Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Hey @gg -- This copy looks similar to yours. Wow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4Mj7H4E3Y
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Samsung refrigerators have a terrible reputation in my mind, based on lots of reports, so I would never buy one. Until your report I hadn't heard much one way or the other about LG refrigerators but I am not really surprised. When I bought the LG washer/dryer here 11 years ago I expressed my skepticism to the lady working the appliance dept when she made her recommendation to me. Her response was "That is the only thing they make that I can recommend. Their washers are good, the dryers OK, but I wouldn't touch their fridges or stoves."

I sense that both Korean brands have achieved sales success with what seems to be more features at the same or lower price than other brands, but I suspect they are a lower price/higher margin line for big-box stores like HD and Lowes, so they push them hard.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Looks like they are going to keep my car at the service department for at least the rest of this week and possibly longer. They can’t seem to locate a replace the radio system and won’t release my car until they do - it’s a safety issue in that the car does not show up on their telemetry and certain systems are not functioning.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2021

Some folks asked for impressions after I had been driving the new TLX for a little bit.

Overall impressions....

-it’s faster than my previous TLX with the 3.5L V6 with more low end torque. Honda/Acura makes great engines. The V6 was smooth as silk. This I4 is no different. It’s actually smoother than just about any 4 cyl I’ve ever driven, and that includes some good ones from the likes of BMW and Audi/VW. It’s also noticeably slower than the Stinger. The TLX feels quick, though....maybe high 5s 0-60 in normal driving.

-The structure feels much more rigid than my last TLX and the Stinger. The result is a very flat cornering stance and a very secure experience over bumps. As such, it rides better than the last TLX or the Stinger.

-The steering is more precise even though it feels lighter than the last TLX. It’s about the same as the stinger.

-The SH AWD system has obviously been updated. I don’t think I’ve ever driven any sedan, FWD, RWD, AWD...that handles as well as this TLX....that includes my previous Stinger. Given, I’ve never driven any of the BMW M cars or any AMG cars, I have driven Audi S4s and my son’s GTI. The TLX is better.

-Brakes are easily modulated and linear.

-Visibility is WAY BETTER than it was in the Stinger....

-Seats are wonderfully supportive AND comfortable. Acura is doing some great seats these days. Heated and cooled...thumbs up! Milano leather (whatever kind of leather that is) is soft and feels very high quality. Seats have a suede/alcantara insert which is grippy and looks good to boot....

-10-speed transmission...thank you Acura deities for dumping the ZF transmission. Can’t trip up this new transmission. Smooth shifting, ready to down shift with little provocation (especially in Sport Mode). No jerkiness. Big upgrade.

-Big upgrade in materials. REAL STITCHED (red) dash and doors. No fake metal, real aluminum trim, fun ambient lighting changes. All buttons look high quality and operate with a quality feel. Red on silver gauges are easy to read. Big, new NAV screen with much better software and higher resolution. Been using the Acura Nav system as the voice recognition is very good and easy to operate. Steering wheel feels great, is fat and fits my hands well. Assembly is typical Honda....of the highest order (and yes, better than the Stinger).

-Paint is gorgeous (pearlescent white, which looks way better in person than in pics). Seams are all uniform and tight (typical Honda/Acura).

Overall, it’s a much more refined car than the previous one. Which is sort of weird for something that’s as capable as it is....

Thanks for your report. Sounds like a really good car for c. $45k.

I guess this would be the more or less comparable BMW 3-series, although it doesn't look like this one has the upgraded sound system.

https://www.louisvillebmw.com/new-Jefferson+County-2021-BMW-3+Series-330i+xDrive-3MW5R7J09M8B87976

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    Appliances - have my own story to share. Kitchen has GE appliance all around. They came with the house, which is now 5 years old.

Loaded up the dishwasher yesterday and discovered it had no power. Nada. Checked the main panel and found that the breaker had tripped. Reset it and all is well.

However, this is the third different breaker that has tripped for us in the past few months. First two were GFCI outlets, one in the master bath and the other in the basement - which happens to control the outlets on the front porch and back patio. These outlets both have security cameras attached to them, so when the breaker trips, the cameras stop working.

Had an electrician come out and put in a 20 amp breaker, to replace the 15 amp that was there. So far, no issues with those outlets.

But, I've never had so many issues with the electricity at any of the houses we've owned. Not sure what could be causing this.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    Poltergeists!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I must be living dangerously. Stove and WD Samsung, fridge is LG. DW is Kitchenaid, and the only one do far (knock wood) to have issues. But also the oldest at 10 YO now. Fridge is probably 7 and WD 5? Maybe that’s reversed. But none of them that recent. I think the stove WD got in 2018.

I wouldn’t call service on any of them most likely, other than the fridge. That came with a 10 year compressor warranty. I really just want them all to last until I can convince the wife to finally move. If I have to spend on new stuff, I want it to be in a new house so I can get use from it.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited April 2021
    carnaught said:

...but old school top freezer model, an 18 cu ft. Frigidaire for the garage. This was almost heaven to have cold storage once again available at the homestead. The uncomplicated Frigidaire, by the way, is stellar - no perks, no ice maker, etc.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    abacomike said:

Looks like they are going to keep my car at the service department for at least the rest of this week and possibly longer. They can’t seem to locate a replace the radio system and won’t release my car until they do - it’s a safety issue in that the car does not show up on their telemetry and certain systems are not functioning.

Ask them to start making your monthly payment as long as they have it. Mike, you've had the craziest luck with several of your recent cars. Trunk mysteriously opening on your BMW and it getting soaked. That's just one I remember. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping this is the only issue you experience with your G 90.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    stickguy said:

Poltergeists!

I was going to say...they only moved the headstones.
  • Options
    Screwed up the T.V. picture too, right!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The appliance talk makes me think of the final visit to my late grandmother's house, which I took a few weeks ago. First, the emblem on the freezer in the garage, this was bought when the house was built almost 60 years ago. Freezer still runs like new, was left for the new owner to deal with, I fear it will be tossed out - maybe someone will use it though:

And the cooktop and range hood - not the best pic as I snapped it quickly. Original copper appliances, original counters and cabinets. The ad copy did mention the original cabinetry as a selling point (the one owner aspect was a talking point in the ad), but I suspect these too will eventually be tossed:

I suspect for items like this, they really don't make them like they used to.

• Options
    That reminds me of my parents house. Built in I think 1960, they bought it new, and had it until my father sold it in 2015. Still had original cabinets and counters like that house. Appliances had been changed though. Place was taken down to the studs immediately and rebuilt double the SF. Even the rafters ripped out to put on a 2nd floor.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Pure mid-century cabinets, I suspect veneer plywood? Held up well. I like them, but the cooktop is in a very tight space and I couldn't live with that.

Seeing the Coldspot refrigerator reminds me that for a while back in the '70s, we had a place in the country. Bought it furnished, but the fridge was old, from the '40s most likely, and too small. Dad found a large Coldspot (or was it a Hotpoint? Always got those two confused) for sale, used, somewhere and bought it. It was likely from the '60s and was built like a tank. Mom always said it was the best fridge they ever owned.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    bwia said:

yeah..that one's identical to mine. That's what they look like when you have pro photographers video-ing them. LOL!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I truly believe that the older appliances were made more to last with normal usage.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @carnaught Sorry to hear about those problems.
    It seems the Koreans make nice looking appliances that - like ab said sell for an excellent price, but reliability and customer satisfaction are lacking. There seems to be a different attitude these days....sell what you can and if someone doesn't like it who cares....they won't come back but by then someone else will be running the company. TVs are a little different, no moving parts really....so they are like cookie cutter circuit boards....but, appliances have parts that can fail.
    If a new appliance breaks under warranty there should be a good effort to fix it immediately, no one wants to or should go for weeks without an appliance they bought and is still under warranty.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    Michaell said:

Appliances - have my own story to share. Kitchen has GE appliance all around. They came with the house, which is now 5 years old.

Loaded up the dishwasher yesterday and discovered it had no power. Nada. Checked the main panel and found that the breaker had tripped. Reset it and all is well.

However, this is the third different breaker that has tripped for us in the past few months. First two were GFCI outlets, one in the master bath and the other in the basement - which happens to control the outlets on the front porch and back patio. These outlets both have security cameras attached to them, so when the breaker trips, the cameras stop working.

Had an electrician come out and put in a 20 amp breaker, to replace the 15 amp that was there. So far, no issues with those outlets.

But, I've never had so many issues with the electricity at any of the houses we've owned. Not sure what could be causing this.

I don’t think the breaker tripped I think by turning it off and back on reset it. That’s the beginning of the end. Our 2 year old GE we just replaced would need to be power cycled with the breaker before it would turn on. Then it would flake out on the drying cycling before finally dying.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Some folks asked for impressions after I had been driving the new TLX for a little bit.

Overall impressions....

-it’s faster than my previous TLX with the 3.5L V6 with more low end torque. Honda/Acura makes great engines. The V6 was smooth as silk. This I4 is no different. It’s actually smoother than just about any 4 cyl I’ve ever driven, and that includes some good ones from the likes of BMW and Audi/VW. It’s also noticeably slower than the Stinger. The TLX feels quick, though....maybe high 5s 0-60 in normal driving.

-The structure feels much more rigid than my last TLX and the Stinger. The result is a very flat cornering stance and a very secure experience over bumps. As such, it rides better than the last TLX or the Stinger.

-The steering is more precise even though it feels lighter than the last TLX. It’s about the same as the stinger.

-The SH AWD system has obviously been updated. I don’t think I’ve ever driven any sedan, FWD, RWD, AWD...that handles as well as this TLX....that includes my previous Stinger. Given, I’ve never driven any of the BMW M cars or any AMG cars, I have driven Audi S4s and my son’s GTI. The TLX is better.

-Seats are wonderfully supportive AND comfortable. Acura is doing some great seats these days. Heated and cooled...thumbs up! Milano leather (whatever kind of leather that is) is soft and feels very high quality. Seats have a suede/alcantara insert which is grippy and looks good to boot....

-10-speed transmission...thank you Acura deities for dumping the ZF transmission. Can’t trip up this new transmission. Smooth shifting, ready to down shift with little provocation (especially in Sport Mode). No jerkiness. Big upgrade.

-Big upgrade in materials. REAL STITCHED (red) dash and doors. No fake metal, real aluminum trim, fun ambient lighting changes. All buttons look high quality and operate with a quality feel. Red on silver gauges are easy to read. Big, new NAV screen with much better software and higher resolution. Been using the Acura Nav system as the voice recognition is very good and easy to operate. Steering wheel feels great, is fat and fits my hands well. Assembly is typical Honda....of the highest order (and yes, better than the Stinger).

-Paint is gorgeous (pearlescent white, which looks way better in person than in pics). Seams are all uniform and tight (typical Honda/Acura).

Overall, it’s a much more refined car than the previous one. Which is sort of weird for something that’s as capable as it is....

I guess this would be the more or less comparable BMW 3-series, although it doesn't look like this one has the upgraded sound system.

Thanks for the comparison benjamih....interesting to see a comparable bmw for $5000 more. To me, the BMW would appeal to the more traditional car buyer....the Acura is more techie and suits GG more. Me OTOH.......though I like the Acura, I would go with the BMW unless I had a bad experience with my last one - then I would trust the Acura to be more reliable.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    bwia said:

Speaking of EVs, Genesis has revealed its Electrified G80. It may not set the EV market on fire but one of its redeming virtues is the reported zero to 60 in under five seconds. Enjoy.

That’s a nice color on that car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

bwia said:

yeah..that one's identical to mine. That's what they look like when you have pro photographers video-ing them. LOL!
    I think she talked me into buying one! ;)

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

I don’t think the breaker tripped I think by turning it off and back on reset it. That’s the beginning of the end. Our 2 year old GE we just replaced would need to be power cycled with the breaker before it would turn on. Then it would flake out on the drying cycling before finally dying.
    Uh oh - are you suggesting that a new dishwasher may be in my near future?

No bueno.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited April 2021
    My house has some decorative lintels over some of the windows and after 23 years they are looking like they need a refresh.
    Decided to tackle the one for the 2nd floor window over the garage.
    Of course, it took me several hours to clean, apply 3 coats of Kilz 2 and a finish coat(still might need some more finish touch up).
    While I was up there, I noticed the vinyl shutters need replacing.
    My wife dug out the original construction papers for the house and the manufacturer is still around.
    They only sell them through contractors or online.
    The online seller I found is in CA, although the manufacturer is about 25 miles from me.
    I'll have to call them to see if they can hook me up with someone more local.
    One job leads to another.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    sda said:

abacomike said:

Ask them to start making your monthly payment as long as they have it. Mike, you've had the craziest luck with several of your recent cars. Trunk mysteriously opening on your BMW and it getting soaked. That's just one I remember. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping this is the only issue you experience with your G 90.
    I called Genesis Corporate in California and spoke with the manager who is coordinating my case. He told me the engineers are trying to determine if the car was improperly “coded” I.e. software. They expect to determine this by Friday in that the codes were downloaded from the car’s computers, transmitted to their engineers, and are currently being deciphered.

Since the radio system is the car’s communications computer, if it was not coded correctly, they can clear the memory and recode it correctly if that is the “gremlin” causing the problem. If it turns out that it is not the cause of the car’s inability to communicate through the Verizon towers to Genesis, it would not need a new radio system. But they have gone ahead and ordered a replacement radio from South Korea just in case it is needed.

So I will be driving this G90 loaner until they return my car, repaired, or provide me with a new replacement G90. At least they are working diligently to try to get my car back to me in working order.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

sda said:

abacomike said:

I called Genesis Corporate in California and spoke with the manager who is coordinating my case. He told me the engineers are trying to determine if the car was improperly “coded” I.e. software. They expect to determine this by Friday in that the codes were downloaded from the car’s computers, transmitted to their engineers, and are currently being deciphered.

Since the radio system is the car’s communications computer, if it was not coded correctly, they can clear the memory and recode it correctly if that is the “gremlin” causing the problem. If it turns out that it is not the cause of the car’s inability to communicate through the Verizon towers to Genesis, it would not need a new radio system. But they have gone ahead and ordered a replacement radio from South Korea just in case it is needed.

So I will be driving this G90 loaner until they return my car, repaired, or provide me with a new replacement G90. At least they are working diligently to try to get my car back to me in working order.
    You have enough bad luck for 5 of us regular members, with regards to your cars.

The E-Class that was built without options you paid for.
    The other E-Class (or was it a 5-series?) that needed the injectors replaced.
    Now this, with the radio in the G90.

I think only @graphicguy has had bigger problems, and multiple buy-backs (GM, Audi).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    fintail said:

The appliance talk makes me think of the final visit to my late grandmother's house, which I took a few weeks ago. First, the emblem on the freezer in the garage, this was bought when the house was built almost 60 years ago. Freezer still runs like new, was left for the new owner to deal with, I fear it will be tossed out - maybe someone will use it though:

And the cooktop and range hood - not the best pic as I snapped it quickly. Original copper appliances, original counters and cabinets. The ad copy did mention the original cabinetry as a selling point (the one owner aspect was a talking point in the ad), but I suspect these too will eventually be tossed:

I suspect for items like this, they really don't make them like they used to.

AM I the only one who is concerned that the controls on that stove top are on the wrong side?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    @abacomike
    That was always the most likely cause of the malfunction....the same as the Bluetooth in the Audi A4.
    They should put me in charge of Genesis Technical Info.

• Options
    driver100 said:

@abacomike
    That was always the most likely cause of the malfunction....the same as the Bluetooth in the Audi A4.

God help us all!!! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Yep, kind of a thick plywood (I remember examining the "layers" when I was younger, as these cabinets seemed more interesting than ours at home, maybe because they had/have snappy magnetic latches).

Cooktop is alongside the wall oven, it and the fridge were replaced around 15 years ago, when they both suffered issues at nearly the same time, oven seal stopped being effective, and plastic parts of the fridge shelf decayed and couldn't be repaired. Flooring was also done then, original linoleum (very 50s/60s, a kind of mother of pearl pebbled texture with gold glitter pieces) developed a little crack, and that really bugged grandma. She kept the place spotless.

A full view - I suspect whatever new kitchen might takes its place will also occupy the eat-in area at right - this is before everyone needed a 4000 sq ft house and a huge kitchen with 3 acres of cabinetry. It got some people going though, I am still amazed at the bids and winning offer:

ab348 said:

Pure mid-century cabinets, I suspect veneer plywood? Held up well. I like them, but the cooktop is in a very tight space and I couldn't live with that.

Seeing the Coldspot refrigerator reminds me that for a while back in the '70s, we had a place in the country. Bought it furnished, but the fridge was old, from the '40s most likely, and too small. Dad found a large Coldspot (or was it a Hotpoint? Always got those two confused) for sale, used, somewhere and bought it. It was likely from the '60s and was built like a tank. Mom always said it was the best fridge they ever owned.

• Options
    That caught my eye too, never asked about it. They bought the place when my mom and uncle were teens, so it's not like they were protecting against little kids. Maybe it was a grandma thing, but she wasn't a compulsive cook.

AM I the only one who is concerned that the controls on that stove top are on the wrong side?

• Options
    fintail said:

That caught my eye too, never asked about it. They bought the place when my mom and uncle were teens, so it's not like they were protecting against little kids. Maybe it was a grandma thing, but she wasn't a compulsive cook.

You were teens but the stove was built that way to keep the dials away from little kids......though some would climb up there and get at the dials anyway I am sure.

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

@abacomike

God help us all!!! 🤪😜🤓
    Don't worry....I'll get your car up and going. I actually set up my new cell phone Bluetooth connection on the weekend. Got a new phone and I couldn't get my old numbers into my new phone even though I transferred my SIM card. What I was able to do was import my contact list from Gmail which was of no use to me, since I only use my phone for calling....about 4 times a month if I am going to be late or something.
    Then when I went to use my Gmail on my computer all my contacts went missing. So then I had to watch a google video and find out how to recover them. Then I had to go into contacts and then trash and recover them all. Mrs D manually added about 15 of the numbers I am most likely to call. If I had known I would be doing all that I just would of suffered with the old phone.
    So, if you need any tech help...just ask! :p

• Options
    driver100 said:

Don't worry....I'll get your car up and going. I actually set up my new cell phone Bluetooth connection on the weekend. Got a new phone and I couldn't get my old numbers into my new phone even though I transferred my SIM card. What I was able to do was import my contact list from Gmail which was of no use to me, since I only use my phone for calling....about 4 times a month if I am going to be late or something.
    Then when I went to use my Gmail on my computer all my contacts went missing. So then I had to watch a google video and find out how to recover them. Then I had to go into contacts and then trash and recover them all. Mrs D manually added about 15 of the numbers I am most likely to call. If I had known I would be doing all that I just would of suffered with the old phone.

Did you move from an older Apple phone to a newer one? I did that a few months ago and was astounded how easy they made it. The two devices seemed to talk to each other and hey presto, the new one was set up just like the old one.

Or did you go for the Android one?

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Brought my lightning cable with me to listen to the B&O stereo. B&O should be ashamed of themselves putting their stamp on the Bronco’s stereo. Perhaps because of the Bronco’s design, B&O couldn’t acoustically do what they needed to do. But, for a premium stereo manufacturer, it’s an embarrassment in the Bronco.

Wait, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad is now making stereos?
    You do know that's a cut and paste from graphicguy, I hope. driver is happy with a 4" mono speaker.
    Bang & Olufsen is a Danish high end audio manufacturer that unfortunately puts their name on some underwhelming automotive systems.
    I know about Bang and Olufsen, my only real experience with them is that they are the speakers on my laptop and I am not overly impressed by them.

That being said my post was a joke, you're supposed to laugh.
    Careful, these audiophiles take their sound seriously. It would be interesting to lock them in my cargo van with the blown out staticky speakers and watch their ears explode. :s
    I resemble that remark. Speaking of which, I just finished rehabbing a HEATHKIT Stereo receiver 1970s vintage. New lights, removed old capacitors and replaced with new. Cleaned and lubed all dials an potentiometer. Real wood case that cleaned up nicely with lemon Pledge. Works like new.

Found it at a flea market just north of me. It’s been sitting, staring at me from my closet of unused audio gear I’ve accumulated over the years.

Not sure what I’m going to do with it. Wish HEATHKIT was still in business. I used to love their electronics kits. For the initiated, HEATHKIT was a company who would sell you everything you needed in kit form to assemble audio gear. I would spend days assembling some of their kits when I was a teen. Had many burned fingers/hand from an errant solder drop or mishandled soldering iron.
    Back in the 70’s I worked with two guys that built a 25 inch color Heathkit CRT TV. IIRC it was a Zenith design in kit form. I remember it had a pretty nice picture. If I didn’t have a nice 25 inch RCA console color TV, I would have built one too.

jmonroe
    I remember that the Heathkit dealers would test each circuit board for you as you completed it so there would hopefully be no issues when the TV was assembled.
    How about this:

One of my fellow workers was so afraid of having a board act up he actually tested each resistor and capacitor to, not only see if they were good, but also if they were within the stated tolerance marked on those components. Needless to say my other buddy was watching his TV while this scaredy cat was still testing components. We never did let him forget about that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

@abacomike

God help us all!!! 🤪😜🤓
    Technical prowess is not one of my fortes, and I am convinced it’s not yours either. But thanks for the offer, but promise me you’ll stay away from my car, please! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

No bueno.
    Hopefully I’m wrong. Is it a top control unit like mine was?

Pay attention in the morning. If the clean light is on the cycle is completing. Mine was not doing that as the first symptom. Then it needed power cycling, and finally death.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

No bueno.
    Hopefully I’m wrong. Is it a top control unit like mine was?

Pay attention in the morning. If the clean light is on the cycle is completing. Mine was not doing that as the first symptom. Then it needed power cycling, and finally death.
    Yeah, top control.

I've run it again since the failure, and I believe it completed the cycle and gave me the green light to signify that it was done.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    benjaminh said:

Overall impressions....

https://www.louisvillebmw.com/new-Jefferson+County-2021-BMW-3+Series-330i+xDrive-3MW5R7J09M8B87976

No M Sport, no H-K, and saddled with AWD.
    Yawn.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Did you move from an older Apple phone to a newer one? I did that a few months ago and was astounded how easy they made it. The two devices seemed to talk to each other and hey presto, the new one was set up just like the old one.

Or did you go for the Android one?
    Android....it is a Samsung. I think the problem is that somehow I agreed to share google with my other devices....so the transfer had to go through my google account. I should have put the sharing ability on hold, changed the SIM, then gone back to sharing.

• Options
    Michaell said:

I’m surprised no one hasn’t commented on this already.

You should NEVER arbitrarily replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker. This is akin to putting a penny in a fuse box. If you had a 15 amp breaker it was probably because that circuit was wired with #14 gauge copper wire. If somehow the circuit was wired with #12 gauge copper wire (which is good for 20 amps), then the circuit breaker was undersized for the wire by using a 15 amp breaker. This is the safe way to go but why wire for 20 amps then use a 15 amp breaker? This is almost never done. I could tell you when this is acceptable but does anyone really want to know this?

If I were you I’d have a knowledgeable person check to see what wire size is used for the circuit in question. If that electrician oversized the breaker (in this case using a 20 amp breaker when a 15 amp breaker should be used), I’d NEVER use that electrician again.

Now having said all that, if a dishwasher is operating properly it will NEVER pop a 15 amp breaker nor would it even pop a 10 amp breaker for that matter.

So @jmonroe, what are you saying here? I hate to say it but if your dishwasher is popping a good breaker the dishwasher is more than likely going bad. Not to worry, we need a dishwasher story in here again.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    bwia said:

Prince is dead but his hit song little Red Corvette will live on forever in my memory. I actually met Prince in 1975 at an MPLS night club. He was a serious musician even back then.

May he RIP 

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

You were teens but the stove was built that way to keep the dials away from little kids......though some would climb up there and get at the dials anyway I am sure.
    You have no idea how much it bugs me to say this but you are right. :@ However, the design also takes into account that front mounted controls would get bumped constantly when moving pots and pans onto and off of the burners. Also the controls would get splashed more often since the front burners are used more often.

In short, the range top was designed correctly.

jmonroe
  • Options
    JM, probably a dumb question but want to make sure I understand this correctly, but the only difference between a 15 and 20 amp breaker is the point where it will trip (I assume resistance built it), right?

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

You have no idea how much it bugs me to say this but you are right. :@ However, the design also takes into account that front mounted controls would get bumped constantly when moving pots and pans onto and off of the burners. Also the controls would get splashed more often since the front burners are used more often.

jmonroe
    Yep as long as you don't care about having to reach over hot plates that might be boiling hot and putting off steam or splattering hot grease all over, or the risk of burns or catching clothing on fire from heating elements.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

I’m surprised no one hasn’t commented on this already.

