Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    sda said:

Virginia was the only state that I've lived in that required a license plate on the front. FL, LA, TN, NC, SC, not required. SC is the only state in recent years that I've live in that does not require a safety inspection. Lots of hoopties running around with the CEL on, bald tires and the like.

SC had state safety inspections when I moved there in ‘92 but they did away with them a year or 2 later because it was a total farce. Here’s why I say that:

Moved to SC in the Spring of ‘92 and as soon as I registered the car I was told I had 60 days to get it inspected. No problem there, that seem pretty fair. So I asked around as to where to find an inspection station. There just happened to be a gas station/repair garage very close to the apartment complex I was living in until our house was built. I pulled up in front of the building and went inside and told them I wanted an inspection. 2 very nice guys were at the desk talking and the owner said, “fine I’ll do it now”. I asked what bay he wanted me to pull into and he said, “just leave it there. Go out to your car and turn on the lights then when I give you the signal (he raised his arm up) turn on your high beams. Then when I give you the signal (he pushed his hand away from his chest) blow the horn”. So help me, that was the extent of my inspection. Paid him around 15 bucks and I left.

Now you know why SC no longer has safety inspections for any vehicles which is pretty damn scary when you see some of the vehicles they have on the roads down there.

The ones that scared me most were the logging trucks I’d see when we went to Hilton Head many times. Half of those things didn’t even have fenders and the ones that did bounced so much I expected them to be flung off any second. I couldn’t get far enough away from those death traps.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

I’ve never had an issue from NY, PA , DE or MA pikes, NYC bridges, NJ parkway, Baltimore tunnels, or philly bridges. That’s a lot of places that just took the toll and never matched to plates. Chicago must be particularly mean! My guess, very few people keep their accounts up to date like that.

It’s in the water. Now you know why @snakeweasel is the way he is. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    bwia said:

Shakespeare confronts Covid.

[snippage]

Well, you can't say we aren't a literate bunch here. Well done!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Over 300,000 Mercedes-Benz models recalls for - wait for it - FAULTY BACKUP CAMERAS!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

Probably a good thing @driver100 's 2014 is lacking one. :D

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-benz-recalls-backup-cameras/?UniqueID=B714466E-BCB2-11EB-84FB-E8133A982C1E&TheTime=2021-05-24T17:08:52&PostType=link&ServiceType=twitter&ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    The eventual downfall of modern cars - software. My car is pre-MBUX, no issues.
    ab348 said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Over 300,000 Mercedes-Benz models recalls for - wait for it - FAULTY BACKUP CAMERAS!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-benz-recalls-backup-cameras/?UniqueID=B714466E-BCB2-11EB-84FB-E8133A982C1E&TheTime=2021-05-24T17:08:52&PostType=link&ServiceType=twitter&ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b

edited May 2021
    WA is good for that. Generally mild climate, so no suspension/structural rot that can be a safety thing, but I think there has never been inspections, so one can spot some dodgy looking vehicles. This is a place where a 40+ year old car isn't always a cherished classic, it just might be an old car used out of necessity. Heck, when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, 50s and 60s beaters were still common.

I think the closest I have ever done to an inspection was when I had the fintail checked out for its "preservation" badge - all of the lights/horn/parking brake etc were checked, car had to be in operating order.
    sda said:

Virginia was the only state that I've lived in that required a license plate on the front. FL, LA, TN, NC, SC, not required. SC is the only state in recent years that I've live in that does not require a safety inspection. Lots of hoopties running around with the CEL on, bald tires and the like.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    ab348 said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

Poor @driver100
    He just can't get away from that backup camera business.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

That reminds me of my last visit to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. I parked my neat Jag rental car in a far corner of the garage, no cars in the entire section. When I came back, one smart guy parked right next to me (also in a rental car, I believe a Hertz by the registration), I think I was being trolled. I am pretty sure I laughed out loud, and had to get a pic:

sda said:

I find it interesting that if you park away from others, like in the outfield where no vehicle is close, someone will park right next to you.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

I’ve never had an issue from NY, PA , DE or MA pikes, NYC bridges, NJ parkway, Baltimore tunnels, or philly bridges. That’s a lot of places that just took the toll and never matched to plates. Chicago must be particularly mean! My guess, very few people keep their accounts up to date like that.

It’s in the water. Now you know why @snakeweasel is the way he is. :s

jmonroe
    Hey!

Anyways I am a bit outside Chicago.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    ab348 said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

Once again I am ahead of the curve :p

Pretty minor glitch, can even install via internet.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I'm currently watching on Netflix this documentary on John DeLorean.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhyaYaK9lC4
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

venture said:

henryn said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    We smarter more refined people prefer to back in;
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    You got something against freedom?
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Not all of them are redneck states.
    I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    Of course sheeple think that they are just wonderful.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!
    Also doubles the chances a red-light camera will mail you a citation too.
    Seeing that red light cameras take a picture of you as you are going through the intersection capturing the back of your car I don't see how having a front plate would increase your chances of getting caught by a red light camera.
    I’m not sure about red light cameras, but the cameras on toll booths capture the front of the car, including the license plate and (possibly) the driver. At least that’s true here in Texas, where front plates are required. When you get the notice, you’re only shown the small area of the picture with the license plate. But if you contest the charge, you get to see the entire picture. Which doesn’t help much, as you are responsible if the car is licensed in your name, even if you sold the car more than a year before. And even if the driver can be seen, and clearly isn’t you, that doesn’t matter.

The only thing they would accept was signed bill of sale, which is why I (now) always get a bill of sale when I turn over a used car. A friend of mine traded in a van at a new car dealership many many years ago, so many years that he was buying a Mopar K-Car. Some 6 months later, the Texas Highway Patrol showed up at his house for violations involving the van. It turned out the used car sales manager at the dealership gave the van to his son, who went off to college and engaged in a great many illegal activities using the van with the original license plates still on it.

If you are using the turnpike here in PA you don't stop at the toll booth to get a ticket. You just keep going. If you have EZ Pass you're covered. If you don't they send you a bill. They take a picture of the back of the car since there are no front plates.
    Here in Illinois we went to full electronic tolling when the pandemic began, They have since decided to keep it that way after things get back to normal. Transponders are great, no need to stop to pay tolls or get tickets.
    The tolls here are much cheaper if you use EZ Pass.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

ab348 said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

I guess now we’ll see how good Benz owners are at backing into parking spots.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

jmonroe
    Big selling point when it is time to sell the 2014 C250......it will keep you in shape for backing up!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    Original equipment 'Park by Sound'. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@venture said:
    The tolls here are much cheaper if you use EZ Pass.

Same here, cheaper if you use a transponder.

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Well the one I almost ran into (literally) today didn't know which way to go down the aisle. The spaces are angle making the aisles one way. Well she was going the wrong way and near the end I came around to go down the aisle with the two of use nose to nose.

OK let's see who can spot me in this video. B)
    https://youtu.be/GcvdVFY6AuM

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@snakeweasel said:
    My guess is that they would contact your states DMV and if your state has a reciprocal agreement with them then you will have to satisfy the amount due before renewing your registration. Pretty much like if you owed a fee or fine in your own state.

BTW why doesn't the Florida site to calculate tolls doesn't seem to work?

Also when will the Florida turnpike start accepting EZ pass?

Georgia and several other States just set up a reciprocal agreement with FL’s SunPass and their EZ Passes. I know they are working on it.

2021 Genesis G90

@jmonroe1 said:
    So, you’re good at colors but can you stay between the lines. B)

jmonroe

Black and Orange? What color was the background and which color was the letters and numbers? I do remember Yellow background and black letters and numbers - my Dad’s plates were HS59 (his initials were HS). I also remember black background and yellow letters.

Down here in FL I remember Orange background and Blue letters and numbers. That’s when the plates were made out of soy beans but stopped that when horses and cows and goats started eating license plates on farms. They went back to aluminum I think.

2021 Genesis G90

@ab348 said:
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Oh, the humanity!!

Mbux is the new software MB put into their 2021 cars to replace the interactive infotainment system they used for the past 7-10 years. I had heard it was full of bugs which they are attempting to correct.

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    NY has reissued their classic orange background with black numbers/letters plates.
    They are very similar to the one's I remember growing up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Remember the blue & orange New York plates and those were on both vehicles once we moved to Florida. My dad put a new Florida plate on his '69 Toronado but my mom kept her New York plate on her '68 Eldorado until they bought the '70 Cadillac DeVille convertible and then the sales guy from Orlando handed it to me as he had a temp plate to put on the Eldorado. Had that New York plate in the garage until the house was sold a few years back I'm guessing as I hid it in the garage as a prank years before.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@abacomike said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Black and Orange? What color was the background and which color was the letters and numbers? I do remember Yellow background and black letters and numbers - my Dad’s plates were HS59 (his initials were HS). I also remember black background and yellow letters.

Down here in FL I remember Orange background and Blue letters and numbers. That’s when the plates were made out of soy beans but stopped that when horses and cows and goats started eating license plates on farms. They went back to aluminum I think.

I think it was an orange background with a dark blue lettering.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Out of curiosity I used the Edmunds and Carvana to get a value on the Q5 and Passat. Carvana offered the most for each. 2016 Q5 44300mi $24389/22700/1689 diff, 2018 Passat 21400mi $19530/18283/1247 diff, $600+ more than what I paid for it. Wow.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Can we circle back to home theater real quick? We have a set of ceiling speakers in the living room and a set out on the deck that we've never hooked up. I took a look behind the receiver today, there's two blue wires coming out of the wall, both have a black, red, white and green wire in them. Would it be possible that those feed both sets of speakers or do I need to double them up some how? I'm off to Google it, but figured you guys might be able to tell me quicker.

@dad23 said:
    Can we circle back to home theater real quick? We have a set of ceiling speakers in the living room and a set out on the deck that we've never hooked up. I took a look behind the receiver today, there's two blue wires coming out of the wall, both have a black, red, white and green wire in them. Would it be possible that those feed both sets of speakers or do I need to double them up some how? I'm off to Google it, but figured you guys might be able to tell me quicker.

They could be hooked up to the speakers. One way to find out is to hook them up to the stereo system and see if any of the speakers work.

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Well the one I almost ran into (literally) today didn't know which way to go down the aisle. The spaces are angle making the aisles one way. Well she was going the wrong way and near the end I came around to go down the aisle with the two of use nose to nose.

One of our favorite places to eat is a sports bar that’s in a smallish shopping plaza. There are only 2 aisles in this lot and the parking spaces are angled. Therefore, it’s obvious (and it’s marked) that you should only go one way down the aisles. These dopes that like to pull through to park must be thinking they are at the grocery store, so when they leave they’ve forced themselves to go the wrong way.

One time I was coming down the aisle with a car behind men when a woman came out of her parking spot the wrong way. I stopped so she could back into the spot she just came out of. I just sit in my car waiting for her to back up because I can’t go anywhere with the car behind me on my bumper. The woman gets out of her car yelling that I had to move. I said, “maam, don’t you see I can’t back up with that car behind me. All you have to do is back into the spot you just left”. She said, “ I’m afraid to back up because I don’t want to hit one of those cars”. The guy behind me is now out of his car telling the woman to back up. Again she says she’s too afraid to do that. The guy asked her if she wanted him to move her car. She said, “I don’t want to let a stranger touch my car”. His reply to that as he reached for his phone was OK, I’ll call the police to come give you a ticket for driving the wrong way down the aisle. Finally she agreed to let the guy move her car.

After this was all over Mrs. j asked me if I would have moved her car. I told her there was no way in hell I’d lift a finger to help her after she went into her tirade.

jmonroe
    sda said:

Out of curiosity I used the Edmunds and Carvana to get a value on the Q5 and Passat. Carvana offered the most for each. 2016 Q5 44300mi $24389/22700/1689 diff, 2018 Passat 21400mi $19530/18283/1247 diff, $600+ more than what I paid for it. Wow.

Impressive. Sounds like you're happy with your Passat, but are you at all tempted to try for something else?
    abacomike said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

New York State Plates varied a lot...the ones I remember best are orange background, black letters, and The Empire State on them....I didn't know what that meant, I was a 10 year old kid and thought it had to do with baseball.

They did use orange and blue, and both reversed the colors, and blue and white along with many more. I always thought the orange was a strange color to use because it didn't go with that many car colors.

edited May 2021
    When we went to Patchogue NY in the 1960s we went in my Father's 1960 Meteor which was really a Ford which Ford made a little different so it could be sold by Monarch dealers, Meteors were upscale Cdn Fords and Monarchs upscale Cdn Mercurys. A lot of people came over and thought my Dad customized his Ford Galaxy.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

@snakeweasel said:
    https://youtu.be/GcvdVFY6AuM

Oh, I got you right here.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    andres3 said:

Also doubles the chances a red-light camera will mail you a citation too.

Most of my experience seeing red-light cameras (no I have never gotten a ticket from one of them) was in Wilmington, NC. And since NC is a one-plate state, they didn't even bother to have an angle on the front of the car.

I also saw quite a few speed cameras around Phoenix the few times I traveled out there, and even though AZ is also a one-plate state, they DO have an angle on the front of the car, presumably to help ID the driver?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    benjaminh said:

sda said:

Impressive. Sounds like you're happy with your Passat, but are you at all tempted to try for something else?
    I like my VW Camry, oops, Passat. It is an easy car to live with and handles well even if driven in a sporty manner. It has plenty of nice features such as adaptive cruise, rain sensing wipers, led headlights, tail lights, cornering lights, hands free trunk opening, remote start, nav, heated front and back seats, Apple car play, Android auto, etc. I don’t know what I could replace it with that would be as nice, have the long warranty and not cost significantly more. I owe less than $10k, The VW warranty is good to 84k, it has 21.4K, 8/1/25. My forever car, nope. Pleasant car, yes.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    When I was a kid, back in prehistoric times, Texas used to reverse “white on black” and “black on white” license plates each year. In those days, you got new plates each year, and the cops could easily tell if you were still using last year’s plates. And if memory serves, all license plates changed on the same date each year (January 1??). If you registered a new car in the middle of the year, you paid a pro-rated amount for the rest of the year.

@dad23 – there is an easy way to check the speaker wiring, without hooking up the wires to your receiver. Which I would recommend against. Can you remove the grills on the speaker so that you can see the speaker cone? Take a D cell battery, or a 9-volt, or what have you. Connect the speaker wires to the two poles on the battery and see if the speaker cone moves when the connection is made. If you can’t remove the speaker grill, have someone hold their ear up against the speaker while you connect and disconnect from the battery several times. If these are the speaker wires, you will hear a slight sound each time the battery is connected and disconnected.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I just received this in the mail from my Credit Union. It's too bad I don't have or need a mortgage.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited May 2021
    My dad had a 60 Ford, in the 90s. His was a Country Sedan, the mid range wagon, red and white. He noticed it sitting beside a detached garage, around 1990. This was a time when the PNW was a Klondike for old cars, they were everywhere, usually in sound condition, and not expensive. He knocked on the door of the adjacent house to ask about it, and made a deal on the spot. I think it was $300. Only quirk was that it didn't run, but it was close to our house, so we just pushed it home - it was very clean and solid looking, and he took the gamble. He tinkered with it for a couple weeks, and found the issue - bad coil. It was a 352. Replaced it, and it fired right up, but IIRC it had old gas, and he then drained the tank and refinished the inside. He also switched out the rear end for one from a 70 Squire, and I think had to repair something with the heater core, too. He somehow enjoyed this work, and did it all himself. I recall spending what seemed like an entire day using rubbing compound and wax, and bringing the paint back to life. He ended up really liking the car, even using it as a daily driver for awhile. Even then, the car got tons of attention. Eventually he tired of tinkering with it, I think it needed some electrical work, and he sold it - someone snapped it up the first day, Never saw it again, and have never seen another identical car in modern times.

I don't think I've ever seen a 60 Meteor in person, pretty rare now even in Canada.

Thinking of plates, WA has used the Mt. Rainier background since around 1985, becoming the standard plate by 1987. Before that, green letters on white background, before 1963 white letters on green background. Around 2010 they became 7 digits.
    driver100 said:

When we went to Patchogue NY in the 1960s we went in my Father's 1960 Meteor which was really a Ford which Ford made a little different so it could be sold by Monarch dealers, Meteors were upscale Cdn Fords and Monarchs upscale Cdn Mercurys. A lot of people came over and thought my Dad customized his Ford Galaxy.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@dad23 said:

Yes, most likely what they did to simplify running the wire. Problem is you have no way of knowing which is left/right and positive/negative.

