Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Enjoying my XR but about ready to get the new 12 soon. Probably best to wait until October when the next new model debuts to save a bit. Right now, not much 5G down in South Florida to be had so not rushing to do this. But figure by next January or so, I'll be more than ready. And if I can get a decent deal before, so much the better. But don't mind waiting a bit longer.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

Why old men shouldn't buy sports cars;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pCsO7hRNo

And that's why some a wising up to that torture and buy SUVs and CUVs, the best* selling vehicles in America. Still, you know what? the progressives are going one step further and get the best of both worlds by venturing into Electric SUVs, albeit at a steep price. Good call, I am right behind them.

*edit
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Back in 1968 a co worker of mine walked into the office one day carrying his briefcase. A phone started ringing and he pulled a phone out of his briefcase, cord attached, and started talking. Of course it was all fake, and we all thought it was the weirdest, funniest thing we had ever seen.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541
    henryn said:

I swear I didn't know anyone was filming when I was trying to get out of that car!!!

In the last week I have had 3 Uber rides, one ride home after dropping off the F150, another after dropping of the T&C, and a third ride to pick up the Pacifica. One Sentra, one Corolla, and one Camry. My biggest problem is not my height (6’2”), but my feet (16EEEE). Yes, the height is a problem, but trying to fit my feet through the very narrow rear door loopening on a Sentra or Corolla is NOT fun.

No, it was not as bad as that video, but it was far from pretty, and I’m glad no one was filming. Or at least I hope they weren’t.

Those ain’t feet, those are pontoons.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

I swear I didn't know anyone was filming when I was trying to get out of that car!!!

In the last week I have had 3 Uber rides, one ride home after dropping off the F150, another after dropping of the T&C, and a third ride to pick up the Pacifica. One Sentra, one Corolla, and one Camry. My biggest problem is not my height (6’2”), but my feet (16EEEE). Yes, the height is a problem, but trying to fit my feet through the very narrow rear door loopening on a Sentra or Corolla is NOT fun.

No, it was not as bad as that video, but it was far from pretty, and I’m glad no one was filming. Or at least I hope they weren’t.

jmonroe
    We are trying to have a serious discussion here. I don't think we ever discussed foot sizes before. :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    In the service we called them gun boats.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited April 2021
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    We are trying to have a serious discussion here. I don't think we ever discussed foot sizes before. :)
    And failing as usual.

Here is a picture of us trying to keep the discussion on track.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    carnaught said:

@tjc78 ….I concur….it’s NEVER a good idea to use ANY public WiFi….at malls, at airports, even when I was car shopping and I was checking on pricing, I wouldn’t use the car dealer’s WiFI. I used Cellular Data. Public places offering WiFi is as much a boon to scammers (who are just invisibly waiting for you to log on) as well as unsuspecting users….I don’t care what security measures you take.

On top of that, public WiFi is also known to be loaded with malware.

But, would probably be okay if you are on a VPN, no?

Perhaps….but that presents its own issues with some public WiFi hotspots. Still, using a VPN is better than nothing.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Speaking of strange, I’m weirdly attracted to this….

https://jalopnik.com/the-8hp-citroen-ami-is-adorable-electric-city-transport-1841962360
    GG not to loud, you might lose your membership here for liking that car. BTW which end is the front?

2022 Honda Civic revealed. Unfortunately, it is NOT an electric. Important Updates in This Video.
    A nicer interior, new technology features, and a pleasing exterior design headline the 11th-generation Civic's changes. It features the same 2.0-liter and turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engines as before. Honda says it will go on sale in the U.S. this summer.

bwia said:

2022 Honda Civic revealed. Unfortunately, it is NOT an electric. Important Updates in This Video.
    A nicer interior, new technology features, and a pleasing exterior design headline the 11th-generation Civic's changes. It features the same 2.0-liter and turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engines as before. Honda says it will go on sale in the U.S. this summer.

My understanding is that there will be no manual tranny, only a CVT. I would really have to think about that.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    Manual comes later when the Si and hatch versions are released. Not sure the current sedans still over one anyway. If so, very few sold.

Plus they get such good gas mileage, paying a hybrid premium hardly seems worth it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    And failing as usual.

Now it looks like we have trains plowing through parking garage walls. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    And failing as usual.

How about this one:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    And failing as usual.

How about this one:

"Silver Streak" with Gene Pryor and Richard Wilder, or is it the other way around? Good movie.

Here is another train through a wall.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    And failing as usual.

