Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I had a plate collection when I was a kid, usually gleaned from yard sales. When I was a student and my mom had a blowout yard sale, the plates went.

benjaminh said:

A few times as a kid or teenager when I'd look at old car ads or brochures I'd notice sometimes that they wouldn't include the front license plate. Since where I grew up in California there were front plates I thought the old car art was part of this fantasy world where the car existed without a front license, but that this wouldn't actually happen in the real world. But, of course, as mentioned that is the way things work in several states. What doesn't make sense to me in Kentucky is that we are required to actually replace the rear license plate every few years, which seems a waste. I mean a plate can last the life of the car, and that's the way thing still work in California as far as I know. So in KY we save by not having a front plate, whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but then that savings is thrown away by making us replace the rear plate periodically.

And hey, am I the only one here who had a license plate collection as a kid? I got them at junk yards, garage sales, and who knows where else. When I was 13 or so my parents convinced me to throw the collection out when we moved.

Anyway, no front license needed for a 54 Pontiac—at least according to this brochure.

edited May 2021
    I saw his recent MB videos. He's amazed it was so cheap, but really he paid a market correct price for that car. The market has never warmed up to old MB sedans, probably due to the high costs to right a neglected car, and that they aren't "sporty". Nice old car he got though, loads of build quality and presence for the money.

fintail said:

I am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it. I look at it two other ways, too - don't be too offended that you are being tracked and observed by your plates, when dashcammers like myself are recording every drive we take, from the front and back, and we might just spot you on the road - you're always being recorded somewhere whether in public or private. Also, front plates have always been a thing where these cars are designed and (mostly) built, places that have a far more developed driving culture than on this side of the pond. If it works there, that's not a bad thing. In my experience, backing in isn't a problem there, either B)

Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    We smarter more refined people prefer to back in;
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    You got something against freedom?
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Not all of them are redneck states.
    I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    Of course sheeple think that they are just wonderful.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!
    If I have to decide between a couple of scofflaws escaping and my car being defaced by a front plate, I'm afraid I'll have to side with my car's esthetics.
    Well, Police License Plate Readers don't just catch people who may ruin your nice wax job, they also pick up drivers with suspended licenses, drivers without insurance, drivers with old plates, stolen cars, people who haven't paid fines....and the scanner can read from the front, the rear and licenses to the side, about 1800 an hour. I don't think a front license plate detracts at all if it is designed properly. It is a very efficient way to keep the roads a little safer: 2 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBClFEQQJk
    Speaking of your old car, I think Hoovie bought it’s cousin.
    https://youtu.be/UY6uKaehDyw
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@henryn said:
    When I was a young man, that was a common site in road houses and honky-tonks. One wall (or more than one) covered in license plates. The older the better, the farther away the better.

The place that I really like, the coolest bar ever bar none, has them all over the place. I have a plate from an official car from the 1960 Republican national convention that I am giving to them in my will.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    driver100 said:

For the record, the license doesn't make much difference esthetically speaking;

It does to me. It's an eyesore.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

I still remain thankful that KY doesn’t require a front plate.

Isn't it part of your sworn oath to catch the bad guys....that to me is more important than how pretty my front bumper looks. :p
    You have your priorities, I have mine.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited May 2021

driver100 said:

Isn't it part of your sworn oath to catch the bad guys....that to me is more important than how pretty my front bumper looks. :p
    If I was a taxpayer in that jurisdiction, I would hope the priority would be catching the bad guys, the hit and run guys, the one's who don't pay tickets, the ones driving without insurance or who have lost their license................

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@fintail am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it.
    Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.

Remember too....the reader can review 1800 license plates an hour....but the only plates it actually brings up are the ones that are problematic. It is really like a camera the TV stations use or they show on the internet.....you can see license plates but it doesn't mean anything unless they should pull that license.

edited May 2021
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

If I was a taxpayer in that jurisdiction, I would hope the priority would be catching the bad guys, the hit and run guys, the one's who don't pay tickets, the ones driving without insurance or who have lost their license................
    I only prosecute felonies; you couldn't pay me enough to deal with misdemeanors and violations like the County Attorneys are required to do.
    That said, if you are determined to stay in sanctimonious lecture mode(and I'm relatively certain that you are), might I suggest you direct your words towards those "progressive" jurisdictions where traffic stops have almost been eliminated and where the DAs don't prosecute anything other than the most serious offenses.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!
    Also doubles the chances a red-light camera will mail you a citation too.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited May 2021

andres3 said:

@andres3 said:

The problem is that apparently you can be targeted, aimed at, and rammed into deliberately in a parking lot if you "back out" no matter how slowly, and you will be found 100% at fault as you are "backing" and do not have the right of way. Those two facts are apparently good for 1,000% full-proof tightness with insurance.

Can't you also be targeted and rammed into pulling out forward? And wouldn't still be your fault?

Not necessarily. First, you can go out faster, quicker, and more swiftly going forward. It's much easier to see and control going fast forward. Also, you have additional gears to actually "go fast" should you need to dodge an incoming bogey.
    Secondly, going "backwards" does put you at a disadvantage liability wise. It is assumed the person going backwards has the greater duty of care, and the person going forward is just driving "normally." It's pretty much the same hard and fast rule that rear-ending someone always makes you at fault. It's an insurance thing.
    Lastly... who's driving down a parking lot aisle in a straight line using their right of way in reverse? No one! LOL. That's what people going forward do. Very very very tough to pin blame on someone going forward if you were going backward. It's even Steven if you are both backing up or both going forward.

Actually the same rules apply. If someone wants to take the opportunity to commit insurance fraud as you're pulling out they are going to do it if your pulling out just as easily as if you're backing out. And in reality pulling out faster is more likely to get you into an accident since cross traffic will have less time and warning to avoid you.

Backing out doesn't put you at a disadvantage liability wise as your liability is the same regardless of if you are backing out or pulling out. Oh and if someone is going down the aisle backwards and you are pulling out of a space forward the person backing up has the right of way so the collision would be your fault if you are pulling out of a stall.

It's not the same rules because "backing up" automatically makes you at fault in the insurance world. You are guilty until proven innocent when backing.
    Pulling out faster makes it less likely to get hit by someone that isn't paying attention. You give them less time to hit you, and you are less of a sitting duck. This goes back to your problem of realizing that not all collisions are from lack of reaction time for other people. Often they have no reaction. Once you start backing out, and your rear end is sticking out, even if you stop/stopped, a person can ram you in the back corner and you'll get blamed for it, even if you stopped because they have the "right of way." That's exactly what happened to me, only I was going about 0.5 MPH and didn't have time to hit the brakes in time to get down to zero. From what I could gather out of Geico, it wouldn't have mattered, I was at least 3/4 of the way out of my space and you'd think someone would see me and stop rather than try to ram rod through.
    That's why you want to go forward; you don't have "auto" liability for a collision when your going forward, and you have the advantage if they are backing.

Lastly, you reiterated your same point from before, but as I said, when's the last time you saw someone going down a parking aisle in reverse for a long distance? I don't think it's ever happened to me. It would be dumb for them to do that; especially if they don't have a 2-way dash cam and back up cam setup. You are better off reducing your time in reverse as close to zero as possible if you don't want to get blamed (even partially) for terrible driving and other terrible drivers trying to collide with you.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    benjaminh said:

No issues with parking any direction at this very remote park near the Ohio river. A gravel road leads to it and dead-ends, and so the only way to turn around is to drive on the grass. Just my 2 cents, but I think almost all vehicles look better without a front license plate.

And I think vehicles look better on green grass.

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    No front plates in Pennsylvania. I never heard of that.
    NO front plates in OH, either. That’s pretty recent though. We have no requirements to back in or pull in front first. Matter of fact, those who back in to parking spaces (as I see at Costco) take way too long to park. Park and get the heck out of the way.
    Personally, I have never been bothered by someone taking a bit of extra time to back in to a space at Costco....because I would rather have them do that than coming zooming out rear end first....and that makes me think of the ones who can even back out at the same time as the car opposite them is backing out....that doesn't happen if going in rear first.
    Doesn't backing your car into the spot at Costco make it harder to load your car?
    YES! LOL. Although with the TTS the side mirrors fold in when locked, and I can often fit a cart through in between cars as long as someone didn't park real close.
    fintail said:

I am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it. I look at it two other ways, too - don't be too offended that you are being tracked and observed by your plates, when dashcammers like myself are recording every drive we take, from the front and back, and we might just spot you on the road - you're always being recorded somewhere whether in public or private. Also, front plates have always been a thing where these cars are designed and (mostly) built, places that have a far more developed driving culture than on this side of the pond. If it works there, that's not a bad thing. In my experience, backing in isn't a problem there, either B)

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

If I have to decide between a couple of scofflaws escaping and my car being defaced by a front plate, I'm afraid I'll have to side with my car's esthetics.
    Well, Police License Plate Readers don't just catch people who may ruin your nice wax job, they also pick up drivers with suspended licenses, drivers without insurance, drivers with old plates, stolen cars, people who haven't paid fines....and the scanner can read from the front, the rear and licenses to the side, about 1800 an hour. I don't think a front license plate detracts at all if it is designed properly. It is a very efficient way to keep the roads a little safer: 2 minute video
    I'm all for Hit and Run being enforced and prosecuted. However, I think if just 25% of the effort wasted on speed enforcement was redirected and reallocated to Hit & Runs, it would be at least 10-20 times more effective than front license plates. Let's start there before mandating it.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@benjaminh said:
    A few times as a kid or teenager when I'd look at old car ads or brochures I'd notice sometimes that they wouldn't include the front license plate. Since where I grew up in California there were front plates I thought the old car art was part of this fantasy world where the car existed without a front license, but that this wouldn't actually happen in the real world. But, of course, as mentioned that is the way things work in several states. What doesn't make sense to me in Kentucky is that we are required to actually replace the rear license plate every few years, which seems a waste. I mean a plate can last the life of the car, and that's the way thing still work in California as far as I know. So in KY we save by not having a front plate, whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but then that savings is thrown away by making us replace the rear plate periodically.

And hey, am I the only one here who had a license plate collection as a kid? I got them at junk yards, garage sales, and who knows where else. When I was 13 or so my parents convinced me to throw the collection out when we moved.

Anyway, no front license needed for a 54 Pontiac—at least according to this brochure.

My Dad had a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain in two-tone blue. I know it had front plates because NY has always required front plates.

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032

The history channel is running a multipart series on the automobile.
    The Cars That Made America. And some other names.
    I've watched much of the 3 parts of the Cars That Made America.
    Lots of repetition between commercials, sort of like Judge Judy.

That mini-series had a chance to be good. It missed though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

abacomike said:

@benjaminh said:

My Dad had a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain in two-tone blue. I know it had front plates because NY has always required front plates.

We used to visit family in Patchogue N.Y. in the 50s and the license plates said "The Empire State" and were black and orange.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I only prosecute felonies; you couldn't pay me enough to deal with misdemeanors and violations like the County Attorneys are required to do.
    That said, if you are determined to stay in sanctimonious lecture mode(and I'm relatively certain that you are), might I suggest you direct your words towards those "progressive" jurisdictions where traffic stops have almost been eliminated and where the DAs don't prosecute anything other than the most serious offenses.
    No problem enjoying misdemeanors over felonies, everyone has different interests. I don't follow your career path that closely.
    I didn't know that expressing opinions and dialogue equate to sanctimonious lectures. I guess it does if you already know all the answers.
    I thought since I favor law and order that made me "anti-progressive". But labeling people in advance even though you have no idea about them helps make your point.

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Seeing that red light cameras take a picture of you as you are going through the intersection capturing the back of your car I don't see how having a front plate would increase your chances of getting caught by a red light camera.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    fintail said:

I saw his recent MB videos. He's amazed it was so cheap, but really he paid a market correct price for that car. The market has never warmed up to old MB sedans, probably due to the high costs to right a neglected car, and that they aren't "sporty". Nice old car he got though, loads of build quality and presence for the money.

fintail said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Saw the two vids on that car, too. I thought the same thing…not sure why he thought it was cheap. Matter of fact, I thought it was a tad on the high side once the gets the A/C fixed and some of the other nigglies taken care of. Coo car, though. There are lots of other cars I’d buy for $10K before that one, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Front plates…..can’t recall if I’ve run with a front plate in OH for the last decade or two. But, it’s just become legal to do so.

Whenever a dealer said they’d put the plates on for any new ride, I told them not to bother, not even with the front plate holder. I would do it myself. Of course, I never did.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

@andres3 said:

The problem is that apparently you can be targeted, aimed at, and rammed into deliberately in a parking lot if you "back out" no matter how slowly, and you will be found 100% at fault as you are "backing" and do not have the right of way. Those two facts are apparently good for 1,000% full-proof tightness with insurance.

Can't you also be targeted and rammed into pulling out forward? And wouldn't still be your fault?

Not necessarily. First, you can go out faster, quicker, and more swiftly going forward. It's much easier to see and control going fast forward. Also, you have additional gears to actually "go fast" should you need to dodge an incoming bogey.
    Secondly, going "backwards" does put you at a disadvantage liability wise. It is assumed the person going backwards has the greater duty of care, and the person going forward is just driving "normally." It's pretty much the same hard and fast rule that rear-ending someone always makes you at fault. It's an insurance thing.
    Lastly... who's driving down a parking lot aisle in a straight line using their right of way in reverse? No one! LOL. That's what people going forward do. Very very very tough to pin blame on someone going forward if you were going backward. It's even Steven if you are both backing up or both going forward.

Actually the same rules apply. If someone wants to take the opportunity to commit insurance fraud as you're pulling out they are going to do it if your pulling out just as easily as if you're backing out. And in reality pulling out faster is more likely to get you into an accident since cross traffic will have less time and warning to avoid you.

Backing out doesn't put you at a disadvantage liability wise as your liability is the same regardless of if you are backing out or pulling out. Oh and if someone is going down the aisle backwards and you are pulling out of a space forward the person backing up has the right of way so the collision would be your fault if you are pulling out of a stall.
    It's not the same rules because "backing up" automatically makes you at fault in the insurance world. You are guilty until proven innocent when backing.
    Pulling out faster makes it less likely to get hit by someone that isn't paying attention. You give them less time to hit you, and you are less of a sitting duck. This goes back to your problem of realizing that not all collisions are from lack of reaction time for other people. Often they have no reaction. Once you start backing out, and your rear end is sticking out, even if you stop/stopped, a person can ram you in the back corner and you'll get blamed for it, even if you stopped because they have the "right of way." That's exactly what happened to me, only I was going about 0.5 MPH and didn't have time to hit the brakes in time to get down to zero. From what I could gather out of Geico, it wouldn't have mattered, I was at least 3/4 of the way out of my space and you'd think someone would see me and stop rather than try to ram rod through.
    That's why you want to go forward; you don't have "auto" liability for a collision when your going forward, and you have the advantage if they are backing.

Lastly, you reiterated your same point from before, but as I said, when's the last time you saw someone going down a parking aisle in reverse for a long distance? I don't think it's ever happened to me. It would be dumb for them to do that; especially if they don't have a 2-way dash cam and back up cam setup. You are better off reducing your time in reverse as close to zero as possible if you don't want to get blamed (even partially) for terrible driving and other terrible drivers trying to collide with you.

You have to forget the "backing up" rule, it's not that you are backing up that gives you the liability it's that you are pulling into traffic. So backing out of a spot does not increase your liability as it is the same as if you are pulling straight out. You are at fault regardless of if you are going forward or not.

As for going down the parking aisle in reverse for a long distance I did that about a week ago. I was leaving the local Home Depot and decided to leave the by heading towards the store to get out, it's usually easier to get out that way due to lot design and how I wanted to proceed once I got to the main road. However this particular day that was a mistake as traffic right along the front of the store for whatever reason came to a complete halt. Since I quickly realized that traffic wasn't moving in that area and that there were several cars in this aisle waiting for traffic to clear so seeing that there was no one behind me I backed up far enough for me to take a different path out of the lot. Yes this is an extreme example that rarely happens but you do often see people backing up for short distances for various reasons. However this is meaningless as regardless of if you are pulling out or backing up your liability is exactly the same.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,440
    I don’t think hoovie was going on about his particular car was abnormally cheap. Just the market value on those models. But even he notes it’s just the 4 doors that are cheap. Same car in coupe or convertible is way more money. Because in classics/old cars/toys, general rule is nobody wants a sedan.

Even with the few minor needs, it sounds like he got a very nice condition survivor. Just not sure what you would do with it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@graphicguy said:
    Front plates…..can’t recall if I’ve run with a front plate in OH for the last decade or two. But, it’s just become legal to do so.

Whenever a dealer said they’d put the plates on for any new ride, I told them not to bother, not even with the front plate holder. I would do it myself. Of course, I never did.

Down here on the Florida Toll Roads and even at major airports for parking, cameras are set up to “read” your license plate tag if you don’t have a “SunPass” transponder. Tolls are recorded using a higher toll charge and a bill is sent to your home or business along with an administration fee.

Out of State tagged vehicles also receive a statement, but collecting that toll can be difficult. I don’t know what the Florida DOT does if tolls are not paid by out of State vehicles. I would like to know what Florida does in those cases.

2021 Genesis G90

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

Down here on the Florida Toll Roads and even at major airports for parking, cameras are set up to “read” your license plate tag if you don’t have a “SunPass” transponder. Tolls are recorded using a higher toll charge and a bill is sent to your home or business along with an administration fee.

Out of State tagged vehicles also receive a statement, but collecting that toll can be difficult. I don’t know what the Florida DOT does if tolls are not paid by out of State vehicles. I would like to know what Florida does in those cases.

They toll rental cars through the rental companies. Just got my bill for the trip to Florida. They overcharged me by $3.95, but I think I'll let it slide...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2021
    abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

From my last experience about 4 years ago out-of-state cars don't have to pay to drive on toll roads in Florida. But, I think Sun Pass is a national much more sophisticated system, and if you use a Sun toll road and don't have a transponder, a bill gets sent to you....they have access to your address now. Of course Florida residents can't renew their license until the bill is paid. I can't find out anything definitive about what they can do to you if you don't pay and live out of state or in Canada.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    edited May 2021
    Virginia was the only state that I've lived in that required a license plate on the front. FL, LA, TN, NC, SC, not required. SC is the only state in recent years that I've live in that does not require a safety inspection. Lots of hoopties running around with the CEL on, bald tires and the like.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

They send you to a collection agency most likely.

When I rented the van a couple weeks ago, I just brought along my ez pass. Worked just fine at every toll point, at the normal car rate. And a side note, it’s absurdly expensive to make the short (5 minute?) stretch into Boston from 95 to 395. That RT cost more than the pike front NY to 95!

edited May 2021
    abacomike said:

@graphicguy said:

My guess is that they would contact your states DMV and if your state has a reciprocal agreement with them then you will have to satisfy the amount due before renewing your registration. Pretty much like if you owed a fee or fine in your own state.

BTW why doesn't the Florida site to calculate tolls doesn't seem to work?

Also when will the Florida turnpike start accepting EZ pass?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    NO front plates in OH, either. That’s pretty recent though. We have no requirements to back in or pull in front first. Matter of fact, those who back in to parking spaces (as I see at Costco) take way too long to park. Park and get the heck out of the way.
    Personally, I have never been bothered by someone taking a bit of extra time to back in to a space at Costco....because I would rather have them do that than coming zooming out rear end first....and that makes me think of the ones who can even back out at the same time as the car opposite them is backing out....that doesn't happen if going in rear first.
    Doesn't backing your car into the spot at Costco make it harder to load your car?
    YES! LOL. Although with the TTS the side mirrors fold in when locked, and I can often fit a cart through in between cars as long as someone didn't park real close.
    I’ve noticed more times than not where a person backs in and stays pretty much perfectly centered between their parking spot but the cars on either side, while between their lines, are over too far thereby not allowing enough space to get a shopping cart through so that they can get to their trunk. It’s almost funny because they all seem to react the same way. They turn their head from side to side pondering how they’re going to get to their trunk. In the end they leave the cart at their front bumper and go back and forth carrying their purchases to their trunk.

From that I deduce that while they might be good drivers and can park between the lines that doesn’t make them smart in the head.

Yeah, let’s circle back to why backing in isn’t as smart as some folks would like us to believe.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@benjaminh said:

We used to visit family in Patchogue N.Y. in the 50s and the license plates said "The Empire State" and were black and orange.

So, you’re good at colors but can you stay between the lines. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Drive it! That's what they were built for. With Hoovie's hoard, it may be hard to find time, and I suspect he will move the MB on soon enough. These cars are some of the best hobby cars - relatively inexpensive (to buy), generally reliable, good looks, strong presence, and they are nice to drive. I suspect some are still DDs, but that might get old as older ones seldom have AC, and the V8s especially are not fuel misers.
    stickguy said:

I don’t think hoovie was going on about his particular car was abnormally cheap. Just the market value on those models. But even he notes it’s just the 4 doors that are cheap. Same car in coupe or convertible is way more money. Because in classics/old cars/toys, general rule is nobody wants a sedan.

Even with the few minor needs, it sounds like he got a very nice condition survivor. Just not sure what you would do with it.

15K would buy one a degree nicer, if one is a perfectionist, that'd be the way to go - cheaper to buy one someone else has sorted than to do it yourself. I too thought the BaT bids on his car were completely reasonable. Even when sold by MBCA members who are generally proud of their cars, 108s that are real beauties can be had for 15K or so, approach 20K and it needs to be a fairly pristine low miles car. Either way, it was cool to see old MB sedans get positive attention.

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Saw the two vids on that car, too. I thought the same thing…not sure why he thought it was cheap. Matter of fact, I thought it was a tad on the high side once the gets the A/C fixed and some of the other nigglies taken care of. Coo car, though. There are lots of other cars I’d buy for $10K before that one, though.
    If the energy devoted to speed enforcement was used on turn signal enforcement, distracted driving enforcement, etc, the lavish bennies given to much of the law and order industry could fund themselves.

Again with front plates, it works fine in areas with a far superior motoring culture to here, doesn't offend me anyway. I suspect front plate enforcement, like much of law enforcement, also has socio-economic components. Especially around Seattle, it seems the majority of Teslas don't have a front plate. I can guarantee you a kid from Tukwila in a 98 Civic without a front plate is going to be harassed about it many times before Kevin or Karen from Bellevue in their electric egg is even given a warning.
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

I'm all for Hit and Run being enforced and prosecuted. However, I think if just 25% of the effort wasted on speed enforcement was redirected and reallocated to Hit & Runs, it would be at least 10-20 times more effective than front license plates. Let's start there before mandating it.
    edited May 2021
    Just park out in the sticks where there's nobody around, you can pull forward and have plenty of room. Costcos tend to have expansive parking lots where the outlying areas are seldom full.

It seems those who troll for the close spots often look like they would benefit from some long walks, anyway. Parking is a funny thing. I'll probably be going back to the office at least occasionally in July. I plan to back in or pull forward, preferably beside some kind of barrier where I can the passenger side close, so the driver's side is distant from the other space.
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    edited May 2021
    It's all about discretion, right? That's what the justice system likes to use an excuse, anyway.

Man I wish my (relatively, compared to some parts of the US) progressive area was still insane about the failed expensive war on drugs, and engaged in the con of civil asset forfeiture - make work projects and revenue streams, gotta pay for the LARPing gear and thick pensions somehow. The world is envious of the American record for crime and punishment, the incarceration and recidivism rates show something is working.
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

No problem enjoying misdemeanors over felonies, everyone has different interests. I don't follow your career path that closely.
    I didn't know that expressing opinions and dialogue equate to sanctimonious lectures. I guess it does if you already know all the answers.
    I thought since I favor law and order that made me "anti-progressive". But labeling people in advance even though you have no idea about them helps make your point.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Seeing that red light cameras take a picture of you as you are going through the intersection capturing the back of your car I don't see how having a front plate would increase your chances of getting caught by a red light camera.
    I’m not sure about red light cameras, but the cameras on toll booths capture the front of the car, including the license plate and (possibly) the driver. At least that’s true here in Texas, where front plates are required. When you get the notice, you’re only shown the small area of the picture with the license plate. But if you contest the charge, you get to see the entire picture. Which doesn’t help much, as you are responsible if the car is licensed in your name, even if you sold the car more than a year before. And even if the driver can be seen, and clearly isn’t you, that doesn’t matter.

The only thing they would accept was signed bill of sale, which is why I (now) always get a bill of sale when I turn over a used car. A friend of mine traded in a van at a new car dealership many many years ago, so many years that he was buying a Mopar K-Car. Some 6 months later, the Texas Highway Patrol showed up at his house for violations involving the van. It turned out the used car sales manager at the dealership gave the van to his son, who went off to college and engaged in a great many illegal activities using the van with the original license plates still on it.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    I’ve noticed more times than not where a person backs in and stays pretty much perfectly centered between their parking spot but the cars on either side, while between their lines, are over too far thereby not allowing enough space to get a shopping cart through so that they can get to their trunk. It’s almost funny because they all seem to react the same way. They turn their head from side to side pondering how they’re going to get to their trunk. In the end they leave the cart at their front bumper and go back and forth carrying their purchases to their trunk.

From that I deduce that while they might be good drivers and can park between the lines that doesn’t make them smart in the head.

Yeah, let’s circle back to why backing in isn’t as smart as some folks would like us to believe.

jmonroe
    Not a problem if you are intelligent about it. Back in if you aren't picking up lots of things....but, there are exceptions, say I am parked at an end space, or at say Costco where the spaces are extra wide (not Walmart where they are extra narrow), and I am usually skilled enough to get a cart between the cars....but, if not it will only mean one or two very short trips - which are actually good exercise for most of us. The extra safety of leaving a parking space frontwards is well worth it. Shopping can be tiring, so best to make leaving the parking spot the easier maneuver....being tired leads to errors and accidents. Always looking out for your safety JMonroe.

edited May 2021
    sda said:

I find it interesting that if you park away from others, like in the outfield where no vehicle is close, someone will park right next to you.

......or there are 1000 parked cars on the lot and you are getting into your car which is facing out, and the guy on your left is facing in and is getting into his car at the same time.
    (another reason to all back in) :p

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    henryn said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

I’m not sure about red light cameras, but the cameras on toll booths capture the front of the car, including the license plate and (possibly) the driver. At least that’s true here in Texas, where front plates are required. When you get the notice, you’re only shown the small area of the picture with the license plate. But if you contest the charge, you get to see the entire picture. Which doesn’t help much, as you are responsible if the car is licensed in your name, even if you sold the car more than a year before. And even if the driver can be seen, and clearly isn’t you, that doesn’t matter.

The only thing they would accept was signed bill of sale, which is why I (now) always get a bill of sale when I turn over a used car. A friend of mine traded in a van at a new car dealership many many years ago, so many years that he was buying a Mopar K-Car. Some 6 months later, the Texas Highway Patrol showed up at his house for violations involving the van. It turned out the used car sales manager at the dealership gave the van to his son, who went off to college and engaged in a great many illegal activities using the van with the original license plates still on it.

If you are using the turnpike here in PA you don't stop at the toll booth to get a ticket. You just keep going. If you have EZ Pass you're covered. If you don't they send you a bill. They take a picture of the back of the car since there are no front plates.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

NY does that on the thruway now. All the toll plazas removed or being removed. Just lots of overhead readers. Mass did the same on the Mass pike.

henryn said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Tollways and the like want to get the front of the car with driver if possible but with red light cameras which are usually right at the intersection getting the front plate would require the photo to be taken prior to entering the intersection not going through the intersection.

venture said:

henryn said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

If you are using the turnpike here in PA you don't stop at the toll booth to get a ticket. You just keep going. If you have EZ Pass you're covered. If you don't they send you a bill. They take a picture of the back of the car since there are no front plates.
    Here in Illinois we went to full electronic tolling when the pandemic began, They have since decided to keep it that way after things get back to normal. Transponders are great, no need to stop to pay tolls or get tickets.

I think EZ pass shoots front and back to get driver and plate.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    When one of my kids moved to Wisconsin their Escape has CT plates on it and listed with EZ Pass.
    They forgot to tie their Wisconsin plates to EZ Pass, when they switched.
    Drove to Chicago and went through 3 small tolls each way totalling less than $10.
    They got fined 6 X $25 for having mismatched EZ Pass and plates.
    Not sure if the fines were from the city or the state.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I usually forgot to update cars and plates, and sometimes moved tags around. I never had EZ pass care. The only thing that gets their attention is if my credit car is getting ready to expire. Last time I was in for that I updated the fleet and license plates.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @stickguy,
    The fine was not from EZ Pass, it was from whomever owned the toll roads.
    Pretty sure it was the city of Chicago,
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I’ve never had an issue from NY, PA , DE or MA pikes, NYC bridges, NJ parkway, Baltimore tunnels, or philly bridges. That’s a lot of places that just took the toll and never matched to plates. Chicago must be particularly mean! My guess, very few people keep their accounts up to date like that.

stickguy said:

I’ve never had an issue from NY, PA , DE or MA pikes, NYC bridges, NJ parkway, Baltimore tunnels, or philly bridges. That’s a lot of places that just took the toll and never matched to plates. Chicago must be particularly mean! My guess, very few people keep their accounts up to date like that.

If you went through Chicago itself you might have gone over the skyway which is a toll bridge owned by the City of Chicago and they have been known as being less than nice about that bridge and they were late in accepting EZpass. If you bypassed Chicago and went around it then you would be on the tollway which is the State of Illinois.