Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2021

@benjaminh
    I like seeing these photos of the museums I'll likely never get to go see.

But I'm curious as to your camera that you're getting all these great photos using?

Thanks for the kinds words—but it's just the camera in my low-cost android phone. I downrez them before posting so that they're not too large. The original resolution is c. 4000 x 3000, and these are c.1000 by 750. I heard about this museum about twenty years ago, or maybe more, and I wasn't sure if I'd ever go. But I'm glad I finally made the trek.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    @benjaminh, as you know I always enjoy your historical car ads, time period ads, and travel pics. Please keep them coming and we will travel with you.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Ever heard of a Chevy Feretta?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opz5aEPP0fs
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    fintail said:

This is interesting - I decided look for that apparent DD Lark on Google street view. I can see it on the aerial photo, and on street view it isn't there, but apparently its owner is into using an old car for a regular vehicle.

That's some solid investigating! You should stop by one of these weekends and see if you can chat with him!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    1962 Studebaker Hawk in Fairbanks.... This is quite the rarity around here!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I need to figure out which house it belongs to. I have a feeling I know - on the other side of the street, there's a house that kind of makes me think of Biff's grandma's house in BTTF, and it now also has a couple of whiny political signs. It also has a large garage behind it. I'll have to wait for someone to be outside with one of the cars, gives me a slight vibe that someone might throw a shoe at you (or worse) if you walked up to it.

Hawk link doesn't work for me.
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

This is interesting - I decided look for that apparent DD Lark on Google street view. I can see it on the aerial photo, and on street view it isn't there, but apparently its owner is into using an old car for a regular vehicle.

That's some solid investigating! You should stop by one of these weekends and see if you can chat with him!

A resto-mod two tone orange and cream 56 Bel Air coupe. The driver, a big fella around 60 was driving it like a jerk in our neighborhood. I was not impressed.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054
    I know it's bad to generalize, but I have seen that type of thing with Big Three restomod drivers myself, LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I couldn't get the '62 Hawk in Fairbanks link to work, darn it.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    On BaT now--the transaxle from James Dean's 550 Spyder in which he was killed. $128K with six days to go.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/gearbox/
    edited May 2021
    Spokane Cars and Coffee, first time I have been to one. Not a huge gathering, but a few odd spots. Even another MB, a W124 400E, somewhat unusual and very clean, owned by a MB salesman who got it for his teenaged son, who is also into it. A little of everything from the 60s onward anyway. Nova appeared to be a street legal drag car, resto-mod Camaro was well-done, Mk 1 Jettas are thin on the ground along with clean Sciroccos, etc, I only stuck around for about an hour, as it appeared rain showers were coming, and someone doesn't like to get wet:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2021
    @fintail
    Thanks for the pictures.

This

and this

are like scratching my fingernails on a blackboard. Was that original equipment in the Nova?
    The 64? Chev is a pretty car in a pretty color with a good roofline. But... the wheels, the lowering, the gold headlight covers... ???
    Just my personal opinion and preferences.
    I like that blue MB.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I would love something like that generation Camaro. Of course would make a few different choices (wheels, and scrap the chin diffuser) but I like the concept.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited May 2021
    Yep it's the "drag package" which included the 900 cubic inch engine with hi-riser and the parachute attached to the back B)

That stuff doesn't get to me too much, such cars were being modified like this so long ago that these mods are almost retro now.

@fintail
    Thanks for the pictures.

This

and this

are like scratching my fingernails on a blackboard. Was that original equipment in the Nova?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    Growing up in SoCal, I was exposed to low riders my entire life. I wasn’t keen on it then, but as I’ve gotten older I appreciate that those owners love their cars as much as we love ours.

Same with the “stance” movement - while I wouldn’t like something like that for myself, I appreciate the idea behind it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I liked lowriders when I was a kid, those with metalflake paint and actual working hydraulics especially - maybe as I lived in eastern WA which has long had a strong Latino community, the cars were more common than in other places, so I was exposed to them. The 63 Impala in that pic had full hydraulics, too - thanks to lowriders, stock Impalas are not as common as their production numbers suggest.

That stanced 240SX next to my car is pretty hardcore, and I would never want something like that for myself, but no harm done. It looked to be built properly anyway, - that's what counts. I know some don't like my preference for stock cars, but can appreciate them (fintail got many a compliment today, even from younglings).
    fintail said:

I liked lowriders when I was a kid, those with metalflake paint and actual working hydraulics especially - maybe as I lived in eastern WA which has long had a strong Latino community, the cars were more common than in other places, so I was exposed to them. The 63 Impala in that pic had full hydraulics, too - thanks to lowriders, stock Impalas are not as common as their production numbers suggest.

That stanced 240SX next to my car is pretty hardcore, and I would never want something like that for myself, but no harm done. It looked to be built properly anyway, - that's what counts. I know some don't like my preference for stock cars, but can appreciate them (fintail got many a compliment today, even from younglings).

Exactly - the automotive world is big enough for likes of all shapes and sizes. Even the big lifted HD trucks get some admiration.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Unless they have poorly aimed lights, and/or roll coal - then there's a special level of hell for them B)
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

Exactly - the automotive world is big enough for likes of all shapes and sizes. Even the big lifted HD trucks get some admiration.
    fintail said:

Unless they have poorly aimed lights, and/or roll coal - then there's a special level of hell for them B)

Michaell said:

fintail said:

The lights may be ignorance, but the rolling coal - yeah, that's a conscious behavior, and it's annoying. A lot like the dimwits who ran their fog lights on their BMW's in the 80's.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

I put rolling coal at a different level, it’s affecting my health, major pollution event.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    '70 Pontiac convertible has to be uber rare.

I really like the Scirocco.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I used to dislike '70 big Pontiacs, but I like them now.
    If it was a Ventura, I'd like it better--little nicer interior and far-rarer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

I used to dislike '70 big Pontiacs, but I like them now.
    If it was a Ventura, I'd like it better--little nicer interior and far-rarer.

I'm not real fond of the '70 model nose. My uncle had a sedan. Not sure I've ever seen that year/model of Pontiac convertible, before.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The foglights all day crowd seems to have migrated to taller vehicles, another thing that annoys is LED lightbars on brodozers - fortunately, a lot of that gingerbread seems to be bought from Wish or Alibaba, and isn't exactly durable (not that most of these pavement princesses will see off road use anyway). I can understand how pickups are the new full sized cars and cloned suburbanites will use them as commuter rigs, but I have to snicker just a little when I see lifted variants also living in tract house orchards where they are taken on unpaved roads about as often as I do similar in the fintail).
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

fintail said:

The lights may be ignorance, but the rolling coal - yeah, that's a conscious behavior, and it's annoying. A lot like the dimwits who ran their fog lights on their BMW's in the 80's.
    fintail said:

The foglights all day crowd seems to have migrated to taller vehicles, another thing that annoys is LED lightbars on brodozers - fortunately, a lot of that gingerbread seems to be bought from Wish or Alibaba, and isn't exactly durable (not that most of these pavement princesses will see off road use anyway). I can understand how pickups are the new full sized cars and cloned suburbanites will use them as commuter rigs, but I have to snicker just a little when I see lifted variants also living in tract house orchards where they are taken on unpaved roads about as often as I do similar in the fintail).

Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

fintail said:

In other words, don't hate the game, hate the player?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Maybe not hate, just snark ;)

Gotta give credit to the marketers, too.
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

fintail said:

In other words, don't hate the game, hate the player?

I couldn't get the '62 Hawk in Fairbanks link to work, darn it.

I'll post a photo and the gist. It's a facebook group, so probably requires membership.
    "Originally belonged to my great Uncle, then my father, and now me. I hate to sell the old girl, but I just don’t drive her very much. Would love her to go to a new home where she will be driven and loved as much as we have.
    89,965 miles but it’s on its second engine with only 35,000 on it.
    $16,500 obo
    Can not deliver anywhere other than Fairbanks, Alaska. Anywhere else, you’ll need to make arrangements.
    "

fintail said:

fintail got many a compliment today, even from younglings.

Good thing; otherwise, we might have ended up with a holorecording of @fintail ... killing younglings! :D
    Nice looking Stude, now we know where Chevy got the design for the Monte Carlo's fan shroud!
    Nice color on that Hawk, interesting tires too, I wonder if they are really old. As the price is "obo", I bet someone could get a deal on it, maybe not bad for an unusual car.
    @texases,
    Based on the size of that shroud, I was thinking there is enough room there for a V12. :D
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Can one of the Studey experts tell us which engine that is? The lack of engine labeling leads me to believe it’s the base 289.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited May 2021
    In '62, all Hawks were 289's--2 barrel was 210 hp; 4 barrel was 225 hp. The "R" series engines weren't available until the '63 model year--R1 at 240 hp; R2 at 289. For '64, the R3 was also available (335 hp) but none were factory-installed in a Hawk.
    That powder blue is a correct '62 color although I can't think what they called it--I think Riviera Blue believe it or not.
    The back seat looks nice, but covers over the front seat make me wonder.
    The photo of the instrument panel makes me think something I simply can't stand about certain Gran Turismo Hawks--since there's no pics of a clock (left 1/3 of panel) or tach (right 1/3 of panel), I'd say the car is not equipped with them, which means there's big, blank woodgrained panels in both of those places, LOL.
    The valve colors were yellow from the factory on those cars.
    Still, pretty nice-looking car. Gran Turismo Hawks (particularly the '64) are my favorite Studebakers.
    I like that, as on concurrent Continentals, the bodysides are outlined in chrome.
    Here's one I'd always loved to own. I remember this magazine issue. The car was purchased in 1969 by the father of the author, who was also the Feature Article author in the Studebaker Driver's Club magazine. It's Bordeaux Red, red cloth interior, 4-speed, factory A/C. The original owner was from CA and traded in a '57 Silver Hawk on it. He went to look for a Hawk in Feb. '64 which was a couple months after it had been discontinued. His dealer called South Bend with his requirements: stick shift and A/C, and this was one of the cars still in factory inventory there. He took it, and it was shipped by Studebaker to CA. It's still owned by the same family since '69.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I found this around the corner from my vacation condo...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2021
    Jogged by the Lark - it wasn't there, but this car from streetview was parked on the street:

Definitely a 10 footer, clean and straight, but not a concours trailer queen, which lends to the idea that the owner drives these cars regularly.

Also saw a 62 Chevy sedan on the road, Bel Air or Biscayne, rattlecan paint job but was moving along fine with no odd noises, etc., and I think the same early 80s Corolla coupe I photographed some months ago.
    edited May 2021
    Not a spotting, but neat story in the "Hot Rod" blog about this six-cylinder, column-shift 3-speed '68 Camaro with over 500K miles, still driven daily by the original owner, who's the Director of the Griffith Observatory in LA:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/one-owner-1968-camaro-found-griffith-park/?wc_mid=4035:21406&wc_rid=4035:1076571&_wcsid=5F38EB4024F1A1746EB5C7420A94B3ABFD4E69F9654EE958
    That was a fun read. I wonder how rare the small 6 is compared to the "big" 250.
    I had missed that it had the 230. Now that I think of it, didn't the 250 come with a badge on the front fender to that effect?
    Last night on the way home, what looked like a '57 Chevy except in the form of a hearse. Sort of like this except in a deep red with airbrushed flames and roses along the sides. Very cool looking, and was impressively powering up a long grade on the highway at around 70 (in a 55). Shortly after it flew by me, the drive let up to take a left up the road, and the car started pouring blue smoke out the exhaust. Haha.

Well, it's like 65 years old now, so....
    edited May 2021
    I had missed that it had the 230. Now that I think of it, didn't the 250 come with a badge on the front fender to that effect?

Yes, it did. The 250 was a $26 option in '67. Our new Chevelle 300 Deluxe had it.
    The big Chevys with six that year came with the 250 (155 hp); the Chevy II, Camaro, and Chevelle came with the 230 (140 hp) and had the 250 optionally. Totally unscientifically, seems to me that over the years when I've seen sixes on the road (no V8 emblems) or at cruises or shows, they've been the 250, based on the emblem, versus ones I've seen with no emblem.
    Out on the road today: 66 Impala convertible, 64 Impala HT lowrider, 70 Pontiac Executive sedan in slightly rough original condition but moving along, pristine late 70s Ford 4x4, Lancer wagon, 60s Datsun PU, 64-66 T-Bird with the top half chopped off - not the top, but the windshield and everything (it wasn't driving).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Out I farm country, driving around, a 70s vintage Seville. The nova style one. Yellow, looked a little beat but moving ok.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Have seen this a few times where it is parked. Finally took a picture.

edited May 2021
    Rambler Country Club? Pretty rare. I always assumed those have like a 1000 ft turning radius.

Stopped by Cars and Coffee again today - temps in the lower 80s, which is pushing it in the fintail when the skies are clear, car becomes an oven. Mostly the same group as before - modern muscle, Subie/VW kids/guys, a couple of 70s Vettes. 3 obscure sightings:

Someone loves their 87-88 Bird:

Custom van was entertaining:

I probably liked this most - 66 Fairlane in very original condition, not messed with like so many are. 289, blackwalls, wheel covers, manual brakes but power steering - looked like they did back in the day, old repaint had a nice patina, don't see them like this too much, everyone wants to be a GT:

edited June 2021
    Near Presque Isle in Erie, PA this past Sunday, I spotted a white '64 Chevelle Malibu four-door station wagon, very clean and original-looking other than its slightly-lowered stance, big wheels and rubber-band tires.
    RE. the red Fairline--I've long-thought the '66 and '67 Fairlanes were the best-looking Ford mid-sizes, ever, to my eyes.
    Presque Isle is a nice area. Erie itself is a bit long in tooth, but there are some highlights! The maritime museum is a good visit.
    edited June 2021

Erie gets pretty harsh winters, but I took this pic off the porch of our friends’ house last Saturday near sundown. And that’s no filter. I have a rather plain phone and wouldn’t begin to know how to apply a filter.

Friends live in that house year/round and they themselves do winter maintenance on their street as the city does not in the winter.

Erie gets pretty harsh winters, but I took this pic off the porch of our friends’ house last Saturday near sundown. And that’s no filter. I have a rather plain phone and wouldn’t begin to know how to apply a filter.

Friends live in that house year/round and they themselves do winter maintenance on their street as the city does not in the winter.

Post card perfect. Do they still make post cards?