How about this one:

"Silver Streak" with Gene Pryor and Richard Wilder, or is it the other way around? Good movie.

Here is another train through a wall.

Dublin 1900! It seems quite a few trains crash through stations.....and cars go through parking lot walls too.
    Yes the other way around...Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, but close.
    This one happened about 10 miles from me...in 1857. People always got dressed up in those days, with top hats even....to look at a train wreck. 59 died.

Y'all may be right. I may get my Edmunds ELITE status revoked if that little Citroen ended up in the GG estate!

I wouldn't get to use any of the many benefits membership here offers me!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I remember watching a show about the early days of trains and the misfortunes that occurred. It was on the History channel or Discovery some time back. It seems there were a lot of really bad train wrecks back in the 19th century. The main cause? No standardized time. Once they started using standardized time zones in 1883, the number of train wrecks decreased dramatically.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    henryn said:

I remember watching a show about the early days of trains and the misfortunes that occurred. It was on the History channel or Discovery some time back. It seems there were a lot of really bad train wrecks back in the 19th century. The main cause? No standardized time. Once they started using standardized time zones in 1883, the number of train wrecks decreased dramatically.

Oh, so the introduction of air brakes around that time had nothing to do with it.

henryn said:

Oh, so the introduction of air brakes around that time had nothing to do with it.
    I wasn't around at that time, so I really couldn't say. But the show I watched gave credit to standardized time zones and I don't recall any mention of air brakes. Which doesn't mean that you're not right, just means I only know what I saw on that one show.
    henryn said:

henryn said:

I wasn't around at that time, so I really couldn't say. But the show I watched gave credit to standardized time zones and I don't recall any mention of air brakes. Which doesn't mean that you're not right, just means I only know what I saw on that one show.
    The standardized timezones made scheduling a lot easier. But the adaptation of air brakes made stopping a lot faster and made for safer trios since trains could stop a lot faster.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I’ve been watching the NFL Draft on TV tonight. It’s like watching a cattle suction or 4H Club auction, but with the hogs and cattle being the winners. Trade in human beings is alive and well in the USA.

Glad to see new millionaires being created right before my eyes. What a life! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    That’s not the first time that the French built a car that looked the same coming or going.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

The brakes sucked too. Westinghouse invented air brakes in the 1870s and crashes went down substantially.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    abacomike said:

I’ve been watching the NFL Draft on TV tonight. It’s like watching a cattle suction or 4H Club auction, but with the hogs and cattle being the winners. Trade in human beings is alive and well in the USA.

Glad to see new millionaires being created right before my eyes. What a life! 🤪😜🤓

Justin Fields spotted at Cubs game couple days ago. Bears trade up tonight and pick Fields at #11. :)
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2021
    Was arguing online with a "flat-earth and speed kills" myth believer, and as usual, it went down as is typical. Only I got him to admit my side of the argument without them realizing it, and delivered a very clever zinger!

When confronted with proof that speed doesn't kill namely in the form of the Autobahn in Germany (Despite my assertions that one should prove that speed kills isn't a myth, not the other way around).

The guy responded with a "Germany has half the fatality rates of the USA because they don't have bad drivers or bad roads."

:):smile::smile::smile: :laughing: :sunglasses :smile:

So I retorted "So you agree with me then, it's not speed that kills, but other factors, namely, bad roads and bad drivers :). I'm glad we finally agree on something!

BAZINGA!

Of course, rather than realizing they had lost and learning something from it, they moved the bar and the goalpost 100%, and said something absurd and desperate like "Germany needlessly kills half as many as the USA from needlessly speeding."

Of course, the reality is if we did raise every speed limit sign in America 20 MPH overnight, and in the next year fatality rates went down by 50%, the IIHS or NHTSA would still come out with a so-called study that "projects" and "estimates" 35,000 lives would have been saved had we not increased the speed limits. I recently read a report written in 2013 "projecting" "predicting" and estimating deaths that happened in 1987 and 1995 when the National Speed Limit Law was repealed and removed.

Doesn't one wonder why something written in modern times resorts to projections and estimations for something that really happened over 25 years ago? Could it be they don't like the real world data and the hard numbers?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Things are getting desperate in the car rental business. Today we went to two different states to gather enough cars to cover reservations at the airport.

Our two big lots near the airport which can hold well over a thousand cars are E-M-P-T-Y.

I’ve never seen that before.

