Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

driver100 said:

I think if I answered a CR review of my car I would try to be as objective and truthful as possible. If I had no problems and I liked my car a lot I might be a bit bias toward favoring the car, and the opposite if I didn't like it. But, I have nothing to gain by making stuff up. I wouldn't believe the results 100% but if 60% of respondence said they didn't like the CVT because it felt weird, I'd want to know that, and I would believe it.
    I don't think it is the ultimate decider, but the information can be very helpful if used wisely.

The thing is is that people tend to answer surveys based of perception and not reality. Say you buy a particular car due to the fact that everyone raves about the car, everyone you know that has one has great experiences with it and all the reviews are great you are more likely to give a positive review regardless of your actual experience.
    Doesn't that work in reverse though too? Say everyone says a car is a POS, everyone you know has a crap ton of problems with it, and the reviews are poor. Does that make you more likely to pan the car regardless of your actual experience?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    abacomike said:

:'(:s:(:o Well, it would seem that the "saga" of the Genesis G90 will continue another day or two. As you know, when they installed the new radio system, it fixed the communications problem but created another problem - the rear cameras and the 360 degree overhead image is not working. The last update I got from the dealership's service manager was that the engineers in California have made contact with the radio's manufacturer in order the acquire certain "variant codes" to enable the cameras in the rear. This has been a truly unbelievable experience - Genesis Corporate has been right on this from the beginning and was instrumental in getting the dealership to take the car in and fix it - or at least try to fix it. It's the dealership's service department that is awful.

As soon as the technical engineers in California get those codes, they will get them to the dealership so they can enable the cameras. Before I take that car home, I am going to sit in it and check out every system in that car to make sure everything works. I mean wipers, washers, lights, cameras, sunroof, memory seats, ventilated and heated seats, radio sound and quality, Bluetooth, etc., etc., etc. I wouldn't trust this dealership's service department to put a lug nut on one of my wheels.

We shall see. I was supposed to get a call from Genesis Corporate this afternoon, but have not received a call yet. Should be interesting to see what he has to say about this debacle and fiasco. :@ :o:(:s:'(

A Hyundai/Kia dealership is awful..... you don't say! That makes 2 of us.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@snakeweasel said:

Actually it would be a subjective survey as self reporting surveys are notoriously inaccurate due to confirmation bias.

I’ve dealt with polls/surveys in the political realm and I know a voluntary survey open to all is rarely-if ever-accurate. In the case of CR, the only people counted are CR subscribers who choose to respond. That’s not anywhere close to a statistically significant sample.

That said, a good pollster can get a accurate result from a very small group if that group is chosen carefully. A friend who is a pollster conducted a poll two weeks before the 2018 primary and I believe he polled less than 1,000 people. I didn’t find out until after the election but the poll had me up by 3 points with a margin of error of +/- 3 points.

I won by 5 points, and he nailed every other country race as well.

Seems that some pollsters got the general election in 2016 wrong well beyond the margin of error. Sample size corrects a lot of errors.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

I agree they are here to stay, but I don't think they are where I want them to be for my driving needs. I know the friend of the friend and I know the story is true. I think I would consider one when they get to 500 miles before charging.

@driver100 - most drivers could easily swap their internal combustion cars for an EV considering the 250-300 mile range of many new EV introductions. I would have purchased a Tesla if I had a source of electricity to charge it - but I don’t because my condo has no access for charging.

@abacomike I'd like 500 miles if it is going to take me 20 minutes or more to charge......and 500 miles will probably be more like 400 miles if I use the a/c and radio - maybe going up hills uses more power, I don't know. One review I just read was for a Soul electric....which starts at almost $40k btw....and they made it so you can just have heat for the driver to save power....are those things I even want to have to think about?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

I think if I answered a CR review of my car I would try to be as objective and truthful as possible. If I had no problems and I liked my car a lot I might be a bit bias toward favoring the car, and the opposite if I didn't like it. But, I have nothing to gain by making stuff up. I wouldn't believe the results 100% but if 60% of respondence said they didn't like the CVT because it felt weird, I'd want to know that, and I would believe it.
    I don't think it is the ultimate decider, but the information can be very helpful if used wisely.

The thing is is that people tend to answer surveys based of perception and not reality. Say you buy a particular car due to the fact that everyone raves about the car, everyone you know that has one has great experiences with it and all the reviews are great you are more likely to give a positive review regardless of your actual experience.
    Doesn't that work in reverse though too? Say everyone says a car is a POS, everyone you know has a crap ton of problems with it, and the reviews are poor. Does that make you more likely to pan the car regardless of your actual experience?
    Could very well be, however if the car has that reputation why do you buy it if you give that reputation and reviews any credence?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    edited May 2021

@andres3 said:
    Seems that some pollsters got the general election in 2016 wrong well beyond the margin of error. Sample size corrects a lot of errors.

My theory on that was that, moreso than any past election, folks were secretive of their voting to avoid confrontation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

andres3 said:

@snakeweasel said:

Actually it would be a subjective survey as self reporting surveys are notoriously inaccurate due to confirmation bias.

I’ve dealt with polls/surveys in the political realm and I know a voluntary survey open to all is rarely-if ever-accurate. In the case of CR, the only people counted are CR subscribers who choose to respond. That’s not anywhere close to a statistically significant sample.

That said, a good pollster can get a accurate result from a very small group if that group is chosen carefully. A friend who is a pollster conducted a poll two weeks before the 2018 primary and I believe he polled less than 1,000 people. I didn’t find out until after the election but the poll had me up by 3 points with a margin of error of +/- 3 points.

I won by 5 points, and he nailed every other country race as well.

Sample size is meaningless if the sample doesn't represent the whole population. Say you are doing a political poll and the likely voters are 55% of party 'A' and 45% of party 'B' and your sample size is 60% party 'B' your results will be way off regardless of the sample size.

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

I agree they are here to stay, but I don't think they are where I want them to be for my driving needs. I know the friend of the friend and I know the story is true. I think I would consider one when they get to 500 miles before charging.

@driver100 - most drivers could easily swap their internal combustion cars for an EV considering the 250-300 mile range of many new EV introductions. I would have purchased a Tesla if I had a source of electricity to charge it - but I don’t because my condo has no access for charging.

@abacomike I'd like 500 miles if it is going to take me 20 minutes or more to charge......and 500 miles will probably be more like 400 miles if I use the a/c and radio - maybe going up hills uses more power, I don't know. One review I just read was for a Soul electric....which starts at almost $40k btw....and they made it so you can just have heat for the driver to save power....are those things I even want to have to think about?

My question with the Soul is how much power is actually saved by just providing heat for the driver? Will it extend my range by just a few miles or 20 or more miles? And will that really make a difference in my normal driving?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    henryn said:

sda said:

I think that is a possibility for any newer vehicle that relies on extensive electronics. Remember when a power window or a/c wouldn't work? In retrospect that was a huge problem, lol.

Ahhh, bad memories. How many times have I scraped up my hands and arms working inside a door to replace the motor or the plastic drive for a power window. More times than I care to think about.

I think, basically, on an older car, 6 years or more, if the backup camera goes out, or the bluetooth quits working, or similar, then the owner will most likely just live without that feature rather than pay a fortune to try and get it working.

That’s the hooptie philosophy right there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

@ snakeweasel Sorry, you seemed to have mistaken me for someone who cares what some annoying youtuber thinks.

He only has about 3.8 million more fans than you do! And is worth over $10 million! What is your net worth?
    Fans and net worth doesn’t make him not annoying.
    Annoying.....yes! But his opinion is probably worth at least considering, he didn't get where he is by being a complete moron.
    Have you ever heard of the Kardashians?
    I have heard about them but don't know that much about them. In doing some research they seem to be fairly intelligent...if not from learning in institutions just having general smarts. Einstein didn't do well in school...his mind was off wondering about other things like splitting molecules. Smart can take various forms...but being able to have a following and make large amounts of money usually takes some smarts.
    Anybody who can parley a “leaked” sex tape into a $billion empire and meetings with the president can’t be that dumb.

Now the people who watch her and make her rich....I can’t say the same for them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    My friend watched this video then decided to try the product.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSFRbeRdUOI
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

A friend of my who lives up the street, and likes to keep his vehicles very clean, gave me this.
    He raved about it. I'll try it tomorrow.

There’s a YT video on that one too.

mlevine said:

With new vehicle today the question is should you buy one. After warranty, it appears that the cost to fix items is going to be quite expensive. Each vehicle is made of multiple microprocessors. The more technology in a vehicle the more microprocessors. Thoughts are lease, keep for warranty period, or get extended warranty. In addition will need software updates regularly, will cost big bucks post warranty period.

That’s a daunting prospect for those who can’t afford to buy new or lease new. Many people buy 10+ year old cars just to get to work and while a busted radio might not be fatal, what happens when the electric transmission or power steering fizzles out?

tifighter said:

Another weird sighting posted on Twitter-

When the gas crisis of 1973 hit and gas spiked to the astronomical price of 40 cents/gallon, I watched as a guy next to me filled a number of 55 gallon drums sitting in his pickup bed.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    qbrozen said:

@andres3 said:

My theory on that was that, moreso than any past election, folks were secretive of their voting to avoid confrontation.

True. I also think many didn't bother to vote because almost all of the polls predicted the same winner.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tifighter said:

Speaking of gas-

That’s just great. The southern states are gassing up for the great migration back up North. Just when things were getting settled up here. J/K……kind of!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Whoopty doo! Happy days are here again. I just received my Massachusetts de minimis income tax refund in the amount of $145. This is the first state income tax refund I've received in years. Don't know when the Federal refund will be deposited to my account but it should include the 2020 stimulus checks that we are yet to receive. :p
    I love Costco, not only because they stick by ANYTHING they sell, also because they stay out of the fray of silly gas pricing mania. Today, they were 40¢/gal less than anywhere around me. I know. That’s only amounts to $5-$6 per fill up. But it speaks volumes to how little gas prices are really tied to sound economics and more on unrelated pricing manipulations.
    venture said:

qbrozen said:

@andres3 said:

True. I also think many didn't bother to vote because almost all of the polls predicted the same winner.

One of the issues brought up was that the sample size had an over representation of one of the political parties which led to errors in the polls.

A friend of my who lives up the street, and likes to keep his vehicles very clean, gave me this.
    He raved about it. I'll try it tomorrow.

There’s a YT video on that one too.
    But does Scotty recommend it?

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

My question with the Soul is how much power is actually saved by just providing heat for the driver? Will it extend my range by just a few miles or 20 or more miles? And will that really make a difference in my normal driving?

That is a hard one to answer. The range on the Soul is 243 miles. The vent can blow just on one seat to save power. A good explanation is here, but I don't think they know how much savings there will be, but when you have to start doing all this stuff to add a few miles it concerns me.
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/long-term-update-kia-soul-ev-3/

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961

tifighter said:

Speaking of gas-

That’s just great. The southern states are gassing up for the great migration back up North. Just when things were getting settled up here. J/K……kind of!
    Don't worry I'm not going anywhere.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

tifighter said:

Another weird sighting posted on Twitter-

When the gas crisis of 1973 hit and gas spiked to the astronomical price of 40 cents/gallon, I watched as a guy next to me filled a number of 55 gallon drums sitting in his pickup bed.
    I remember when I started driving back in the 70's. Gas stations had a limit on how much gas you could buy at any one time and most were closed on Sundays. Made it hard to fill up my Coronet with a gas tank that was approaching 20 gallons. I remember on Sunday I needed gas bad and the only gas stations open were the ones on the tollway service areas that had a limit on gas purchases. Since I lived close to the tollway and one of the service areas I got on the tollway drove to the service area and got my limit of gas. Just past the service area was an exit where I got off and got back on going the other way and got more gas at the service area on the other side. The whole trip was maybe 10 to 12 miles.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

That is a hard one to answer. The range on the Soul is 243 miles. The vent can blow just on one seat to save power. A good explanation is here, but I don't think they know how much savings there will be, but when you have to start doing all this stuff to add a few miles it concerns me.
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/long-term-update-kia-soul-ev-3/

It would concern me too but not for the same reasons. I would be more concerned about lack of planning from the driver more than anything else. Much like running out of gas. Lets be honest 243 miles is more than plenty of range for the daily driver. Anything that long or longer usually is known in advanced and can be planned for. I could likely drive that car to and from work all week with both the A/C and the heater working full blast fighting it out, the radio going full blast with all the lights on going uphill with a head wind both ways and still have power left at the end of the week.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I have read quite a few articles on why the pollsters were so wrong, both in 2016 and 2020. After 2016, there was a lot of talk from the pollsters about what went wrong and what they would or could do to fix the problems.

After 2020, some of the pollsters seem to just throw up their hands and admit they don’t know. Others (and I tend to agree with this theory) think that there is a certain segment of the population which does not trust government, nor the media. And for d___ sure not the pollsters. So they just flat aren’t going to take part in any polls or surveys. And if a significant part of the population refuses, absolutely, to take part in any polling, then how are you going to have an accurate poll?

While I myself am not a part of that segment of the population who trusts no one, it would be very difficult for anyone to get my responses to a poll. I have no landline, I often do not answer the cell phone if I don’t recognize the number. And when I do answer the call, and they say, “We’re doing a survey”, I immediately hang up as I know the odds are 100 or 1000 to 1 that they are just trying to sell me something that I don’t want.

Given all of that, how can pollsters expect to get accurate results in this day and age?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    bwia said:

Whoopty doo! Happy days are here again. I just received my Massachusetts de minimis income tax refund in the amount of $145. This is the first state income tax refund I've received in years. Don't know when the Federal refund will be deposited to my account but it should include the 2020 stimulus checks that we are yet to receive. :p

How many stimulus checks did you miss? My wife and younger son got all three, I missed out on the 2nd ($600), and my older son didn’t get any. Fortunately, there’s a line on the tax return to get it back.

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    The problem with new cars today is the electronics. Today have to be very careful doing your own work or going to independent mechanic as cars are complicated today. Even need special tools to do work on cars.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

Here is the problem with respect to election polling: the pollster needs an accurate method to determine who are likely voters and then he/she must select the correct percentage of Democratic, Republican, and Independent voters that will reflect the actual turnout.
    Now, if you want to release a confirmation poll you select a much larger percentage of voters from the demographic that is giving you the answers you want. Pollsters get away with this manipulation because no one-least of all the media-ever checks the crosstabs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I don’t trust anything that depends on answers from people that actually answer their home phone.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@graphicguy said:
    I love Costco, not only because they stick by ANYTHING they sell, also because they stay out of the fray of silly gas pricing mania. Today, they were 40¢/gal less than anywhere around me. I know. That’s only amounts to $5-$6 per fill up. But it speaks volumes to how little gas prices are really tied to sound economics and more on unrelated pricing manipulations.

PUG at Costco is $3.05.9 a gallon which is 45 cents less than the next closest price at a gas station within a 4 mile radius. That’s why I maintain my $65.00 yearly membership. It pays for itself after 7 tankfuls of fuel. I fill up twice a month, on average - so by May of each year, the membership fee is reimbursed in the form of savings on gasoline.

I rarely shop at Costco - only when they have a sale going on for coffee, cheese, and certain meats like roasted chicken.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    And people who still have a landline are in a shrinking and fairly specific demographic, too, nothing random about it.
    stickguy said:

I don’t trust anything that depends on answers from people that actually answer their home phone.

And if you use the Costco Citi card, you get an additional 4% back.

Scenes from Virginia, apparently:

abacomike said:

PUG at Costco is $3.05.9 a gallon which is 45 cents less than the next closest price at a gas station within a 4 mile radius. That’s why I maintain my $65.00 yearly membership. It pays for itself after 7 tankfuls of fuel. I fill up twice a month, on average - so by May of each year, the membership fee is reimbursed in the form of savings on gasoline.

I rarely shop at Costco - only when they have a sale going on for coffee, cheese, and certain meats like roasted chicken.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

Mike…I agree. Well worth the membership fee for the gas savings alone. I do shop in the store, too. I love their Kirkland Vitamin Water. I also love their Organic fish and beef. They always seem to have a good selection of Campbell’s soups, that I enjoy, too. Few other things I like…..their roasted whole chickens are the best…better than I make at home and cheaper, too.

Plus, when I travel (like down to the land of @kyfdx and @roadburner), they have liquor stores that offer some mighty fine spirits at a very good price.
    tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    I was thinking the same thing, a lot of that gas is not going into any tank.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    What are you thinking here, evaporated or spilled?

The following is taken directly from the OSHA web site:

The general requirements for the handling and use of flammable and combustible liquids such as a gasoline are set forth in 29 CFR 1926.152(a):

(1) Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less...[Emphasis added.]
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    At least demand will Fe down next week when those people are trying to use up all that extra gas they are buying!

I would join Costco but they just aren’t close enough to be convenient for shopping, and I am rarely near them to stop for gas.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

The general requirements for the handling and use of flammable and combustible liquids such as a gasoline are set forth in 29 CFR 1926.152(a):

(1) Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less...[Emphasis added.]

What are the odds that if you showed those guide lines to that nitwit she wouldn’t be able to read it?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895

@stickguy said:
    I would join Costco but they just aren’t close enough to be convenient for shopping, and I am rarely near them to stop for gas.

Same here (even further now) so BJ’s will have to do. Why on earth they aren’t in Deptford I’ll never know.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

henryn said:

I have read quite a few articles on why the pollsters were so wrong, both in 2016 and 2020. After 2016, there was a lot of talk from the pollsters about what went wrong and what they would or could do to fix the problems.

After 2020, some of the pollsters seem to just throw up their hands and admit they don’t know. Others (and I tend to agree with this theory) think that there is a certain segment of the population which does not trust government, nor the media. And for d___ sure not the pollsters. So they just flat aren’t going to take part in any polls or surveys. And if a significant part of the population refuses, absolutely, to take part in any polling, then how are you going to have an accurate poll?

Given all of that, how can pollsters expect to get accurate results in this day and age?

Another problem these days is poll takers call landlines.....that leaves out a big demographic of voters....usually younger, more idealistic, more likely to be green, possibly less income....just making those up but it does influence surveys.
    Personally, I wouldn't answer a survey about who I am voting for....with some of the whackos out there it could be a way to find out some information about me.

CPSC even had to issue guidance:

It's not a random suggestion:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

What are the odds that if you showed those guide lines to that nitwit she wouldn’t be able to read it?

jmonroe

edited May 2021
    abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

That’s good for premium. The gouge is on up here with prices going up a nickel every 12 hours. That’s interesting since the affected pipeline ends in Linden NJ.

Top Gear.....who wins the race....a new Tesla 3 with 440 hp, a BMW M3, Giulia QV (Extended -whatever that is), MB C63. Interesting comments at the end....maybe I'll change my mind about EVs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R7kZGvAUk

@henryn said:

Oh that's going to spill like you wouldn't believe.

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    Oh. Wow indeed. What’s with those pants?

I am afraid we are getting close to the great filter.

fintail said:

CPSC even had to issue guidance:

It's not a random suggestion:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

jmonroe

Well, she was double bagging so what’s the problem?

And hunk of all the payment money they comped you! Win win!