Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I remember reading recently possibly on this site that certain packages on vehicles that were going to be leased could not be residualized and hence lease payment was going to be higher than expected. If you take this approach for purchase, I can see car rental companies getting base models. If one wants to purchase from rental company can always upgrade rims, interior, and possible audio system.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945

@mlevine said:
    I remember reading recently possibly on this site that certain packages on vehicles that were going to be leased could not be residualized and hence lease payment was going to be higher than expected. If you take this approach for purchase, I can see car rental companies getting base models. If one wants to purchase from rental company can always upgrade rims, interior, and possible audio system.

Usually, anything dealer-added is not residualized. Anything that is on the monroney label is.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited June 2021
    tjc78 said:

Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook marketplace has to have plenty of OEM F150 wheels for sale.

I’d change them out. Keep them and if you sell the truck either sell them or the nicer set.

I am leaning towards doing it, just for the fact that I would enjoy the enhanced appearance myself.

Here's a nice looking set of Ford OEM 17 inch wheels for $399.

https://houston.craigslist.org/wtd/d/houston-17-ford-150-rims-and-tires/7336683236.html

The tires aren't so good, but I have nearly new 17 inch tires, so I would just need mounting, balancing, and probably new TPMS (the way the TPMS system worked changed in 2014 for Ford and my truck is a 2013, and these wheels are probably newer). Maybe $550 all in?

On the other hand, here is a set of new wheels and tires (300 miles) for $900.

https://houston.craigslist.org/wto/d/houston-ford-oem-rims-and-tires/7338123077.html

They look to be the same wheels as in the other ad, but with new Michelins and no curb rash on the wheels. I would think I could get $300 or $350 for my present wheels and tires (the tires being almost new). I would still have to change out the TPMS units, but this being an individual I would save 8.25% on sales tax.

I just looked up the cost of new TPMS. Discount Tire wants $60 per tire. Ouch. RockAuto has them at $19.27 per wheel, and up. Ebay has Chinese parts at $33.50 for a set of four, with good reviews.

With this truck being 8 years old, and TPMS sensors rated for a battery life of 8 to 9 years anyway, new sensors seems like a good idea.

Decisions, decisions.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

I have been thinking about upgrading the wheels on this 2013 F150 XL work truck. I was trying to decide if I would get the money back, or at least most of it, when I resell in a year or so. In most cases, I would think so. But this is a work truck, and if I sell it to someone looking for a work truck, they absolutely may not care about the wheels.

Hard to say though. There is one guy shows up occasionally at the home construction site across the street, I think he is doing HVAC duct work, but I’m not sure. He drives a late model Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, clean and shiny, at least $60k new, probably more. But most of the trucks and vans I see over there are ratty at best.

Have you noticed that Craigslist now has a section devoted to “wheels and tires”? Looking through there, you can buy a set of wheels and new tires (takeoffs) for less than what the new tires would cost you. You can also pay an exorbitant amount for the wheels that are in vogue right now. Which primarily means black, and I don’t much care for black, so I would be happy buying their chrome-clad wheels which came on their new truck.

I’m leaning towards leaving it alone. The tires on my truck are almost new, and there is nothing wrong with the wheels (other than being very plain). I was trying to remember the last time I owned a vehicle with plain steel wheels, and it has been a while. At least they don’t have ridiculous plastic wheel covers.

I thought those were ridiculous plastic wheel covers. :s

jmonroe
    I just noticed, you are too ashamed to list your car at the bottom of your posts! :p
    Not ashamed, I just got tired trying to do it and it not working.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited June 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

I have been thinking about upgrading the wheels on this 2013 F150 XL work truck. I was trying to decide if I would get the money back, or at least most of it, when I resell in a year or so. In most cases, I would think so. But this is a work truck, and if I sell it to someone looking for a work truck, they absolutely may not care about the wheels.

Hard to say though. There is one guy shows up occasionally at the home construction site across the street, I think he is doing HVAC duct work, but I’m not sure. He drives a late model Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, clean and shiny, at least $60k new, probably more. But most of the trucks and vans I see over there are ratty at best.