And now I hear that Ford is cutting production by half due to chip shortages.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited April 2021

The brakes sucked too. Westinghouse invented air brakes in the 1870s and crashes went down substantially.

Boiler standards were reviewed and made more stringent in that era as well. Even today the few remaining operating steam locomotives have to meet those requirements to help avoid explosions or other accidents.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    OF50, ditto down here. Our big lot in North Miami and or Palm Beach county are locked due to having nothing in them! In all my years in this business, have never seen things this bad. We've been doing 8 hour days lately and some have even done around 7 while on a couple of Fridays, some folks were being granted leave as we were just sitting around. Between the covid and the chip shortage, there's nothing to rent so some folks are being immediate leave on the same day. Crazy stuff going on with no end in sight. And I'm betting these chip makers are working as fast as they can but there's only so much they can do. This covid is effecting every day life in ways we've never dreamed but hopeful that the worst is behind us. All we can do is hold on for the ride

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Had the classic chicken sandwich at KFC again today for lunch and was quite happy with it, it was that good! Popeye's better be looking over it's shoulder's as KFC's tastes about as good as theirs, honestly, it is that good!! I'd encourage y'all to get over to both places and taste them. The sandwich at Chick-Fil-A just doesn't is o k but these other two guys have them beat, by a large margin. I look forward to getting either one of them more than I ever thought and just guessing the word hasn't gotten out bout how good KFC's sandwich really is!! I'm not a real "foodie" kind of guy to be honest, ever since I got sick a couple years ago with those nasty gallstones, and since then, food is just nourushment(?) for me really, but these two sandwich's are just outstanding in every sense of the word folks!!
    Hell, we've discussed almost everything in here, so might as well give this one a shot. But trust me, y'all gotta try both of these and see for yourselves!!!

Had the classic chicken sandwich at KFC again today for lunch and was quite happy with it, it was that good! Popeye's better be looking over it's shoulder's as KFC's tastes about as good as theirs, honestly, it is that good!! I'd encourage y'all to get over to both places and taste them. The sandwich at Chick-Fil-A just doesn't is o k but these other two guys have them beat, by a large margin. I look forward to getting either one of them more than I ever thought and just guessing the word hasn't gotten out bout how good KFC's sandwich really is!! I'm not a real "foodie" kind of guy to be honest, ever since I got sick a couple years ago with those nasty gallstones, and since then, food is just nourushment(?) for me really, but these two sandwich's are just outstanding in every sense of the word folks!!
    Hell, we've discussed almost everything in here, so might as well give this one a shot. But trust me, y'all gotta try both of these and see for yourselves!!!

Sounds yummy, but how is the salt content? And by adding condiments make a palatable sandwich even worse. When I was younger I didn't mind the high salt content but today I just can't ingest this stuff. Perhaps they should offer two versions: normal and low salt---and hold the sauces ketchup.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    bwia said:

Sounds yummy, but how is the salt content? And by adding condiments make a palatable sandwich even worse. When I was younger I didn't mind the high salt content but today I just can't ingest this stuff. Perhaps they should offer two versions: normal and low salt---and hold the sauces ketchup.
    You can get half of your "Daily Value" of sodium in one chicken sandwich. Bare I would think.

The only thing I put salt on is french fries. The food actually tastes like it should instead of tasting like salt although there are almost violent disagreements. :D

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

KFC Chicken Classic;

Serving Size 1 sandwich
    Calories 650
    Calories From Fat 315
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 35g 54%
    Saturated Fat 4.5g 23%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 90mg 30%
    Sodium 1260mg 53%

Difficult to keep salt below 2200 mgs per day when one food item contains 53% of your daily limit.
    But, probably won't kill you if you do it once a week!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Things are getting desperate in the car rental business. Today we went to two different states to gather enough cars to cover reservations at the airport.

Our two big lots near the airport which can hold well over a thousand cars are E-M-P-T-Y.

I'm renting a car at PIE through National, next week (St.Pete/Clearwater). Booked it about three weeks ago. I usually check the "last minute deals" or, get a $20 coupon, and re-book a few days before.

When I checked it this time.. ZERO cars available for next Friday. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I'm renting a car at PIE through National, next week (St.Pete/Clearwater). Booked it about three weeks ago. I usually check the "last minute deals" or, get a $20 coupon, and re-book a few days before.

When I checked it this time.. ZERO cars available for next Friday. :s
    Advantage and Hertz went under......Hertz had about 200000 cars.
    Rental companies get big discounts on new cars...but with the shortage of cars car makers want to sell their cars to regular buyers.
    People are keeping rental cars longer and they are staying somewhere else.
    The one not mentioned which is my own guess - car rental companies off loaded cars during early covid when renters were scarce.....to reduce debt.
    Advice.....rent very early like kyfdx, one week ahead isn't enough.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

henryn said:

Derailments were also huge problem then, due to poor steel quality. It took the steel industry a few good years to perfect the alloys that were suitable for rails.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited April 2021
    andres3 said:

Doesn't one wonder why something written in modern times resorts to projections and estimations for something that really happened over 25 years ago? Could it be they don't like the real world data and the hard numbers?

Speaking of real world data and hard numbers could you explain how the Autobahn has a higher fatality rate on the sections with no speed limit than it does on sections with speed limits given your belief that going faster is not more dangerous.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    As a follow up to replacing two tires on the Q5 I did confirm with Audi service that if the older tires are within 4/32 of the new and the tires match on each axle then no issue. As a safeguard I went ahead and ordered two more tires so all four will be new and match. My wallet is $1000 lighter but I believe well spent.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Here we have Portellos that has great chicken sandwich with I like over the above mentioned sandwiches.

sda said:

As a follow up to replacing two tires on the Q5 I did confirm with Audi service that if the older tires are within 4/32 of the new and the tires match on each axle then no issue. As a safeguard I went ahead and ordered two more tires so all four will be new and match. My wallet is $1000 lighter but I believe well spent.

I kind of like the old days - when you got a flat you just replaced one tire, or even better put the full size spare on and bought a new spare tire.

venture said:

bwia said:

You can get half of your "Daily Value" of sodium in one chicken sandwich. Bare I would think.

The only thing I put salt on is french fries. The food actually tastes like it should instead of tasting like salt although there are almost violent disagreements. :D
    Putting a little salt on food prior to cooking can enhance flavors, putting salt pn food after its cooked only makes it salty. I never put salt on food after it's cooked.

These days I use salt on grapefruit and popcorn, the rest I leave alone. Except for black pepper, I use quite a bit of that.

I grew up eating watermelon with salt. And we ate a lot of watermelon, my grandfather had a truck farm and grew watermelon along with many other things. Which reminds of another food that I ate a lot of with salt -- tomatoes.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Hertz went BK but is still out there doing plenty of business - I think all of the HLEs and traditional corporate customers will keep it going. I rented from Hertz at Christmas, as things were more cautious then in terms of travel, there was plenty to choose from.

I always reserve at least a month in advance, sometimes more if there's a good prepay promo, which Sixt sometimes offers, or did in the past anyway. Gotta be a rough position having offloaded so many cars, many of which simply can't be replaced now. Can't wait to see what my rental experience is like this coming Christmas.
    driver100 said:

Advantage and Hertz went under......Hertz had about 200000 cars.
    Rental companies get big discounts on new cars...but with the shortage of cars car makers want to sell their cars to regular buyers.
    People are keeping rental cars longer and they are staying somewhere else.
    The one not mentioned which is my own guess - car rental companies off loaded cars during early covid when renters were scarce.....to reduce debt.
    Advice.....rent very early like kyfdx, one week ahead isn't enough.

I’m using an HLE location next week to rent a van to move my daughter. Hopefully they are still open when I get there!

We have Uber selling rides in private automobiles. We have AirBNB renting out private homes. Perhaps we will see some outfit renting out private automobiles? I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking about it and working on it.
    henryn said:

We have Uber selling rides in private automobiles. We have AirBNB renting out private homes. Perhaps we will see some outfit renting out private automobiles? I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking about it and working on it.

They exist, not only for cars but for motorcycles too.

That they do. I would never do this. I got approved to be an Uber driver but didn’t want strangers riding in my car. No way in heck I would let one drive it, even if was was riding along! Just handing them the keys, never.

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states

henryn said:

These days I use salt on grapefruit and popcorn, the rest I leave alone. Except for black pepper, I use quite a bit of that.

I grew up eating watermelon with salt. And we ate a lot of watermelon, my grandfather had a truck farm and grew watermelon along with many other things. Which reminds of another food that I ate a lot of with salt -- tomatoes.

If your sodium level is high you can use No Salt which is potassium chloride (not exactly the same but you get used to it). I did that but then my Potassium level went up to just over the recommended limit, so now I use Half Salt.......the other half is potassium chloride, that way I don't get too much of either one.