Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    edited May 2021
    A Ridgeline is longer than a C10 with an 8’ bed! And yes, it’s not ride height (heck, raising it helps the view!). It’s making the hood be 2’ taller and much blockier. New one only 3” wider. Thought it might be more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I’d try for a RWD version. Might find a ranger that way. Almost never a half ton. Unless I really was moving up north to snow country.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    The presentation of this car is impressive. Squeaky clean-
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-330ci-34/

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

It’s the front design that I don’t like.

I think that every new full-size truck looks like it was styled by Lego.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    tifighter said:

BMW does blues very well! I can’t imagine how many hours they have in detailing that car but it is beautiful.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

I’d try for a RWD version. Might find a ranger that way. Almost never a half ton. Unless I really was moving up north to snow country.

Here in Texas the majority of new trucks have always been RWD, not 4WD. I bought new Chevy trucks in 2011 and 2013, and new Fords in 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2018. Thus I did a lot of shopping, and in every case the dealer would have at least twice as many RWD as 4WD.

And yes, the problem with the new trucks is the front end, not the total height. And yes, that was done on purpose to make them look more "macho".
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    au1994 said:

tifighter said:

BMW does blues very well! I can’t imagine how many hours they have in detailing that car but it is beautiful.
    Yeah, it's impressive-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

@Sandman6472 said:

Think I mentioned about that shuttle drivers gig at the local Toyota dealer. Turned it down the first time as the days were an issue. Had second thoughts and called back on Friday and had my interview on Monday morning. Got a voicemail that afternoon about the new three day schedule and to find out when could I come in to meet the big boss. About dinner time, after having agonized over it for days now, I texted the hiring guy that I really appreciate the invite but working 6 days a week is more than I want to do right now. Thanked him for considering me and said, if y'all ever want a river for just 2 days a week, the afternoons, please give me a holler and I'll do it. Funny thing is I've been trying for years to get a shuttle drive job at one of the dealers right near the house and now that it's finally happened, I turn it down. Bummer really but I don't ant to push my body as I know my limitations.

Go for breakfast Tuesday before work and get a text! Two days a week is doable so please come in today to meet the big guy and schedule the urine test! Text back that I'm working the next couple of days but can come by Thursday after my 3 PM dental appointment, so that's where we stand now. Saturday and Monday afternoons from 12:30 to 6 but won't be surprised if they ask me to start around 11 which would work. Still have Thursday and Sunday as my n/s days so I can do the things I need to, and rest up a bit. So, we'll see how this works out but think it's totally doable. Pay is only $9.00/hour but can live with that. From what I saw, they use some Camry's, Prius's and a Sienna minivan as their shuttle vehicles which works great for me, especially the Sienna's. They all have the Toyota and owners name on them which is probably a great marketing tool.

So, we're going to give this a whirl as they've really bent over backwards to want me. Using my cane didn't seem to be an issue and the guy never brought it up. Figured I'd not mention it either. Think the shuttle area will be Broward County, Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach County but the tri-county area isn't that far away really. Seems they like having retirees doing this job so works for me. Truthfully, I really only wanted another day at Enterprise but at this juncture, that ain't happening so, I'll see how this works out. Those hours, I'm usually home anyways just hanging out or napping. Or out & about spending money so working those 11 hours should work out fine. But, I really agonized over all this and knew that working those 6 days wold be fine at first but eventually would be an issue.

So, will go in tomorrow to meet whomever and see what happens next. I did take a drug test before working for Hertz, so it ain't a problem really. I'm on two medications from my pain doctor and I'm always upfront about that so it's known before the results come back. And then, I want to try the job. I've wanted to be a shuttle driver for years and this is the first shot at getting it. And like I say, doing it only two afternoons a week should work out nicely. And I'm o k with the $9/hour. Best thing is if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can always give my notice. But it's something I've just got to try. Who knows, I might really like it and just do both for awhile. I just know I can't work 6 days a week nor do I want to!

