Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@28firefighter - I thought you were on vacation????

Finally talked to adjuster- they still have not talked to bus driver. They asked us to send the cell phone pictures that we took.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,385
    mjfloyd1 said:

Finally talked to adjuster- they still have not talked to bus driver. They asked us to send the cell phone pictures that we took.

Wow, my patience would have been long expended at this point. I forget, are you at least in a rental yet?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Nope

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945
    Tried to get a Jeep update. This is all they could tell me so far:

Thank you so much for holding. I am showing all of the materials needed to start the build process have been received. Your Jeep Wrangler 4xe should be entering the build process soon. I would say the Delivery date is a good ETA, but is subject to change.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You’re in D1. I sat there for a bit but then it completed build quickly.

When did yours show up in the automated system? I still get the screens that no information can be found for both Window Sticker and Build Sheet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@qbrozen said:
    When did yours show up in the automated system? I still get the screens that no information can be found for both Window Sticker and Build Sheet.

Right after it went to paint the build sheet appeared. I didn’t get a sticker until it was marked as shipped.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    xwesx said:

Got up early this morning for some reason, I don't start today until 12:30. Found out that on Saturday, after the Camry got it's flat tire, they had to pull one of the older shuttle vehicles from the back, an older Scion, not sure which one though. I usually end up with the Prius since I start later in the day. We've been told that new vehicles are coming, just not sure when and what kind they will be. Hoping for some Camry's and Rav4's as they both have more room for customers and are probably more comfortable for them also. They'll have to be wrapped with the owner's logo on them but really, how long can that take to do? I know I'll be a much happier camper driving either one of those vehicles around, especially for the better low end torque. The Prius doesn't have much low end torque to speak of and think it's got an older CVT transmission to, a bit of a lugging issue on takeoff. Flooring the accelerator doesn't help and actually makes it worse...just would love a nicer vehicle to use going forward!

I'm surprised your dealer uses those cars as shuttles. The Toyota dealers in Alaska exclusively use Siennas for their shuttles.
    The Ford dealer closest to me uses Transit vans. When I had a Volkswagen, the independent repair shop that I went to used a Sienna minivan. I don't believe I've ever been in a sedan for a dealer supplied trip.

Well, here lately I've been in several Uber rides, 2 of them paid for by the dealers to whom I sold my truck and minivan. And those were sedans, of course.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319
    Over the last decade or so, the shuttles have been Flex's. A time or 2, MKT or MKX.
    Usually, I just wait.
    I am going to see if my wife is ok with the Lincoln pick up/drop off for her next appointment.
    There are a couple of campaigns in addition to oil change/tire rotation, so that's going to take longer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited June 2021
    henryn said:

The Ford dealer closest to me uses Transit vans. When I had a Volkswagen, the independent repair shop that I went to used a Sienna minivan. I don't believe I've ever been in a sedan for a dealer supplied trip.

Well, here lately I've been in several Uber rides, 2 of them paid for by the dealers to whom I sold my truck and minivan. And those were sedans, of course.

I like the Transits. I suspect that our local Ford will move to TransitConnect (or Transit) soon; currently, they use Flex. And, I love riding in those for some reason. They are just incredibly roomy and comfortable regardless of what seat you get.

But, who knows? For access to AWD, they might even go with Explorer, even though, capacity-wise, those just aren't up to snuff in the third row department.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    My Cadillac dealer suspended the shuttles in March 2020 due to Covid and when I was last there a couple of months ago they still had not reinstated them. I wonder if they decided to get rid of them entirely. The last few times I used them, they were using GMC Acadias.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    Transit comes as AWD too. I never thought it did, but the one I rented recently had an AWD badge on the back, so I assume it does!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I decided to amuse myself by looking at local dealers to see what they actual list as new car stock. So far I looked at a Nissan dealer. a few of most things, but a pretty good stock of Roques. Maybe 35 of them, and 20 total of everything else? something like that.