Have you noticed that Craigslist now has a section devoted to “wheels and tires”? Looking through there, you can buy a set of wheels and new tires (takeoffs) for less than what the new tires would cost you. You can also pay an exorbitant amount for the wheels that are in vogue right now. Which primarily means black, and I don’t much care for black, so I would be happy buying their chrome-clad wheels which came on their new truck.

I’m leaning towards leaving it alone. The tires on my truck are almost new, and there is nothing wrong with the wheels (other than being very plain). I was trying to remember the last time I owned a vehicle with plain steel wheels, and it has been a while. At least they don’t have ridiculous plastic wheel covers.

jmonroe
    I just noticed, you are too ashamed to list your car at the bottom of your posts! :p

jmonroe

Actually, it does work. The setting is just not where you think it is. You think it's under "Vehicles I Currently Own". Wrong. It's under "signature settings".

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094
    Just back home after getting my 2nd Covid vaccine shot (Moderna) so I should be good to go. Although if I start picking up 5G signals on my tooth fillings I'll have to see if that's an advantage or not. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

Just back home after getting my 2nd Covid vaccine shot (Moderna) so I should be good to go. Although if I start picking up 5G signals on my tooth fillings I'll have to see if that's an advantage or not. ;)

As long as you're functioning as a cell phone antenna, would you mind standing next to me? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    ab348 said:

maybe you can ditch your cell phone plan?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @henryn Those wheels would make your truck look much better, not that it isn't nice now :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Had the cracks in the driveway filled and the whole thing sealed.
    Nice to have it looking refreshed after 20+ years.

Explorer, the driveway looks good....would like to see a before picture. You need more plants in that semi-circle area and put away the watering can before you take a picture. Looks like a nice lush green area.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    henryn said:

I think those wheels are fine. Being a work truck and 15 years old I don’t think it will attract the country club set who might care about fancy wheels. Your buyer demographic would probably be someone like me who would use the truck for utilitarian purposes and would actually prefer more durable steel wheels.

If you want to dress it up do it for yourself.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe

jmonroe

Actually, it does work. The setting is just not where you think it is. You think it's under "Vehicles I Currently Own". Wrong. It's under "signature settings".

Thanks, it worked that time.

In the past (and also this time), the box that popped up looked like a dialog box so I never thought that was the right place so I never entered anything there. This time I copied and pasted to that box from another field where I entered that same info and it worked.

Now folks will think I'm showing off.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    Just going to attract parts strippers anyway!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

You'll get used to it. We're all interconnected now.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    Actually, JMonroe may have a point, nice strongly designed wheels may toughen the look of the truck up!

I don’t think those wheels do much for that truck. The two tone paint does as much as the wheels.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe
    Actually, JMonroe may have a point, nice strongly designed wheels may toughen the look of the truck up!

I don’t think those wheels do much for that truck. The two tone paint does as much as the wheels.
    I would tend to agree, the 2 tone paint is nice. But that's not something you're going to add after the fact. Wheels are easy to change, two tone paint not so much.
    edited June 2021
    A little paint, some new wheels....2006 Ford F-150:

driver100 said:

I also see some custom body parts, including the hood. I could always set up a crowd funding site, get someone else to pay. Hmm....
    edited June 2021

henryn said:

I think those wheels are fine. Being a work truck and 15 years old I don’t think it will attract the country club set who might care about fancy wheels. Your buyer demographic would probably be someone like me who would use the truck for utilitarian purposes and would actually prefer more durable steel wheels.

If you want to dress it up do it for yourself.

I don't disagree with your basic premise, but I should point out the truck is only 8 years old, not 15. B)

On Edit: and it could also wind up selling to some kid for his first truck. In which case, I should obviously jack it up at least 6 inches and add super swamper tires. Never mind that it's not even 4 wheel drive, doesn't matter.
    Those wheels for $399 looked pretty good. If you already have the tires for them, I'd go with that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

henryn said:

driver100 said:

I also see some custom body parts, including the hood. I could always set up a crowd funding site, get someone else to pay. Hmm....
    I am sure your C&C poster buddies will chip in.

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook marketplace has to have plenty of OEM F150 wheels for sale.

I’d change them out. Keep them and if you sell the truck either sell them or the nicer set.

I am leaning towards doing it, just for the fact that I would enjoy the enhanced appearance myself.

https://houston.craigslist.org/wtd/d/houston-17-ford-150-rims-and-tires/7336683236.html

The tires aren't so good, but I have nearly new 17 inch tires, so I would just need mounting, balancing, and probably new TPMS (the way the TPMS system worked changed in 2014 for Ford and my truck is a 2013, and these wheels are probably newer). Maybe $550 all in?

https://houston.craigslist.org/wto/d/houston-ford-oem-rims-and-tires/7338123077.html

They look to be the same wheels as in the other ad, but with new Michelins and no curb rash on the wheels. I would think I could get $300 or $350 for my present wheels and tires (the tires being almost new). I would still have to change out the TPMS units, but this being an individual I would save 8.25% on sales tax.

I just looked up the cost of new TPMS. Discount Tire wants $60 per tire. Ouch. RockAuto has them at $19.27 per wheel, and up. Ebay has Chinese parts at $33.50 for a set of four, with good reviews.

With this truck being 8 years old, and TPMS sensors rated for a battery life of 8 to 9 years anyway, new sensors seems like a good idea.

Decisions, decisions.
    I considered upgrading wheels from Craigslist but I heard that sometimes you get damaged wheels that someone is trying to dump, or worse stolen wheels. Do you have the ability to tell if the wheels you buy are true? I wouldn’t have a clue.

BTW I apologize for saying your truck was 15 years old. For some reason I thought it was a 2006 but now I remember it’s much newer. On a truck that new it might be worth it to put better wheels on it.

edited June 2021

henryn said:

tjc78 said:

Decisions, decisions.
    I considered upgrading wheels from Craigslist but I heard that sometimes you get damaged wheels that someone is trying to dump, or worse stolen wheels. Do you have the ability to tell if the wheels you buy are true? I wouldn’t have a clue.

BTW I apologize for saying your truck was 15 years old. For some reason I thought it was a 2006 but now I remember it’s much newer. On a truck that new it might be worth it to put better wheels on it.
    No need for apology, there are a lot of people on here with a lot of vehicles -- some definitely more than others, and you know who you are! B)

No, I wouldn't be able to tell if a wheel were "true", as in truly round within a very small margin of error. If I buy from a business then I would have a certain degree of safety. The one ad I posted is from an outfit that does a lot of the upgrades, and they have a great many ads on Craigslist selling their trade-ins.

And there are more things that could be wrong than just out of round. That last Cadillac I owned had leaky wheels, you had to air up the tires every 2 or 3 days. Very nice looking chrome wheels, but drove me nuts.

For four or five hundred, I might be willing to take a chance. Some of those newer tire and wheel sets are a lot more expensive, and I wouldn't do that without some sort of guarantee. And I wouldn't spend that much on this old truck anyway.

For instance, here's a set of wheels and tires for $2.5k. Same business, but not something I would ever do, even for a brand new truck. And not those wheels either, even if they were less expensive, I don't like the looks.

https://houston.craigslist.org/wtd/d/houston-17-ford-raptor-150-wheels-and/7338444470.html

Finding a rental car this summer could be a high-cost nightmare. Here's why.

Enterprise said in a statement that it anticipates high demand throughout the summer, and asked travelers to book as early as possible. Specialty vehicles such as vans, pick-up trucks, convertibles, and large SUVs are in particularly high demand, the company said.

Ken Daniel, 49, who lives on the west side of Houston, can attest to this. Usually he rents an SUV to take his family on their annual road trip to Florida, but stopped in his tracks after he saw the price. It would have cost about $2,500 for the week, about double what he usually spent.

He looked at Hertz, Enterprise and Avis Budget, but couldn’t find a better deal. After crunching the numbers, he realized it would just be cheaper to fly.
    I checked Hertz local office for a couple days in July when the princess will be back here, and wanted to go to her office in Delaware. Thought maybe get a car instead of having her take our only one. Nothing cheap (usual mini car for $110ish, midsize $130, and SUV for $200+

oddly, the transit I rented a month back for $53/day now was listed at $185! Maybe other people figured out that hack?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    Friend is going to LA in about 2 months, needs a minivan, couldn't find anything for under $200/day. Now he is saying "Turo", but hasn't actually looked there yet, we'll see how that goes.
    just watched the latest Dennis Collins coffee walk episode. He flew into Indy after midnight, discovered no rental cars at all, so ended up on Turo. Was shortly presented with some guys car. An Audi A8L. Not, what I would have expected!

Minivans are notoriously expensive to rent.

We have a car reserved in Providence for late July. Total cost of $200 for four days. Not bad.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    How Augmented Reality is about to change buying and driving a car.

In this short six minute video Brian Cooley of CNET discusses AR and how the Mercedes Benz S Class and the Cadillac Escalade have incorporated AR into the driving experience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaWzVkI4v0Q
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

@kyfdx said:

We have a car reserved in Providence for late July. Total cost of $200 for four days. Not bad.

And yet I can’t tell you how many times I ended up in one when that’s all they had.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

@kyfdx said:

And yet I can’t tell you how many times I ended up in one when that’s all they had.

Yeah, it's only when you need it...

When I rent from downtown locations, they always try to stick me with what they can't rent. Picking up a car in downtown Seattle, to drive to Portland and back. They tried to get me to take a SuperDuty F-250. No thanks, I'll just take the Elantra with 30K miles..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2021
    henryn said:

Finding a rental car this summer could be a high-cost nightmare. Here's why.

Enterprise said in a statement that it anticipates high demand throughout the summer, and asked travelers to book as early as possible. Specialty vehicles such as vans, pick-up trucks, convertibles, and large SUVs are in particularly high demand, the company said.

Ken Daniel, 49, who lives on the west side of Houston, can attest to this. Usually he rents an SUV to take his family on their annual road trip to Florida, but stopped in his tracks after he saw the price. It would have cost about $2,500 for the week, about double what he usually spent.

He looked at Hertz, Enterprise and Avis Budget, but couldn’t find a better deal. After crunching the numbers, he realized it would just be cheaper to fly.
    We frequently get assigned to airport duty because all available cars are booked. We take a return car out of the airport, drive a mile to the cleaning facility and jump in another recently cleaned car to return it to the airport. Usually there is a customer waiting in line to take the keys.

The Hertz booth is even worse. Often there are so many people waiting for cars to arrive that they block the roadway making it difficult for us to get our cars in.

edited June 2021
    fintail said:

Friend is going to LA in about 2 months, needs a minivan, couldn't find anything for under $200/day. Now he is saying "Turo", but hasn't actually looked there yet, we'll see how that goes.

Turbo isn’t allowed in NY but I’ve heard horror stories about some of the cars for rent there. I think there is a video by Super Speeder Rob on YT where he talks about a car he rented only to discover it had a salvage title and some serious mechanical problems.

Found it:
    https://youtu.be/hQlrGGJodgQ

kyfdx said:

Is that through some corporate account? I’ve noticed the big businesses get a better rate and availability that the regular Joe.

I just checked rentals from Tampa airport....for one week in July most rentals are about $770. Not too long ago it would have been 1/3 to 1/2 of that. You can shave about $8 off of that if you get a Spark! Shave off almost $100 if you take a Versa.
    For $770 you can get cars like Corollas, Cruze, Malibu.

They rate the rental companies on Expedia, Dollar and Thrifty get 60%, Hertz 70%, Alamo 90%, Avis 67% and Enterprise 87%.....I guess oldfarmer is doing a good job!

kyfdx said:

Is that through some corporate account? I’ve noticed the big businesses get a better rate and availability that the regular Joe.
    Yes, a corp account. Leisure rates are nuts. Of course, most non-vacation destinations get most of their business from corporate accounts.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I just got a survey to fill out...I think it is a Canadian company, they say I took their survey before but I don't remember that. It is probably a Russian hacker trying to get some info off of me.
    Dear__________________
    Sometime ago, you completed our New Vehicle Customer Satisfaction Study. Thank you for completing that study, your feedback was highly valuable.

At this time we are asking for your participation for a different study. We will be asking your opinion on Zero Emission Vehicles.

This survey should take approximately 15 minutes and will help inform the auto industry on ways to improve their products and services for you, the consumer.

Would you do it?

driver100 said:

I just got a survey to fill out...I think it is a Canadian company, they say I took their survey before but I don't remember that. It is probably a Russian hacker trying to get some info off of me.
    Dear__________________
    Sometime ago, you completed our New Vehicle Customer Satisfaction Study. Thank you for completing that study, your feedback was highly valuable.

At this time we are asking for your participation for a different study. We will be asking your opinion on Zero Emission Vehicles.

This survey should take approximately 15 minutes and will help inform the auto industry on ways to improve their products and services for you, the consumer.

Would you do it?

No, not for an outfit I'm not familiar with. I occasionally try to do an online survey for some company that I am familiar with, say Home Depot. Almost always I get fed up and quit before I finish. The ask the same thing repeatedly, in slightly different ways, which gets old fast.
    driver100 said:

I just checked rentals from Tampa airport....for one week in July most rentals are about $770. Not too long ago it would have been 1/3 to 1/2 of that. You can shave about $8 off of that if you get a Spark! Shave off almost $100 if you take a Versa.

They rate the rental companies on Expedia, Dollar and Thrifty get 60%, Hertz 70%, Alamo 90%, Avis 67% and Enterprise 87%.....I guess oldfarmer is doing a good job!

Sandy is in charge of Florida. :p

driver100 said:

Dear__________________

Would you do it?

Circular file it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@kyfdx said:

When I rent from downtown locations, they always try to stick me with what they can't rent. Picking up a car in downtown Seattle, to drive to Portland and back. They tried to get me to take a SuperDuty F-250. No thanks, I'll just take the Elantra with 30K miles..

If you picked up from the downtown location I’m thinking of, it’s in a parking garage and I’m trying to picture how they got an F-250 in let alone out…

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

driver100 said:

I knew that.....it is just the overall performance of the company....I think the satisfaction rate went up significantly since you joined.

henryn said:

driver100 said:

Dear__________________

Would you do it?

No, not for an outfit I'm not familiar with. I occasionally try to do an online survey for some company that I am familiar with, say Home Depot. Almost always I get fed up and quit before I finish. The ask the same thing repeatedly, in slightly different ways, which gets old fast.
    You confirmed my thinking........I give 15 minutes of my time probably so they can learn more about me and know what kind of material they can target me for.

driver100 said:

When he does better, Alamo will let him work for them. :(

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    I was going to rent a Camaro/Challenger/Mustang to drive down to Nashville for the Cup race- none available, at any price...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    edited June 2021
    I'd have the same worry - there's only so much vetting in those services. I suspect there's little to no recourse if a wheel falls off while cruising at 65 mph.

I'll be renting from Hertz around Christmas - not sure what prices will be like then, but I will be using points as usual, so availability might be the issue.

fintail said:

Turbo isn’t allowed in NY but I’ve heard horror stories about some of the cars for rent there. I think there is a video by Super Speeder Rob on YT where he talks about a car he rented only to discover it had a salvage title and some serious mechanical problems.

Found it:
    https://youtu.be/hQlrGGJodgQ

@kyfdx said:

If you picked up from the downtown location I’m thinking of, it’s in a parking garage and I’m trying to picture how they got an F-250 in let alone out…

Exactly. And, we were staying at a small hotel in Portland, with underground parking. Even the Elantra turned out to be a tight fit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was going to rent a Camaro/Challenger/Mustang to drive down to Nashville for the Cup race- none available, at any price...

Expedia had Sparks and Versas available. :p
    You can make a grand entrance.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I knew that.....it is just the overall performance of the company....I think the satisfaction rate went up significantly since you joined.
    I know that my satisfaction rate has gone up since I joined.

BTW, you listed Alamo as being the top of that list. They’re owned by Enterprise.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I know that my satisfaction rate has gone up since I joined.

BTW, you listed Alamo as being the top of that list. They’re owned by Enterprise.
    Didn't see National on the list. Also owned by Enterprise

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator