Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

My BIL suggested we should get a lift. I suspect that’s the threshold at which we do more harm than good…

Well, if you made it through the post-repair test drive and didn't need a lift, then you'll be fine without one. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Replaced the cabin air filter in my dad’s wagon this afternoon. Whoever decided that 30k miles is the correct interval for that should be beaten. I had to vacuum out driver and passenger sides just to see where everything went back together there was so much debris.

I replace mine every year, and they look just straight up awful each and every time. For reference, that's about 15,000 miles per go.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Congrats on the Polestar @breld.

Looking forward to your real world experience with it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

This happened Friday. No problem. My wife pulled into a shopping center & called AAA. They came promptly and put the doughnut on for her. She’s been relegated to local driving with the Pilot since then. I ordered a new tire from Tire Rack that I will have mounted & balanced when it gets here today.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

The Cadillac dealer in my old group just took in a 2021 M2 Competition with less than 3,000 miles on it. My dealer actually sold it in January. Looks to be a case of wearer’s remorse. Long Beach Blue is not my favorite color and I’d prefer three pedals, but I could live with it. I need to see if it has the Executive Package and doesn’t have a sunroof.
    This is the dealer with the addled UCM who would inevitably bark out “How come you didn’t buy it here?” when someone from my store would bring a Cadillac to him to be appraised, so I’m not particularly hopeful about dealing with them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Okay, so I'm really going back and forth on this one: 2018 440i xDrive
    Yes, there's a ding on the Carfax, but my SA friend can inspect the car for me. There can't be many F32 M Sport cars with three pedals and the THP- xDrive or otherwise. I absolutely love the interior, and I'm hoping one of those magic Ceramic paint coatings could help keep the Black Sapphire Metallic paint looking decent. The only other thing I see is that the rear bumper needs a bit of TLC and one wheel needs a touch up. It has a Bavarian ponycar vibe to it-reminding me of my father's 1965 Mustang that boasted a black over red color scheme.

Well…red interior. Pull the trigger.

I just saw a lengthy YouTube video posted by a pro detailer. He tested a whole bucket full of synthetic and ceramic waxes. Some weren’t worth the bottle they came in. But, he was amazed that Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wax did so well, and was his winner of the “shoot out”. It was cheap, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    corvette said:

This color is gorgeous on the GTO, but it and everything in their inventory seems extremely overpriced. Peep the 1991 Cavalier wagon for sale with an asking price of nearly 20k--and it appears to have few if any factory options!

I test drove that gen GTO a couple of times. Essentially a corvette with a back seat, but much more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. I liked them, a lot. Never pulled the trigger on one since the dealerships I visited seemed to forget they were a Pontiac dealership and not a Bentley dealership.
    @breld …..very, very nice. Beautiful. Big congrats!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@graphicguy said:
    Well…red interior. Pull the trigger.

I just saw a lengthy YouTube video posted by a pro detailer. He tested a whole bucket full of synthetic and ceramic waxes. Some weren’t worth the bottle they came in. But, he was amazed that Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wax did so well, and was his winner of the “shoot out”. It was cheap, too.

The fact that the dealer paid too much takes it off the table, unfortunately.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2021

@graphicguy
    Would you post the link to the review. Sounds interesting.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    back to one car again. Having the cargo van really points out how convenient having something in the fleet that can haul bulky stuff is. That of course was overkill. The RDX is pretty useful, but when you need to tote bigger or dirty items (like an assembled gas grill or a bunch of bags of dirt) not so much. A compact PU really might be the ticket.

Or a sports car though neither one of us was a fan of having to crawl in/out of the low slung sporty S4, and that is still a lot better than most sports cars! I think if I was getting something like that, I would lean more toward an SQ3 or SQ5. Still fast/noisy/fun, but lots more comfortable and higher. Plus hopefully more tire sidewall, because man, some of the roads (especially in NY) are just horrid.

worst on my trip was a stretch of I684 approaching I287. Entire lane looked (and felt) like it had been used for artillery practice. I don't know if the S4 with 35 series tires would have survived it! going up there, the big truck meats are comforting.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

back to one car again. Having the cargo van really points out how convenient having something in the fleet that can haul bulky stuff is. That of course was overkill. The RDX is pretty useful, but when you need to tote bigger or dirty items (like an assembled gas grill or a bunch of bags of dirt) not so much. A compact PU really might be the ticket.

Or a sports car though neither one of us was a fan of having to crawl in/out of the low slung sporty S4, and that is still a lot better than most sports cars! I think if I was getting something like that, I would lean more toward an SQ3 or SQ5. Still fast/noisy/fun, but lots more comfortable and higher. Plus hopefully more tire sidewall, because man, some of the roads (especially in NY) are just horrid.

worst on my trip was a stretch of I684 approaching I287. Entire lane looked (and felt) like it had been used for artillery practice. I don't know if the S4 with 35 series tires would have survived it! going up there, the big truck meats are comforting.

Who did you rent from?

Did UHaul have a different rate after a certain number of miles which lower the cost of high mileage use? They did when I used one to move Imid Jr in and out of apartments at Ohio State. Last short trip I used UHaul for was $19 da and 99 cents per mile!

stickguy said:

I completely agree. Currently we have been gifted some firewood and 2 large hydrangeas for the lake house and I need to take a new wine fridge up there.

nyccarguy said:

This happened Friday. No problem. My wife pulled into a shopping center & called AAA. They came promptly and put the doughnut on for her. She’s been relegated to local driving with the Pilot since then. I ordered a new tire from Tire Rack that I will have mounted & balanced when it gets here today.

Ouchies!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited May 2021
    nyccarguy said:

You get delivery that fast in Alaska? On something as big as a new tire?

ON EDIT: Oops, my bad, for some reason I thought this post was by xwesx
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    nyccarguy said:

Bummer, that tire looks new. Are you considering the Explorer as a replacement?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Yes, tire looks pretty new. But that sidewall can't be patched, so onto a brand new tire. T P patched the A3's tire Saturday, we left it overnight as to make things easier on us...and them. We just wanted it back Saturday afternoon if possible. Said we needed some new sneakers, which I already knew, so now we have two estimates, one for just replacing two right now with a Bridgestone or replacing three of the same kind as the one good tire really ain't that old, sometime in 2020 we got it. Letting the boss decide what she wants to do on this one but I'd just get the three and be done with it. Think she has one more week left at TurboTax so guess she'll do it by then.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Been a rough few weeks for the Pilot.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    When it rains it it pours sometimes. But it's only a tire and no damage to the vehicle or his wife. Stuff happens and then we move on because more stuff is going to happen and this will just be a distant memory. Just too bad it had to happen when the vehicle might be gone soon to begin with!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited May 2021
    henryn said:

You get delivery that fast in Alaska? On something as big as a new tire?

ON EDIT: Oops, my bad, for some reason I thought this post was by xwesx

Just to ease the curiosity.... No, and Yes. If, of course, we're willing to pay for it. $200 for a tire... $200 for shipping. So, we pay twice as much for it to take three times as long to arrive. :D
    My truck rental was through Hertz. They just treat them as any other rental (like a car) and all come with unlimited miles. U Haul, either rent local and pay the $.79-$.99 hit per miles (plus the big $19.99/day they paint on the truck!) or they quote a 1-way. That in the past was always cheaper per mile, but this time, was actually higher for the usage (you just get killed coming home). I never asked if they had a lower per mile charge for going further, but I doubt it would make that much of a difference. At least now I know if I need one again Hertz is a great option to U Haul.

Pilot must have heard you talking about replacements. Getting even.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    qbrozen said:

So... just joking around a couple of weeks ago, I said to the wife, "hey, we could get you a Maserati Ghibli pretty cheap [used]." She says, "just fix the Benz and I'll drive that." Fast forward to yesterday afternoon while on the road, we pass by a white Ghibli and she says, "hey, what about one of those?" .... why, honey, that's an interesting idea.

Of course, I pointed out that the feed and care could be a PITA. She said, "could it be worse than the Mercedes sitting idle in my garage?" Touche.

Wives have the sharpest knives, you get cut and don’t realize it immediately and then you bleed. Lol

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited May 2021
    qbrozen said:

So... just joking around a couple of weeks ago, I said to the wife, "hey, we could get you a Maserati Ghibli pretty cheap [used]." She says, "just fix the Benz and I'll drive that." Fast forward to yesterday afternoon while on the road, we pass by a white Ghibli and she says, "hey, what about one of those?" .... why, honey, that's an interesting idea.

Of course, I pointed out that the feed and care could be a PITA. She said, "could it be worse than the Mercedes sitting idle in my garage?" Touche.

A Maserati sitting idle at the dealer could be worse than a MB sitting idle in the garage. We had a few Maserati Quattroportes in the fleet and they were fun to drive but the down side was that we were always driving them to the shop for repairs.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    qbrozen said:

Mrs. Car Wizard seems to really like the Levante they picked up.

@sda - yes I am considering an Explorer XLT as a replacement. Maybe I’ll reach out to the dealer that seems to have an incoming unit that meets my specs tomorrow.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Mow that Explorer XLT's have been brought up, my son in laws mom had a leased 2018.
    She extended the lease for a while because she couldn't find a new one she liked, but eventually couldn't extend it any more.
    The dealer had her buy it, bought it from her and gave her some cash.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    nyccarguy said:

Donut tire off, new tire & scuffed up wheel on. I know, I know. Not all heroes wear capes & cowls ;)

Start deducting for the scuffed up wheel--the used car lots are just overflowing with inventory right now! :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@corvette said:
    Mrs. Car Wizard seems to really like the Levante they picked up.

Those have definitely not depreciated enough.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@oldfarmer50 said:
    A Maserati sitting idle at the dealer could be worse than a MB sitting idle in the garage. We had a few Maserati Quattroportes in the fleet and they were fun to drive but the down side was that we were always driving them to the shop for repairs.

The suppressed optimist in me recognizes that you could actually drive it to the shop. :D

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I have a dream to track a quattro car with 4 donut tires on it. Should be fun and interesting.. Certainly worth a You Tube video gone viral.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@graphicguy

Let me see if I can chase it down. I didn’t make a note of which site had the tests, but it was pretty extensive with a lot of brands in the test.

It was one of those nights where I got deep into the YouTube Rabbit hole.

@graphicguy

Let me see if I can chase it down. I didn’t make a note of which site had the tests, but it was pretty extensive with a lot of brands in the test.

Perhaps this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    I would take that Volvo. Just not liking the price. Would be even better if it was a V50!

Interesting time we are living through to say the least. I just got quoted $749/month with $800 DAS for 24 months/19,500 miles per year with 6.35% tax rolled into the payment for a 2021 Explorer XLT. MSRP of $43,955 with a selling price of $42,455 (sticker minus rebate). Marked up interest rate (0.6%) as opposed to the buy rate of 0.15%.

edited May 2021
    henryn said:

@graphicguy

Perhaps this one?

It fits. Thanks.

When I looked on Turtle Wax's website I found lots of products with ceramic in the name, so I was curious which was a really good product.
    https://turtlewax.com/collections/wax-seal-coat
    Interesting that now I've seen the video, the Mothers, Brazilian wax I last used along with a Mothers spray detailer actually do pretty well until the video person starts abusing the finishes.
    In re the Mothers Brazilian, there are two steps in the Mothers line that are to be used ahead of that product which might make it even more resiliant. I think it's part of a 3-step process. i went through that 3-step stuff ONCE and was done with all that work. Too much work.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    nyccarguy said:

Interesting time we are living through to say the least. I just got quoted $749/month with $800 DAS for 24 months/19,500 miles per year with 6.35% tax rolled into the payment for a 2021 Explorer XLT. MSRP of $43,955 with a selling price of $42,455 (sticker minus rebate). Marked up interest rate (0.6%) as opposed to the buy rate of 0.15%.

:o

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

nyccarguy said:

I was afraid of that. At least you have the luxury of time. I know the oil issue was concerning but its not like its left the Pilot noticeably worse in the short term. May have to be patient which is the bane of any good CCBA’er!

And yes that ‘deal’ is absolute, well you know…

I’m not a Volvo enthusiast but I like the looks of that. I’ve given up commenting on prices since we entered the used car Twilight zone.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

Hey, the quote button is back!!! :)

In regards to your lease quote, that is a lot of miles (19,500 per year), and a short term (24 months). I believe the more common scenario is 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, which should be less. But probably still way too d___ high.

henryn said:

@graphicguy

Perhaps this one?

It fits. Thanks.

When I looked on Turtle Wax's website I found lots of products with ceramic in the name, so I was curious which was a really good product.
    https://turtlewax.com/collections/wax-seal-coat
    Interesting that now I've seen the video, the Mothers, Brazilian wax I last used along with a Mothers spray detailer actually do pretty well until the video person starts abusing the finishes.
    In re the Mothers Brazilian, there are two steps in the Mothers line that are to be used ahead of that product which might make it even more resiliant. I think it's part of a 3-step process. i went through that 3-step stuff ONCE and was done with all that work. Too much work.

I went through the agony of Mother’s 3-step wax years ago and it looked good. Then I found Turtle Wax Wash and Wax which worked even better and never looked back.
    For a real shine I use Meguires Ultimate Fast Finish after a wash. Seems to shine the best.
    I’ve come to the conclusion that ease of application is worth more than an extra little bit of shine.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    nyccarguy said:

If you bought it with no money down and put it over 72 months at that interest rate I think your payment would be something like $630/mo.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I went through the agony of Mother’s 3-step wax years ago and it looked good. Then I found Turtle Wax Wash and Wax which worked even better and never looked back.
    For a real shine I use Meguires Ultimate Fast Finish after a wash. Seems to shine the best.
    I’ve come to the conclusion that ease of application is worth more than an extra little bit of shine.

I tend to agree with you when it's me doing the heavy lifting. But around here, I can get a hand wash and wax for around $25. I supply the place and all equipment, someone else provides the labor. Everyone is happy, and my car looks really good.

Quick rodo check, a $42,200 sticker XLT IS $733/$733 for 24 months, 18k/year miles.

So in the ballpark!

That will pay for a lot of oil changes on the Pilot!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Or just buy it and finance it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    nyccarguy said:

Probably cheaper to buy, especially if you can tough it out and keep it longer than 24 months.