Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

I was driving around in rural Indiana today and was surprised to see this sign for the "Smiling Irishman" car salesman's lot now being used seemingly as a yard decoration by someone. Maybe the retired Smiling Irishman himself? The sign had some very old cars parked under it that were from the early 1950s. I should have taken a picture, but here's this old ad I found on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNDWY2Xqic

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923
    edited May 2021

@benjaminh said:
    A friend of mine picked up a good deal on a 2018 Lincoln MKZ with only 2000 miles at an estate sale. Original msrp 48k, but they only asked 20k for it. My friend sold his old 2002 Lexus ES to Carmax for 7500, and is now driving around this bright red car that is almost identical to this pic from wikipedia.

I like the MKZ. In all honesty very similar to a Lexus ES. You can get some pretty nice powertrains too. Nice sleeper.

I never really tried to see what kind of lease you could get on one. I’m thinking residuals would be laughable.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

@stickguy said:
    I think the old $1k cars are now $2,000-2,500 (runs but ugly) and the old $5k units (decent shape, higher miles maybe but overall solid basic transportation) now push $10k.

My $2000 Cobalt that used to be a $1000 Cobalt is now a $3295 Cobalt at a local dealer
    for an older model than my 2008.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,433

@Michaell said:

@stickguy said:
    For $9/hour, forget the drug test. Just check for a pulse.

I hope you at least get some tips too!

Different economy in FL.

We pay our part time high schoolers at the cooking studio $13/hr.

What does that net down to after all is said & done?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,360

@benjaminh said:
    I was driving around in rural Indiana today and was surprised to see this sign for the "Smiling Irishman" car salesman's lot now being used seemingly as a yard decoration by someone. Maybe the retired Smiling Irishman himself? The sign had some very old cars parked under it that were from the early 1950s. I should have taken a picture, but here's this old ad I found on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FNDWY2Xqic

I believe he passed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

@28firefighter said:
    My wrangler will be delivered to the dealer between 5/12 and 5/26. Pretty good timing.

Awesome. Can’t wait to hear your impressions.

Hope your dad is doing well. How much longer will you be babysitting the Touring?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

@nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

@stickguy said:

Different economy in FL.

I suppose it would depend on the employees choices for tax withholdings.

Minimum wage in Colorado is $12.32.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited May 2021

@henryn said:
    Could someone remind me of how to change the "cars owned" that shows at the bottom of my posts?

If you click on your avatar at the top of the right menu bar, it will bring up a small set of options. Click on "Edit Profile."

Once there, and again on the right side, click on "Signature Settings." You can then make the changes you need and save it.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795

@benjaminh said:

Cracks me up when he says "smiling Irishman." It almost sounds like "smelling Irishman." Ew.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

@xwesx said:

@henryn said:
    Could someone remind me of how to change the "cars owned" that shows at the bottom of my posts?

If you click on your avatar at the top of the right menu bar, it will bring up a small set of options. Click on "Edit Profile."

Once there, and again on the right side, click on "Signature Settings." You can then make the changes you need and save it.

Thank you. "Signature Settings" was the part I was missing.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited May 2021

@benjaminh said:
    A friend of mine picked up a good deal on a 2018 Lincoln MKZ with only 2000 miles at an estate sale. Original msrp 48k, but they only asked 20k for it. My friend sold his old 2002 Lexus ES to Carmax for 7500, and is now driving around this bright red car that is almost identical to this pic from wikipedia.

That is a great price but would not be a fan of the turbo 4. Besides worrying about long term reliability the 7.5 sec 0-60 time would disappoint. Probably requires premium gas too which is getting very pricey. Of course if it has the 400HP turbo V-6 that would make it an unbelievable deal.

@28firefighter said:
    My wrangler will be delivered to the dealer between 5/12 and 5/26. Pretty good timing.

I’ve been driving my TJ quite a bit lately. My local Jeep dealer has a used JL Rubicon that has a nice set of aftermarket bumpers. It’s even a two door. If I didn’t want to replace the M235i I’d be tempted.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@greg128 said:

@benjaminh said:

That is a great price but would not be a fan of the turbo 4. Besides worrying about long term reliability the 7.5 sec 0-60 time would disappoint. Probably requires premium gas too which is getting very pricey. Of course if it has the 400HP turbo V-6 that would make it an unbelievable deal.

The turbo four and the premium fuel requirements wouldn’t be a cause for concern. The glacial acceleration on the other hand...

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    edited May 2021

@henryn said:

It’s a mystery like what’s buried on Oak Island. Somehow I blundered the correct buttons for listings under my posts but I still can’t get rid of my PT Cruiser in my profile. I’ve followed directions offered by members and hosts but I must be too dumb.

I just tried it again and it says I don’t have permission to do that. ?????

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@benjaminh said:

@breld said:
    A minivan has been brought up once or twice in my wife's and my conversations. Yes, it would certainly be best at meeting all the functional needs we have in mind, but c'mon, we still want to take the opportunity to put something in the garage that we can actually get excited about.

When the kids were younger and were all at home on a more consistent basis, we did have about 6 years of minivan ownership between the Odyssey and Sedona, so we absolutely recognize the benefits. Those sliding doors and ease of getting in and out of the 3rd row were amazing when we were running around with 4 kids, including one with special needs.

Starting at about 8 minutes and 30 seconds one of the guys at savagegeese floors in in their Odyssey tester. Since it has a vtec V-6 it actually performs pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H70umBFOtSg&t=640s

If you floor the Chrysler Pacifica like that you’d burn the rubber off one tire. Their 3.6L is a torque monster.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@benjaminh said:

Man, I would wrestle grandma herself to get a low mile beauty like that.

@Michaell said:

@nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

@stickguy said:

Different economy in FL.

I suppose it would depend on the employees choices for tax withholdings.

Minimum wage in Colorado is $12.32.

Here in NY minimum wage is either $12.50 or $15 depending on how your region votes.

I feel like we might be in for some tough times here at CCBA when it comes to new purchases because of the high prices for new and used cars.

@benjaminh said:
    I feel like we might be in for some tough times here at CCBA when it comes to new purchases because of the high prices for new and used cars.

And lack of inventory.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971

Think I mentioned about that shuttle drivers gig at the local Toyota dealer. Turned it down the first time as the days were an issue. Had second thoughts and called back on Friday and had my interview on Monday morning. Got a voicemail that afternoon about the new three day schedule and to find out when could I come in to meet the big boss. About dinner time, after having agonized over it for days now, I texted the hiring guy that I really appreciate the invite but working 6 days a week is more than I want to do right now. Thanked him for considering me and said, if y'all ever want a river for just 2 days a week, the afternoons, please give me a holler and I'll do it. Funny thing is I've been trying for years to get a shuttle drive job at one of the dealers right near the house and now that it's finally happened, I turn it down. Bummer really but I don't ant to push my body as I know my limitations.
    Go for breakfast Tuesday before work and get a text! Two days a week is doable so please come in today to meet the big guy and schedule the urine test! Text back that I'm working the next couple of days but can come by Thursday after my 3 PM dental appointment, so that's where we stand now. Saturday and Monday afternoons from 12:30 to 6 but won't be surprised if they ask me to start around 11 which would work. Still have Thursday and Sunday as my n/s days so I can do the things I need to, and rest up a bit. So, we'll see how this works out but think it's totally doable. Pay is only $9.00/hour but can live with that. From what I saw, they use some Camry's, Prius's and a Sienna minivan as their shuttle vehicles which works great for me, especially the Sienna's. They all have the Toyota and owners name on them which is probably a great marketing tool.
    So, we're going to give this a whirl as they've really bent over backwards to want me. Using my cane didn't seem to be an issue and the guy never brought it up. Figured I'd not mention it either. Think the shuttle area will be Broward County, Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach County but the tri-county area isn't that far away really. Seems they like having retirees doing this job so works for me. Truthfully, I really only wanted another day at Enterprise but at this juncture, that ain't happening so, I'll see how this works out. Those hours, I'm usually home anyways just hanging out or napping. Or out & about spending money so working those 11 hours should work out fine. But, I really agonized over all this and knew that working those 6 days wold be fine at first but eventually would be an issue.
    So, will go in tomorrow to meet whomever and see what happens next. I did take a drug test before working for Hertz, so it ain't a problem really. I'm on two medications from my pain doctor and I'm always upfront about that so it's known before the results come back. And then, I want to try the job. I've wanted to be a shuttle driver for years and this is the first shot at getting it. And like I say, doing it only two afternoons a week should work out nicely. And I'm o k with the $9/hour. Best thing is if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always give my notice. But it's something I've just got to try. Who knows, I might really like it and just do both for awhile. I just know I can't work 6 days a week nor do I want to!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited May 2021

Drove the Voyager all day at work and we had to do two runs from PBI, Palm Beach International airport, to MIA, Miami's airport. Seems like the demand for vehicles is greater down there so in the last couple of days, we've run like 50 vehicles down there. The Voyager is a very nice minivan to drive, plenty of acceleration and not real thirsty. Having the SAT radio is the best thing besides the ease of getting in & out for me. Will probably let some of the others drive it, eventually, but so far, it's mine! And the others aren't complaining much at all.
    Wife just called, nail in one of the tires! Luckily, we're on her 1st set that we bought so all have that road hazard protection plan. Told her she'll have to take it over there for them to check out and patch if necessary. And if unfixable, they'll pro-rate a new tire and install it. She works in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow so it'll have to be done Friday but since I have to work, she'll need to take care of it. Her new hours at TurboTax are from 8 PM to midnight Friday through Tuesday, so she'll have all day Friday to take care of it. I'm busy the next few days so she'll need to step up here.
    Like I told the kids, with any vehicle, stuff happens and they must be taken care of. Just part of owning a car.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@benjaminh said:

I think we'll find a way to persevere. :)

I was curious as to the value on the X3 that I will be trading soon - one month ago, Carvana was at $39,300 and Vroom at $39,400. Polestar offered $39,500 (and that value was written into my contract).

Yesterday's value from Carvana is down to $37,100.

I'd like to think the market is coming back down on used cars, but I think it's simply indicative of the volatility.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550

that is a pricier, more "specialty" car. Not sure if the more mainstream stuff like my Daughters Jetta is tanking. She did check Carvana again Sunday night, and that had gone up another 1-200 dollars since the week before. But that is gone, so I am done checking!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,152

@henryn said:

https://forums.edmunds.com/profile/edit

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2021

@Sandman6472 said:
    Think I mentioned about that shuttle drivers gig at the local Toyota dealer. Turned it down the first time as the days were an issue. Had second thoughts and called back on Friday and had my interview on Monday morning. Got a voicemail that afternoon about the new three day schedule and to find out when could I come in to meet the big boss. About dinner time, after having agonized over it for days now, I texted the hiring guy that I really appreciate the invite but working 6 days a week is more than I want to do right now. Thanked him for considering me and said, if y'all ever want a river for just 2 days a week, the afternoons, please give me a holler and I'll do it. Funny thing is I've been trying for years to get a shuttle drive job at one of the dealers right near the house and now that it's finally happened, I turn it down. Bummer really but I don't ant to push my body as I know my limitations.
    Go for breakfast Tuesday before work and get a text! Two days a week is doable so please come in today to meet the big guy and schedule the urine test! Text back that I'm working the next couple of days but can come by Thursday after my 3 PM dental appointment, so that's where we stand now. Saturday and Monday afternoons from 12:30 to 6 but won't be surprised if they ask me to start around 11 which would work. Still have Thursday and Sunday as my n/s days so I can do the things I need to, and rest up a bit. So, we'll see how this works out but think it's totally doable. Pay is only $9.00/hour but can live with that. From what I saw, they use some Camry's, Prius's and a Sienna minivan as their shuttle vehicles which works great for me, especially the Sienna's. They all have the Toyota and owners name on them which is probably a great marketing tool.
    So, we're going to give this a whirl as they've really bent over backwards to want me. Using my cane didn't seem to be an issue and the guy never brought it up. Figured I'd not mention it either. Think the shuttle area will be Broward County, Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach County but the tri-county area isn't that far away really. Seems they like having retirees doing this job so works for me. Truthfully, I really only wanted another day at Enterprise but at this juncture, that ain't happening so, I'll see how this works out. Those hours, I'm usually home anyways just hanging out or napping. Or out & about spending money so working those 11 hours should work out fine. But, I really agonized over all this and knew that working those 6 days wold be fine at first but eventually would be an issue.
    So, will go in tomorrow to meet whomever and see what happens next. I did take a drug test before working for Hertz, so it ain't a problem really. I'm on two medications from my pain doctor and I'm always upfront about that so it's known before the results come back. And then, I want to try the job. I've wanted to be a shuttle driver for years and this is the first shot at getting it. And like I say, doing it only two afternoons a week should work out nicely. And I'm o k with the $9/hour. Best thing is if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always give my notice. But it's something I've just got to try. Who knows, I might really like it and just do both for awhile. I just know I can't work 6 days a week nor do I want to!

You know, with the government paying people to stay home that dealership probably can’t get enough applicants. They have to compromise and give people what they want.

I know that my HR people couldn’t understand why I wanted to come back since I was making 3X as much on unemployment.

@oldfarmer50 said:

@Sandman6472 said:

You know, with the government paying people to stay home that dealership probably can’t get enough applicants. They have to compromise and give people what they want.

I know that my HR people couldn’t understand why I wanted to come back since I was making 3X as much on unemployment.

that should be changing soon. But technically, if they offer you your job back, you lose UI if you refuse it. Or did that rule also change with the cares act?

I was so ready to go back last June. Now the folks that waited weren't called back to work, there were at least a half dozen folks who we've not seen since. I was so ready that once I heard the northern folks were starting back, I texted my boss and said when can I come back, I'm ready now even if it means driving up to West Palm Beach for a little bit. I heard back from him within the hour about when I should come up for the new orientation. Staying home any longer and getting paid more to do so was no longer an option for me. I know most of the time, especially when my spinal issues are at bay, I like working at my job. Strange maybe, but I like my job. And now I'm going to find out if a job I've always wanted is all I think it will be. Giving it my best shot here and know it'll be fine. I mean, hey, it's only going to be for 11 hours a week, time I'd either be watching t v, surfing on the net or taking a nap. This will be more fun and I'll make a few extra bucks to.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

@Sandman6472, I don’t quite understand why the job of shuttle driver appeals to you so much. I get it about the job delivering cars for Enterprise. On that job, you get to drive a lot of different cars, which is for most of us a fun thing. But as a shuttle driver, you are going to be in one vehicle, and one vehicle only. So what exactly is the appeal?

Not that it’s any of my business, and I wish you the absolute best in your new endeavor, just curious.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@henryn said:
    @Sandman6472, I don’t quite understand why the job of shuttle driver appeals to you so much. I get it about the job delivering cars for Enterprise. On that job, you get to drive a lot of different cars, which is for most of us a fun thing. But as a shuttle driver, you are going to be in one vehicle, and one vehicle only. So what exactly is the appeal?

Not that it’s any of my business, and I wish you the absolute best in your new endeavor, just curious.

what kind of man wouldn't want to spend all day driving a minivan around? B)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168

Didn't change as far as I know. The real issue is, to borrow from a famous line, the wages are too darn low. Federal min wage would be almost 50% higher than it is now, if it tracked even the most rudimentary CPI stats over the past 40-50 years. I've also read lack of childcare availability (and affordability) is also a disincentive to return.

@stickguy said:
    that should be changing soon. But technically, if they offer you your job back, you lose UI if you refuse it. Or did that rule also change with the cares act?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36342329/new-cars-expensive-prices/
    "....How long will these higher prices last? We don't know, but surely not forever. Reuters reported that many auto executives, including GM CEO Mary Barra, believe that the chip shortage will worsen in the second quarter of 2021, which could further impact inventories and drive prices even higher. The bottleneck is expected to improve in the second half of the year, at which point the supply and demand could start to balance out. If you can hold off on your new-vehicle purchase for a few more months, your wallet might thank you."

as long as there is an excess around Christmas when I hope to be shopping, I'm good! Just hope I don't need to go shopping in July instead.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

I’m thrilled I was able to land the Jeep deal. Of course it’s not done until it is signed and funded, but…

In other news Jeep raised the MSRP of wrangler 4xE by nearly $2k and apparently reduced spiffs to the dealers. Thankfully my order got in and produced before the change. That would’ve changed the dynamic on my deal for sure.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited May 2021

I’m constantly fighting for labor. My GC’s are solid with the skilled labor but getting temps to fill headcount has been especially challenging. It makes it very difficult to maintain timelines. Adding in the steel shortages for fixtures and that the entire shipping industry is basically behind on everything is making for stressful days!

Good example of why I don’t want a full sized new PU. the thumbnail picture (front shot) shows how massively oversized front ends have become. Too tall and bulky. The old ones, easy to see out of and over the hood, and look much easier to maneuver and park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDat2LEsVKM

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

@benjaminh said:

I agree. I’m totally discouraged when I go browsing car listings. However, we have some dedicated autophiles here who are very skilled at getting what they want.

There are deals out there. Just have to work a little harder to find what you want, at the price you want. Patience helps a lot, too. If I had decided I wanted the Bronco Sport, for example, I would have been able to get exactly what I wanted, probably at a decent discount (not $xxx over invoice, though) if I were willing to wait and/or travel to a different state to get it.

I believe it’s going to be that way for the rest of this year.

That said, just like real estate, used cars are riding on a demand/pricing bubble. That bubble is going to crash, sooner rather than later. There is no way used cars that are selling at the prices they’re selling at now can be sustained.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@stickguy said:
    Good example of why I don’t want a full sized new PU. the thumbnail picture (front shot) shows how massively oversized front ends have become. Too tall and bulky. The old ones, easy to see out of and over the hood, and look much easier to maneuver and park!

It all started with the 94 Dodge Ram IMO

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

It all started with the 94 Dodge Ram IMO

I agree and when they started their slow and steady climb into the luxury realm they are in now. They once sold well because they were a relative bargain. You could get a regular cab, V8 truck with a few options (A/C, cassette player, PS, PB) for a very reasonable price and plenty of people just starting out or who already had the family car covered went that route. Plus back then, given their simplicity, they would run forever and were easy to fix when something went wrong.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    stickguy said:

Selective imagery there. Check the real specs and a 1971 C10 4x4 and 2021 1500 4x4 are actually both 75.6 inches tall.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It’s the front design that I don’t like.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Beat me to it, it's not merely the height, it's the blocky front and and pseudo-butch styling made to make one feel like a real man, just need an awkward looking beard and MTFU or similar stickers and occasional parking at a youth sports event where the driver screams a lot - it's almost like some kind of cosplay these days, like the Subarus and Toyota 4x4s slathered in outdoorsy stickers and racks. Trucks used to be used as tools, now they are too often used by them, and the styling IMO is a significant factor. Lifestyle accessories.
    stickguy said:

It’s the front design that I don’t like.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    qbrozen said:

Selective imagery there. Check the real specs and a 1971 C10 4x4 and 2021 1500 4x4 are actually both 75.6 inches tall.

In reality though, very few 1970 pickups were 4WD whereas today most seem to be. The same with regular cab vs crew or double cab.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

In reality though, very few 1970 pickups were 4WD whereas today most seem to be. The same with regular cab vs crew or double cab.

A Gladiator and Tacoma are both longer than the C10.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Though I have no desire for a pick up, I cannot think of paying so much for one and then not being able to park it in a garage because they are too large! It would hog too much of the driveway as well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

Though I have no desire for a pick up, I cannot think of paying so much for one and then not being able to park it in a garage because they are too large! It would hog too much of the driveway as well.

Have to agree with you. Not parking in a garage is a pet peeve of mine.

I could probably fit one on the left side of our garage but I’d have to get rid of my workbench.