Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2021
    " Let’s see if prices fall as fast as they went up. "
    LOL
    - Ray
    Heading [ driving ] to Maine next week . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    The plot thickens: AlGo just offered me $24,500 for our Pilot

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I just received this from the VW dealer I've dealt with multiple times and where we bought the Q5. Hungry for vehicles. Dear Steve

Please see below for an important message regarding your current vehicle from our Managing Owner, Mark Cohen. Mr. Cohen is very interested in purchasing your vehicle. Because the demand for pre-owned vehicles is at an all-time high, he’s willing to pay up to $4,000 more for your trade

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

@28firefighter said:

Question. I got an email from BMW about 3 years of service for $199 if over 6 years and 60k miles. Even if that’s only 3 oil changes, $66 a pop is a solid deal. So my question is, do we think this applies to vehicles as old as my ZHP?

I received the same email. It references the CBS system so it may exclude the E46. I plan to sign my wife’s X1 up and possibly the M235i as well(since I’m having trouble finding a car that I like better for anywhere close to a price I’m willing to pay).

I do have some sort of a mileage/time based system, but definitely not condition based. I'll call them - seems like a good deal if I can use it there. I pay around that much per oil change to do it myself with LiquiMoly.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    One thing I really liked about the 540i I had was that, between the dipstick and the top mounted oil filter, you could easily change the oil without ramps by using a Topsider or similar suction device.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Somebody locally was apparently really hot to trot to get into the new Audi E-tron GT. They stole it from the Autoport lot where they are taken off the transatlantic car carriers for shipment across North America. How they got to it I do not know since that area is pretty secure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/high-end-cars-stolen-from-eastern-passage-business-1.6023787?fbclid=IwAR1e2SF67MfvOgBWPoLlBERs_xUjOXI1ss-vJ62dZgJQpyG7zpfN8BaUoA4

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    ab348 said:

Somebody locally was apparently really hot to trot to get into the new Audi E-tron GT. They stole it from the Autoport lot where they are taken off the transatlantic car carriers for shipment across North America. How they got to it I do not know since that area is pretty secure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/high-end-cars-stolen-from-eastern-passage-business-1.6023787?fbclid=IwAR1e2SF67MfvOgBWPoLlBERs_xUjOXI1ss-vJ62dZgJQpyG7zpfN8BaUoA4

GIven how few there are, it doesn't seem like it will be hard to find. It will have to charge publically somewhere at some point.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

As the story notes, they were already found (probably via GPS) in a sketchy area of town known for such activity.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    sda said:

I just received this from the VW dealer I've dealt with multiple times and where we bought the Q5. Hungry for vehicles. Dear Steve

Please see below for an important message regarding your current vehicle from our Managing Owner, Mark Cohen. Mr. Cohen is very interested in purchasing your vehicle. Because the demand for pre-owned vehicles is at an all-time high, he’s willing to pay up to $4,000 more for your trade

Even though it is the "new" car, it might be worth considering a divestment of the Passat and just sit on things a while with the other two vehicles (if you don't strictly *need* three!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    xwesx said:

sda said:

Even though it is the "new" car, it might be worth considering a divestment of the Passat and just sit on things a while with the other two vehicles (if you don't strictly *need* three!).
    The prices on new Passat's doesn't seem to be crazy. Local dealers have the SE starting $24.5 and the S for around $22.5. The stock is fairly low, so you might not get the color you want. One dealer has 2 SE's and 3 R-Line. The other dealer I looked at has 8 Passat's, 5 of the the S model, the other 3 being SE.

You might consider trading up to a new one, if the difference isn't too bad.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Most of the 3-row SUV comparos I've read place the H/K twins at the top of the heap, the domestics at the bottom. This is the only recent one I found that had the Pilot and Highlander in the mix.
    https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/pilot/2020/honda-pilot-ford-explorer-toyota-highlander-3-row-suv-comparison-test/

I might be tempted to keep the Pilot and wait for whatever new models are coming.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

edited May 2021
    @xwesx , @henryn, I've had the same thoughts. Yet, the Passat has less than 22k on it, warranty is good to 8/1/25, 84k mi. But never say never...

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    au1994 said:
    Sounds really nice! But not cheap...

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

I might be tempted to keep the Pilot and wait for whatever new models are coming.

Or, trade the Pilot with the questionable oil consumption history in on a brand new one... I'm pretty sure that wouldn't even rank in the top 10 of crazy things that we've done in this group! :p
    Or, perish the thought, monitor it weekly and if it doesn’t consume any oil in 30-45 days, just keep it.

I’ll see myself out now.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    au1994 said:

Or, perish the thought, monitor it weekly and if it doesn’t consume any oil in 30-45 days, just keep it.

I’ll see myself out now.

Who let you into this palace?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    sda said:

@xwesx , @henryn, I've had the same thoughts. Yet, the Passat has less than 22k on it, warranty is good to 8/1/25, 84k mi. But never say never...

I had a struggle with my '13 Passat TDI during the diesel scandal. I specifically bought it as an investment vehicle, but I had second thoughts about going through with the buyback and thought strongly about keeping it due to the additional warranty and it being such a wonderful car.
    I did go through with it, which was the right decision, yet I still miss that car. A 50% ROI softened the blow a bit. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

au1994 said:

I’ll see myself out now.

He entered through the servant's corridor. :s
    xwesx said:

au1994 said:

I’ll see myself out now.

He entered through the servant's corridor. :s

nyccarguy said:

The plot thickens: AlGo just offered me $24,500 for our Pilot

that hold the pilot, monitor the oil, and wait for prices to become normal plan didn't last long!

Sounds like so far the Pilot is fine, so maybe it was just a 1 time fluke? Still, a nice ROI on it. But not if you can't find a replacement you like better for a reasonable price.

@stickguy said:
    that hold the pilot, monitor the oil, and wait for prices to become normal plan didn't last long!

Sounds like so far the Pilot is fine, so maybe it was just a 1 time fluke? Still, a nice ROI on it. But not if you can't find a replacement you like better for a reasonable price.

I’m most likely going to end up holding on to it. I’m not planning on overpaying for it’s replacement.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

There is a nice blue 2021 XT4 at a nearby dealer. Trying to get wife’s input before I cast a line. I’m a little sketchy on what is even possible with these, but I’m thinking $1k at signing and $395/mo ain’t outside the realm of possibility.

Oh, she poo-poo’d the black/black V60. However, I located a brown/tan V60 CC cpo for $22k. It is like 2000 miles away, and it is a 2015, so a couple strikes. I’m curious to know how they CPO a car already older than 5 yrs. also found a white/tan V60 CPO that is closer. We’ll see what she says to those. She does like the looks of the Ghibli. Likes the F Pace too, but that’s a budget pusher for sure.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited May 2021
    au1994 said:
    When the GTI was finally launched in the US it was considered to be something of a bargain; not so today; there are a lot of used cars I'd rather have at that price point.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2021
    xwesx said:

sda said:

I had a struggle with my '13 Passat TDI during the diesel scandal. I specifically bought it as an investment vehicle, but I had second thoughts about going through with the buyback and thought strongly about keeping it due to the additional warranty and it being such a wonderful car.
    I did go through with it, which was the right decision, yet I still miss that car. A 50% ROI softened the blow a bit. :D
    At the time that I sold back my Passat TDI, I didn't have any doubts at all. Take the money and run, as they say. But later on, I did kind of miss it, which led me to buying the new Passat R-Line. Which was not at all the same car as the TDI. If somebody offered me a good deal on a nice Passat TDI, I would most likely buy it.

Which inspired me to spend a few minutes looking online, and I found this:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/841467543/overview/

$9,000 isn’t bad, but there is a $500 hitch in the fine print:

Advertised price does not include tag, tax, title, registration, $499 Protection Shield
    I might actually go look at it though.

Minor ding on the Carfax, but that is a decent high MPG commuter car for the price. Carfax says the transmission fluid and filter were changed at 40k, as well, but at 75k, it's almost due for it again.
    edited May 2021
    I like my 18 Passat SE w/tech. It is very nicely equipped, comfortable, drives well. Could use more power but certainly adequate. Good build quality and good gas mileage. A practical solid car but nothing special. My 06 Passat 2.0T was fun to drive, better power and handling. It had a more premium feel, richer interior materials.

sda said:

I like my 18 Passat SE w/tech. It is very nicely equipped, comfortable, drives well. Could use more power but certainly adequate. Good build quality and good gas mileage. A practical solid car but nothing special. My 06 Passat 2.0T was fun to drive, better power and handling. It had a more premium feel, richer interior materials.

I know exactly what you're talking about. My wife bought a new 2008 Passat 2.0T, and that was a really nice car. Fast, fun to drive, great road car. Somewhere around 2010, Volkswagen decided to cheapen the Passat to compete with the Japanese imports, and it hasn't been the same since. Now I hear they're about to stop making Passat's.

@henryn said:
    I know exactly what you're talking about. My wife bought a new 2008 Passat 2.0T, and that was a really nice car. Fast, fun to drive, great road car. Somewhere around 2010, Volkswagen decided to cheapen the Passat to compete with the Japanese imports, and it hasn't been the same since. Now I hear they're about to stop making Passat's.

I literally came within a day of leasing a 2007 Passat 2.0T Wagon for my wife. I didn’t get the credit app in before the end of the month. By the time they opened the next day, the program had changed and the monthly lease payment had gone up significantly.

@au1994 said:
    That is a nice, sound approach. Not necessarily the favored approach of a CCBA’er :smile:

I never stop window shopping but we won’t be making a move till the end of the year. Let this craziness play itself out. While I hate to miss out on the crazy used prices, the lack of inventory and new prices make it a zero sum game. Plus we (read my wife) need to decide what we really want.

I wouldn’t hesitate to extend your truck. That’s such a good deal on a nice, functional vehicle that you have come to love, or at least like!

I really have come to love my truck.

nyccarguy said:

@henryn said:

I literally came within a day of leasing a 2007 Passat 2.0T Wagon for my wife. I didn’t get the credit app in before the end of the month. By the time they opened the next day, the program had changed and the monthly lease payment had gone up significantly.

I did lease a wagon for my ex wife and that thing was wonderful. The Passat, not her. Fast, smooth and very well equipped. As mentioned a great road car and with the wagon utility, it was handy as a pocket on a shirt. Really a shame they quit brining them here but US drivers just keep rejecting wagons.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    Last evening I went to pick up the girls at gymnastics. While backing up into a parking spot I noticed the SUV behind me had it's rear lights blinking. BUT it didn't. It was only when looking at the screen.

I looked in the mirror and they weren't blinking. I even pulled forward, backed up again, and just looked out the back window and they weren't blinking. Weird.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

Last evening I went to pick up the girls at gymnastics. While backing up into a parking spot I noticed the SUV behind me had it's rear lights blinking. BUT it didn't. It was only when looking at the screen.

I looked in the mirror and they weren't blinking. I even pulled forward, backed up again, and just looked out the back window and they weren't blinking. Weird.

LED’s? They can do that when viewed on a screen.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    au1994 said:

venture said:

LED’s? They can do that when viewed on a screen.
    Yes. It creeped me out a little at first. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:
    Not a fan of the chrome wheels nor the muffler delete.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@qbrozen said:
    This is a new one on me!

That’s probably one of five they made. I didn’t even know it was available then.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    au1994 said:

I’ll see myself out now.

A car that comes up 5 quarts short between oil changes but now doesn’t use any? That sounds like the fault lies somewhere other than the engine.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:
    So a manual tranny on anything will get it a spot on C&B?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I like that MB. just not the color combo. I assume it is fairly loud with just the cats for an exhaust!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Note they are "AMG Style" - they resemble period AMG wheels, but I believe are knock-offs. Car definitely needs OEM wheels and a proper exhaust, getting close to becoming a BMW bro kind of thing as it sits. Also amusing how turbos and tech added well over 100 hp to the 3.0 a decade later.

One could also find a 5-speed in the prior (W204) generation C.
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:
    Not a fan of the chrome wheels nor the muffler delete.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

@henryn said:

I did lease a wagon for my ex wife and that thing was wonderful. The Passat, not her. Fast, smooth and very well equipped. As mentioned a great road car and with the wagon utility, it was handy as a pocket on a shirt. Really a shame they quit brining them here but US drivers just keep rejecting wagons.

Saw pictures of the new Genesis G70 wagon. Gorgeous!

Of course, Europe only. We can’t have nice things in the US.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    edited May 2021
    Passats of that era are getting a little thin on the ground now . Can't recall when I last saw/noticed a wagon variant.

I think that Genesis is more of a 5 door hatch (I know they have the gall to call it a shooting brake, IMO it is as much a "wagon" as a GLE coupe is a "coupe"). But it's a functional form and isn't yet another bloatling CUV, so I approve.
    Michaell said:

Saw pictures of the new Genesis G70 wagon. Gorgeous!

Of course, Europe only. We can’t have nice things in the US.

edited May 2021
    au1994 said:

The first time I read this, I missed part of it, and it looked like this was intended for your wife:

Fast, smooth and very well equipped.
    Which started me thinking how most men would find that to be a fine compliment if said about a woman, but most women would definitely not agree.

Okay, gentlemen, here you go. A Passat wagon, complete with V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. And very cheap!

Only problem? It's 17 years old, with 235k miles.

https://www.gillmansubaru.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-Passat-houston-tx-561b94840a0e0a1710ad6907e94c0489.htm
    henryn said:

Okay, gentlemen, here you go. A Passat wagon, complete with V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. And very cheap!

https://www.gillmansubaru.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-Passat-houston-tx-561b94840a0e0a1710ad6907e94c0489.htm

I like cheap cars but 235k miles? Yikes! I’d need to know a lot about the history before I’d take a chance. One thing I’d want to know is and failure points on that 2.8L motor. Maybe if you knew it was all highway miles. That’s about 14k miles a year, not usually the way high miles build up on constant roadway diving.

What would you use that car for? My 2004 only has 121k miles but I wouldn’t trust it to drive across the country.

henryn said:

I like cheap cars but 235k miles? Yikes! I’d need to know a lot about the history before I’d take a chance. One thing I’d want to know is and failure points on that 2.8L motor. Maybe if you knew it was all highway miles. That’s about 14k miles a year, not usually the way high miles build up on constant roadway diving.

What would you use that car for? My 2004 only has 121k miles but I wouldn’t trust it to drive across the country.
    I wouldn't use it, end of story. Several posters had mentioned the Passat wagon, which hasn't been sold in the USA for a number of years, and I checked for used ones. I would not touch any used Volkswagen that old and that many miles. If I were in the market for a beater or a "hooptie", I would look for a Honda, or maybe an old Crown Vic / Grand Marquis. Old pickups used to make good beaters, but the market for old used pickups went crazy several years ago.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

henryn said:

In 2007 I took my late father-in-laws 1993 Subaru Legacy wagon, with around 140K on it, from Colorado to California to present as a high school graduation gift to my son. My only prep was an oil change. Averaged 30+ MPG for the 1100 mile trip.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

henryn said:

henryn said:

I wouldn't use it, end of story. Several posters had mentioned the Passat wagon, which hasn't been sold in the USA for a number of years, and I checked for used ones. I would not touch any used Volkswagen that old and that many miles. If I were in the market for a beater or a "hooptie", I would look for a Honda, or maybe an old Crown Vic / Grand Marquis. Old pickups used to make good beaters, but the market for old used pickups went crazy several years ago.
    As much as I like VWs, and my wife had a 99 Passat 1.8t, lovely car, hard pass on any with that kind of mileage unless it was totally rebuilt and documented. Even then I would be hesitant.