Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Early trade in on lease?

Seattleite61Seattleite61 Member Posts: 9
edited April 2021 in Toyota
Hello! I am currently leasing a 2019 Highlander Platinum and would like to possibly trade it in for a new Hybrid model at one point. How far from lease end should I expect to be able to negotiate a decent deal without having to roll in any of the current lease? I am in a 3/36k lease and anticipate having about 26k miles by the end of the 3 years, so less if I am able to trade early. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Hello! I am currently leasing a 2019 Highlander Platinum and would like to possibly trade it in for a new Hybrid model at one point. How far from lease end should I expect to be able to negotiate a decent deal without having to roll in any of the current lease? I am in a 3/36k lease and anticipate having about 26k miles by the end of the 3 years, so less if I am able to trade early. Thanks in advance!

Technically, the answer is 0 months. Any time you end a lease early, you are responsible for the remaining payments.

Get quotes from Vroom, Carvana and Carmax, and compare them to your current buyout price. That way, you'll know if you have positive or negative equity.

At the moment, used car prices are very high, so you may be surprised with the offers you get.

But, you'll then have to get a new car, and the deals on them aren't that great at the moment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Update - I was able to secure a ‘21 Platinum Hybrid that was an allocation (not built yet) shortly after my original post. I used Costco pricing and was able to get 10.5% off MSRP (that was the Costco discount back in April) plus $1250 in incentives when I picked up the vehicle this past Friday! Carmax bought out the lease on my ‘19 Platinum and cut me a check for $5500. I’m a happy camper!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Update - I was able to secure a ‘21 Platinum Hybrid that was an allocation (not built yet) shortly after my original post. I used Costco pricing and was able to get 10.5% off MSRP (that was the Costco discount back in April) plus $1250 in incentives when I picked up the vehicle this past Friday! Carmax bought out the lease on my ‘19 Platinum and cut me a check for $5500. I’m a happy camper!

Congrats!

Thanks for the report.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4