Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    good news. can't wait for a driving report!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    qbrozen said:

Well, good sign... the newest part seems to have fixed the Benz. Started her up and finally had no codes. Could only run it for a minute because I need to change the oil, tighten the water pump (probably replace the gasket), and get all the hoses and wires tucked away. But all other startups have had immediate rough running, stalling, and multiple codes. Crazy that one little metal ring could cause all those problems. I guess it is possible the whole unit was bad or clogged in some way and the missing ring was just a visual cue and not really the cause, but it is what it is.

Sad that I have so little free time that it took me this long. My weekends will free up a little in a couple of weeks after martial arts training takes a hiatus, so that will be nice. Although my little one is currently playing on 2 baseball teams, as well, so that hasn’t been conducive to getting chores done, either. But I don’t think the season could be much longer for those.

Does this mean that the Maserati is a no go?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Now this is interesting.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/league-city-2010-volkswagen-passat/7308253932.html

A 2010 Passat, looks very clean in the pictures. I believe that was the last year model which came with the good 2.0T engine, not the newer watered down engine. And the DSG transmission.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I assume it is an optical illusion, but it looks like it is lifted in the rear like a 71 Camaro with a set of Gabriel HiJackers shocks.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    The stance does look odd, maybe it is the angle of the picture. I find it funny that the seller claims they don’t use it enough. It’s averaged 10,000 miles a year.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

The stance does look odd, maybe it is the angle of the picture. I find it funny that the seller claims they don’t use it enough. It’s averaged 10,000 miles a year.

Circumstances do change. My wife bought a 2008 Passat (very similar to this one) new, and drove it for 4 years until it was paid for. After 48 months, it had right at 100k miles, or 25k per year. I took over the car at that time as a secondary vehicle, and over the next 12 months it accumulated less than 5k miles. So yes, I find that quite believable.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@laurasdada - not sure if you already got the info you needed, but if memory serves, you just need to include a copy of the sales order for your PHEV or EV along with the completed IRS form.

Nothing too in depth.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

As I posted in RWTIV:
    So I went and looked at the M2. The Cadillac store was closed so I just did a walk around. It does look brand new(which it should) More weirdness: it has the $2,500 M Drivers Package which got the PO a day at the BMW PC and a 174 mph top speed(instead of the silly 155 mph limiter). I’m at least going to test drive it, although having to negotiate with that flakey dealer is discouraging.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I assume that is just a symbolic annoyance? And that any track you would do a HPDE at wouldn't let anyone go over 155 anyway?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@roadburner said:
    As I posted in RWTIV:
    So I went and looked at the M2. The Cadillac store was closed so I just did a walk around. It does look brand new(which it should) More weirdness: it has the $2,500 M Drivers Package which got the PO a day at the BMW PC and a 174 mph top speed(instead of the silly 155 mph limiter). I’m at least going to test drive it, although having to negotiate with that flakey dealer is discouraging.

I wonder where people think they are legally and safely going to be able to break 155. Even the highest top speed at Laguna Seca at this year’s Best Driver’s Car, as set by Randy Pobst in a Ferrari F8 Tributo, was 148 mph.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

I assume that is just a symbolic annoyance? And that any track you would do a HPDE at wouldn't let anyone go over 155 anyway?

The only CCA school with a speed limit that I know of is the Windy City school at Road America- and that's only in one sector(that had a penchant for spectacular "incidents"). I saw 130 at Putnam in my MS3 without trying hard; I'd be surprised if you couldn't top 160 easily at Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen- and almost certainly at COTA.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    What about on an oval? Well before there were cameras rolling 24/7 everywhere and heightened security, I recall a family member telling a story of finding a gate unlocked at Indy and taking a lap.

@roadburner said:
    The only CCA school with a speed limit that I know of is the Windy City school at Road America- and that's only in one sector(that had a penchant for spectacular "incidents"). I saw 130 at Putnam in my MS3 without trying hard; I'd be surprised if you couldn't top 160 easily at Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen- and almost certainly at COTA.

