Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lease Questions - Ask Here

Comments

• mnjoemnjoe Member Posts: 36
    thanks. Haven't had a chance to ask dealer yet.
  • cadub49ercadub49er Member Posts: 42
    Hi Car_Man

In SoCal -- an auto broker sought out an FX35 AWD w/ Navi for me and came up with 39 month deal $950 down, $553 incl. taxes (7.75%). Based upon $43K MSRP. What else should I ask him re: deal and does it sound reasonable right off the bat? Is it right to assume that being in SoCal are we jacked up a little more than some other areas?
    Thanks for your advice
  • cadub49ercadub49er Member Posts: 42
    Car_man, it is also 15K miles per year. Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello Beth. If you have enjoyed leasing your X-Type, you may want to consider leasing a Pre-Owned one this month. I do not personally keep very close tabs on the used vehicle lease market, but I recently heard that Jaguar is running a special lease with an unbelievably low monthly payment of something like $199 per month on used X-Types. Just some food for thought.

You're right, of the two vehicles that you mentioned, the X-Type 3.0 and the new Audi A4, I personally like the Audi. Even though there is a ton of dealer cash on the Jag, I suspect that the Audi is actually less expensive to lease right now because its residual values are so much stronger. Let's run some numbers and see if that is indeed the case. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sedan with an MSRP of $38,265 and a selling price of $34,000 through Jaguar Credit right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $541. If you were to lease a 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T Sedan with quattro with an MSRP of $34,620 and a selling price of $34,280 through Audi Financial Services right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $468. As you can see, the A4 is the better deal at this time.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    You're welcome jmjinnj. I will calculate a sample lease payment on this car for you so that you can compare it to the one that you were quoted by the dealer that you are working with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2005 Audi A8 Long Wheel Base with an MSRP of $75,570 and a selling price of $74,439 through Audi Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $995. The lease payment that you were quoted is even better than this, so it looks good. The monthly payment for an otherwise identical lease of an A8 without any options (MSRP: $70,800 / selling price: $69,800) would drop to around $934.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hey andy2812. I believe that I already replied to your original post with questions about leasing an Infiniti G35 and Nissan Maxima. Let me know if you can't find my response and I will try to find it.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hey bmw4me2. I am not personally a fan of the Buick Rendezvous' styling, but $234 per month for a two year lease of one is a heck of a deal. If you let me know how many miles per year you want to lease this model for, I would be happy to tell you what its lease program is currently like.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hi jetfan. You're right, two consecutive posts about the Buick Rendezvous is quite a coincidence. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you should expect to pay on this vehicle, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its selling price. You should be able to find out the exact selling price that you can expect to pay on the Rendezvous that you want, as you want it equipped, by visiting the GM BuyPower site and looking up its current employee purchase price. Other than the special employee purchase price, GM is not currently providing any sort of cash incentives on leases of this vehicle in June.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Ae5555, I believe that I have already responded to your original post, but let me know if you can't find my answer and I will try to find it for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum

P.S. Thanks Kirstie, it is a lot easier for me to answer questions for community members who post all of the necessary information in their most recent post. This saves me from having to flip around from message to message.
  • paulieppauliep Member Posts: 19
    The current rates and residuals for BMW X5's look pretty good, but I'm trying to decide whether to wait for an 06 model, assuming or guessing that it will have the more powerful 6 cyl. engine. What happens to money factors and residuals, in general, in the fall when model years change?
    Greetings desgnconcpts. I noticed that the GM advertisements that allow consumers to select the vehicle that they want and see its employee purchase price did initially not have the 9-7 pricing on it as well. It does now though. The GMS price is $34,474 for a base 2005 Saab 9-7X Linear and $36,233 for a base 9-7X Arc. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease money factor and residual value for a 2 year, 15,000 miles per lease of a '05 9-7X Arc are .00244 and 67%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 3 year lease should be .00244 and 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hi fsufan. General Motors' normal customer cash incentives are not compatible with leases through its captive finance company, GMAC. So while one can take advantage of the special prices that are being offered through the employee purchase program on leases this month, they cannot use the cash as well. General Motors publishes what are known in the industry as lease rates instead of the money factors that most banks use for the vehicles that it leases through GMAC. You can convert lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. If you were to lease a 2005 Buick Rendevous Ultra AWD through GMAC right now in your area for 3 years with 12,000 miles per, its base lease rate and residual value should be 4.0% and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 3 year lease should be 4.0% and 60%. If you were to lease a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4X4 through GMAC right now for 2 years with 12,000 miles per, its base lease rate and residual value should be 6.5% and 64%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 3 year lease should be 6.5% and 57%.

Saab Financial Services Corp. uses the more traditional money factors for leases. Its base lease money factor and residual value for a 2 year, 12,000 miles per lease of a Saab 9-2X Aero are currently .00270 and 65%. The numbers for a 3 year, 12k lease of this car should be .00215 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    You're welcome, sierrasonic. Congratulations on your new M-Class. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    I'm not sure if I've answered this one already, so here you go, bp714. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Infiniti M35 AWD Sedan with an MSRP of $50,940 and a selling price of $48,959 through Infiniti Financial Services right now for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $628. With this deal, at lease signing you would have to pay your car's first month's payment, a security deposit of around $650, IFS' base acquisition fee of $550, and any required state taxes or fees. As you can see, the payment that you were quoted is way too high.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hi dcferro. It would be helpful if you were able to provide me with an approximate selling price for the Murano that you are interested in. For now I will assume that you are able to get it for $750 over dealer invoice. For feedback on how much other community members have paid for this vehicle lately, you should stop by the following discussion: "Nissan Murano: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". OK, so if I understand your posts correctly, the Murano that you are interested in has an MSRP of $34,140 and an invoice price of $29,962. $750 over invoice comes to a capitalized cost of $30,712. Using these numbers, I estimate that if you were to lease this 2005 Murano SL AWD through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would bea round $333.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    No problem, mgz2400. SFSC's 12,000 miles per year residual values are 1% higher than its 15,000 miles per year residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    You're welcome Cark. I think that you made a wise choice. I;m not personally a very big fan of the Explorer SportTrac. As I probably mentioned to you last month, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. Its current base lease rate and residual value for a 3 year, 15,000 miles per lease of a 2005 Explorer XLT 4WD in your area should be 2.0% and 43%, respectively. This lease program may be combined with a whopping $5,000 lease cash.

Lexus is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the all new 2006 GS 300. As a result, if you were to lease one through its captive finance company, Lexus Financial Services, at this time you would have to use its standard lease money factors. The last time that I saw it, LFS' base standard factor for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier and pay a security deposit was around .00245. LFS' current 3 year, 15,000 miles per residual value for an '06 GS 300 2WD should be 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Thanks rprcar. You're right, it definitely takes a lot of time to reply to all of these posts. The lease money factor and residual value that you mentioned for the Honda Pilot ES-L are correct. I would be happy to double check the payment that you mentioned for the EX-L for you, but I am not sure what this truck's MSRP and selling price are. You mentioned "2005 Pilot EX-L $29,588.85 / 59% residual" in your post, which one was this? Let me know and tell me the other and I will work up a payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Hey hbomber. Mazda Credit's current national base money factor and residual value for a lease of a 2005 Mazda3s 4-door should be .00056 and 49%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $18,565 and a selling price of $16,900, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $232. Something does not seem quite right about the payment that you were quoted, even after taking tax into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Here is the information that you are looking for, Steve. If you were to lease a 2005 Honda Civic LX Sedan through American Honda Finance Corp. right now for 3 years with 12,000 miles per, its base lease money factor and residual value should be .00136 and 56%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, don't forget about the dealer cash that Honda is providing on it this month. The exact amount that dealers receive will vary depending upon the number of Civics that they sell, but most dealers will get in the area of $450 per unit.

If you were to lease a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (this car's lease program varies by trim level, let me know if you are interested in a different version) through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base money factor and residual value should be .00134 and 57%. Nissan is providing $750 lease cash on this car this month. This money will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
    Pauliep, the dealers that you spoke with were correct. All of the money factors that I provide community members with in this discussion assume that they are paying a security deposit and acquisition fee on their leases. Most banks, including BMW FS, will waive their security deposit requirements in exchange for a slight increase in the money factor that is used to calculate a vehicle's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • jfrederickjfrederick Member Posts: 1
    My lease is up in three months on my 525i. It will be well below the milage limit, and there is very little body damage. The residual value is 20,000. I worry that at turn in time I'll be charged for tires(I have 4mm tread right now), as well as turn in fee(350$). The true market value is 22500, and even the trade in is 20,500. Should I not buy the car rather than pay any extar fees at turn in. Then, I could either sell it myself, or use as a trade in. help!
    You mentioned a very low selling price for this truck, chridennshan. Where are you getting the $2,500 lease cash from? GM was providing lease cash on this truck in May, but it is not providing any that I am aware of in June. The only offer that I have seen on the 2005 GMC Yukon Denali is the ability for normal consumers to purchase it at GM's employee purchase price. Perhaps GM is providing special incentives on this truck in the Detroit area.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper Forum
  • jimmrjimmr Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know the residual value % according to AHFC of the 2005 Honda Element after a 3 yr., 12,000/yr. mile lease on the models below?
    LX 2WD A.T.
    LX 4WD A.T.

I plan on going to the dealer this weekend, if I get one I'll post all the specifics here.
  • bittersweetbittersweet Member Posts: 2
    CarMan,
    Interested in your thoughts, if you have had a chance to look, on the Mercedes E350 lease special that began in June. Based on your previous comments, I know you are not in favour of the cap cost. Is this negotiable on these new lease deals? I also wonder what impact there would be in increasing the mileage to 12K or 15K per year? Is the optional equipment on the E350 lease special pretty much varied by dealer, based on their inventory? I believe they are quoting $579/mo, with $2900 cap cost, 39 month lease, $795 acquisition fee, 32,500 miles, no sec deposit.
    Many Thanks
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 61
    Let's go with a selling price of 30K. I'm not sure GM will let you use the 3K rebate if you lease. In NJ, what should my payment be on a 36month lease, 12K a year with 1k inception fees ( 1st payment and all fees included to drive the car off the lot). Thanks alot.
  • desgnconcptsdesgnconcpts Member Posts: 53
    Dear Car_Man,

I noticed the same thing on the GM site (orig no GMS price for the 9-7x).
    Thank you for the money factor/residual numbers for 24mos/30K mile & 36mos/45K mi.

I would like to compare this with the standard 24mos/24K mile & 36mos/36K mi MF & Residual.

I noticed you said in an earlier message that a 2 year lease is the real bargain for most cars -- am I correct in this? Here in IL, we must pay tax on entire cost, does this change you mind? I know this forum is very busy -- I definitely appreciate your help. Are there any other costs for SAAB lease that I'm missing? I'm looking for $0 down, pay only 1st mo payment at inception -- the least out of pocket cash possible.

Best Regards,
    Desgnconcpts
  • carhelp4carhelp4 Member Posts: 1
    I just signed a contract (yesterday) for a 2005 New Ford Explorer Sport Trac with 23 payments and a buy out on the 24th payment. I realized after driving off that the vehicle that I negotiated to buy (never saw the truck, but have a copy of the invoice - VIN # excluded), was not actually the same vehicle (this one came with leather) and when I challenged the buy out difference was told that the manager made a calculation mistake. So basically, the buyout was increased because of the leather package unbeknownst to me. Also, this vehicle lists on the contract as new but had 123 miles on it (not shown on the contract). Do I have any recourse since it was driven off of the lot?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
  • dan_mandan_man Member Posts: 2
    My dad has been generous enough to lease me a new BMW M3 as a company car, and have been looking at several at a local dealer (Md). We agreed upon a lease payment for $750/ mo. for 42 months /12k mi/yr (Sticker approx $66k, invoice $58k) with $7k down (including taxes, $11k) . So credit isn't great for either, but company's is doing just fine. So when dad signs credit check form, they look at his first, and see that it's not too great and say it would be best to go with company's alone. We hear from them the next day (today) that credit check passes but now they want an additional $12k down payment for total of $25k!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: We are now definitely thinking of another dealer since this is outrageous, but wanted thoughts on what to do with these people before speaking with them tomorrow morning. :confuse:

Thanks a lot
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    One would have to be INSANE to make a down payment of $7,000 on a lease. If one were to make a $19,000 down payment on a lease then that person should be institutionalized! :sick:

Never make a down payment on a lease; that money disappears if for some reason the car is totaled or stolen prior to lease termination.

