Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

@bwia said:
    I just did a speed test on the Verizon network. Upstairs, I am getting 32 Mbps download speed and 26 Mbps upload. Downstairs, I am getting 52 Mbps download and 46 Mbps upload, close to the 50/50 Mbps promised by Verizon's FIOS. The downstairs speed is consistent with what I got in the past but upstairs it was always slower but not sure if they extender improved that performance. By the way, I have 10 Wifi devices on my network including two smart as C TVs. My house is about 2,850 square feet with 10' high ceilings, don't know if that makes a difference.

I don’t think we would survive with speeds that slow. Too much data in and out of our house.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

Leg 2 of transit extravaganza down. Drove fine from Albany to Boston. Darned thing even got 19mpg per the T.C. I’ll take that. All unloaded. But man, it’s really large for the tight streets in the north end!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Also got to try out sons new S4. Cool car. Noisy in sport mode with open exhaust and all the pops and burbles. I just drove home from bagel store so didn’t break 40. But can confirm that if you hammer it on an on ramp it grips like a cat on curtains. And if you redline it it sounds great. And 93 comes up real quick…. 😎

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2021
    stickguy said:

... it grips like a cat on curtains. .... 😎

LOL.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

driver100 said:

Don't tub fills flow directly into the tub? This one looks like it flows onto a flat surface
    and then the water would go somewhere, hopefully into a tub?
    Or is this another type of toe tester?
    @imidazol97 There is enough of a slope so the water will run to the drain....it doesn't take much. The drain is just out of the picture.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

Leg 2 of transit extravaganza down. Drove fine from Albany to Boston. Darned thing even got 19mpg per the T.C. I’ll take that. All unloaded. But man, it’s really large for the tight streets in the north end!

Those vans are truly made like cans. They feel like there is no suspension system, steering is completely numb, seat comfort is minimal.......but that was 5 years ago that I last rented one....are they any better today?
    And did you take the kid's car up to 93 mph, just on a bagel run?

He did. I didn’t.

The transit is vastly better than the old econolines. Seats are ok and the ride and maneuverability is pretty good. Tracks nicely on the highway. Really no issues driving on long distance. Only parking is an issue but and large vehicle has that.

And it holds a ton of stuff.

Parked behind the spot they just dug up because of a gas leak. Hopefully it doesn’t blow up.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

ab348 said:

For what it's worth, the is the CR ranking of the best car brands for 2021
    1. Mazda
    2. BMW
    3. Subaru
    4. Porsche
    5. Honda
    6. Lexus
    7. Toyota
    8. Chrysler
    9. Buick
    10. Hyundai

As I've said before, I'm always nervous when the pocket-protector nerds at CR like a car that I like; it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry finds out that the girl he was dating was dumped by Newman.

Unless something has changed, CR's reliability rankings are based upon surveys of the opinions of their subscribers. So it's even worse than you feared.
    Yes as far as I know they still do ranking on subscriber surveys. Confirmation bias creeps in.
    Some folks in the past on forums would argue to the death about how valid the CR surveys of automobile reliability were because they liked Toyota and Honda. Nevermind that the selection of respondents was not scientific or random. Nevermind the hit and miss, confirmation bias involved on the part of those who chose to respond. Nevermind the lack of generality of those who subscribe to CR. E.g., if I look at one it's usually online through a distant library that lets me read CR articles online.
    So, what do you suggest for an alternative?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    “ ...are they any better today?”

Believe me, they are not. The Transits are a little bit better but the Chevys are at least a 20 year old design. When I drive my cargo van it’s almost identical to a new one. They’re good for cargo but not for people.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Just don’t take it through any car washes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Believe me, they are not. The Transits are a little bit better but the Chevys are at least a 20 year old design. When I drive my cargo van it’s almost identical to a new one. They’re good for cargo but not for people.

Back in 1994 my wife bought a new (left over 93) Custom Chevy Van. 3/4 ton, with all of the usual custom van features, captain's chairs, sofa bed, TV with VCR, etc, etc. We put a lot of miles on that thing, 80k in 4 years as I recall. And I never minded driving it, and could sleep like a baby when it was the wife's turn to drive on long road trips.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

stickguy said:

I never knew a piece of uni-strut could do that unless that van was being driven like it was stolen.
    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

Next up is a complete remodel of the upstairs bathrooms.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

henryn said:

Back in 1994 my wife bought a new (left over 93) Custom Chevy Van. 3/4 ton, with all of the usual custom van features, captain's chairs, sofa bed, TV with VCR, etc, etc. We put a lot of miles on that thing, 80k in 4 years as I recall. And I never minded driving it, and could sleep like a baby when it was the wife's turn to drive on long road trips.
    The front seats aren’t too bad (mine are actually comfortable) but you wouldn’t want a long trip in the standard bench back seats. We’ve had more than one person bounce their head off the headliner when the van hit a bump. The seats themselves are punishing. A custom captain’s chair must be better.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@roadburner said:
    We have just about completed our outdoor renovations; we just added concrete borders to finish off the landscaping.

Nice! Very inviting entrance to your home - I like it!🤓

2021 Genesis G90

We have just about completed our outdoor renovations; we just added concrete borders to finish off the landscaping.

Very nice.

henryn said:

The front seats aren’t too bad (mine are actually comfortable) but you wouldn’t want a long trip in the standard bench back seats. We’ve had more than one person bounce their head off the headliner when the van hit a bump. The seats themselves are punishing. A custom captain’s chair must be better.
    Ours did not have a hard or stiff ride. And it was a 3/4 ton. Either they changed the suspension or the extra weight from the customization smoothed out the ride.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    @abacomike and @oldfarmer50
    Thanks. It's been a work in progress since 1992; Dad built the house in 1974 and we have tried to keep the Colonial character and theme while still adding some modern amenities.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

henryn said:

henryn said:

Ours did not have a hard or stiff ride. And it was a 3/4 ton. Either they changed the suspension or the extra weight from the customization smoothed out the ride.

Would you be willing to rent that van to Enterprise? The driver’s would be grateful.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I never knew a piece of uni-strut could do that unless that van was being driven like it was stolen.
    jmonroe
    I’m told by witnesses that it was a sight to behold.

stickguy said:

I wonder if one of these would drive better......

Does Chrysler make the same one with Chryslers name on it?

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2021
    No. Benz has always been a large cargo van manufacturer in its own right. Tractor trailers, too, by the way.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Good luck with yours.

We’re in the middle of doing 2 of those in the flip ourselves on the second floor and adding a 3rd in the basement plus a redo of a powder room on the first floor. Pretty soon we’re going to be good at doing this.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I saw a few of the MB models done up as campers by winnabego.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977

It’s only money,lol. Remodels are rewarding but can be a friendly challenge.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I’ve driven a few of the Sprinter vans. The torquey diesels are great in the city, but in all honesty I preferred the Ford van for longer drives.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

The spring time flora is so beautiful in this part of the country at this time of year. Wow, what a great entrance. Mrs. Roadburner must be proud on this mother's day.
    tjc78 said:

I’ve driven a few of the Sprinter vans. The torquey diesels are great in the city, but in all honesty I preferred the Ford van for longer drives.

This is a pretty good article comparing the 3 vans Amazon uses, Ford Transit, MB Sprinter and the RAM Promaster......they review each of them and tjc I can see why you would probably prefer the Ford model;
    www.motorbiscuit.com/these-are-the-vans-that-deliver-all-of-your-amazon-packages/
    Amazon has bought lots of vans but now they are making their own all electric vans with a company called Rivian....expect to have 10000 on the road this year. This is probably the future of delivery vans, they have 100000 on order;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4QLxoJvX4

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

That looks real nice. I particularly like the red trees. Maples I assume.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited May 2021

@roadburner said:
    @abacomike and @oldfarmer50
    Thanks. It's been a work in progress since 1992; Dad built the house in 1974 and we have tried to keep the Colonial character and theme while still adding some modern amenities.

So, it’s taken you 19 years to create a beautiful masterpiece of landscaping. RB, next time you have a project like this, get some help to speed things along.😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

My son called and told me that for Father's Day he's buying us tickets for the Cup Series race in Nashville. My bride helped out by getting reservations at a nice hotel only 30 minutes from the track. Sure as heck beats a tie or something similar.

That is very cool. I love Nashville. I make weekend trips several times/year. Have fun!
    Nashville is nice; I'm going down there a couple of weeks before the race for a seminar on DUI prosecutions and accident reconstruction. You may remember I went there a couple of years ago and the staged accident went awry and a decrepit Caprice almost hit my 2 Series...
    I do recall that story.

Sounds like a good work/pleasure trip. I’m headed back down that way in a couple of weeks, myself!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Happy Mother’s Day to all our wonderful mothers and moms! Happy Birthday to @fintail and me, who share the same 5/9 date, though I am a lot older. Cheers to a wonderful day!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Don't tub fills flow directly into the tub? This one looks like it flows onto a flat surface
    @imidazol97 There is enough of a slope so the water will run to the drain....it doesn't take much. The drain is just out of the picture.

That spout is the toe check. I thought it was a regular tub filler spout at first.
    The tile in the picture is the floor of the shower.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

That spout is the toe check. I thought it was a regular tub filler spout at first.
    You got it.....exactly!
    (The spout of course is on the wall - the larger tiles, and the drain is on the smaller tiles which is the floor.)

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You got it.....exactly!
    (The spout of course is on the wall - the larger tiles, and the drain is on the smaller tiles which is the floor.)
    At first I thought the small tile squares were a ledge around the tub and I assumed the spigot was the tub fill. LOL. I have seen tub surrounds done with small tile like that, so I connected those concepts.

@sda said:
    Happy Mother’s Day to all our wonderful mothers and moms! Happy Birthday to @fintail and me, who share the same 5/9 date, though I am a lot older. Cheers to a wonderful day!

Happy Birthday to you both!

tjc78 said:

@sda said:

+1

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

@sda said:

+1

And another Happy Birthday to the both of you!
    sda said:

Yes, there are a few mothers in here. ;)

jmonroe

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

You got it.....exactly!
    At first I thought the small tile squares were a ledge around the tub and I assumed the spigot was the tub fill. LOL. I have seen tub surrounds done with small tile like that, so I connected those concepts.

It helps when you orient your monitor/phone correctly. :s

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,142
    hey thanks!
    sda said:

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

@sda said:

+1

I hope you guys remember that @ab348 and I have a birthday a day or two apart in July. I think I jumped the gun with this but not sure.

jmonroe

Just returned from visiting my Mother’s and Grandmother’s graves - 102 mile round-trip. At 65 mph in cruise control on the Turnpike I averaged 31.6 mpg each way. That is phenomenal fuel economy for a car that the EPA claims only gets 24 mpg on the highway. Remember my car only has 900 miles on the odometer and isn’t even close to being broken in.

Why would the EPA be 25% off actual fuel economy? And here I thought I was driving a gas guzzler. But economy around town is not good - 19 mpg is what I average on short trips in town.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Just returned from visiting my Mother’s and Grandmother’s graves - 102 mile round-trip. At 65 mph in cruise control on the Turnpike I averaged 31.6 mpg each way. That is phenomenal fuel economy for a car that the EPA claims only gets 24 mpg on the highway. Remember my car only has 900 miles on the odometer and isn’t even close to being broken in.

Why would the EPA be 25% off actual fuel economy? And here I thought I was driving a gas guzzler. But economy around town is not good - 19 mpg is what I average on short trips in town.

Once you get your new, everything tied to it radio, the gas mileage calculation will be corrected. :'(

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:
    Once you get your new, everything tied to it radio, the gas mileage calculation will be corrected. :'(

jmonroe

Car goes into service tomorrow morning for the installation of the “multi-faceted” radio which will hopefully fix the communications problem with the car’s outside world. Maybe the great fuel economy will remain “untouched!” 🤓😜🤪

2021 Genesis G90

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Good luck with this abacomike.

@mlevine said:
    Good luck with this abacomike.

Thanks, mlevine!🤓

2021 Genesis G90