Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    henryn said:

As for “needing a pickup”, I remember someone here in these forums, a few years back, remarking, “90% of everything you will ever do with a car you could do with a Honda Fit”. Truer words.

Need/want…potato potahto to this group!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I've rented a few BMWs over the years. Thinking back: black/black, black/black, dark red/tan, white/brown, white/black.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

BMW made a color back in the mid - late ‘90s called Montreal Blue that was stunning.

I never new how much I needed a pickup until I leased one. Did I get it because I like the way it looks (fake hood scoop & all)? Yes. Did I get it because it was an insanely good deal? Yes. Do I love having a pickup? Absolutely. It’s also been a life saver at work.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited May 2021
    Monaco, Orient and Estoril are some of my favorites. And I get you on the truck. Taco, Gladiator, Ridgeline, Santa Cruz and Maverick will all get a hard look from me.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

tjc78 said:

I loved my 2000 Solara (XLE V6 auto)

I always thought those were a thinly disguised Lexus. Loved that body style!
    It's just a Camry Coupe I think......
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    nyccarguy said:

BMW made a color back in the mid - late ‘90s called Montreal Blue that was stunning.

I never new how much I needed a pickup until I leased one. Did I get it because I like the way it looks (fake hood scoop & all)? Yes. Did I get it because it was an insanely good deal? Yes. Do I love having a pickup? Absolutely. It’s also been a life saver at work.

My son's E36 M3 was repainted in Montreal Blue. Very nice

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Speaking of old BMW colors

I guess in a world where a 200K house is now 500K, a $500 hooptie is now $2000, and a 55K salary is now 60K (see what I did there), this makes sense.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    fintail said:

I guess in a world where a 200K house is now 500K, a $500 hooptie is now $2000, and a 55K salary is now 60K (see what I did there), this makes sense.

I was thinking salary $55k, but yes, the sad reality.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    My current BMW's blue is my [current] favorite
    of the colors I have had...
    "Portimao blau metallic (C31)"
    - Ray
    Happy with everything else about it as well...
    2022 X3 M40i
    fintail said:

Wah??

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Just saw a (Canadian) commercial for the Jeep Grand Cherokee offering 10% off MRSP plus $2500 in incentives. Must be one of the few vehicles with ample inventory.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited May 2021
    Well done! You're now among the elite. I got into trouble the last time I said much more. I think I offended people who went to "the guy" to get a fuse replaced.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

My BIL suggested we should get a lift. I suspect that’s the threshold at which we do more harm than good…

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Project for today. My BIL has a near-mint 2005 G35 coupe with 137k miles. Looks and drives like it has 1/4 the mileage. Earlier in the week threw CEL and VDC lights and was cranking terribly. Plugged in my OBD reader and it turns out camshaft position sensor for bank 2 (driver’s side) was kaput. YouTube said it was fairly straightforward to replace and it was!

Removed the air box, intake tubing, MAF, and throttle body. Swapped out the sensor, put it all back together, and cleared the codes. Done in under an hour for $65 in parts. As lead “mechanic” I of course took it out for a proper rom-I mean- test drive. These VQ engines are wonderful.

My wife and SIL were quite impressed with us.

Best motor (and all of its variants) Nissan ever made. And, in the best platform Nissan every made.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@28firefighter said:
    Project for today. My BIL has a near-mint 2005 G35 coupe with 137k miles. Looks and drives like it has 1/4 the mileage. Earlier in the week threw CEL and VDC lights and was cranking terribly. Plugged in my OBD reader and it turns out camshaft position sensor for bank 2 (driver’s side) was kaput. YouTube said it was fairly straightforward to replace and it was!

Removed the air box, intake tubing, MAF, and throttle body. Swapped out the sensor, put it all back together, and cleared the codes. Done in under an hour for $65 in parts. As lead “mechanic” I of course took it out for a proper rom-I mean- test drive. These VQ engines are wonderful.

Excellent job!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

VERY brave! That car could have caught fire and blown up the entire house and garage!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2021
    Okay, so I'm really going back and forth on this one: 2018 440i xDrive
    Yes, there's a ding on the Carfax, but my SA friend can inspect the car for me. There can't be many F32 M Sport cars with three pedals and the THP- xDrive or otherwise. I absolutely love the interior, and I'm hoping one of those magic Ceramic paint coatings could help keep the Black Sapphire Metallic paint looking decent. The only other thing I see is that the rear bumper needs a bit of TLC and one wheel needs a touch up. It has a Bavarian ponycar vibe to it-reminding me of my father's 1965 Mustang that boasted a black over red color scheme.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    Yes, there's a ding on the Carfax, but my SA friend can inspect the car for me. There can't be many F32 M Sport cars with three pedals and the THP- xDrive or otherwise. I absolutely love the interior, and I'm hoping one of those magic Ceramic paint coatings could help keep the Black Sapphire Metallic paint looking decent. The only other thing I see is that the rear bumper needs a bit of TLC and one wheel needs a touch up. It has a Bavarian ponycar vibe to it-reminding me of my father's 1965 Mustang that boasted a black over red color scheme.

Me likey

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

@roadburner said:

Poor condition rating and they overpaid. Just fyi.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    The car looks great @breld, very sharp and I agree on the color, enjoy it!!!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Nice interior on that one!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2021
    @breld, nice - hope you enjoy and it’s exclusivity! Keep us updated on it.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Congrats @breld

Really nice! Thunder Grey really works on that car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Congrats @breld! Looks great.++
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    That's a nice interior, @breld. Oddly enough, I went to their Canadian website (they only have 3 dealers in the entire country right now) and that color/material doesn't seem to be available with that paint here.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "2021 Polestar 2"
    I particularly like the seat trim.
    - Ray
    Many happy smiles to ya!
    2022 X3 M40i
    breld said:

Took delivery of the Polestar yesterday. All the paperwork was completed ahead of time, so it all went smoothly. They don’t have their credit card system set up yet, so they didn’t even collect the first lease payment - the sales manager said she’d call me when they are set up.

Since it was the first order - plus I let them know this was my 10th purchase form their dealership network - their general manager was there to say hi and congratulate me. They had a bottle of champagne and a couple of gift cards to a local massage spa for us. Fun experience.

I let the salesperson go through all the features and tech, which took about an hour. It was helpful, plus he wanted to go through it with me since it was his first delivery too.

Few obligatory pics - love this Thunder Gray color. Sort of a pale gray in some lights, but has a strong blue hue in others. I love the look of the frameless side view mirrors - the entire mirror body is what adjusts, as opposed to just the mirror insert. The interior is pretty plain looking - very Scandinavian - but the materials are actually quite interesting. I like the feel of the vegan seat material. The Android Automotive system is slick and very quick to operate. But I still look forward to Apple CarPlay which is still to come in a software update.

Great color!

Replaced the cabin air filter in my dad’s wagon this afternoon. Whoever decided that 30k miles is the correct interval for that should be beaten. I had to vacuum out driver and passenger sides just to see where everything went back together there was so much debris.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

Replaced the cabin air filter in my dad’s wagon this afternoon. Whoever decided that 30k miles is the correct interval for that should be beaten. I had to vacuum out driver and passenger sides just to see where everything went back together there was so much debris.

I've rarely seen them severely dirty. If he paid someone to do it 30k ago, I'd question whether it got done, or whether they just reset the light.
    edited May 2021
    This color is gorgeous on the GTO, but it and everything in their inventory seems extremely overpriced. Peep the 1991 Cavalier wagon for sale with an asking price of nearly 20k--and it appears to have few if any factory options!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited May 2021
    corvette said:

I've rarely seen them severely dirty. If he paid someone to do it 30k ago, I'd question whether it got done, or whether they just reset the light.
    For cabin air filters (and air filters) the results will depend to a great degree where you drive. Dry, dusty roads, especially dirt or gravel, are going to pick up a lot more than cruising down the interstate. It also seems to depend on where the air intake is, relative to the ground. I found actual twigs in the cabin air filter on this ex-rental Pacifica, which seemed to be original at 61k miles. And the air filter appeared to be original Mopar, rather dirty, but no twigs. Lot of sand in the air box too. I would assume that Hertz changed the oil whenever the service light came on (+/- 10k miles), but nothing else.

One of the youtube videos that I watched, looking for information on removing the smell of cigarettes, the videographer showed a cabin air filter that was about as filthy as any filter I have ever seen. I would have been reluctant to get inside the car after seeing that cabin air filter.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

He hasn’t had the car for more than 10k. I’m guessing someone just reset the light.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    corvette said:

This color is gorgeous on the GTO, but it and everything in their inventory seems extremely overpriced. Peep the 1991 Cavalier wagon for sale with an asking price of nearly 20k--and it appears to have few if any factory options!

I do like that color on the GTO.

But there is absolutely no world where a 1990's Cavalier is worth their asking price. Maybe move the decimal one place to the left and it would be worth considering. Maybe.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Find out what market value is for a clean one and then offer 20% less because of the accident. Definitely make correcting the dings a condition of sale. Is $47k a good price for that?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited May 2021
    corvette said:

Is that what a 15 yo GTO goes for? Seems expensive. Gorgeous car, beautiful color. Those dark reds really get me interested.

If you like old Cavaliers there are some around that are cheaper but still not cheap.
    https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/oneco-1999-z24-cavalier-conv-original/7317439266.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That Cavalier wagon is hilarious, is the hipster flipper old car thing that out of control now?

Speaking of low mileage oldies, a lot more money, but a lot more car - this actually isn't seriously insane, in that it isn't 3x real value anyway.
    henryn said:

corvette said:

For cabin air filters (and air filters) the results will depend to a great degree where you drive. Dry, dusty roads, especially dirt or gravel, are going to pick up a lot more than cruising down the interstate. It also seems to depend on where the air intake is, relative to the ground. I found actual twigs in the cabin air filter on this ex-rental Pacifica, which seemed to be original at 61k miles. And the air filter appeared to be original Mopar, rather dirty, but no twigs. Lot of sand in the air box too. I would assume that Hertz changed the oil whenever the service light came on (+/- 10k miles), but nothing else.

One of the youtube videos that I watched, looking for information on removing the smell of cigarettes, the videographer showed a cabin air filter that was about as filthy as any filter I have ever seen. I would have been reluctant to get inside the car after seeing that cabin air filter.
    Anything in those videos about getting mouse odor out of a car. I took the convertible out of the barn today and there had been “visitors”. No wires chewed than goodness.

edited May 2021
    I have yet to see a Polestar on the road - I suspect I will eventually, as it seems to also match PNW tastes. Interesting mirrors, which appear to have a very minor bezel, I wonder if that will impact how they get dirty. Might be an illusion, but from inside the pillars look really thick, black plastic accent in the rear door bugs me a little. I've read the "chip shortage" impacts digital displays, so maybe that one got out before stuff hit the fan. Congrats on it, nice style that looks to have some AWD ability but isn't exaggerated faux-butch outdoorsy cosplay.
    edited May 2021

If you like old Cavaliers there are some around that are cheaper but still not cheap.
    https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/oneco-1999-z24-cavalier-conv-original/7317439266.html

I'm not into old Cavaliers, but for someone who just wants a well maintained car for open air motoring and doesn't care about driving dynamics, $6,250 is at least an asking price I think could be negotiated down to something reasonable-ish.

henryn said:

corvette said:

Anything in those videos about getting mouse odor out of a car. I took the convertible out of the barn today and there had been “visitors”. No wires chewed than goodness.
    From my experience in the Tundra, you have to find the "source" and clean it. There was a nest in the cabin air filter. Maybe check the HVAC system?
    edited May 2021

The one in my Clubman was a mess; I don't believe that it had ever been changed.

corvette said:

The GTO was a nice drive, but I could never get past the "Mutated Cavalier" stying theme.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    Cool looking Polestart. Good luck with it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

corvette said:

henryn said:

corvette said:

From my experience in the Tundra, you have to find the "source" and clean it. There was a nest in the cabin air filter. Maybe check the HVAC system?
    I think cleaning is going to be the key. Everything I read, every video I watched about the cigarette smoke, emphasized cleaning thoroughly as the first step. If you were a little closer, I would be happy to loan you this ozone generator for the final stage. Hey, Road Trip!

edited May 2021

corvette said:

The GTO was a nice drive, but I could never get past the "Mutated Cavalier" stying theme.
    Man, I don't know. Specs like this could easily get me "past" a "Mutated Cavalier styling theme"

ON EDIT: I think it would make a lot more sense to just buy a new Mustang GT.

@breld - congrats on the polestar! I’ll echo the others’ compliments on Thunder Grey. Beautiful! Looking forward to hearing your experiences with it!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Breld, only word which comes to mind is, OUTSTANDING! I'd love one of those to be honest but think size is going to be an issue. I'm seriously leaning more & more towards the new Chevy Bolt model that should be out in the marketplace later this year. There will be two different models and I'd go with the smaller one. Right now, even with a smallish range of 259, I'd be the perfect consumer to purchase/lease one of them. I really don't mind the looks to be honest, I could live with one for the long term if necessary. Will be very interested to test drive one once they come out and the early adopters get their vehicles. Will be interesting to see what the feds do with the rebates and if in fact they actually help make these affordable for the common man like myself. Price it around the $26K mark or not to much above that, and I'll sign on the dotted line even now.
    This is something that I'm pretty excited about and that hasn't happened to me since the week before I bought the Golf. I think I could let it go for the right Bolt model at the right price. Think I've come a long way here!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Have been debating with myself about taking on this new shuttle drivers gig, and it's something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Ever since I left the post office I think and that was almost eleven years ago! I'm super happy at Enterprise and have no plans on leaving there. In fact, my old lead driver at Hertz called me on Friday to see if I'd be up to coming back and working with him! Was nice to hear but told him there's no way I'd ever do that drive for a job again as I'm spoiled with a short commute now. Did mention about the job at the Toyota store though and he was happy.
    If I pass the urine test tomorrow and they in fact let me start on Saturday, think I'll give it a whirl. I just want to see how it goes and if it's everything I hoped it would be. And if not or if the hours get to be too much, I can always see about a reduction in those or leave altogether. I just hate to give up an opportunity on something I've wanted for a long time before I've actually done it for a few days. Personally, I think I'm going to really like it and those couple of afternoons right now, I do nothing to speak of except rest, watch t v or surf the web. It's really wasted hours so making a few extra bucks doing something I love to do might be worth it. My wife has already gone over the pros and cons with me and on paper at least, the pros outweigh the cons. She agrees with me to just give it a shot as I'll always be wondering about it if I say no before I even start. And really, I totally agree here. Just give it a shot and see where I land. But I think I'm going to like it fine. And if not, I'll just stop. But I have to at least try...I've got to do at least that!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)