How about buying a different car? Maybe what all these numbers are telling you is that you are getting ready to get in over your head with a $66,000 car! Buy a cheaper car; in the long run you will be happier! :shades:
  • dan_mandan_man Member Posts: 2
    ksccts,
    The $7k was to keep the monthly payments where they could be easily afforded, and it will be a garage queen for sure so no biggie there. I was wondering more along the lines of wtf this dealer is trying to pull asking for $25k down (trying to take great advantage of not-so-great personal credit I'm assuming) and if anyone had advice on what to do about negotiating this rediculous price down, besides the obvious looking somewhere else (which is what I am leaning towards now)... :mad: :confuse:
  • bmw4me2bmw4me2 Member Posts: 55
    Hey Car_Man!
    Thanks for your reply. The annual mileage I was quoted was 12,000. The price of $234 does seem very good. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I may do something in the next week. Thanks again.
  • kkonzkkonz Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man,

First off, I've lurked on many a forum and I don't remember ever seeing a host / moderator as conscientious and dilligent as Car_Man. I feel guilty about asking this question because you've got to be busy answering everyone elses!! Thanks for all the work.

Now down to the question. What should the 36 and 48 month residual be on a 2005 Boxster and Boxster S. I'm thinking of finally getting one (I't s been a long time coming) and the local dealer is pushing a balloon option. I don't have/remember the exact numbers that he quoted but the residual seemed very low for that car and he stated time and again that that number could not be changed. Thanks Again!!
  • rotwein1rotwein1 Member Posts: 4
    How is the Hyundai lease price figured and can the price be negotiated for their current lease. If so what is a good price for a GLS 2wd V6 auto trans?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Are you even considering putting $25K down? What does this car being a "garage queen" have to do with the $7K down on a leased vehicle? The point about putting $$ down on a leased car is you lose all the money.......a huge down payment ONLY lowers the monthly expense...it does nothing for the residual. Unless you or your Father have tons of money and it does not affect your financial situation, putting money down on a lease is not a smart financial move. It sounds like your dad's credit is not too good so i would surmise that a ton of money is not available.
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    GM is providing $2500.00 cash on a lease on GMC Yukons and Denalis... I am a GM buypower manager in Detroit area..
  • ahc1ahc1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My nissan sentra lease is coming up in 4 months.
    I'm supposed to arrange an inspection with a 3rd party to see what needs to be fixed and a cost will be assigned to the damage if I choose not to repair it. By the way, I'm in Canada, ontario, not sure if this makes a difference....

There are a few problems with my car right now:
    a) Crack on front windshield (about 1" in diameter)
    b) Side mirror (passenger side) is broken
    c) Squeaking noise heard when driving (from wheels on front passenger side). I just replaced my brake pads and brake rotors yesterday but its still making a noise (not as loud as before I fixed the breaks)..

My questions are:
    1) Should I fix these problems (all or just some) before the inspection OR should I just wait for the inspection ?
    2) If I choose to fix the mirror before the inspection, will the inspector be able to tell that the mirror has been fixed (ie. if I don't use the original nissan part or if I try to get a garage to glue the mirror back on )?
    3) Anybody know how much would the cost on my windshield if I choose not to repair it?
  • zheka212zheka212 Member Posts: 68
    Hi,

I just had my Accord inspected -- the inspector was very forgiving.
    I was told the only way to fix my dented hood was to replace it - ~$600.
    The inspector charged me $90.

Windshield will probably require replacement -- however, it the crack really is about an inch, you may be able to get a glass shop to fix it for you -- they use some compoud to mend the glass, so it is practically invisible -- tough to find these days, but when I did it last, it cost around $35 and took about 15 mins - totally worth the money. You will not be able to get a definitive yes or no on whether the repairs can be done until you bring the car in -- so you can get an estimate on getting a replacement windshield there. I would call around first, because not many glass shops do this repair these days. I think Geico actually covers windshield crack repair with no deductible, and they will point you to the nearest "service provider".

The inspector never drives your car -- they only start it. I guess it is to protect the company from accident liability. The noise you mention may come up later when you turn the car in -- no way of knowing until you return the car.

If you can get a garage to glue the mirror back so it looks / works (if it is power) "good as new" -- I doubt you will have a problem. If not, I think you should hold out and see what the inpector estimates for the repairs -- it may very well be less (as was the case with me) then if you fix it yourself, even using aftermarket parts.

Hope this helps.
  • jmjinnjjmjinnj Member Posts: 15
    Thank you Car_Man.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The GLS 2WD lease is advertised for 39 months. The residual is 48%. The money factor is .00265. There is a $2,750 lease rebate used as cap cost reduction. Security deposit is your payment rounded up to the nearest $50. There is also a $595 acquisition fee.

