Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Michaell said:

Just for car dealers. Used to be for liquor stores as well, but that ended a few years back.

I can't keep track, anymore... I've tried to buy beer at Aldi or Kroger on early Sunday mornings and gotten it confiscated by the cashier more times than I can count. I think our state says no package sales before noon on Sundays, but the city says 1:00 PM, however, if you go across the river to IN, you can buy package liquor at noon? I just try to go on a different day.

If you ever travel to Utah, it's a whole different ballgame. Most bars have electronic measuring devices on the liquor bottles to ensure compliance with the state laws against "strong drinks" and free drinks. I was at the hotel bar and ordered a beer flight. One of the kegs tapped out and the bartender had to stop tending the bar and complete a staggering amount of paperwork! :s
    Yeah, I remember when you had to join a "club" in order to drink at a restaurant in Utah. I think the rules are a bit more relaxed, now.
    Here in Texas we have "dry counties" which allow no liquor sales. You have to drive to the next county to buy a six pack or a bottle of wine, never mind demon rum! And yes, most of the "dry counties" have so called private clubs (usually the hotel bar), and you're automatically a member with a room key, or you can buy a "temporary membership" to drink for one night.

My personal opinion (based on real life observations) is that alcohol has ruined far more lives than marihuana. No, not me, but many people that I have known down through the years. But we also know, from practical experience and history, that prohibition does not work. I enjoy a drink at the end of the day, and don't begrudge the same to anyone else. As to how to prevent the ruined lives, that answer will have to come from someone a lot smarter than me. I just know that prohibition isn't it.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    @henryn we have "dry counties" in KY, as well, and "wet cities" / "moist cities" where you can buy package liquor or liquor by the drink, respectively. I think private clubs are prohibited for liquor sales and that anybody and their mother can go to the (separate) liquor stores at Sam's Club and Costco to buy, even if they're not a member, so long as they are 21.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    ab348 said:

xwesx said:

stickguy said:

I wonder what my list would be? Projecting out to year end, and hoping that supplies stabilize, I guess it would include: Maverick, Santa Cruz, 2022 Civic, 2022 GTI, some Hyundai hybrid, a Kona ultimate (1.6t), new TLX (maybe), some random Volvos, new frontier, 3 series BMW, Taos, or a crosstrek.

I guess that is a start!

Ah, an early @stickguy list.
    It's good to know that some things are still right in this world.
    Those 13 or so are his short list as of now, pending any "ones I really like" that come along between now and then (I'm actually surprised the Venza isn't on that list). We could have entertainment here for months! ;)
    I forgot to add some Mazdas. 3, cx30, Miata. Because, why not? And the Venza, I was very interested in, until I found out that the roof just did parlor tricks but didn't open!

I will be happy to keep you entertained when the time comes!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    edited June 2021
    Many of the villages here in Alaska have restrictions on alcohol. Some prohibit sales but not possession, and others prohibit both. Since they are so isolated, it is not terribly impractical to have such restrictions, plus the majority of populations in these areas are indigenous (and have some additional law autonomy as compared to other areas of the state).

Much agreed with your assessment, Henry. While I personally wouldn't mind a complete prohibition of all drugs (including alcohol), as long as there are people out there that want to use and/or abuse the stuff, they'll darn well do it. I think a much better approach is to just make it all legal, tax the heck out of it, and use those funds (or a least a good chunk of them) to help folks that get themselves mired and decide it's time to get out. It would sure beat what we have now (which is all the bad stuff without a comprehensive recovery/support option).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    NJ is still somewhat restricive. No car dealers open on Sunday. But you can buy alcohol, just not until a certain time (I think noon). normal stores are open. Except for a couple (at least one, Bergen) that still has blue laws, so the mall is closed (always weird to drive by that on Sunday). Other stores too, but since I moved a long time ago, no clue about Walmart, etc. Supermarkets are open, but NJ does not allow them or mini markets to sell alcohol.

Hey, it is a complicated state to live in, but at least we don't have to pump our own gas!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    edited June 2021

As most of you know, my son and I aren’t interested in very many domestic vehicles; Jeeps and the occasional V8 ponycar/muscle car are just about it. Well, I saw this for sale and my son likes it too- it’s so over the top that we both think I should buy it to drive to Nashville next weekend for the Cup race.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

@roadburner said:
    As most of you know, my son and I aren’t interested in very many domestic vehicles; Jeeps and the occasional V8 ponycar/muscle car are just about it. Well, I saw this for sale and my son likes it too- it’s so over the top that we both think I should buy it to drive to Nashville next weekend for the Cup race.

Do it!!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    a house near me has a car in the driveway with dale jr. decals like that in the window. It's a 1990s vintage Volvo that has not moved in years.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

NJ is still somewhat restricive. No car dealers open on Sunday. But you can buy alcohol, just not until a certain time (I think noon). normal stores are open. Except for a couple (at least one, Bergen) that still has blue laws, so the mall is closed (always weird to drive by that on Sunday). Other stores too, but since I moved a long time ago, no clue about Walmart, etc. Supermarkets are open, but NJ does not allow them or mini markets to sell alcohol.

Hey, it is a complicated state to live in, but at least we don't have to pump our own gas!

I worked the summers of 1965 and 1966 in gas stations, pumping gas, washing windows, "check the hood for you ma'am". The fat cats would come rolling in with their Caddys and Buicks, "Fill it with premium" and hand me a credit card. I don't think I had ever even seen a credit card before then.

I made up my mind right then and there, one day I was going to be one of those fat cats, roll up in my Caddy and hand the pump jockey my credit card. Of course by the time that rolled around, there were no more full service stations. Life isn't fair.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    No too bad at work yesterday. Was a bit busy and one of the other drivers while driving the Camry shuttle, hit the curb and it resulted in the tire going flat. By the time I clocked in, only vehicle left was the Prius, so I go stuck with it. It's a bit slow on take off but eventually gets up to speed. Made about $15.00 in tips which wasn't too bad, made $17.00 last Monday but worked more hours. Of course, not everyone gives but the few that do make it well worth it. I never ask or anything but some folks have been really really nice.
    Can not wait till they give us some new vehicles tough. Was told that on the Prius, it's gone over 100K now. Did notice that more new vehicles have come in, mostly Camry's. Not many Rav4's and they go very quickly.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    corvette said:

Michaell said:

Just for car dealers. Used to be for liquor stores as well, but that ended a few years back.

I can't keep track, anymore... I've tried to buy beer at Aldi or Kroger on early Sunday mornings and gotten it confiscated by the cashier more times than I can count. I think our state says no package sales before noon on Sundays, but the city says 1:00 PM, however, if you go across the river to IN, you can buy package liquor at noon? I just try to go on a different day.

If you ever travel to Utah, it's a whole different ballgame. Most bars have electronic measuring devices on the liquor bottles to ensure compliance with the state laws against "strong drinks" and free drinks. I was at the hotel bar and ordered a beer flight. One of the kegs tapped out and the bartender had to stop tending the bar and complete a staggering amount of paperwork! :s
    I thought it was statewide 1 PM on Sundays in KY, which might hurt your sports bar establishments in the Central Time Zone. Also, it wasn't long ago that IN had no package sales at all on Sundays.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    ronsteve said:

corvette said:

Michaell said:

I thought it was statewide 1 PM on Sundays in KY, which might hurt your sports bar establishments in the Central Time Zone. Also, it wasn't long ago that IN had no package sales at all on Sundays.

When I was a kid, we took a trip back east and visited family in NJ. We went over the river to Philadelphia on a Sunday, only to learn that the blue laws meant that almost everything was shut down, other than the automat.

And, the bus service was very infrequent, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    ronsteve said:

You can definitely purchase by the drink at noon on Sundays. Package sales here in the city seem to be prohibited until 1:00 PM.
    Don't know the rules in Florida as we both don't drink...as in never! We just don't do it though when I worked at the post office, used to have my one beer a year. Must admit, a lot of my co-workers liked to drink, liked to drink a lot, and every year, at least once, I'd go with them o the local place and have my one beer. Seemed to make them happy I guess but I didn't get it then...and don't get it now, why so many like it so much. Have memories of having to go pick up my older brother from parties when I was i high school, as he was drunk a few times and couldn't drive home. Our bedrooms were on the front of the house so his friends wold come knock on my window and I'd quietly go out of the house and drive him home. Happened only a few times but I just didn't understand drinking so much, then getting so drunk that one couldn't function properly. And at least once, it had all come up & out!
    Guessing Mike would know the rules in Florida better than I.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Turns out my co-worker did sell his Nissan Versa to Carvana on Saturday, did o k to. Thinks he'll have something new by tomorrow but who knows. Not all dealers down here have a lot of inventory. He did used to work for an outfit called, "Offleaseonly.com", so he possibly could be going there, but they only sell used and from what I've found, the majority of their vehicles have had some kind of accident according to the Carfax report. Assuming the majority of them are minor fender benders but all the same, no clean Carfax reports on most of them. Not sure I could purchase from them even though they do have very good prices on what they offer and have multiple locations in the state. I see a lot of their logos on the license plate surround of many vehicles on the road which just proves to me that many folks can overlook that sort of thing. I'm not one of them though and not sure I could even do a pre-owned vehicle to be honest. I guess I could do a CPO unit if it had a great warranty and not much damage at all. I've bought used three times in my life, the '76 Izuzu Opel, the '79 Datsun B-210 and the '96 Toyota Corolla DX, all a year old with the Datsun being an ex-rental vehicle. The Opel was a total disaster, just awful and a big mistake. The Datsun was pretty decent and it was my first hatchback, the Opel being a 2-door and the Corolla being a 4-door. The Corolla had a broken back door lock and my first stop was to the Toyota store where I work now to have it replaced under warranty. A few hours later, I was back on the road with a working door lock with zero dollars out of my pocket. It was a very enjoyable vehicle bought for under $10K with some drama though. Let's just say working for the post office helped me get almost $1300 back as it was on sale but no one took the time to tell me.
    Guess I'm more comfortable in a new vehicle and willing to pay the premium to drive one. Just not sure what I'd do if I found the perfect vehicle and it just wasn't new. Just like I'm not sure about leasing the next time. I'm now the perfect candidate to do it actually and think it'll depend on the pricing and the particular vehicle as we're so used to owning our vehicles. Using one for a definite period of time and then turning it in for another is a whole new concept of transportation for me to wrap my mind around. Think it'll take some time for me to think about. I guess a good part of it is that if one likes the vehicle that much, and the residual is a really good price, buying it out is an option. But the being under warranty the whole time going forward is a very interesting concept indeed. Being that I no longer have the appetite for any vehicular drama, it's starting to look more of a win/win for someone like me.

Got up early this morning for some reason, I don't start today until 12:30. Found out that on Saturday, after the Camry got it's flat tire, they had to pull one of the older shuttle vehicles from the back, an older Scion, not sure which one though. I usually end up with the Prius since I start later in the day. We've been told that new vehicles are coming, just not sure when and what kind they will be. Hoping for some Camry's and Rav4's as they both have more room for customers and are probably more comfortable for them also. They'll have to be wrapped with the owner's logo on them but really, how long can that take to do? I know I'll be a much happier camper driving either one of those vehicles around, especially for the better low end torque. The Prius doesn't have much low end torque to speak of and think it's got an older CVT transmission to, a bit of a lugging issue on takeoff. Flooring the accelerator doesn't help and actually makes it worse...just would love a nicer vehicle to use going forward!

Saw online that a VW dealer in Ft. Lauderdale has gotten the new Taos in. Am very interested in trying one to be honest. As much as I think I'd like to go back to Toyota, want to try out the ones on my short list to see what I might be giving up. I might even see if I can rent a Mini Cooper Countryman for a couple of days just to see how I'd like it day to day. I've got a pretty high benchmark in my current Golf so anything I'm considering has to do everything better than it does. I don't plan on making a mistake this time like I did with the Tucson. Haven't really discussed it with the better half yet but she knows I'm actively looking for a replacement vehicle. Doubt she'll care what I get just as long as it fits on my side of the garage as she's said that getting anything too long just to have to park it outside all the time would be foolish, and I totally agree. That's why I think the Rav4 will not be added to the list even though it's probably a very good choice for me. We still need to discuss the possibility of my leasing a vehicle.
    Yesterday, tried to explain to her about getting an EV vehicle and the ramifications of owning one. Retrofitting the house would seem to be a must to charge it in a timely & efficient manner. And sure, there would be a lower cost not needing to use any petrol but there would be an increase in the amount of electricity we use at the house but personally, think the cost of the additional power used would be less, a good thing. We also discussed the range issue and that 300 miles/charge seems to be the average right now, something that we could definitely live with due to my decrease in miles driven/week. And having at least one gasoline vehicle in the garage would solve the issue of traveling out of town by car since we're gong to Orlando in October.
    But like Stick, I'm ready to start test driving a few vehicles and just hope the chip shortage can be worked out in time so I can start test driving!

My philosophy is that depreciation is my friend. I only buy new when it’s a vehicle that I really want and isn’t available in the used market- such as my Club Sport and MS3. As a result I bought my CPO 2er for the price of a new Camry and my wife nabbed her X1 M Sport for the same money that would have bought a base Escape.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    corvette said:

@henryn we have "dry counties" in KY, as well, and "wet cities" / "moist cities" where you can buy package liquor or liquor by the drink, respectively. I think private clubs are prohibited for liquor sales and that anybody and their mother can go to the (separate) liquor stores at Sam's Club and Costco to buy, even if they're not a member, so long as they are 21.

At one time, there were only around six counties in KY that were wet (out of 118). Now, I'd guess it's closer to half of them. When I lived in Laurel County, I had to drive about 40 miles to buy alcohol.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    Dealers here will open on the last Sunday of the month. Alcohol is county by county here in GA. Lake house is no sales on Sunday except restaurants. Home is anything goes after 12:30. I’m pretty sure there are still some dry counties in the south part of the state.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

Just another Sunday at my son’s flag football game in Greenwich, CT

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited June 2021
    Wow, they probably wouldn’t let my 13 year old Land Cruiser in the parking lot!

At least if the game is boring, you can have a great time walking the parking lot!

I’ll take the D90 and 911.

If you could afford the house in Greenwich and the Ferrari, you probably wouldn’t care. It’s just another car in the garage.

I’ll take the D90 and 911.

I think the Defender was a 110. I saw it driving around town and it was massive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You know what I’m not driving anywhere near kids with sporting equipment? My 993 or my Ferrari.

That's what I love about flag football. Show up with a Jersey, vinyl belt that holds your flags, and a pair of cleats. They play on turf, so there is no dirt or mud.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    Locally there is a group on Instagram called "NS Exotics" which documents the local population of Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos, 911s, etc. I am amazed at how many there are, especially since our roads are notorious for potholes and we really only have decent supercar weather from May to mid-October. In trying to figure out who owns them, there is no consistent pattern. Some big rental property tycoons, video game and animation developers, a few financial/investment types, and lots of offshore students bankrolled by family wealth in the Middle East and China.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@nyccarguy said:
    What I loved about the 993 (besides the fact that it was Hank Moody Colored) is that the car was dirty. Not filthy or in bad shape, just dirty. Water spots from the rain & some brake dust on the insides of the wheels. You can tell the car is driven.

I do appreciate that too. I’m not one for museum pieces.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

I see some serious iron at our place near Sea Isle City. In the liquor store parking lot a navy over camel Ferrari convertible yesterday. Stunning car in that combo.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

FYI
    If you put an asterisk at the beginning and end of a word it will change it to italics. Quicker than changing with the icons.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Fun plate on it, it's a 991 Turbo right? :)

I respect that more than say the Bentley or Ferrari, as it takes some love, not just Scrooge McDuck's vault, and it isn't really insanely flashy.

nyccarguy said:

You know what I’m not driving anywhere near kids with sporting equipment? My 993 or my Ferrari.

What I loved about the 993 (besides the fact that it was Hank Moody Colored) is that the car was dirty. Not filthy or in bad shape, just dirty. Water spots from the rain & some brake dust on the insides of the wheels. You can tell the car is driven.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927

Oddly, out of this pic, I want the Defender the most. Porsche is a Targa 4s, so not particularly enticing to me. I like those Bentleys better as coupes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Funny that the Defender appears to be LHD, but has an M registration UK plate (which corresponds to 1995, I think USDM Defenders existed then - always a trendy thing for overmonied boomer outdoorsy cosplayer types in tonier Seattle environs).

Proven fact, my vehicles are magnets for fully loaded lacrosse bags.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    It's shocking how much smaller the 993's are compared to 991's.
    I saw a tire to his 991 in my friend's garage floor the other day.
    At first I thought it was 2 tires, but looking closer I realized it was only one, 315 in width.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited June 2021

Maybe a couple of E46 owners here can commiserate with the brain dead moron who posted the following in the Comments section on the Car and Driver website:
    “Years ago I bought a very standard, low mileage, well kept, stock, clean, E46 330ci 6-speed. It was going to cost $1000 a month to keep up for at least the first year.”

Got up early this morning for some reason, I don't start today until 12:30. Found out that on Saturday, after the Camry got it's flat tire, they had to pull one of the older shuttle vehicles from the back, an older Scion, not sure which one though. I usually end up with the Prius since I start later in the day. We've been told that new vehicles are coming, just not sure when and what kind they will be. Hoping for some Camry's and Rav4's as they both have more room for customers and are probably more comfortable for them also. They'll have to be wrapped with the owner's logo on them but really, how long can that take to do? I know I'll be a much happier camper driving either one of those vehicles around, especially for the better low end torque. The Prius doesn't have much low end torque to speak of and think it's got an older CVT transmission to, a bit of a lugging issue on takeoff. Flooring the accelerator doesn't help and actually makes it worse...just would love a nicer vehicle to use going forward!

I'm surprised your dealer uses those cars as shuttles. The Toyota dealers in Alaska exclusively use Siennas for their shuttles.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    nyccarguy said:

Just another Sunday at my son’s flag football game in Greenwich, CT

Turns out, people who drive fancy cars are just as bad at parking as everyone else! :D

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    edited June 2021
    That must be the reserved parking area, The Defender is in #8.
    Those people were just leaving the Jr Hedge Funders vs Jr Trust Funders game. B)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

You can I think get FWD 2.0t. Based on Ford site build your own.

I think they need to basically replicate my old 1991 Nissan king cab (jump seats, but could have down a small bench like Mazda had). That was about 195” long (I think the Maverick will be about 198”?). And the bed was about 6’2”. Garageable, but nice useful bed size.

stickguy: The new Maverick truck is 199.7 inches long, and so about 200. I know cars and trucks are different things, but you were saying earlier that the new TLX, which is 194.6 inches, was probably a bit big for you. The Maverick is an appealing package in some ways, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be to drive.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

@roadburner - huh? How did they land at that?

The multiple lines under the Defender give me a mixed message, the LR4 is a bit close, and the angled front wheels of the Bentley aren't a good sign.
    Was he going to do a cooling system replacement, clutch, transmission rebuild, and top end rebuild all in the first year?

I've got a lot of similar comments about keeping old MBs - may not be like a Camrolla, but I'm also not driving a 50 year old MB 600 - it's not that bad.

Maybe a couple of E46 owners here can commiserate with the brain dead moron who posted the following in the Comments section on the Car and Driver website:

“Years ago I bought a very standard, low mileage, well kept, stock, clean, E46 330ci 6-speed. It was going to cost $1000 a month to keep up for at least the first year.”

Maybe not on a 6 cyl, but I’ve been watching legit street cars project on his CLS63 V12. Engine out, complete tear down, to replace a leaking oil seal O ring ($.50 part). Dealer cost, parts $.50, labor $9,999.50. A $10k job. Plus the “while you are in there’s”.

@28firefighter- I responded:
    “Wow. I budget $400 per month to maintain all five of the following vehicles;
    2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport
    2014 M235i
    2009 Cooper Clubman
    1999 Wrangler Sahara
    1995 318ti Club Sport
    For the year I'm running a $900 surplus. I'm replacing the M235i with an M2 Comp, so I fully expect to have 4-5 Visa cards bouncing off their credit limits while I subsist on rain water and ramen noodles.
    Such is life...”