Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is it worth buying a 15 year old Benz with less than 20K miles??

NotacarguyhereNotacarguyhere Member Posts: 2
edited May 2021 in Deals
So its all pretty much in the question, I’ve found an old E280 Mercedes for sale that has gone only 18K miles. The owner basically bought it and stopped using it after two years, it’s been in a garage ever since. Now 18k miles is practically “new” but with aging components, I’m wondering if this is a good deal? The price is ideal at 3.5k USD. I mean, my car doesn’t HAVE to be a Mercedes but the low mileage is really selling me on this thats why I need to know wether low mileage won’t potentially mean a huge cost to make it running again.

I should add, the car hasn’t been moved in years and I haven’t taken a test drive to know for sure but from what I saw it really looked like a car that had been taken care of.

Of course this will still be up for debate, I am skeptical but everything the owner has said checks out, mileage is real and not changed. So what do you guys think??

Thankyou

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

So its all pretty much in the question, I’ve found an old E280 Mercedes for sale that has gone only 18K miles. The owner basically bought it and stopped using it after two years, it’s been in a garage ever since. Now 18k miles is practically “new” but with aging components, I’m wondering if this is a good deal? The price is ideal at 3.5k USD. I mean, my car doesn’t HAVE to be a Mercedes but the low mileage is really selling me on this thats why I need to know wether low mileage won’t potentially mean a huge cost to make it running again.

I should add, the car hasn’t been moved in years and I haven’t taken a test drive to know for sure but from what I saw it really looked like a car that had been taken care of.

Of course this will still be up for debate, I am skeptical but everything the owner has said checks out, mileage is real and not changed. So what do you guys think??

Thankyou

E280? Where are you located?

Hard to find a car that's decent for $3500. But, if it has needs, they are likely to be expensive. It's still a Mercedes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• NotacarguyhereNotacarguyhere Member Posts: 2
    kyfdx said:

Thankyou

Hard to find a car that's decent for $3500. But, if it has needs, they are likely to be expensive. It's still a Mercedes
    Dubai. Thing is, dude is loaded and he’s basically clearing it out of his garage. The costs are still something that worries me, but I mean 3500 for a Mercedes with less than 20k miles? That’s a bargain. We do Kilometers here but I just switched it to miles
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

kyfdx said:

Thankyou

Dubai. Thing is, dude is loaded and he’s basically clearing it out of his garage. The costs are still something that worries me, but I mean 3500 for a Mercedes with less than 20k miles? That’s a bargain. We do Kilometers here but I just switched it to miles
    Got it.. I figured you were elsewhere, as we never had an E280 in the US.

Seems cheap. You can always dump it, if it becomes problematic

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator