Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    But it sounds like an urban myth. How would they ever get paid?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    If they can't repair it, maybe they can suggest a wrap. You may even be able to get one in a similar wood finish.

What style of wood do you have, anyway? I think the dark matte finish, and kind of burled glossy finish, are the most common.

My car has the brown matte/natural finish, this is my console - the lines/rings line up, too - it would drive me nuts if they didn't:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I thought the same thing. Open the lid!

Driver, try stopping at a detail shop and see if they think they can take care of it. then just hire "the guy"!

I might get the inside done by a detailer soon anyway....the E400 is 4 years old, though it only has 28000 miles on it. It could use a detailing - though I have never had a car detailed. I think I have only had a complete wash inside and out less than 6 times in my life. If I do that I'll point out the console....those guys probably have had experience with piano black plastic.
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Anyone with COVID whether severe or mild can still have long term problems. Post COVID syndrome. The intent is if you get the vaccine 2 shot or 1 shot one should have mild reaction to COVID and not have long term problems. My post vaccine statement is still being investigated with data being collected.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    ab348 said:

“ According to news reports on the alleged scam, victims of the purported fraud receive telephone calls from an unknown person who asks "can you hear me"? The victim's response of "yes" is recorded and subsequently used to make unauthorized purchases in the victim's name. More specifically, some experts suggest scammers may be looking to record the person saying the word "Yes" to then claim they agreed to authorize changes on a phone, utility, or credit card bill.”

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited June 2021
    mlevine said:

Anyone with COVID whether severe or mild can still have long term problems. Post COVID syndrome. The intent is if you get the vaccine 2 shot or 1 shot one should have mild reaction to COVID and not have long term problems. My post vaccine statement is still being investigated with data being collected.

Well said. Agreed.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    fintail said:

If they can't repair it, maybe they can suggest a wrap. You may even be able to get one in a similar wood finish.

What style of wood do you have, anyway? I think the dark matte finish, and kind of burled glossy finish, are the most common.

My car has the brown matte/natural finish, this is my console - the lines/rings line up, too - it would drive me nuts if they didn't:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Driver, try stopping at a detail shop and see if they think they can take care of it. then just hire "the guy"!

I might get the inside done by a detailer soon anyway....the E400 is 4 years old, though it only has 28000 miles on it. It could use a detailing - though I have never had a car detailed. I think I have only had a complete wash inside and out less than 6 times in my life. If I do that I'll point out the console....those guys probably have had experience with piano black plastic.
    Mine is dark wood....maybe oak? That looks really good, I'm not that sensitive to it.....I'd prefer to see if there is a way to clean the black.........failing that, I'll let the detail person deal with it when I trade it in.....but that wood covering looks beautiful....I imagine it must cost a lot....like $500 or so would be my guess.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

“ According to news reports on the alleged scam, victims of the purported fraud receive telephone calls from an unknown person who asks "can you hear me"? The victim's response of "yes" is recorded and subsequently used to make unauthorized purchases in the victim's name. More specifically, some experts suggest scammers may be looking to record the person saying the word "Yes" to then claim they agreed to authorize changes on a phone, utility, or credit card bill.”
    Thanks oldfarmer......my understanding was they get you to say "Yes", and then insert the words around your "Yes" to prove that you did agree to what they proposed.

The phone “yes” stories sound like something SiriusXM might do.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

We went to a picnic at a friend’s country club this afternoon. Due to the weather we anticipated some parking issues so I drove the Wrangler. On the interstate I was just cruising along with traffic and I happened to look down and I was going 80 mph. With the sailcloth top it’s pretty noisy north of 50 mph so the speedometer is the only thing that gives you a sensation of speed. I’m guessing that the Bilsteins and the ultra-stiff steering stabilizer are the reason it feels relatively stable at speed. It’s still a hoot after 19 years of ownership.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2021

Sorry, but the “yes” story is garbage. Saying “yes” to something doesn’t mean anything, not to mention how do you prove it was that person? I do great imitations, can I prove Bill Gates promised me $1m? Or the president agreed I should be appointed Chief of Staff? Have I made my point? Just say “yes” after the beep if you agree.

To tie this to cars, you can say yes in person in front of witnesses to a deal. But it means nothing until you sign and drive it away. So how do you think a 1-word phone convo will hold up?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    driver100 said:

@venture
    Now he'll get the shot! But now he probably has immunity.
    Lots of people get covid and have no or mild symptoms, some almost die or do die. The ones that have a rough time say they wish they had the shot.

The thing is, does he have immunity to the various strains? The vaccination probably helps with the mutations.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

qbrozen said:

Sorry, but the “yes” story is garbage. Saying “yes” to something doesn’t mean anything, not to mention how do you prove it was that person? I do great imitations, can I prove Bill Gates promised me $1m? Or the president agreed I should be appointed Chief of Staff? Have I made my point? Just say “yes” after the beep if you agree.

To tie this to cars, you can say yes in person in front of witnesses to a deal. But it means nothing until you sign and drive it away. So how do you think a 1-word phone convo will hold up?

If you google scams asking you to say "yes" you will get lots of information about it. I first heard about it on a consumer segment on a Florida newscast. This article explains it, but there are lots of examples online.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/can-you-hear-me-phone-scam-warning-bbb-1.3970312

venture said:

driver100 said:

@venture
    Now he'll get the shot! But now he probably has immunity.
    Lots of people get covid and have no or mild symptoms, some almost die or do die. The ones that have a rough time say they wish they had the shot.

The thing is, does he have immunity to the various strains? The vaccination probably helps with the mutations.
    Agreed, I was being a bit facetious. People who have had covid should definitely get vaccinated for a lot of reasons, variants, more protection, etc.........

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2021

The “delta” variant is currently the dominant variant in the UK and in the US. The existing vaccines are somewhat effective in combatting this virus variant, but are most effective in limiting the extent of the virus’s affect on the respiratory system and results in fewer hospitalizations or the need for respirators if hospitalized.

2021 Genesis G90

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    driver100 said:

Mine is dark wood....maybe oak? That looks really good, I'm not that sensitive to it.....I'd prefer to see if there is a way to clean the black.........failing that, I'll let the detail person deal with it when I trade it in

When I sold my 2018 F150 to the wholesaler recently, I did not mention the one defect on the nearly perfect truck. And I was afraid that would bite me. The fold down center console was definitely marred. I had scratched myself (or more likely one of my dogs did), and I got in the truck and my arm bled on that center console / armrest. I grabbed some spray foam and a brush, and that really did a number on the cloth upholstery. Ugly. And very apparent. But the dealer never said a word about it, so ...

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    qbrozen said:

Agreed. I can imitate the voice of one of the most disliked attorneys in town- to the degree that some attorneys would not return his calls because they believed that it was me imitating him.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    henryn said:

driver100 said:

Mine is dark wood....maybe oak? That looks really good, I'm not that sensitive to it.....I'd prefer to see if there is a way to clean the black.........failing that, I'll let the detail person deal with it when I trade it in

When I sold my 2018 F150 to the wholesaler recently, I did not mention the one defect on the nearly perfect truck. And I was afraid that would bite me. The fold down center console was definitely marred. I had scratched myself (or more likely one of my dogs did), and I got in the truck and my arm bled on that center console / armrest. I grabbed some spray foam and a brush, and that really did a number on the cloth upholstery. Ugly. And very apparent. But the dealer never said a word about it, so ...

I think they factor that kind of basic detailing in any wholesale purchase. Bigger issue if parts are broken, My TLX had a nasty rash scrape on one wheel which I thought for sure they were going to hose me on, but the pickup driver didn't even care, just told me how nice the car was. So either he just didn't pay attention, or it didn't matter. Not my issue since their person (theoretically) inspected the car first and it was obvious. Not something that I tried to hide.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

In W212s, the dark (black, not brown) wood was called "black ash" - kind of a black wood with silver highlights. Can't recall if it was renamed for W213. My first two leased E-class had it., but both were the glossy type (second car also had the wood wheel, which was quite nice). Hopefully a detailer can help it, some of them can work wonders. You won't get the money back if you replaced it, so if you can live with it, definitely the most cost-effective idea.
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Mine is dark wood....maybe oak? That looks really good, I'm not that sensitive to it.....I'd prefer to see if there is a way to clean the black.........failing that, I'll let the detail person deal with it when I trade it in.....but that wood covering looks beautiful....I imagine it must cost a lot....like $500 or so would be my guess.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    I don't understand why folks would refuse to get vaccinated in the first place if able to? It's real, people have died because of it and many others have lasting effects. The worst side effects I got from the Pfizer vaccine was a sore arm for a day, that's it! Very glad I did it and still wear a mask at times though doubt I need to. Since I drive rentals, never know who was in it before so I wear one. Luckily since we're now driving a new Voyager minivan, I'm the one usually driving it unless I get tired in the afternoon and hand the keys off. Said that if we ever got rid of the larger Tansit vans, I'd have no trouble driving the smaller chase vehicle full time. A couple days later, we swapped out into the smaller Voyager and I kept my word, so I'm the main chase driver of our four member team. The other three guys don't seem to have an issue with it and if a really fun vehicle turns up, like the Mini Cooper Countryman last week, they'll usually throw me the keys so I can drive it. They know it's on my short list so let me have it, which I find very nice of them.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

driver100 said:

If you google scams asking you to say "yes" you will get lots of information about it. I first heard about it on a consumer segment on a Florida newscast. This article explains it, but there are lots of examples online.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/can-you-hear-me-phone-scam-warning-bbb-1.3970312

It still sounds like an urban myth to me, especially when you add in the fact that it is a CBC story from an outpost bureau, and this: "The bureau hasn't been called by any complainants who admit they've lost money with this scam, he said, but has heard from many people who have received "Can-you-hear-me" calls."

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

It still sounds like an urban myth to me, especially when you add in the fact that it is a CBC story from an outpost bureau, and this: "The bureau hasn't been called by any complainants who admit they've lost money with this scam, he said, but has heard from many people who have received "Can-you-hear-me" calls."
    Those "useful" 'unamed sources' at work again in story writing.

I'd wondered if the "yes" stories were true. Now I'm not thinking they are.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

It has been reported on many major news sources and the BBB issued warnings, but hard to find if anyone has lost money from it. One expert said an official at the caller ID company Hiya conjectured that the purported calls were an automated dialer employed by a telemarketing firm to confirm the authenticity of the telephone numbers on its dialing lists, and not an attempt at financial fraud.

The people who believe that scam are probably the same who cover their license plates for pictures.

Those “can you hear me” calls started years ago, and I definitely answered the first one with “yes.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    Sure.. so, a scamster, who is basically stealing your money, is going to go to court or arbitration to assert you agreed to it all?

That's where the story falls apart.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2021
    kyfdx said:

Sure.. so, a scamster, who is basically stealing your money, is going to go to court or arbitration to assert you agreed to it all?

This is from the AG's Office in Minnesota;
    How the Scam Works
    The details of this scam vary, but it always begins with a call, usually from a telephone number that appears to be local. When the person answers the call, the scam artist tries to get the person to say “yes”—most often by asking, “Can you hear me?,” “Is this the lady of the house?,” or a similar question. By responding “yes,” people notify robo-callers that their number is an active telephone number that can be sold to other telemarketers for a higher price. This then leads to more unwanted calls.

In some cases, the caller may record the person saying “yes.” Scam artists may be able to use a recorded “yes” to claim that the person authorized charges to his or her credit card or account. How can scammers access your account? Some companies share their customers’ information with third‑party companies or allow third parties to charge customers’ accounts (called “cramming”) in exchange for payment. Scam artists may also obtain financial information from data breaches or leaks or through identity theft.
    *********************************************************************************
    Not saying any of this is true, but it was reported on major networks, newspapers, BBB, AG's offices, Consumer Groups etc.
    I avoid saying yes just in case. One report said they use it on businesses where a person says yes, a phony invoice is sent, some of these aren't checked and the company pays....I don't know....Better Safe than Sorry.
    https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/Publications/CanYouHearMe.asp

edited June 2021
    qbrozen said:

The people who believe that scam are probably the same who cover their license plates for pictures.

Those “can you hear me” calls started years ago, and I definitely answered the first one with “yes.”

That's one of my pet peeves, covering the license plate for pictures. If you're looking at used cars on Craigslist, you will see a lot of that. Years ago, decades probably, I saw so much of that on Craigslist that I almost did it myself, then it hit me, "You drive down the road every day with your license plate on display. What exactly is the point?"

But I have learned to pay more attention to license plates, or the presence thereof, on the Craigslist ads. No license plate is a dead giveaway to a curbstoner.
    @henryn The dealer detailer probably has many tricks and ideas for fixing a stain on seats and consoles.

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

How the Scam Works
    The details of this scam vary, but it always begins with a call, usually from a telephone number that appears to be local. When the person answers the call, the scam artist tries to get the person to say “yes”—most often by asking, “Can you hear me?,” “Is this the lady of the house?,” or a similar question. By responding “yes,” people notify robo-callers that their number is an active telephone number that can be sold to other telemarketers for a higher price. This then leads to more unwanted calls.

In some cases, the caller may record the person saying “yes.” Scam artists may be able to use a recorded “yes” to claim that the person authorized charges to his or her credit card or account. How can scammers access your account? Some companies share their customers’ information with third‑party companies or allow third parties to charge customers’ accounts (called “cramming”) in exchange for payment. Scam artists may also obtain financial information from data breaches or leaks or through identity theft.
    *********************************************************************************
    Not saying any of this is true, but it was reported on major networks, newspapers, BBB, AG's offices, Consumer Groups etc.
    I avoid saying yes just in case. One report said they use it on businesses where a person says yes, a phony invoice is sent, some of these aren't checked and the company pays....I don't know....Better Safe than Sorry.
    The first part is true of any robocall operation. Answering the phone regardless of what you say tells them it is an active number and so they can try to sell that (though these days I wish them luck with that).

The second part is total BS. Selling/sharing CC details would result in that operation having the plug pulled by the CC issuer/payment processor very quickly. The link between the recorded "yes" and a charge being applied to the account is, I note, not at all documented here. They could try the same fraud without a recorded "yes" since, after all, they are still fraudsters. They might do better with a forged signature. The justifications for this possibly being true just all seem rather desperate. The latest one here sounds like a variation on the infamous "fax a business with a phony invoice for copier toner" that was popular a couple of decades ago.

driver100 said:

@henryn The dealer detailer probably has many tricks and ideas for fixing a stain on seats and consoles.

It wasn't a stain. The cloth or cloth-like material was damaged. Not torn, but kind of mangled. It no longer looked the same, or felt the same as the surrounding material.
    I think it’s not fraudsters, rather actual companies with cheesey practices. That make money getting small items added to your phone bill because “you authorized it”. I think the Yes capture was to be their cover if questioned.

stickguy said:

I think it’s not fraudsters, rather actual companies with cheesey practices. That make money getting small items added to your phone bill because “you authorized it”. I think the Yes capture was to be their cover if questioned.

Like Sirius XM!
    I think this could be it.........I think they try and even if they can get a small percentage to pay it adds up. Keep in mind too, there are lots of old people who could be scared when they hear a recording where they said yes to something.....a few months ago but may have forgot.

henryn said:

driver100 said:

It wasn't a stain. The cloth or cloth-like material was damaged. Not torn, but kind of mangled. It no longer looked the same, or felt the same as the surrounding material.
    Even a seat though...or any material, don't they have ways to buy it even from wrecked cars....and then sew it or glue it in place.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    SiriusXm is really no different than Cable/Internet/Satellite providers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

How the Scam Works

##########

I've got a few of those "Can you hear me?" calls. It doesn't seem to matter what you say for it to continue. I've said NO. I've said TOAD. And a few other things I can't remember.

My favorite one is when they ask if Eva is there. I always say YES and lay the phone down. I don't know how long they wait before they hang up.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

@explorerx4 said:
    SiriusXm is really no different than Cable/Internet/Satellite providers.

Actually you are more likely to get a bigger discount with them than say Comcast, etc.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I hate being captive to Comcast.

I'm driving back from tennis on a 2 lanes in my direction highway, speed limit is 60 but everyone going at least 65. Right lane is a bit slow, so I am in the left lane, a Honda Odyssey is ahead of me, he could move a bit faster but is going almost 70. The guy behind me is close to my rear bumper so I leave even more space in front, of course the first chance he gets he zips to the right and goes around me, now crowds the Odyssey....and the guy that was on his back bumper zips around me too....he has a Civic that he lowered to about an inch off the road and his wheels are cantered outward at the bottom....let them enjoy each others company. And then the guy in the wrecked up van must have been late for a job so he is going to push the guy in the right lane ahead so he can wedge between that car in the right lane and me. I could have sped up and not let any of the 3 in front.........but they will save about 4 minutes in their 20 mile drive - is it worth it? I would like to go in the right lane but in about 5 miles I have to veer to the left to take another highway, and if I do go to the right I'll have to wedge back into the left lane soon.
    The Odyssey veers left, these 3 are still behind the Odyssey, and I am on the ramp right behind the Odyssey, didn't lose any ground.....and didn't have to drive like a maniac.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

@stickguy said:
    I hate being captive to Comcast.

We have everything with them including the security. It’s like a third small car payment per month !

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited June 2021
    New Tesla S Plaid
    $131,000, 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds, Jay Leno says it outperforms his $1 million Ferrari.

No piano Black:

More:

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,963
    driver100 said:

More:

Incredible acceleration. Driver’s who buy this model should go through track training before they end up in an out of control situation.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

187 miles in 15 minutes? I assume that is at the super deluxe supercharger station if you can get one. But definitely makes it more convenient.

but $113k, and they only give you half a steering wheel? Cheapskates.

that is rediculous. I follow Emilia Hartford on youtube and she built out a twin turbo C8 vette, with all kinds of upgrades, pushing 1000 HP. And just had it at the track, and only managed to get down to about 9.6 sec 1/4 mile. And doing that roasted the DCT clutches. Would be embarrasing to get toasted by a bone stock Tesla!

Actually, I think they said at the track if you run sub-10s requires more safety gear. Does that Tesla come with a chute and welded in roll cage?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    It only does 200 mph, if you are napping in the back seat, while going down I-95.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'll have to peruse the numbers better when I get a chance. That must have a MASSIVE battery to manage that power with that range. Unless they are combining numbers of different models or you can select output on the car. So 390 miles, if you select Turtle mode, or something like that. Also curious what kind of tires it needs/has to get under 2 secs.

At least they are making the distinction between "fastest" and "quickest". It'll be interesting to see how many third parties can replicate those numbers, and if the range figures include luxuries like HVAC or moving with the flow of traffic.
    driver100 said:

More:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    edited June 2021
    I want to know what the stopping distance is, usually try to look for what is missing.
    Probably pretty good, though.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    But can you select a movie to watch on the center screen in 1.9 seconds?

So, one caveat so far is the claimed 0-60 is after subtracting rollout. Per at least one source, that means it is more like 1.99s 6-60 and about 2.2-2.25 0-60. Still quick, of course, I'm just pointing it out. And the stock tires right now aren't rated for 200mph.

Story is the NHRA will have evaluate the 1/4-mile time, if they really want to be the production car record holder, and then we'll know if it requires cheater tires, or any other mods. Nobody thought to take note of the tires thus far, even when Jay Leno drove it. I find that kind of odd, personally.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    @driver100 are these metrics for the Plaid or Plaid Plus? I understand the Plaid Plus was canceled. Nonetheless, at such velocity and road quietness these Evs should not be street legal. (speed police B)