With just front fees due at signing, you should be around $275 plus tax for a 12,000 mile lease. Give or take a few dollars for any options. Keep in mind that they are advertising their lease on a GL model with $1,425 additional customer down payment. But on a $21,000 SUV, $275 is a pretty good deal.
  • chridennshanchridennshan Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your reply crj1. I'm glad you posted, because I have a question for you. Should the prices quoted from one dealer to the next be the same (or close) using the GM Emp discount or do some dealers have more flexibility to offer even lower prices based on their size or sales volume? If you look back at my post with the proposed lease figures (about $580 per month for a 36/36 Denali lease with the Nav/DVD/Snf package), does that seem in line?
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I think M3 fellow needs more detailed explanation why putting money down on lease is bad, as opposed to loans. He probably comes from world of loans and "low payment" objectives, which is probably the worst possible approach to acquire any property. So lets explain it plainly:
    1. If you buy $60K car and put $20K down and borrow the rest of the money, in case of totalling the car the next day, you recoup that $10K minus depreciation (Insurance pays say $59K, from which 50 goes to the bank, the rest goes to you). Thus, the full benefit of downpayment comes immediately to you in form of lower payments, lower interest charges (lower base and sometimes rate). This $20K is still yours, you just exchanged it to a different form of a depreciating property.
    2. If you do the same but lease and total your car, you may not see a penny of that $20K, because the bank takes the insurance check and then through their mambo-jumbo formulas comes to the conclusion the they owe you nothing, or say $2K, maybe $5K, just to wipe your tears. The full benefit of downpayment comes to you in full after the full lease term, not a day earlier (lower payments over the course of the contract term). You effectively handed down $20K to the bank and kissed the money good buy, since you actually have not bought the vehicle (exchanged the property).

The difference comes from assmption of the depreciation risk (ownership). In lease, since you actually rent the vehicle, you do not care

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• mapleflmaplefl Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Carman.

I'm looking to lease a 2005 VW Passat GLS 1.8 Wagon for 36 months@15,000 mi/year within the next couple of days. What are the current lease cash/dealer incentives and special interest rates offered by VW for June leases and what is your feedback on the deal noted below? FYI: I'm not a current VW customer, so I'm not eligible for the loyalty discount. The deal I've been offered so far is as follows:

2005 Passat Wagon GLS 1.8 with Automatic and Leatherette
    MSRP: $27,070
    Cap Cost: $24,255
    Money factor: .00067
    Residual: 46%
    Payment: $355.59 plus tax
    Cash at inception (including 1st month): $605

Thanks for your help!
  • kmouradiankmouradian Member Posts: 36
    Carman,

A friend of mine is interested in leasing a 2005 Cadillac CTS with the 1SB 3.8L package. He is looking for a 36 month lease @ 12k miles/yr. Does the GM employee pricing apply to leases as well as purchases?

What is the MF and residual on this car? And is there any other rebates or lease cash that GM is offering on the CTS? Thanks a bunch.
    The base payment before you state sales tak should be $548.48 plus your tax. In michigan you have 6% tax which would give you a payment of $581.39
    The money factor is 3.95%, Residual on a 3 yr is .51 plus .03 for low miles. You have a total of $2600.00 in rebates on a lease and yes you do get GMS pricing on a lease.

Chris
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    Car_man,,

If you happen to know the Mercedes SLK 350 residuals and lease terms could you post them. The 2006 prices have been posted on Mercedes website and I was hoping that the new lease terms might be available.

I plan on doing a $0 down, 36 month, 15K mile lease.

Thanks
  • kmouradiankmouradian Member Posts: 36
    crj1,

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the 12k miles per year qualifies as low miles thus getting an extra .03 on the residual. Is this correct?

And what is the acquisition fee and security deposit for the state of Florida?

Thanks!
  • ae5555ae5555 Member Posts: 15
    Car_man, thank you for your reply, i did read it :).

The only thing is do you know what the AHFS June rates and residuals are for 2005 TL WITH NAV for both 36/12 and 27/12 leases?

Thanks!
  • glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
    I am looking for the same exact vehicle. Denali shortie with Nav/Sun Pkg. I live in GA and was actually ready to purchase last month. I was given a lease payment of $610 incl tax (7% sales tax) for 48 months and 12k miles a yr. I waited until June to see what the incentives were going to be. Now the dealer is telling me that they do not have the same lease cash as last month and the lease payment is now going to be considerably higher... I would purchase the Denali in a heartbeat for the same lease price you have quoted $548.48 + sales tax for 36/36. I need some help!! Thanks. :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.