You should NEVER arbitrarily replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker. This is akin to putting a penny in a fuse box. If you had a 15 amp breaker it was probably because that circuit was wired with #14 gauge copper wire. If somehow the circuit was wired with #12 gauge copper wire (which is good for 20 amps), then the circuit breaker was undersized for the wire by using a 15 amp breaker. This is the safe way to go but why wire for 20 amps then use a 15 amp breaker? This is almost never done. I could tell you when this is acceptable but does anyone really want to know this?

If I were you I’d have a knowledgeable person check to see what wire size is used for the circuit in question. If that electrician oversized the breaker (in this case using a 20 amp breaker when a 15 amp breaker should be used), I’d NEVER use that electrician again.

Now having said all that, if a dishwasher is operating properly it will NEVER pop a 15 amp breaker nor would it even pop a 10 amp breaker for that matter.

So @jmonroe, what are you saying here? I hate to say it but if your dishwasher is popping a good breaker the dishwasher is more than likely going bad. Not to worry, we need a dishwasher story in here again.

jmonroe
    Interesting. We are the second owners of the house, and have no idea what they did with the electrical system.

Depending on whether or not we have issues going forward, I may bring in a master electrician to perform a comprehensive review of all the wiring and other components.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguy said:

JM, probably a dumb question but want to make sure I understand this correctly, but the only difference between a 15 and 20 amp breaker is the point where it will trip (I assume resistance built it), right?

A circuit breaker is designed to trip when the current drawn by the circuit exceeds the rating of the breaker. Resistance is NOT built into the breaker.

The breaker trips due to flexing of a piece of metal in the breaker that gets hot and breaks contact between two contacts within the breaker when the current rating of the breaker is exceeded. Usually by the time you go to the panel to reset the breaker this piece of metal that got hot has cooled sufficiently which allows you to reset the breaker.

Where resistance enters into this is in the circuit. As resistance goes down current goes up. A short circuit is a good example of this. When current goes up more power (watts) are consumed and more heat is produced. So, in the end it’s ultimately the heat that makes the circuit breaker trip.

jmonroe
  • Options

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

jmonroe
    Yep as long as you don't care about having to reach over hot plates that might be boiling hot and putting off steam or splattering hot grease all over, or the risk of burns or catching clothing on fire from heating elements.
    Most people learn not to do what you described. Not too many people put their hands into a fan blade more than once.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

jmonroe
    Most people learn not to do what you described. Not too many people put their hands into a fan blade more than once.

jmonroe
    You mean people learn not to reach over the cooking food to access the controls in the back? Makes it kind of hard to cook then. Having the controls in the back means that you will have to reach over the heating elements and the cooking food at some point during the cooking process, if not for adjusting the heat then turning it off.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

bwia said:

Speaking of EVs, Genesis has revealed its Electrified G80. It may not set the EV market on fire but one of its redeming virtues is the reported zero to 60 in under five seconds. Enjoy.

Nice looking car....great color too. How much?

@driver100 said: Nice looking car....great color too. How much?

Prices are not yet announced but it is expected to cost approximately $63,000+ before tax credits. The Electrified G80's estimated range is 300+ miles. And according to Genesis, the Electrified G80 can reach 80 percent charge capacity in 22 minutes and accelerate to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds.
  • Options

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    You mean people learn not to reach over the cooking food to access the controls in the back? Makes it kind of hard to cook then. Having the controls in the back means that you will have to reach over the heating elements and the cooking food at some point during the cooking process, if not for adjusting the heat then turning it off.
    Maybe it’s because I grew up with a range top like in that pic. So we all knew how to use that cook top. It seems that electric ranges have the controls in the back and gas ranges have the controls in the front. I don’t know this for a fact but it seems like with gas since you have an open flame it is easier to catch clothing on fire and get burns by reaching over the open flame.

We have always had electric ranges so we are used to it. The only times we had gas was in the apartment we lived in for two years after we were married and when we bought our second house. Neither Mrs. j or I could get used to gas since we had electric for 20 years in our first house. Therefore, that gas range was replaced within a few months with an electric job.

Interestingly, gas is much more popular than electric today so that is what we install in our flip houses. Wouldn’t even think of installing electric.

Jmonroe