You know, with the government paying people to stay home that dealership probably can’t get enough applicants. They have to compromise and give people what they want.

I know that my HR people couldn’t understand why I wanted to come back since I was making 3X as much on unemployment.

that should be changing soon. But technically, if they offer you your job back, you lose UI if you refuse it. Or did that rule also change with the cares act?

I know in the old days refusing to return to work would cancel your UI but covid changed everything. I’m guessing fear of infection is grounds for refusing to return.

There must be something different going on with the rules because I heard on the news today that the unemployment figures are higher than they should be because people are “evaluating their circumstances” and deciding to stay home.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    edited May 2021
    stickguy said:

Good example of why I don’t want a full sized new PU. the thumbnail picture (front shot) shows how massively oversized front ends have become. Too tall and bulky. The old ones, easy to see out of and over the hood, and look much easier to maneuver and park!

I wanted to do something like this as well. I was going to get a 2019 Chevy 2500 to complement my 1969 C20. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it when the time came because pickups are just too overpriced. Who knows, though. Maybe I will get one when the '19 is 28 years old... just like I did with the '69!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Selective imagery there. Check the real specs and a 1971 C10 4x4 and 2021 1500 4x4 are actually both 75.6 inches tall.

Definitely true. Using the two-wheel-drive version of the older model certainly doesn't help on the visuals. Plus, that one looks a little slammed (maybe not entirely slammed) compared to stock ride height. Still the front ends of these newer ones are no joke. You could take out a small herd of deer with one and wonder how the mosquitoes grew so large when you're picking them out of the grille later on.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Good example of why I don’t want a full sized new PU. the thumbnail picture (front shot) shows how massively oversized front ends have become. Too tall and bulky. The old ones, easy to see out of and over the hood, and look much easier to maneuver and park!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDat2LEsVKM

Selective imagery there. Check the real specs and a 1971 C10 4x4 and 2021 1500 4x4 are actually both 75.6 inches tall.
    More internet trickery? If this keeps up we won’t be able to believe everything we read or see.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,104
    xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I wanted to do something like this as well. I was going to get a 2019 Chevy 2500 to complement my 1969 C20. But, I couldn't bring myself to do it when the time came because pickups are just too overpriced. Who knows, though. Maybe I will get one when the '19 is 28 years old... just like I did with the '69!
    Growing up, I drove my dad's 1970 C10 quite a bit, and I always thought that was a massive beast (probably because the other car in the family when I got my license was a '73 Toyota Corona). I actually used it in a TSD (time speed distance) rally once.

The last time I drove it (after my dad has passed in 2016), I realized it really wasn't all that big - but, I'd owned an Explorer and and Expedition in the meantime, so I had something of similar size (or larger) to compare it against.

I can't imagine what driving a new pickup would be like - I know these things are way more luxurious now, but the visibility must be lousy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I know in the old days refusing to return to work would cancel your UI but covid changed everything. I’m guessing fear of infection is grounds for refusing to return.

There must be something different going on with the rules because I heard on the news today that the unemployment figures are higher than they should be because people are “evaluating their circumstances” and deciding to stay home.

There's nothing wrong with "evaluating circumstances." However, if one decides to stay home, then no UI for you! My wife made that decision years ago, and it was a great move. We accepted the responsibility for the decision, and we're doing just fine (TYVM!).

So, how can we go about getting a slice of this scrumptious pie, again?! LOL
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Growing up, I drove my dad's 1970 C10 quite a bit, and I always thought that was a massive beast (probably because the other car in the family when I got my license was a '73 Toyota Corona). I actually used it in a TSD (time speed distance) rally once.

The last time I drove it (after my dad has passed in 2016), I realized it really wasn't all that big - but, I'd owned an Explorer and and Expedition in the meantime, so I had something of similar size (or larger) to compare it against.

I can't imagine what driving a new pickup would be like - I know these things are way more luxurious now, but the visibility must be lousy.
    Yes, so true! I grew up driving tractors, so nothing road-worthy really seemed "big" when I started driving them. And, even things that truly *were* massive, like my grandfather's 1997 F350 diesel (crew cab, 8' bed), were incredibly easy to drive because they had all these newfangled features like power steering and power brakes!

However.... visibility is pretty rotten, even on the '97 F350, in comparison to the C20. Mine is really sporty for a pickup (in terms of handling), but it's not just that which makes it feel small... the cab's glass-to-area ratio really favors the glass, and it is that which allows me to maneuver it with confidence in small spaces.
    The most recent "modern" pickup I've driven is, I think, a 2016 Ram 1500 (4x4), and that one felt really big due to the high seating position and just lots and lots of blind spots. Visibility was like driving a big rig compared to the C20, but it had a glassy smooth, comfy ride (also in contrast to the C20).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    For about a year, our state suspended the need to look for work, to draw UI. But, now that has been reinstated. So, technically, you can't turn it down, or you lose your UI. But, the state UI offices are still so swamped, it might be awhile before they figure it all out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Michaell said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

That would depend on what you mean by "visibility". I think overall my 2018 F150 had very good visibility. I could see front, sides, rear, quite easily. What I couldn't see was what was immediately in front of me or behind me, and low down. Thus driving on the highway was great, high seating position, able to see far down the road and over most traffic. But parking -- well, we don't want to go there.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    xwesx said:

Plus, that one looks a little slammed (maybe not entirely slammed) compared to stock ride height. Still the front ends of these newer ones are no joke. You could take out a small herd of deer with one and wonder how the mosquitoes grew so large when you're picking them out of the grille later on.

The 1970 drawing is from GM factory literature. Certainly not slammed.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Good article from Automotive News about the implications of the automotive chip shortage.

https://www.europe.autonews.com/suppliers/chip-shortage-forces-automakers-leave-out-some-high-end-features

A quote from the above linked article:

In at least one case, automakers are asking a major chipmaker to send microcontrollers that do not meet standard specifications, a person familiar with the matter said. Those sub-standard chips would not jeopardize safety essentials, like brakes, the person said, but they could mean in-car entertainment or emissions monitoring systems are more likely to malfunction in extreme weather.

Automakers and suppliers can accept whatever chips are available and rewrite the software to give them a new task, said Sig Huber, a consultant at Conway MacKenzie and a former head of purchasing at Fiat Chrysler. Tesla said last week it alleviated issues by reaching out to new semiconductor suppliers and then quickly writing new firmware for those chips.
    "Quickly writing new firmware" gives me shivers running up and down my spine. I have seen far, far, far too much hastily written software that was nothing but a disaster waiting to happen.
    Those parts above also were the ones that jumped out at me. I wouldn't want to buy a new car with those kind of issues knowingly built in.

ab348 said:

xwesx said:

Plus, that one looks a little slammed (maybe not entirely slammed) compared to stock ride height. Still the front ends of these newer ones are no joke. You could take out a small herd of deer with one and wonder how the mosquitoes grew so large when you're picking them out of the grille later on.

The 1970 drawing is from GM factory literature. Certainly not slammed.

I meant the video truck. That thing is sitting real low,
    edited May 2021
    henryn said:

"Quickly writing new firmware" gives me shivers running up and down my spine. I have seen far, far, far too much hastily written software that was nothing but a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, no doubt. I'd say, avoid any car built over the next 18-24 months!
    au1994 said:

tifighter said:

they do, and this is one of the best. This car is just about perfect.

one thing about size vs. drivability. back when I was driving the marching band equipment truck (my son was in the band in HS) I had a lot of hours in a big Ryder truck (usually a 26' box Freightliner, sometimes an International). The Fl in particular was very easy to place. short hood, sloped way down, could see all the corners. I could comfortably put that inches from another car (much less stressful than my RDX!) Even the sides were easy, with the big main mirrors and the 2nd low ones that showed the blindspots. Also handy for telling if you were reasonably within the lane markings!

It was wide, but that just required enough space since it was easy to see the sides and where you were. Now, backing up? that was not for the faint of heart without a spotter! In those days, no cameras on them.

actually, reminds me of having the Odyssey. Longest car I every owned or drove regularly, but really easy to drive since it was maneuverable, and small up front so easy to see what you were doing.

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

The sweet spot is when they are between 15 and 20 years old. That in my experience is the bottom of the depreciation curve. My 2000 convertible was about $2k when I bought it at 18 years old but now I see similar cars for $4k at 21 years old. Part of that is due to the current craziness but not all of it.

So fora truck I’d be looking for a 2001-2006 model. Something like this.
    https://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/d/sarasota-2003-dodge-dakota-quade-cab/7315169119.html

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited May 2021
    henryn said:

Or, "we designed the hardware with multiple critical flaws, but we've reached final build, so they'll just have to work it out with software!"
    xwesx said:

There's nothing wrong with "evaluating circumstances." However, if one decides to stay home, then no UI for you! My wife made that decision years ago, and it was a great move. We accepted the responsibility for the decision, and we're doing just fine (TYVM!).

So, how can we go about getting a slice of this scrumptious pie, again?! LOL
    Even though they were shoveling money at me I actively tried to get back to work. Call it work ethic or stupidity, I couldn’t stand receiving money for sitting home indefinitely.

kyfdx said:

For about a year, our state suspended the need to look for work, to draw UI. But, now that has been reinstated. So, technically, you can't turn it down, or you lose your UI. But, the state UI offices are still so swamped, it might be awhile before they figure it all out.

My company went through the driver list several times offering people their jobs back. After a certain number of refusals they were offered an ultimatum, come back or resign. I saw a stack of the forms on the counter one morning so I knew they had had enough. I just picked up the latest driver list today and it was less than half of what it was pre-layoff. I think some of the dead wood were not invited back.

I went to work for Gulf Oil in 1972. They had not had a layoff since about 1959, so there was a LOT of dead wood laying around. They had a really big round of layoffs in 1981, and things really tightened up around there.

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

The sweet spot is when they are between 15 and 20 years old. That in my experience is the bottom of the depreciation curve. My 2000 convertible was about $2k when I bought it at 18 years old but now I see similar cars for $4k at 21 years old. Part of that is due to the current craziness but not all of it.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/d/sarasota-2003-dodge-dakota-quade-cab/7315169119.html
    Nice looking truck, but I notice they never actually name a price. I owned a Dakota, a 2003 or 2004, right around there. I bought it new, a supercab not a crewcab, with the V8. It was fairly quick.

My brother was working at a Mopar dealership at the time, he removed the factory speed limiter and we took it out for a test spin. A deputy sheriff got us on radar at a really illegal speed, but luckily he knew my brother.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    fintail said:

Trucks used to be used as tools, now they are too often used by them, and the styling IMO is a significant factor. Lifestyle accessories.

This is one of the best observations of the month, if not the year. In the Southwest lots of people used pickups for the last 50 years to do work, not to drive to work.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

fintail said:

Trucks used to be used as tools, now they are too often used by them, and the styling IMO is a significant factor. Lifestyle accessories.

This is one of the best observations of the month, if not the year. In the Southwest lots of people used pickups for the last 50 years to do work, not to drive to work.
    well, let's be honest, there are a great number of vehicles that are simply excess. Pickups are not alone in this regard.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I know what you mean.... but that has to be the most scummy Craigslist advertisement ever. And, that's saying something! :D
    edited May 2021

@xwesx said:
    I know what you mean.... but that has to be the most scummy Craigslist advertisement ever. And, that's saying something! :D

For one thing, never write “Never worked” in a car ad. Second... “shows no wear”? Are you kidding? All I see is wear. And based on the yellow staining on the visor, ceiling console, and center console, I’d guess this was a smoker’s car.

Taking all of that into account, I don’t even care that this BHPH dealer does not even offer a price.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

well, let's be honest, there are a great number of vehicles that are simply excess. Pickups are not alone in this regard.
    Are you talking about me or yourself? :)

xwesx said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

My favorite CL phrase is “perfect, no disappointments here”. Next!

henryn said:

I went to work for Gulf Oil in 1972. They had not had a layoff since about 1959, so there was a LOT of dead wood laying around. They had a really big round of layoffs in 1981, and things really tightened up around there.

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Nice looking truck, but I notice they never actually name a price. I owned a Dakota, a 2003 or 2004, right around there. I bought it new, a supercab not a crewcab, with the V8. It was fairly quick.

My brother was working at a Mopar dealership at the time, he removed the factory speed limiter and we took it out for a test spin. A deputy sheriff got us on radar at a really illegal speed, but luckily he knew my brother.

When I started at Motorola in 1995 they had something like 150k employee’s worldwide. So deadwood was everywhere. There was even an untold truth that if you made it to 15 years, they’d never get rid of you, just move you around. This was back when they were into everything from automotive parts, to chips to pagers and of course phones.

qbrozen said:

fintail said:

Are you talking about me or yourself? :)
    Both? haha. But, yeah, I was also including v8 sports coupes in there that are used to run to the grocery store or shuttle kids to baseball practice. So I, for one, certainly can't complain about someone using a pickup truck to commute to work or pick up 2 cans of paint at Lowes.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    corvette said:

henryn said:

Or, "we designed the hardware with multiple critical flaws, but we've reached final build, so they'll just have to work it out with software!"
    The scourge of every tech engineer….”can we just add (pick one, or more) these features to the build?”. Had this conversation more than once. “Here’s the build and the feature set. The deadline is here. Tell me now if you can/can’t reach the feature set at the deadline. If the answer is “yes”, the door closes and no adds are allowed. If the answer is no, the feature set is stripped until the deadline can be reached. The one thing that never changes is the deadline.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    au1994 said:

henryn said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

When I started at Motorola in 1995 they had something like 150k employee’s worldwide. So deadwood was everywhere. There was even an untold truth that if you made it to 15 years, they’d never get rid of you, just move you around. This was back when they were into everything from automotive parts, to chips to pagers and of course phones.
    The 2 companies where I spent the vast majority of me career, XEROX and AMD, you made it to 10 years, you’re there until retirement. When we were going through hard times, lots of people thought they were safe because they had “tenure”. Ended up, if you couldn’t produce revenue far and above your wage, produce design that was innovative, if you couldn’t provide products that were in demand, you were shown the door, regardless of your tenure. I welcomed that as those who rode on our coat tails, of those of us who were busting their hump, were given no quarters. That was back in the ‘90s and early ‘00s. Talking to former colleagues, they’re falling back into the same old “well, we made it this far, we can now coast”, mentality given they’re now “flush” again. I know where that leads.

Although, in XEROX’s situation, not sure where they are these days. I know they’ve split off bits and pieces of the company. But, they were fat and happy back in the ‘90s and lost their way. I’ve been away from that company for a while. So, aside from them trying to reinvent themselves as a document management company (not even sure what that means), they certainly haven’t been the copier powerhouse they were when I was there.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

au1994 said:

henryn said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

The 2 companies where I spent the vast majority of me career, XEROX and AMD, you made it to 10 years, you’re there until retirement. When we were going through hard times, lots of people thought they were safe because they had “tenure”. Ended up, if you couldn’t produce revenue far and above your wage, produce design that was innovative, if you couldn’t provide products that were in demand, you were shown the door, regardless of your tenure. I welcomed that as those who rode on our coat tails, of those of us who were busting their hump, were given no quarters. That was back in the ‘90s and early ‘00s. Talking to former colleagues, they’re falling back into the same old “well, we made it this far, we can now coast”, mentality given they’re now “flush” again. I know where that leads.

Although, in XEROX’s situation, not sure where they are these days. I know they’ve split off bits and pieces of the company. But, they were fat and happy back in the ‘90s and lost their way. I’ve been away from that company for a while. So, aside from them trying to reinvent themselves as a document management company (not even sure what that means), they certainly haven’t been the copier powerhouse they were when I was there.
    It may have been 10 years at MOT as well. I know there were some people caught flat footed when the blood letting started.

Companies do some stupid things. They relocated me to TX in July, 45 days later they decided to close that plant in the fall. I hadn’t even made my first house payment yet! I was young and single at the time but the household goods move and a month in temp house in still had to cost them 20k.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    henryn said:

I went to work for Gulf Oil in 1972. They had not had a layoff since about 1959, so there was a LOT of dead wood laying around.

About the time you were working with Gulf, all my friends in New Orleans were Texas transplants whose fathers worked for Gulf, Texaco, Exxon. Dad worked as a manager overseeing construction of oil platforms and laying pipeline in the Gulf of Mexico. He worked for J Ray McDermott and later with Brown & Root in Europe working with BP and Elf.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The bulk of my work experience was with the provincial govt here. Once you get past your 6 to 12-month probationary period and become a full-fledged civil servant, you essentially cannot be let go. For non-union management types it is possible, but since they have a policy that they do not pay severance at what the courts deem to be acceptable levels, they almost never do it. The only way such people get let go is if they commit a criminal act, steal (and even that is no cinch if they are in the union), or commit some kind of unacceptable but not criminal behavior. Even those who have been found via independent investigation to be guilty of racial or other kinds of harassment do not get fired, but instead get moved elsewhere. Talk about deadwood... I worked in a place with a fellow whose job title was "internal auditor", and he did have all the professional certifications for that. But for some reason I never found out he never did anything along those lines, and in fact seldom did anything work-related during the work day. He read books, worked on his antiques business that he ran on the side, and then would stay late to tutor private students in his office. He was a nice if somewhat strange fellow, but totally unmanageable, so they gave up trying to make him productive before I got there. He was still there after I left and I understand finally retired with a full pension.

When I moved to the liquor business it was a very different story. The private-sector management team did not hesitate to let people go, but they were treated well if that happened with generous severance and benefits. For most of them, it was the best thing that ever happened to them because they found far more fulfilling and suitable jobs elsewhere. I saw it just like pruning a tree in that it made the organism much healthier. I wonder how much the government payroll here would decrease if they adopted that philosophy, having seen so many people during my time in government just putting in time and doing the bare minimum until they waited for their pension eligibility.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited May 2021
    I think that's how it still works in most of the public sector. At my prior tech-adjacent employer, during restructuring, people with 20+ years tenure were let go, or given a somewhat insulting relocation offer probably concocted by a coddled from birth suit who doesn't actually live in the real world. And some wonder why there are some bad feelings in our version of late stage capitalism.

At Gulf, in the 70s, there was a commonly heard refrain, “The only way to get fired around here is to beat up your supervisor ON THE PREMISES”. And those last 3 words were emphasized.

By the 1990s, working at Chevron after they bought up Gulf, the situation was completely different. Major layoffs every other year. We joked about “management by layoffs”. Eventually it became a matter of who you knew, not what you knew. Skills, hard work, dedication, that wasn’t enough. You had to have someone in management pulling for you, or you were history.
    As for “needing a pickup”, I remember someone here in these forums, a few years back, remarking, “90% of everything you will ever do with a car you could do with a Honda Fit”. Truer words.
    edited May 2021
    qbrozen said:

I’d like to amend that to “you will ever NEED to do.” Because I don’t NEED to leave rubber stripes on the road, but I do it everytime out! ;b

Well, if your goal is to leave rubber stripes on the road, then you have the right tool for the job. Frankly, a Subaru Forester just wouldn't cut it. ;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@stickguy said:
    they do, and this is one of the best. This car is just about perfect.

I’ve had three BMW shades of blue: Atlantic, Riviera, and LeMans. I also like Avus, Phytonic, Portimao, and Tanzanite.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Here in NS I would guess that well over 90% of BMWs on the roads are either white or black. Almost all with black interior too.