If the online inventories are any indication, then Toyata / Honda / Nissan are better off than Ford or Chevy. Of course, those online inventories could be total fabrications. You would have to go there and walk the lot to get a real indication of current stock.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,666

As most of you know, my son and I aren’t interested in very many domestic vehicles; Jeeps and the occasional V8 ponycar/muscle car are just about it. Well, I saw this for sale and my son likes it too- it’s so over the top that we both think I should buy it to drive to Nashville next weekend for the Cup race.

LOL, the ugliest car Chevy ever built.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Oh, come on, you can't really think that. Don't make me post pics of way worse designs.

nyccarguy said:

Just another Sunday at my son’s flag football game in Greenwich, CT

I would be so paranoid to own any of those cars and park them like that among other cars. One scratch and I’d slash my wrists.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I mentioned the nutty offer that Carvana gave me on my car to the boss this morning and he said that he traded in his Traverse for an up trim model and got $9k more for it than he paid.

Also we were told today that the company would be getting in some EV Hyundai Konas in the near future. That should prove interesting since our stores routinely give us units which are out of gas. While filling up an empty gas vehicle is merely annoying, trying to drive an out of charge EV a few hundred miles might be a problem.

mjfloyd1 said:

Get a lawyer.

edited June 2021

I mentioned the nutty offer that Carvana gave me on my car to the boss this morning and he said that he traded in his Traverse for an up trim model and got $9k more for it than he paid.

Also we were told today that the company would be getting in some EV Hyundai Konas in the near future. That should prove interesting since our stores routinely give us units which are out of gas. While filling up an empty gas vehicle is merely annoying, trying to drive an out of charge EV a few hundred miles might be a problem.

Well, I think transport with full batteries is likely to be a lot different in terms of safety protocols than transporting a vehicle with a full fuel tank. In other words, it's possible that they'll give you charged, or at least reasonably charged, cars. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Oh, come on, you can't really think that. Don't make me post pics of way worse designs.
    Go ahead, I double dog dare ya! ;)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

qbrozen said:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

the MAXX I can appreciate because I am a big 5 door hatch fan. That Monte, not good looking (but the Pontiac version was very sharp).

but I always despised that vintage bathtub Caprice. Just horrible.

I admit the Caprice is bad. I wouldn't want to be caught riding around in it. Not that I would rather walk, but I could just stay home.

When I first saw a Taurus I had a similar reaction. Eventually it sort of grew on me, at least to the point that I could ride in or drive one. But I would never have owned one.
    I think the worst was one vintage smaller Buick that was all weird swoops and curves, inside and out. 2 door especially bad.

stickguy said:

I think the worst was one vintage smaller Buick that was all weird swoops and curves, inside and out. 2 door especially bad.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    The beak Skylark. IIRC George Costanza had one.

Count me in as another who doesn't mind the Malibu Maxx.

stickguy said:

edited June 2021

I mean, really, the Lumina is all one needs to win this discussion!

qbrozen said:

Don't you be hating on the dustbusters!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    qbrozen said:

So says the guy who has one of these in his driveway... ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The later Caprice's look a bit better with the rounded rear wheel wells.
    Not really an attractive car, though.

@ab348 said:

The Fiat is a gorgeous car, IMHO.

@qbrozen - check your pm

edited June 2021

qbrozen said:

Well, yeah....those are pretty bad. Although the SS version of that Caprice is considered collectible in the same circles as that signature Monte Carlo.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I can understand the B-body Impala SS as a collector's item. The FWD Monte Carlo, not so much.
    edited June 2021
    qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

The Fiat is a gorgeous car, IMHO.

---------------------------

And, even if it's not, he keeps it in the garage in order to protect the eyes of innocent passersby. :D
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    I see those NASCAR-themed FWD Montes as turn of the century boomer kitsch. Heck, the dustbuster is cooler, especially as nice ones are getting thin on the ground now - nobody saved them. There's an Olds Silhouette in my neighborhood, at a hoarder house, so it kind of looks the part. A real rarity in 2021.
    corvette said:

I can understand the B-body Impala SS as a collector's item. The FWD Monte Carlo, not so much.