Do you have a multimeter with continuity test? You can get one really cheap if you don’t. I’d use that and a long piece of wire to identify what goes where. You would of course need access to the back of the speaker where they are connected.

The battery trick mentioned is also a solid idea, but if you can’t get the grills off it may be tough to tell.

I had to use the multimeter to bell out all the cable lines in my new home as they didn’t mark them in the panel.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

New York State Plates varied a lot...the ones I remember best are orange background, black letters, and The Empire State on them....I didn't know what that meant, I was a 10 year old kid and thought it had to do with baseball.

They did use orange and blue, and both reversed the colors, and blue and white along with many more. I always thought the orange was a strange color to use because it didn't go with that many car colors.

Pennsylvania used to switch between blue/yellow and yellow/blue. When I was growing up the outline of the state was around the edge of the plates. Now they are pretty generic like almost all other ones.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Speaking about license plates, here in Florida the basic plate is off white background with green letters and numbers with an Orange 🍊 in the center. In addition to the basic standard plate, there are over 100 “specialty” plates available for an additional annual fee.

My plate is called “Save The Florida Panther” which has the image of a panther on it. A part of the additional annual fee is donated to the Florida Wildlife Federation which provides services for the protection of Florida Panthers.

There are manatee plates, college and university plates, veterans plates, plates with Florida Marine life, to name just a few. There are so many that the State Department of Motor Vehicles has a brochure several pages thick with the available optional plates.

2021 Genesis G90

In Florida you can go wild these days....there is a plate for everyone no matter what your interest;

@driver100 said:
    In Florida you can go wild these days....there is a plate for everyone no matter what your interest;

It's the same with every state these days.

edited May 2021

@driver100 said:

@driver100: can you find a photo of “Save The Florida Panther” plate to post here. I couldn’t find one. Thanks.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

@fintail am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it.
    Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.

Remember too....the reader can review 1800 license plates an hour....but the only plates it actually brings up are the ones that are problematic. It is really like a camera the TV stations use or they show on the internet.....you can see license plates but it doesn't mean anything unless they should pull that license.
    Remember too, there some controversy about those plate readers retaining a record of your whereabouts which may be used for nefarious purposes when someone decides they don’t like your activities.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@benjaminh said:

A few times as a kid or teenager when I'd look at old car ads or brochures I'd notice sometimes that they wouldn't include the front license plate. Since where I grew up in California there were front plates I thought the old car art was part of this fantasy world where the car existed without a front license, but that this wouldn't actually happen in the real world. But, of course, as mentioned that is the way things work in several states. What doesn't make sense to me in Kentucky is that we are required to actually replace the rear license plate every few years, which seems a waste. I mean a plate can last the life of the car, and that's the way thing still work in California as far as I know. So in KY we save by not having a front plate, whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but then that savings is thrown away by making us replace the rear plate periodically.

And hey, am I the only one here who had a license plate collection as a kid? I got them at junk yards, garage sales, and who knows where else. When I was 13 or so my parents convinced me to throw the collection out when we moved.

Anyway, no front license needed for a 54 Pontiac—at least according to this brochure.

My Dad had a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain in two-tone blue. I know it had front plates because NY has always required front plates.

We used to visit family in Patchogue N.Y. in the 50s and the license plates said "The Empire State" and were black and orange.

We’ve changed those plates since then:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

sda said:

benjaminh said:

sda said:

I like my VW Camry, oops, Passat. It is an easy car to live with and handles well even if driven in a sporty manner. It has plenty of nice features such as adaptive cruise, rain sensing wipers, led headlights, tail lights, cornering lights, hands free trunk opening, remote start, nav, heated front and back seats, Apple car play, Android auto, etc. I don’t know what I could replace it with that would be as nice, have the long warranty and not cost significantly more. I owe less than $10k, The VW warranty is good to 84k, it has 21.4K, 8/1/25. My forever car, nope. Pleasant car, yes.
    Your Passat is completely loaded!++ And that warranty sounds good too.

fintail said:

I saw his recent MB videos. He's amazed it was so cheap, but really he paid a market correct price for that car. The market has never warmed up to old MB sedans, probably due to the high costs to right a neglected car, and that they aren't "sporty". Nice old car he got though, loads of build quality and presence for the money.

fintail said:

I am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it. I look at it two other ways, too - don't be too offended that you are being tracked and observed by your plates, when dashcammers like myself are recording every drive we take, from the front and back, and we might just spot you on the road - you're always being recorded somewhere whether in public or private. Also, front plates have always been a thing where these cars are designed and (mostly) built, places that have a far more developed driving culture than on this side of the pond. If it works there, that's not a bad thing. In my experience, backing in isn't a problem there, either B)

Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    We smarter more refined people prefer to back in;
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    You got something against freedom?
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Not all of them are redneck states.
    I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    Of course sheeple think that they are just wonderful.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!
    If I have to decide between a couple of scofflaws escaping and my car being defaced by a front plate, I'm afraid I'll have to side with my car's esthetics.
    Well, Police License Plate Readers don't just catch people who may ruin your nice wax job, they also pick up drivers with suspended licenses, drivers without insurance, drivers with old plates, stolen cars, people who haven't paid fines....and the scanner can read from the front, the rear and licenses to the side, about 1800 an hour. I don't think a front license plate detracts at all if it is designed properly. It is a very efficient way to keep the roads a little safer: 2 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBClFEQQJk
    Speaking of your old car, I think Hoovie bought it’s cousin.
    https://youtu.be/UY6uKaehDyw
    Saw the two vids on that car, too. I thought the same thing…not sure why he thought it was cheap. Matter of fact, I thought it was a tad on the high side once the gets the A/C fixed and some of the other nigglies taken care of. Coo car, though. There are lots of other cars I’d buy for $10K before that one, though.
    I think Hoovie factors YT revenue into the price of any car.

qbrozen said:

@snakeweasel said:

Oh, I got you right here.

Actually if you go to the 4:56 point you will see me.

fintail said:

It's all about discretion, right? That's what the justice system likes to use an excuse, anyway.

Man I wish my (relatively, compared to some parts of the US) progressive area was still insane about the failed expensive war on drugs, and engaged in the con of civil asset forfeiture - make work projects and revenue streams, gotta pay for the LARPing gear and thick pensions somehow. The world is envious of the American record for crime and punishment, the incarceration and recidivism rates show something is working.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I still remain thankful that KY doesn’t require a front plate.

Isn't it part of your sworn oath to catch the bad guys....that to me is more important than how pretty my front bumper looks. :p
    You have your priorities, I have mine.
    If I was a taxpayer in that jurisdiction, I would hope the priority would be catching the bad guys, the hit and run guys, the one's who don't pay tickets, the ones driving without insurance or who have lost their license................
    I only prosecute felonies; you couldn't pay me enough to deal with misdemeanors and violations like the County Attorneys are required to do.
    That said, if you are determined to stay in sanctimonious lecture mode(and I'm relatively certain that you are), might I suggest you direct your words towards those "progressive" jurisdictions where traffic stops have almost been eliminated and where the DAs don't prosecute anything other than the most serious offenses.
    No problem enjoying misdemeanors over felonies, everyone has different interests. I don't follow your career path that closely.
    I didn't know that expressing opinions and dialogue equate to sanctimonious lectures. I guess it does if you already know all the answers.
    I thought since I favor law and order that made me "anti-progressive". But labeling people in advance even though you have no idea about them helps make your point.
    On the civil forfeiture scam we are in agreement.

fintail said:

That reminds me of my last visit to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. I parked my neat Jag rental car in a far corner of the garage, no cars in the entire section. When I came back, one smart guy parked right next to me (also in a rental car, I believe a Hertz by the registration), I think I was being trolled. I am pretty sure I laughed out loud, and had to get a pic:

sda said:

I find it interesting that if you park away from others, like in the outfield where no vehicle is close, someone will park right next to you.

An Enterprise guy would never be so crass. ;)