018 Audi A4 Premium Plus AWD with cold weather package? Black over brown. 13K miles. Clean carfax, excellent condition. Long Island/NY Metro area. Vroom hit me at $30K while Carvana hit me at $29.1K.

My buy-out is $28.3K, but tax pushes it to over $30K. So no sense there. Trying to figure out what a dealer might hit it at, and then I can see if i can extract any equity out of it (from an Audi dealer).

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    g8orgrant said:

What's a trade in value for 2018 Audi A4 Premium Plus AWD with cold weather package? Black over brown. 13K miles. Clean carfax, excellent condition. Long Island/NY Metro area. Vroom hit me at $30K while Carvana hit me at $29.1K.

My buy-out is $28.3K, but tax pushes it to over $30K. So no sense there. Trying to figure out what a dealer might hit it at, and then I can see if i can extract any equity out of it (from an Audi dealer).

Thanks!

Carvana and Vroom are dealers. If you sell to them, you don't pay sales tax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

g8orgrant said:

Thanks!

But the problem is that I'm not sure if the payoff quote would apply to a non-Audi dealer. It's a lease, which I thought complicated matters.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    g8orgrant said:

kyfdx said:

g8orgrant said:

Thanks!

But the problem is that I'm not sure if the payoff quote would apply to a non-Audi dealer. It's a lease, which I thought complicated matters.
    You pay sales tax if you buy it out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Buy out is buyout. You or Carvana pay the same for the car. They just don’t pay sales tax like you do.

g8orgrant said:

kyfdx said:

g8orgrant said:

Thanks!

The payoff could be different, but I don't think that Audi does that. It's worth a shot. Either way, you definitely wouldn't be on the hook for sales tax. If allowed, they will buy the car directly from Audi Financial.. no tax.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Buy out is buyout. You or Carvana pay the same for the car. They just don’t pay sales tax like you do.

Not always the case, unfortunately. There are many reports of leasing companies giving a different buyout quote to 3rd parties. Their contractual obligation is to YOU, so they can charge someone else whatever they want.

g8orgrant said:

Thanks!

Those are very strong offers. It would have trouble hitting $29k at auction, so, as a trade, you’d be likely looking at $28k, tops.

qbrozen said:

g8orgrant said:

Thanks!

Those are very strong offers. It would have trouble hitting $29k at auction, so, as a trade, you’d be likely looking at $28k, tops.
    Thanks much guys. I have two solid offers from Carvana and Vroom. I've seen mixed things about success with Audi FInancial Services. The offer is locked for a few days, so I'll have to spend some time calling these guys and researching to see how viable this is. Much appreciate the thoughts.
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2021
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

tj11119 said:

2019 BMW X2 sdrive28i

Thanks in advance

It's FWD as well...

Vroom came in at 30k, so we decided to go ahead and sell it. I’m not a super fan of the galvanic gold, but it fits the character of the X2 pretty well.

Thanks Q
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited April 2021
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Not always the case, unfortunately. There are many reports of leasing companies giving a different buyout quote to 3rd parties. Their contractual obligation is to YOU, so they can charge someone else whatever they want.
    Hyundai Financial gives different buyouts to dealers. When I sold my Genesis to Autolenders they quoted about $1500 less most of which ended up in my pocket so I wasn’t complaining.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited April 2021
    tj11119 said:

qbrozen said:

tj11119 said:

2019 BMW X2 sdrive28i

Thanks in advance

Vroom came in at 30k, so we decided to go ahead and sell it. I’m not a super fan of the galvanic gold, but it fits the character of the X2 pretty well.

Thanks Q
    $30k?! Wow!! Congrats! Maybe I should run my wife’s again

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    For what it’s worth, we traded my wife’s leased MINI to Carvana, and it went off without a hitch.

I’d say give it a shot - it’ll be up to Carvana to determine if they can do it and accept the payoff quote from Audi.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I have sold 2 to Carvana. Easy process and no issues at all with the financial aspect. The last one was a lease so I do know how that works. They make the offer on the car, then once you accept they verify the payoff with the lender and send you the final purchase statement (where the money is going). I had an Acura and what they told me was exactly the same as what they told Carvana. They had no issue closing out the lease (first one I had a loan on, and they had no issues with that either).

breld said:

For what it’s worth, we traded my wife’s leased MINI to Carvana, and it went off without a hitch.

I’d say give it a shot - it’ll be up to Carvana to determine if they can do it and accept the payoff quote from Audi.

I'll assume (hope?) that Vroom and Carvana can have similar success w/ Audi, if it's even possible. Of course, minutes after I put in my quote on Vroom, they actually reached out to me proactive. I had tried calling Carvana, and there's insane waits right now (longer than an hour), and they don't have a return your call queue.

As an interesting data point, this is the second time I priced this car w/ Vroom in the last 30 days:

3/8: $26,876
    3/13: they proactively increased my offer to $27,376
    4/9: 30,047

I get the used card market is hot, but this is just insane. And so much for a car being a depreciating asset - and for full disclosure, there's nothing unique or super interesting about this Audi A4. Low mileage (13K) might be its best selling point, but in this covid work from home world, I'd imagine there's leases being turned in with lighter than normal miles.
    @qbrozen
    For a friend.. selling private party. Cincinnati area.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    By today's crazy used car numbers, that's gotta be a $7500+ car private party...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Looks like a nice car. Should get snapped up quick. I’ll guess list it at $4,995

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Missing a really important bit of info there. About the only option on a Camcord not specified by trim. I'll let you guess. :)

Engine choice

With those wheels it very well could be a V6. Totally transforms that generation.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited April 2021
    They offered an SMG on those Camrys, right?
    tjc78 said:

Engine choice

I was guessing Camry corner.

corvette said:

They offered an SMG on those Camrys, right?

I don’t believe in 07. That’s most likely the 5speed Aisin unit they used in everything then.

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen

Missing a really important bit of info there. About the only option on a Camcord not specified by trim. I'll let you guess. :)
    4 cylinder XLE

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

alrighty. Given the history, even with the low miles, I'd say this is about a $3k auction car. So maybe see $2500 on trade. Your friend could TRY asking $5995 and see what happens. If it needs to go quick, then start with $4995.

@qbrozen Thanks... he was thinking $5K. Maybe, he’ll start a little higher. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Any guess on a fair price for this 2018 440i?
    It has the M Performance Power and Sound Kit($3,000+$300 CF Tips+installation) and it's an M performance car, which added the front splitter and rear spoiler.

Any guess on a fair price for this 2018 440i?
    It has the M Performance Power and Sound Kit($3,000+$300 CF Tips+installation) and it's an M performance car, which added the front splitter and rear spoiler.

Assuming it is clean, it is a $35k auction car, so $37.5k-$38k retail. I'll let you determine what CPO is worth to you.

Thanks as always!