I think all the value in that Monte Carlo is written on the back.

fintail said:

I see those NASCAR-themed FWD Montes as turn of the century boomer kitsch. Heck, the dustbuster is cooler, especially as nice ones are getting thin on the ground now - nobody saved them. There's an Olds Silhouette in my neighborhood, at a hoarder house, so it kind of looks the part. A real rarity in 2021.

I may start a Pontiac Aztec collection and hold them until the public comes to appreciate their value.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    Though no threat to @breld or @qbrozen for number of cars owned, I compiled a list of cars that I've owned since my first car that I bought in 1977 as a junior in hs for $100, a 62 Galaxie 2dr sedan. I won't list them all but thought I'd share those brands I owned the most. Of 45 cars and one truck, 10 VWs, 6 Oldsmobiles, 5 Cadillacs, 5 Hondas and 4 Mazdas. The other makes total 1 or 2.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I may start a Pontiac Aztec collection and hold them until the public comes to appreciate their value.

In the early 2000s, if you just wanted a CUV that checked certain boxes (available AWD, leather, sunroof, etc.), and didn't care about driving dynamics or how it looked, you could pick up a 1-2 year old one for very cheap.
    This kind of intrigues me as a potential road trip car, even though I am under miles on my lease and don't need a second car right now. Very low miles, tasteful OE wheels from a different car, no timing belt to replace because it might be as old as the car. The V6 is extremely rare on these--seems like 90% of the used ones I see are the 2.0T. I'm not wild about the exterior color, but it otherwise looks nice. I'm betting it brings close to $10k, which is about double what I'd be willing to pay for it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    corvette said:

This kind of intrigues me as a potential road trip car, even though I am under miles on my lease and don't need a second car right now. Very low miles, tasteful OE wheels from a different car, no timing belt to replace because it might be as old as the car. The V6 is extremely rare on these--seems like 90% of the used ones I see are the 2.0T. I'm not wild about the exterior color, but it otherwise looks nice. I'm betting it brings close to $10k, which is about double what I'd be willing to pay for it.

We drove one a few years back, when looking for a car (2017?). Only the one we drove had a manual transmission.

IMO, that car is one repair away from going to the scrapyard.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

If it were closer, I might go as high as $7k. But I think you're right, probably $10k or north of there.
    edited June 2021
    @corvette,
    First rule of a road trip vehicle is, it has to get you there.
    Next, if there is a problem, you need to be able to get parts to fix it.
    Fuel mileage isn't going to be great compared to more modern cars either.
    I do think it's pretty cool, just not as a road trip car.
    sda said:

Though no threat to @breld or @qbrozen for number of cars owned, I compiled a list of cars that I've owned since my first car that I bought in 1977 as a junior in hs for $100, a 62 Galaxie 2dr sedan. I won't list them all but thought I'd share those brands I owned the most. Of 45 cars and one truck, 10 VWs, 6 Oldsmobiles, 5 Cadillacs, 5 Hondas and 4 Mazdas. The other makes total 1 or 2.

wow. 10 VWs. impressive.

qbrozen said:

Well, yeah....those are pretty bad. Although the SS version of that Caprice is considered collectible in the same circles as that signature Monte Carlo.
    The Impala SS hides a lot of the awkwardness of the Caprice.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited June 2021
    sda said:

Of 45 cars and one truck, . . .

In the 52 years I've been driving (first 5 years were all motorcycles) I've owned 8 cars, plus my Kenworth. The cars were driven a bit over 900K miles -- one MGB, two Datsuns (240Z and 510), two Mazdas (Miatas), one Eagle Vision, one Lincoln LS and one Acura TSX. Only one of them was built in the U.S. and only one had an automatic transmission (the Eagle) Even my KW was built in Canada. I've also driven rental cars a bit over 170K miles.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester