Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

Any guess on a fair price for this 2018 440i?
    It has the M Performance Power and Sound Kit($3,000+$300 CF Tips+installation) and it's an M performance car, which added the front splitter and rear spoiler.

Wow, insanely low miles for a 2018, and I love the exterior color. No comment on the interior color. :p
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    I wanted to report on the sale of the 2009 Honda Odyssey with 163K that I had asked about on here a while back. Q said to put a stack of receipts for a lot of new parts in past year on front seat and ask $4995.
    Was looking at Auto Trader site Monday night to maybe list it when I clicked on KBB buy your car or something like that. I entered the basic info and they sent a bid of $3741 from a Chevy dealer a half hour away. Guy from dealer emailed and we spoke on phone about the van. Would have never thought of Chevy dealer for the van. It was total luck I stumbled on that site.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and their buyer drove it and service looked at it. He offered $4500, I said it should be an easy private sale for $5k or more but I would take $4900 to avoid hassle of sale. He said OK and they did the paperwork while my wife made the trip to pick me up. I was amazed how quick and easy it was without any games and they never complained about the two CarFax dings I told them about.

The wife was dreading the ordeal of having people look, get paid and transferred with the Clerk's office not open to public. She was happy to be in and out in about 10 minutes with more money than she expected.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Wow. Congrats.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Asking for a friend. I will find out more details, but they have a black 2010 Camry XLE with 70 some thousand miles that they would like to sell, but like us, do not want to do private sale. Yes, I know this would be great for private sale.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    qbrozen said:

Wow. Congrats.

No doubt! This market is just nuts.

@jwm40517 You couldn't have asked for a better result!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    qbrozen said:

alrighty. Given the history, even with the low miles, I'd say this is about a $3k auction car. So maybe see $2500 on trade. Your friend could TRY asking $5995 and see what happens. If it needs to go quick, then start with $4995.

Asked $5K... sold it to the first person that looked at it. They didn’t even make a lower offer.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

jwm40517 said:

Asking for a friend. I will find out more details, but they have a black 2010 Camry XLE with 70 some thousand miles that they would like to sell, but like us, do not want to do private sale. Yes, I know this would be great for private sale.

Best thing to do right now is request buy bids on Carvana/Vroom/Carmax/Algo/etc. I can't begin to guess without miles, engine, condition, history. But my guesses in this environment are just guesses. Never know what the heck these online places will pay.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Greetings and salutations, long time no see. I thought I would report in on this present insanity.

Last year, in August, I became very ill and spent a week in the hospital. I decided to retire, and enjoy life a little. At that time I had two vehicles, a 2018 F150 XLT Supercrew (purchased new) and a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country (purchased 1 year old). I considered selling off the truck, and did a little exploration. At that time (September of 2020, about 7 months ago) my estimation was that I could get about $27k or possibly $28k. 

Fast forward, yesterday morning, I read a story on CNN, you may have seen it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business/car-prices-record-high-short-supply/index.html

“Wholesale prices for used cars sold at auction are up 26% since the start of this year, according to other data from JD Power. “

Really? Do tell. I did some quick online searches, and was completely astonished at what Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds were showing me for the value of my truck. KBB said $40,789 to $44,876 for private sale. Edmunds said $37,650.  I took two quick pictures, paid $5 to post on Craigslist, and asked $37,500. In less than 24 hours, I had sold the truck to a local dealer for my asking price. That amounts to $10k more than it was worth 7 months ago, and about $4.5k more than I paid for the truck, brand new, about 34 months ago.

This is almost as good as the VW Diesel deal from a few years back.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited April 2021
    @qbrozen,

Can you provide any further info on this vehicle for me . What price range should I start my offer at for a 2019 mustang Echo Boost base no added options , white/black int , 25,623 miles , one owner ,clean fax. Outstanding in / out. ?

Vin# 1FA6P8THXK5109017
    Major Chevy world Queens, NY Has it listed for $23,800.

Edmunds has private party sale @$21,590
    Dealer retail.......$23,019

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Echo Boost? Does that mean it has two turbos?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Echo Boost? Does that mean it has two turbos?

Even better, it's a special edition that came for free with one of these cheerful little commuters:

edited April 2021
    Fords Echo boost is 2.3L turbocharged VCT 10-speed Auto @310h/p. Manual must be fun to drive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    henryn said:

Greetings and salutations, long time no see. I thought I would report in on this present insanity.

Last year, in August, I became very ill and spent a week in the hospital. I decided to retire, and enjoy life a little. At that time I had two vehicles, a 2018 F150 XLT Supercrew (purchased new) and a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country (purchased 1 year old). I considered selling off the truck, and did a little exploration. At that time (September of 2020, about 7 months ago) my estimation was that I could get about $27k or possibly $28k. 

Fast forward, yesterday morning, I read a story on CNN, you may have seen it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business/car-prices-record-high-short-supply/index.html

“Wholesale prices for used cars sold at auction are up 26% since the start of this year, according to other data from JD Power. “

Really? Do tell. I did some quick online searches, and was completely astonished at what Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds were showing me for the value of my truck. KBB said $40,789 to $44,876 for private sale. Edmunds said $37,650.  I took two quick pictures, paid $5 to post on Craigslist, and asked $37,500. In less than 24 hours, I had sold the truck to a local dealer for my asking price. That amounts to $10k more than it was worth 7 months ago, and about $4.5k more than I paid for the truck, brand new, about 34 months ago.

That’s incredible. Hope you’re feeling better and great to hear from you. Your absence did not go unnoticed.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

brian125 said:

Fords Echo boost is 2.3L turbocharged VCT 10-speed Auto @310h/p. Manual must be fun to drive

* EcoBoost (without an H)...

Somebody had to tell him... :'(
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    @henryn,
    Glad you are doing better and I guess that F150 was able to keep all its' fenders? :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@henryn,
    Glad you are doing better and I guess that F150 was able to keep all its' fenders? :p

Nah, it wasn't the fenders, it was the hood.

brian125 said:

@qbrozen,

Can you provide any further info on this vehicle for me . What price range should I start my offer at for a 2019 mustang Echo Boost base no added options , white/black int , 25,623 miles , one owner ,clean fax. Outstanding in / out. ?

Vin# 1FA6P8THXK5109017
    Major Chevy world Queens, NY Has it listed for $23,800.

Edmunds has private party sale @$21,590
    Dealer retail.......$23,019

Clean ones are fetching $23k-$24k at auction.

This one, however, has a title problem per Autocheck. I can’t give details because I don’t have paid access. This is all I have:

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    henryn said:

Greetings and salutations, long time no see. 

I took two quick pictures, paid $5 to post on Craigslist, and asked $37,500. In less than 24 hours, I had sold the truck to a local dealer for my asking price. That amounts to $10k more than it was worth 7 months ago, and about $4.5k more than I paid for the truck, brand new, about 34 months ago.

Great to hear from you, Henry, and we're all glad that you pulled through from the illness last August! That's definitely a good reason to change things up and enjoy life a little more!

You made out like a bandit with the truck! Congrats.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    xwesx said:

henryn said:

Greetings and salutations, long time no see. 

I took two quick pictures, paid $5 to post on Craigslist, and asked $37,500. In less than 24 hours, I had sold the truck to a local dealer for my asking price. That amounts to $10k more than it was worth 7 months ago, and about $4.5k more than I paid for the truck, brand new, about 34 months ago.

Great to hear from you, Henry, and we're all glad that you pulled through from the illness last August! That's definitely a good reason to change things up and enjoy life a little more!

You made out like a bandit with the truck! Congrats.
    I first read this as 'you made out like a biscuit' and I'm going to now try to make that a thing.

...and welcome back, Henry.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    My kid just received the VIN for the 6MT Crosstrek she ordered over a month ago...estimated delivery date June 2nd, so maybe this will become reality despite the microchip shortage and transport crisis. With all this news about used prices going through the roof and new prices rising, I'm glad I followed suit and ordered a modest little Impreza, base with a 5MT for $19,300 + TTL. I have a feeling that'll look like a good move in a year or three. I would have liked to have a little more equipment, like heated seats and a leather steering wheel, but I was not going to pay four grand extra and then get a "sport" with 18" alloys to drive on mid-Michigan's awful roads.

In my old age, I'm finally realizing that all the things that make a car pleasant on long drives are pretty much useless to me, since my median trip is two miles....and if it's nice out, I ride a bicycle anyway. In other words, the biggest luxury item is a small aluminum engine that blows warm air after a few hundred yards... all the other gimmicks pale in comparison, and Subaru seat heaters are pretty much a joke anyway. As opposed to the 2012 Ford Fusion SEL I bought a year ago... that will leave a waffle grid on your butt if you leave it on high. I'll probably miss that car when it's gone, but I wanted a manual while they still exist.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Man, you really profile as a candidate for a small EV like a Bolt. Other than the manual trans issue.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Not really...i drive like 4k a year...a bolt would be overkill. My wife otoh drives around 20 to 50 miles a day, and for her it'd be perfect. We've talked about it forwhen she's ready to let go of her beloved 03 sienna. I had a wicked gm card offer for the premium bolt only...like 15k off sticker for that high end model. I thought about it.
    @qbrozen, .....................................Thank-you

steine13 said:

My kid just received the VIN for the 6MT Crosstrek she ordered over a month ago...estimated delivery date June 2nd, so maybe this will become reality despite the microchip shortage and transport crisis. With all this news about used prices going through the roof and new prices rising, I'm glad I followed suit and ordered a modest little Impreza, base with a 5MT for $19,300 + TTL. I have a feeling that'll look like a good move in a year or three. I would have liked to have a little more equipment, like heated seats and a leather steering wheel, but I was not going to pay four grand extra and then get a "sport" with 18" alloys to drive on mid-Michigan's awful roads.

In my old age, I'm finally realizing that all the things that make a car pleasant on long drives are pretty much useless to me, since my median trip is two miles....and if it's nice out, I ride a bicycle anyway. In other words, the biggest luxury item is a small aluminum engine that blows warm air after a few hundred yards... all the other gimmicks pale in comparison, and Subaru seat heaters are pretty much a joke anyway. As opposed to the 2012 Ford Fusion SEL I bought a year ago... that will leave a waffle grid on your butt if you leave it on high. I'll probably miss that car when it's gone, but I wanted a manual while they still exist.

In case you didn’t see it, I sent you a message.

• vehiculavehicula Member Posts: 42
    Hello there! I'm looking for a 'real world' dealer trade-in value for my 2018 Honda Accord EX (gasoline.) Used car prices are crazy now so it's tempting to over-estimate the value, but I want to try to keep it real.

After almost three years my car has less than 23,000 miles on the clock, and it has one small, shallow dent (paint not broken) and some curb rash on two wheels. Everything else is in great shape, but to keep things real let's say that it's in Black Book 'Average' condition. I live in Massachusetts (and so does my car.)

I'm almost at the end of a three-year lease and my lease buyout is currently $16,746. How much do you think a Honda dealer would offer me to trade in my car against the lease of a new 2021 Honda vehicle? Thanks for your advice.
    edited May 2021
    eh, I'll say $21k.

But get appraisals from Carmax/Carvana/Vroom and have them in hand when you go to the dealer.

I am not the expert here, he should be along shortly. But I can and will offer you some advice, based on my recent experience. What you should do is to get a quote from all 3 major online car buyers, Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. The prices they offer may shock you (they did me). And the dealer will probably (based on my recent experiences) not offer anywhere close to what the online buyers will offer.

As a quick example, 2 weeks ago I sold my 2016 Chrysler Town and Country and purchased a 2019 Pacifica. Two different car dealers offered me right at $12.5k as a trade in. Carmax and Vroom were within a few dollars of each other, right around $15.6k. Carvana came in at $16,696 and they now have my T&C.

It will only take you a few minutes to get an offer from each of the 3, and it is well worth your trouble and places you under absolutely no obligation.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    henryn said:

I am not the expert here, he should be along shortly. But I can and will offer you some advice, based on my recent experience. What you should do is to get a quote from all 3 major online car buyers, Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. The prices they offer may shock you (they did me). And the dealer will probably (based on my recent experiences) not offer anywhere close to what the online buyers will offer.

As a quick example, 2 weeks ago I sold my 2016 Chrysler Town and Country and purchased a 2019 Pacifica. Two different car dealers offered me right at $12.5k as a trade in. Carmax and Vroom were within a few dollars of each other, right around $15.6k. Carvana came in at $16,696 and they now have my T&C.

It will only take you a few minutes to get an offer from each of the 3, and it is well worth your trouble and places you under absolutely no obligation.

I am sure that I am outlier. I submitted my 2014 BMW 535d X-drive in great condition with 94K miles to Zoom. It took 4 DAYS to get an appraisal. I guess that they don't have too many comps to appraise it quickly. BTW, the estimate was $10,000.00. I wish that I had a Toyota Corolla about the same year and mileage. It would be worth about the same.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

sb55 said:

henryn said:

I am sure that I am outlier. I submitted my 2014 BMW 535d X-drive in great condition with 94K miles to Zoom. It took 4 DAYS to get an appraisal. I guess that they don't have too many comps to appraise it quickly. BTW, the estimate was $10,000.00. I wish that I had a Toyota Corolla about the same year and mileage. It would be worth about the same.
    Zoom? Did you mean to say Vroom?

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    henryn said:

sb55 said:

henryn said:

Zoom? Did you mean to say Vroom?

Whoops. Vroom, not Zoom

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

edited May 2021
    @qbrozen
    Any idea on a fair price for this 2021 M2 Comp?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2021

Not really. Only one sold at auction in recent months. It was back in early April, had 10k miles, and sold for $65,500.

So, compared to that one, this is a great deal.

qbrozen said:

Not really. Only one sold at auction in recent months. It was back in early April, had 10k miles, and sold for $65,500.

So, compared to that one, this is a great deal.

Thanks!

@qbrozen

I like, a lot. Quick 1300 mi, then hardly any from Jan to May. Wonder why? I know I’ve haven’t put 3000 mi on my car since Oct. Work from home and little other driving.

It's interesting looking at carfax reports on Volkswagen TDI cars. They all have a big gap of 2 to 3 years, with no records for service, and no increase in mileage after the gap. I guess we all know where that came from.
    edited May 2021
    sda said:

@qbrozen

I like, a lot. Quick 1300 mi, then hardly any from Jan to May. Wonder why? I know I’ve haven’t put 3000 mi on my car since Oct. Work from home and little other driving.
    It was bought from my dealer ad received the M Car 1,200 mile service there. I'm guessing the buyer thought he wanted an M Car and then found out it was a bit more hard edged than he wanted. Or he could have been like the poor sod I knew on a Mazdaspeed board. He had to sell his Mazdaspeed 3 because his wimpy wife and kids thought it rode too rough and was noisy. My wife and son loved our MS3-my son especially because of all the challenges we received at the Stoplight Grand Prix...

sda said:

@qbrozen

It was bought from my dealer ad received the M Car 1,200 mile service there. I'm guessing the buyer thought he wanted an M Car and then found out it was a bit more hard edged than he wanted. Or he could have been like the poor sod I knew on a Mazdaspeed board. He had to sell his Mazdaspeed 3 because his wimpy wife and kids thought it rode too rough and was noisy. My wife and son loved our MS3-my son especially because of all the challenges we received at the Stoplight Grand Prix...
    Is it going to find a good home who appreciates what it is, yours?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    sda said:

@qbrozen

Probably because of summer tires?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

sda said:

@qbrozen

Probably because of summer tires?
    I forgot about those and understand summer tires are not your friend during winter conditions.

edited May 2021

@sda said:
    Is it going to find a good home who appreciates what it is, yours?

Possibly- if they will drop at least $3k.

So I went and looked at the M2. The Cadillac store was closed so I just did a walk around. It does look brand new(which it should) More weirdness: it has the $2,500 M Drivers Package which got the PO a day at the BMW PC and a 174 mph top speed(instead of the silly 155 mph limiter). I’m at least going to test drive it, although having to negotiate with that flakey dealer is discouraging.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The problem with 174 MPH in the USA is that you'll have a lot of explaining to do if pulled over for it, and most likely the person/people pulling you over won't be in a "listening" type of mood.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Seems pricey, but I love that orange color.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

that's cool.
    I'll just show you what I got.

@qbrozen Thanks again!

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    VIN #: JTMHY7AJ3E4024191
    Dealer is asking $46,700.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Oh heck no....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@dad23 said:
    I think a co-worker is about to make a mistake. What would be a good price to pay for this one please and thank you?
    2014 Landcruiser
    5.7 L
    4WD
    Automatic
    White
    Mileage: 123,796
    VIN #: JTMHY7AJ3E4024191
    Dealer is asking $46,700.

Well, yes, that is too much. But does it matter to this person? Even if it were $42k, does that make it better? It is burning money either way. BTW, the equivalent Lexus LX570 is $5k less on average.