Sure... in a supercar.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

Thought the same thing. Probably nothing, but why lie about that?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

stickguy said:

Before I moved to VT, I used to HPDE in my Porsche 944T. Non S, so 217 HP. Suspension was set up, but stock motor. I hit +/-150 mph at Bridghampton (the greatest track that is now a golf course), Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Pocono road course. 930's could pass me on the straights, but I would catch them in the corners :)

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

@sb55 said:
    Before I moved to VT, I used to HPDE in my Porsche 944T. Non S, so 217 HP. Suspension was set up, but stock motor. I hit +/-150 mph at Bridghampton (the greatest track that is now a golf course), Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Pocono road course. 930's could pass me on the straights, but I would catch them in the corners :)

How long was that straight? Sorry to say, but Maybe broken speedometer. Or that had a crazy long straight that no longer exists anywhere else. Just research some of the tests all over the interwebs. 150 in a production car is not common in the least.

@roadburner - I haven’t paid attention to the M2 market for a couple months now. That’s basically the price of a new one, right? Not that you can get a new one at the moment, so I suppose this is the next best thing.

I imagine you could save thousands by going with a gently used 2019 or 2020, but nothing has popped up that strikes your fancy?

In any case, that one is beautiful. I like the LBB, but the Hockenheim is stunning in person.

So my 16 year old gets his driver’s license this week. And that’s it - all the kids have their licenses (well, the ones who are able to get a license).

So is it weird that after all these years of ferrying around kids to school, sports, friends houses, etc....I’m a bit sad?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    breld said:

So my 16 year old gets his driver’s license this week. And that’s it - all the kids have their licenses (well, the ones who are able to get a license).

So is it weird that after all these years of ferrying around kids to school, sports, friends houses, etc....I’m a bit sad?

That happens to us in late January. I genuinely do not know what I am going to do with my time. Any yes, I’m already getting sad.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Breld, when the kids started driving themselves it certainly cut down on my miles. I did miss it. And still not sure why I don’t have lots more productive free time with them gone!

As I’ve said, In my stock MS3 I easily hit 130 mph on the front straight at Putnam- and I was one of the low key instructors who didn’t shoot for fastest lap in every session.

edited May 2021

@breld Yes, it’s not a good deal at $65k, but I believe $61k would be a decent price. As you know, M2 Comp prices are all over the place. The BMW Store in Cincinnati has a 2019 Hockenheim Silver car I may look at for $62.5k. It has 8.5k miles on it. Unfortunately, the BMW Store usually doesn’t deal much on their used cars.

Make an offer. Worst that happens is they say no.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,163
    edited May 2021
    This was posted on another forum Pardon me? I doubt this thing was over 20K new, 5 years and 80K miles ago.

At least something out there is just as stupid as housing prices. Would look good parked in front of a 500K house that was 250K in 2016.

ab348 said:

Thought the same thing. Probably nothing, but why lie about that?
    It doesn't strike me that way. Sure, the seller could be a "curbstoner", but there's not nearly enough there to jump to that conclusion. My guess, and I believe it's more likely, is that after several years of use as a daily driver, the car was relegated to backup duty. I have done exactly that before, it's not very unusual.

I do intend to go look at the car this evening (if my sick dog doesn't get worse), and I'll know more then. If the car is what it appears to be in the pictures (other than the stance!), I will ask for a look at the title. That will give away all "curbstoners", and those who only obtained the car to try and flip it.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    henryn said:

Now this is interesting.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/league-city-2010-volkswagen-passat/7308253932.html

A 2010 Passat, looks very clean in the pictures. I believe that was the last year model which came with the good 2.0T engine, not the newer watered down engine. And the DSG transmission.

Looks nice. I really liked my 06 Passat 2.0t. I thought the 2010 Passat had the 6sp Aisin sourced automatic like my 06 had.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

nyccarguy said:

I found a very mildly optioned ($43,475 MSRP) Explorer XLT not too far away from me that fits the bill. White (not my favorite color)/Black Interior with 18" Wheels (not the optional 20s), Captain's Chairs, The Tow Hitch, The Twin Panel Glass Moonroof, & The Pro Pilot 360 Assist+. I googled the dealership and emailed the sales person who has positive reviews. I wrote him a detailed email with most of the pertinent information (stock number, lease term & miles, I have excellent credit, details about my trade) he needs to provide me with a price. I tell him I can take delivery either this week or next.

I received an email back requesting my zip code & the VIN on my Pilot. I provide it to him.

Next I get an email asking me if I owe money on the Pilot (not sure what this has to do with anything). I reply yes along with the loan balance, who it is financed through, and that I got an offer from ALGO to buy it for $25K.

I'll let you know how the story unfolds.

It amazes me how a relatively straight forward transaction can be made so complicated. It would seem to me they could have provided you an answer from the initial information you provided. Good Luck!

nyccarguy said:

I found a very mildly optioned ($43,475 MSRP) Explorer XLT not too far away from me that fits the bill. White (not my favorite color)/Black Interior with 18" Wheels (not the optional 20s), Captain's Chairs, The Tow Hitch, The Twin Panel Glass Moonroof, & The Pro Pilot 360 Assist+. I googled the dealership and emailed the sales person who has positive reviews. I wrote him a detailed email with most of the pertinent information (stock number, lease term & miles, I have excellent credit, details about my trade) he needs to provide me with a price. I tell him I can take delivery either this week or next.

I received an email back requesting my zip code & the VIN on my Pilot. I provide it to him.

Next I get an email asking me if I owe money on the Pilot (not sure what this has to do with anything). I reply yes along with the loan balance, who it is financed through, and that I got an offer from ALGO to buy it for $25K.

I can see needing your zip to see if there are any incentives. Not sure on the VIN. A customer would be foolish to tell them they have a Pilot Elite when its really an LX. Not sure what your payoff has to do with it.

Good luck! Let’s hope this dealer isn’t a Richard.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,075
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

I can see needing your zip to see if there are any incentives. Not sure on the VIN. A customer would be foolish to tell them they have a Pilot Elite when its really an LX. Not sure what your payoff has to do with it.

If they are offering to buy your trade, they need the payoff to provide a complete quote.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2021
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

If they are offering to buy your trade, they need the payoff to provide a complete quote.
    That's the thing. The only variables are their price for their car and their offer for yours. But if they want to provide an entire quote sheet down to leasing/financing offers, they need all that other information too. If you're just curious, it can be mildly annoying, but when you're serious about a purchase, it's kinda nice to get the actual quote.

breld said:

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's the thing. The only variables are their price for their car and their offer for yours. But if they want to provide an entire quote sheet down to leasing/financing offers, they need all that other information too. If you're just curious, it can be mildly annoying, but when you're serious about a purchase, it's kinda nice to get the actual quote.
    You are both right, of course. The upside when a dealer does this is the quote is 100% accurate and actionable as opposed to working with numbers where the customer says they owe ‘about 10k’ on the trade.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427

@breld said:

I just hope I don’t get a “great news. You have $X equity in your Pilot, so once we use that as a down payment, your payment will be...” email.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

sda said:

henryn said:

Now this is interesting.

Looks nice. I really liked my 06 Passat 2.0t. I thought the 2010 Passat had the 6sp Aisin sourced automatic like my 06 had.
    I'm going by this article in Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/passat/2010/

My 2008 Passat 2.0t also had the normal 6 speed automatic transmission with torque converter. But Motor Trend says all of the 2010's had the DSG

The Passat is equipped with VW's peppy 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four, which is now its only engine as the optional V-6 has been dropped. In addition, the six-speed manual and automatic gearboxes and the all-wheel drive option are also gone for 2010. None of that is really missed (except maybe the manual tranny), as the turbo-four -- mated to the standard auto-clutch DSG manual -- offers peppy response and good fuel economy.
    nyccarguy said:

@breld said:

I just hope I don’t get a “great news. You have $X equity in your Pilot, so once we use that as a down payment, your payment will be...” email.

You'd lease the Explorer for sure, right? So with no tax savings to consider, you'd probably be better off just unloading the Pilot to Carvana, Vroom or Carmax? The Pilot must be high on their list of desired inventory.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Thanks for the PHEV update, breld. Good to know.

I shopped the Maser Ghibli when I was considering the XF. I couldn't get comfy in the Maser, the ergonomics weren't great (well, Italian). Back seat a bit cramped (sounding just like Dad now!). And, could see the ChryCo bits, but they were bits that probably worked a whole lot better than their Italian counterparts!
    So, I took the safer, more reliable route and bought British.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

henryn said:

sda said:

henryn said:

Now this is interesting.

I'm going by this article in Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/passat/2010/

My 2008 Passat 2.0t also had the normal 6 speed automatic transmission with torque converter. But Motor Trend says all of the 2010's had the DSG

The Passat is equipped with VW's peppy 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four, which is now its only engine as the optional V-6 has been dropped. In addition, the six-speed manual and automatic gearboxes and the all-wheel drive option are also gone for 2010. None of that is really missed (except maybe the manual tranny), as the turbo-four -- mated to the standard auto-clutch DSG manual -- offers peppy response and good fuel economy.

I learned something today! :smile: It would be nice to know how the DSG performs vs the traditional auto. As you know VW reverted back the traditional auto on the 2.5, 1.8t and 2.0t.

edited May 2021
    sda said:

I learned something today! :smile: It would be nice to know how the DSG performs vs the traditional auto. As you know VW reverted back the traditional auto on the 2.5, 1.8t and 2.0t.

I had the 2008 2.0t with the normal automatic, and the 2013 TDI with the DSG. I have nothing against either tranny, but I will say the DSG is a bit clunky when dealing with stop-and-go traffic or trying to maneuver in a 13 story parking garage.
    DSG needs more frequent fluid changes too I think.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,075
    The one in the A3 TDI was very clunky. Can't complain about the MPG, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@breld said:
    You'd lease the Explorer for sure, right? So with no tax savings to consider, you'd probably be better off just unloading the Pilot to Carvana, Vroom or Carmax? The Pilot must be high on their list of desired inventory.

Ford currently has a $2,750 “trade in incentive” rebate if you trade in your vehicle for a new Ford. It’s $1000 higher if you go for a Limited, ST, or Platinum.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Just got an email back saying the General Manager is off today, so I’ll have to get back to you tomorrow about your Honda. Do you want to put all the equity in your Honda towards the lease?

I replied no. I’d like a check back for all of the equity in my Honda. $0 cap cost reduction with only 1st payment due at signing.

good luck! Remember, you might pay a little more on the lease than if you wait until year end, but once supply opens back up your Pilot will likely be worth a lot less. So could be a wash.

or just keep the Honda, pay it off, and run it into the ground. Unless you made the fatal mistake of showing your wife something nicer when you might not be able to deliver it! That is how I ended up with the first RDX.

stickguy said:

DSG needs more frequent fluid changes too I think.

True. 40k recommended, at a cost of about $350 at the dealer.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    edited May 2021

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited May 2021
    nyccarguy said:

@breld said:

Ford currently has a $2,750 “trade in incentive” rebate if you trade in your vehicle for a new Ford. It’s $1000 higher if you go for a Limited, ST, or Platinum.

=============== END QUOTED MATERIAL+++++++++++++++++
    At some point, a year or two back, before the pandemic, I had a $2,000 "private offer" from Ford. I had heard of such things from GM, but never from Ford, until I received mine in the mail.

Long since expired, of course.

ON EDIT: I see that blockquotes are getting messed up again.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    @nyccarguy,
    The local dealers who list a discount are at about $1000 of list for and XLT.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    qbrozen said:

@sb55 said:

How long was that straight? Sorry to say, but Maybe broken speedometer. Or that had a crazy long straight that no longer exists anywhere else. Just research some of the tests all over the interwebs. 150 in a production car is not common in the least.

I own one car that at least in theory could do 150 but I’d never try that without some aerodynamic modifications. It’s rock solid at 90 but I’d be scared at 150 that it would go airborne.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible