Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,360
    My dealer emailed me announcing that BMW is now offering three years of oil changes for $199 prepaid- every time the car's Condition Based Service CBS system calls for one. Only BMWs that have reached 60 months or 60,000 miles are eligible. Since the CBS calls for an oil service every 12 months or 10k miles on my two 2014 and 2015 BMWs it works out to only $66 per service at most. I'm definitely getting it for the X1, and maybe for the M235i- since M2 C prices are actually rising.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    You said it was for cars above 60/60k or below?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

@jmonroe1 said:
    Isn’t that kind of retaliation illegal where you come from? :s

jmonroe

Only if you get caught.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    There are areas in philly where you better hope it’s the cops that catch you. At least you might still be alive after.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    dino001 said:

You said it was for cars above 60/60k or below?

Above.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Back in the '90s one of my friends was pulling into a parking spot and a carload of gangsta wannabees cut in front of him and took the spot. They all laughed and flipped him off. He waited until they walked off and he then proceeded to drill out all four valve stems with his cordless drill, leaving their car almost resting on the subframes.
    Another friend had a guy in the adjacent parking spot throw open his door and really ding my friend's car; once again the perp laughed and walked off. This was back in the early '80s, so my friend retaliated by squirting cyanoacrylate glue into the door and trunk keyholes- followed by a paperclip.

Isn’t that kind of retaliation illegal where you come from? :s

jmonroe
    Yes, but one friend lives in VA and the other in NY.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited May 2021

@stickguy said:
    I’m driving a cargo van into Boston Saturday, moving my daughter up. Her roommate (already there) had to go to the city and reserve a street spot for the day (8 hours). Gets a whole packet of stuff. Signs to put on the meter, flyers to distribute, parking permit, etc. quite a production, but for ~$70 it better be good!

Boston welcomes your daughter. May she have a smooth transition, and as a welcome token I left her two Red Sox tickets at the box office. She really does not need a car in Boston, Uber is popular and safe. Other ride sharing options are available. Bon chance!

• Options
    Thanks. She is currently on the Acela heading up to get a head start until we arrive with her mountain of crap. I mean wonderful belongings. Not sure a SWB transit is cutting it. Will need all my Tetris level packing skills for this job.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Heading to Ohio tomorrow and returning on Monday.
    Hard to believe I will be putting more miles on my MKZ than I have since December 23.
    Hoping to make it to Ohio on one tank, done it several times before, so I don't have to pay those PA gas prices.
    Bringing back one of the kids. They are going to work remote for the week, go to a wedding shower on Saturday, then fly back to Wisco on Sunday.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

Hard to believe I will be putting more miles on my MKZ than I have since December 23.
    Hoping to make it to Ohio on one tank, done it several times before, so I don't have to pay those PA gas prices.
    Bringing back one of the kids. They are going to work remote for the week, go to a wedding shower on Saturday, then fly back to Wisco on Sunday.

...fly back to Wisco.... Wisconsin?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    driver100 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@driver100 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

@imidazol97 said:

Interesting way to handle the folks who "reserve" parking spaces till the car gets there.
    https://fb.watch/5in8Og1KK7/

Sorry it's on FB. I didn't see a way to link to it outside of FB.

I’m pretty sure that’s staged. Otherwise it’s an expensive way to get your revenge as you’d lose your boot. Those are easy to defeat with a screw driver. Just pop that flimsy adjuster lock and off it comes. Keying or slashing tires seems easier, although slashing tire has it’s own drawbacks.

Now that's leaving your prints at the scene.

....not to mention DNA if they can't match the finger prints ;)

You really have to wonder what happened that someone cut off their finger while slashing tires.

.........and just walked away bleeding to death. Must have had a few drinks before doing it!

Anyone who would leave his finger at the scene while he screeched off to the hospital must have a substance abuse or mental acuity problem.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited May 2021

Back in the '90s one of my friends was pulling into a parking spot and a carload of gangsta wannabees cut in front of him and took the spot. They all laughed and flipped him off. He waited until they walked off and he then proceeded to drill out all four valve stems with his cordless drill, leaving their car almost resting on the subframes.
    Another friend had a guy in the adjacent parking spot throw open his door and really ding my friend's car; once again the perp laughed and walked off. This was back in the early '80s, so my friend retaliated by squirting cyanoacrylate glue into the door and trunk keyholes- followed by a paperclip.

What kind of idiot would PO someone and then leave their car to said person’s mercy? The only thing I can think of is if your were driving you ex-wife’s car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Anyone who would leave his finger at the scene while he screeched off to the hospital must have a substance abuse or mental acuity problem.

Aside from the finger being evidence (fingerprint, DNA, etc), there is the matter that when you get to the hospital you would want them to reattach that finger. I'm still slightly amazed that they can do that.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @imidazol97,
    Yup, Wisconsin.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    The ozone generator came in from Amazon last night, and I put it to use this afternoon. Most recommendations were for 1 to 2 hours use inside a car, depending on the size of the car and the capacity of the ozone generator. I decided on one hour, and I left the car running and the A/C on set to recirculate. I can always use it again if I need to.

There's something about leaving a car running, idling, unattended that just bothers me. Perhaps because I remember too many cars that would have overheated and blown up? At any rate, I did it, and no problems ensued. Afterwards, I left the Pacifica sitting in the driveway with all doors open for about 2.5 hours. The only smell I pick up right now is a chemical kind of smell that I believe is from the ozone.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@imidazol97,
    Yup, Wisconsin.

I have never heard anyone call Wisconsin Wisco. I have heard it called many things but not Wisco, Some good and some bad but never Wisco.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    henryn said:

The ozone generator came in from Amazon last night, and I put it to use this afternoon. Most recommendations were for 1 to 2 hours use inside a car, depending on the size of the car and the capacity of the ozone generator. I decided on one hour, and I left the car running and the A/C on set to recirculate. I can always use it again if I need to.

There's something about leaving a car running, idling, unattended that just bothers me. Perhaps because I remember too many cars that would have overheated and blown up? At any rate, I did it, and no problems ensued. Afterwards, I left the Pacifica sitting in the driveway with all doors open for about 2.5 hours. The only smell I pick up right now is a chemical kind of smell that I believe is from the ozone.

I've been waiting to see how it works for you. My only known experience with an ozone generator was the Comfort Inn in Flint MI decades ago did not reserve a non-smoking room for us. The only rooms they had were smoking rooms. So they put in an ozone generator for a few hours to get the room "fresh."

When we left, I could still smell the smoke on our clothes and things even after we got home. We should have just gone to another hotel for a much higher price.

Haven't stayed in one of that lodging groups locations since that awful experience.

So I am wondering if the smoke smell will slowly reappear after the ozone.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @henryn It is best not to leave the car running if it is in your garage :) ha ha.....assume you know that!
    I once heard it uses more oil, could wear out parts if you do it a lot. When I drove taxi cabs we seldom turned the cars off....we could sit for almost an hour waiting for a trip.....some of the taxi owners thought the cars lasted longer because they weren't getting turned off and on all the time.
    It shouldn't be a problem since you won't be doing it too often.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited May 2021
    As long as it doesn't overheat, and modern cars really shouldn't overheat from idling. Although I can definitely remember when they did, and I'm sure many others here can remember that as well. And no, it wasn't in the garage, definitely not. As to whether this will cure the problem (smell of stale cigarette smoke), only time will tell. Most of what I've been reading says it will do the job, but it may take more than one application. The trick being to do multiple passes, with none lasting more than 2 hours maximum.
  • Options
    henryn said:

Leaving a car running unattended can cause the car to end up somewhere else. Also a quick look on the internet brings up that in Texas, as in other places, it is illegal.

• Options
    so grab a lawn chair and a cooler of beer, and sit out there and watch it run.

• Options

henryn said:

Leaving a car running unattended can cause the car to end up somewhere else. Also a quick look on the internet brings up that in Texas, as in other places, it is illegal.
    I seriously doubt the police are going to show up and ticket me / arrest me for leaving my car idling in my own driveway. As for "end up somewhere else", the car was locked up. I do have two set of keys, or two key fobs, or however you want to say it. I did have to buy the second key fob separately, but I have it now.

• Options
    henryn said:

henryn said:

I seriously doubt the police are going to show up and ticket me / arrest me for leaving my car idling in my own driveway. As for "end up somewhere else", the car was locked up. I do have two set of keys, or two key fobs, or however you want to say it. I did have to buy the second key fob separately, but I have it now.

It's been known to happen.

• Options
    probably not so much in texas.

• Options
    What? The police showing up, or someone breaking the window and stealing the car? I think theft would be much more likely than trouble with the police, but theft is always a possibility. Heck, you gotta remember, you're talking to the guy who had the hood stolen off his new truck while it was sitting in his driveway. Yes, the very same driveway.
  • Options
    I meant the police stopping to ticket you for doing it.

• Options
    The police do not patrol this neighborhood. Now that we're being gentrified, that may change. But not so far.
  • Options
    I just realized that I can get engine oil, filters, and such delivered from WalMart, for free, with my Walmart Plus account. This saves the trouble of going to the store and then discovering they don't actually have the brand of oil you want, at the viscosity you want, in stock. And the price appears to be the same as in the store, $22.47 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1. This could be handy.
  • Options

henryn said:

I've been waiting to see how it works for you. My only known experience with an ozone generator was the Comfort Inn in Flint MI decades ago did not reserve a non-smoking room for us. The only rooms they had were smoking rooms. So they put in an ozone generator for a few hours to get the room "fresh."

When we left, I could still smell the smoke on our clothes and things even after we got home. We should have just gone to another hotel for a much higher price.

Haven't stayed in one of that lodging groups locations since that awful experience.

It’s funny how our perceptions change. Back in my misspent youth my heavy smoker buddy and I would sit in his car drinking beer and listening to heavy metal on the 8 track while he smoked cigarette after cigarette. It never bothered me at the time but now one little whiff makes me sick.

• Options
    driver100 said:

@henryn It is best not to leave the car running if it is in your garage :) ha ha.....assume you know that!
    I once heard it uses more oil, could wear out parts if you do it a lot. When I drove taxi cabs we seldom turned the cars off....we could sit for almost an hour waiting for a trip.....some of the taxi owners thought the cars lasted longer because they weren't getting turned off and on all the time.
    It shouldn't be a problem since you won't be doing it too often.

I’ve heard that long periods of idling cause some oil starvation in the top end. That’s why when buying government vehicles you consider every idle hour as 33 driving miles of wear.

• Options

henryn said:

It’s funny how our perceptions change. Back in my misspent youth my heavy smoker buddy and I would sit in his car drinking beer and listening to heavy metal on the 8 track while he smoked cigarette after cigarette. It never bothered me at the time but now one little whiff makes me sick.
    2 things stand out.....only "he", and "smoked cigarettes"

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

We’ll keep the light on for you!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

We’ll keep the light on for you!
    And now we know what happened to Tom Bodett.

• Options
    driver100 said:

henryn said:

2 things stand out.....only "he", and "smoked cigarettes"

All my friends smoked but for some reason it never appealed to me. Nor did the “other” smoke. Beer....now that’s a different story. B)

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

I received a call from the manager handling my case at Genesis Corporate late yesterday afternoon. He wanted to make sure the dealership’s service department contacted me regarding the new radio and if they are arranging to get my car in for service. I told him that they gave me an appointment for Monday morning. He responded that he would call me late Monday or Tuesday afternoon to follow up to make sure the new radio solved the communications issues. If so, he wants to discuss with me arrangements for compensation for all the trouble I went through. If the new radio did not solve the problems, he wants to discuss arranging for a replacement vehicle.

I have to admit, Genesis Corporate has been more responsive to me than Mercedes or BMW when I had issues. Branding is important to them and customer relations are the way to gain branding successes.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Genesis wants to get into luxury market and be competitive with MB, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, Infinity, and Audi. Hopefully the problem is the radio. If not it could be a sensor problem which means new car.
  • Options

@abacomike said:
    I received a call from the manager handling my case at Genesis Corporate late yesterday afternoon. He wanted to make sure the dealership’s service department contacted me regarding the new radio and if they are arranging to get my car in for service. I told him that they gave me an appointment for Monday morning. He responded that he would call me late Monday or Tuesday afternoon to follow up to make sure the new radio solved the communications issues. If so, he wants to discuss with me arrangements for compensation for all the trouble I went through. If the new radio did not solve the problems, he wants to discuss arranging for a replacement vehicle.

I have to admit, Genesis Corporate has been more responsive to me than Mercedes or BMW when I had issues. Branding is important to them and customer relations are the way to gain branding successes.

They were good to me during my random no start/no power issues too. That was in the infancy of Genesis, so good to hear they are still doing the same thing.

• Options
    What would be even better would be hearing that actual owners have no problems to report. But that's probably just a fantasy. Every car maker is going to have some problems. And now that cars have more and more electronics, controlled by computers, running software written by fallible humans ...
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    My son-in-law bought me a WiFi extender. My router which is on the first floor works pretty good but my daughter wants to work upstairs while she is here and and as such she wants a strong wifi and secure signal. He plugged in the extender on the first floor level in the middle of the house suggesting that it is the best location possible. Do you agree?
    So I have two questions for you techies (1) is upstairs a good place for a router as I was led to believe the broadcast signal is more efficient going from the top floor to a lower level and (2) would the wifi extender work better upstairs considering the sensitivity and security of her work.
    Original FIOS router Installed 2020.
    Here is an image of extender in question.

• Options
    abacomike said:

I

I am impressed....you don't hear about companies being that responsive these days. It took a long time for them to gain legitimacy in the medium priced market, looks like they learned their lesson if they want to get into the luxury car market.

• Options
    @bwia Sorry, I am of absolutely no help.....but that is one nice looking router...I like the color scheme.
    We are on one floor and needed an extender for streaming, we put it midway between the router and the TV and it made a big difference.....but that doesn't really answer your question unfortunately.

• Options
    bwia said:

My son-in-law bought me a WiFi extender. My router which is on the first floor works pretty good but my daughter wants to work upstairs while she is here and and as such she wants a strong wifi and secure signal. He plugged in the extender on the first floor level in the middle of the house suggesting that it is the best location possible. Do you agree?
    So I have two questions for you techies (1) is upstairs a good place for a router as I was led to believe the broadcast signal is more efficient going from the top floor to a lower level and (2) would the wifi extender work better upstairs considering the sensitivity and security of her work.
    Original FIOS router Installed 2020.
    Here is an image of extender in question.

This is going on my basic knowledge of this so take it for what it's worth. Best possible location of the extender being in the middle of the house? Most likely no, the best location would depend on where the router is and what area of the house needs the boost of signal. I would say anywhere in the house between your daughters workspace and the router where the routers original signature is still strong. You basically want to be as far from the router as possible but still get a good signal from it. Since router antennas are omni-directional the signal won't be more efficient going either way. As for the sensitivity of her work just make sure you have a strong password on your wifi.

• Options

I’d agree with the middle of the house for the extender. Strong signal in from below and then a stronger signal to the upstairs. Splits the difference.

Our house is 4,200 square ft. I have the router on the main floor and get great performance in my downstairs office and also the entire upstairs.

• Options
    First up, what you really want is a “mesh system” instead of a “network extender”.

Read here: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/wi-fi-range-extender-vs-mesh-network-whats-the-difference

As for the best location for the router, you want it as close to the center of your house as reasonably possible.

Routers send the signal out in all directions, so if it's left in the corner of your home, a significant percentage of your wireless coverage is being sent outside your home. It's best to move the router to a central location to optimize the signal.
    Installing a router across the house from the modem may prove troublesome. It may require manually running a CAT5 cable under the floor or enlisting the help of powerline network adapters. But the improved wireless coverage will be worth it.

And higher is better, as in high on a bookshelf or mounted on the wall.

Routers tend to spread signal downward, so it's best to mount the router as high as possible to maximize coverage. Try placing it high on a bookshelf or mounting it on the wall in an inconspicuous place.

If I were trying to cover a 2 story home with one router (no extender, no mesh), I would go for upstairs, in the center of the house.
  • Options

I looked into mesh systems, I also could go hardwired repeaters since most of the house has Ethernet jacks I could tap into. I decided against it since even at the furthest points away I get 200 mbps or more. That is fast enough for flawless video streaming and anything for work.

Closer to the router I’m well over 700, so if more speed is needed I’ll go with wired repeaters.

• Options
    mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Wired connections are the best way to go but not practical for everyone. The best system out there is wifi mesh 6 systems. When installing them you can find the best places in the house to position, signal strength, and check speed. Even the best systems can be limited as it is wifi. As mentioned above, the closer you are to the main router the better speed and signal.
  • Options
    My house is small (1,250 sq ft), and single story. No problem covering the entire house with a single router. I do have a hard wired connection to my computer, and another running around the house to the living room for my Nvidia Shield media player.
  • Options
    I believe I mentioned earlier about not being able to buy a cabin air filter locally, all 3 auto parts houses had "no stock". So I ordered the cheapest one on Amazon, and it came in this afternoon. Made by TYC, whom I've never heard of, but it looks the same and fits the same as the Mopar original in my 2019 Pacifica. I probably wouldn't buy an off brand air filter, and I definitely wouldn't buy an off brand oil filter. But cabin air filter? Sure, why not.
  • Options

@henryn said:
    My house is small (1,250 sq ft), and single story. No problem covering the entire house with a single router. I do have a hard wired connection to my computer, and another running around the house to the living room for my Nvidia Shield media player.

My house is 2350 soft and two stories, the router is near on corner of the first floor. I have no issue with coverage throughout the house.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@snakeweasel said:

@henryn said:

My house is 2350 soft and two stories, the router is near on corner of the first floor. I have no issue with coverage throughout the house.

My condo is 1350 sq ft. My router is in the back bedroom and I have concrete walls throughout the unit. I live and sleep in the front bedroom which only gets 2 bars of WiFi signal. Since I use Xfinity (Comcast) for TV and internet, I purchased 3 WiFi “pods” and plugged one into the living room, one in the dining room and one in my front bedroom (they plug into electrical outlets). Once they are programmed and Xfinity registered them, I get a full 3 bars of WiFi signal throughout the condo. I lose a little mbs’s by the time the signal reaches my bedroom, but I average 80 mbs farthest from the router and 250 mbs at the router.

2021 Genesis G90