Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    henryn said:

RE: The Scotty video, and electric cars.

My thoughts: Things can change, dramatically, and in a short period of time. We have seen this, in our lifetimes. Think about the microprocessor, and what changes that wrought. And, oh yeah, the internet. My belief is that electric cars are coming, it is unstoppable.

Anyone who understands the internal workings of an internal combustion engine, versus that of an electric motor, already knows the inherent superiority of the electric motor.

Drive cross country in a EV vs and ICE and tell me about which one is superior. And until they can make batteries that can hold a massive charge without using rare earth elements you will never see 100% EV's.
    henryn said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of a big throaty V8 engine in a Mustang GT. But those days are numbered, you can bet on it.

Hey, just thinking about this gives me the urge to run out and buy a Mustang GT before it’s too late. But of course you can’t right now, none to be bought.

There are 18 brand new Mustang GT's for sale within 25 miles of me. What you will have to give up for one is another issue.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Breakthrough battery tech is going to be the key.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@henryn I agree mostly, gas engines are pretty crude compared to an EV.
    But, I don't know if the current system is the one that we will end up with.
    First they put record players in cars, then 8 tracks, then cassettes', then CDs, now phones - sticks - satellite.
    Todays EV could be tomorrows 8 track.
    I grew up loving gas powered cars....EVs seem like fancy computers to me, but I know the change is coming.

We have to start somewhere. It’s not who does it first, it’s who improves on the design the best. If that didn’t happen in the past, we’d still be driving on square wheels.

jmonroe
    Square wheels?

https://youtu.be/CIN8Q_4iaxU

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Now you tell me. I left the E400 at the dealers yesterday and dropped off the keys. They called this morning and gave me two choices, the same Goodyear Eagle Sports or Pirelli P-Zeros. I went with the Pirellis.....one site rated them in the top 3.....not the Goodyears.

Hope you have better luck with Pirellis than Max did:

Is there a real report on that anywhere? I'm just curious if they determined a tire was at fault. Can't tell in the video (the front tire damage was a result of hitting the wall).
    There were two tire failures in that race - both were the right rear, and both failed on the same part of the track (long straight). Pirelli did determine the cause of the failures, and made some "recommendations" for PSI adjustments to the French Grand Prix that was held yesterday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

First they put record players in cars, then 8 tracks, then cassettes', then CDs, now phones - sticks - satellite.
    I grew up loving gas powered cars....EVs seem like fancy computers to me, but I know the change is coming.

Climate deniers are trying to solve a problem that does not exist. There are few, if any, who will drive a car coast to coast without stopping to refuel or take a refreshment break. During that brief rest stop one can top-off their battery and extend their driving range by another 150 miles or more. Problem solved.

Most EV owners charge their batteries overnight in their garage. So when they wake up in the morning they have 300 + miles of range that is more than adequate for commuting to and from work for an entire week. There is no need for range anxiety as that fear is more imagined than real.

Besides, there will always be ICE vehicles for those unwilling or unable to change with the times. The legacy auto manufacturers sat on their behinds for years waiting on others to do the heavy lifting. Now that EV technology is beyond the proof of concept stage they are all rushing in with grandiose plans for future electric propulsion systems.
    Many people don’t have garages or anyway to home charge. So won’t work for them. And stopping for 90 minutes on a rainy holiday evening to park outside a closed Walmart, does not sound like fun!

Pretty sure there are also many remote parts of the country with little to no charging infrastructure.

Great for people that live in populous areas that have garages, and never venture far from home though!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    carnaught said:

@driver100, proceed with caution - I was not crazy about the ride and noise from the Pirellis I had on my GLC plus @oldfarmer50 mentioned their poor lifespan. @jmonroe1 might have something there about your approach to your tire issue.

Carnaught and @jmonroe1 Here is my thinking, I may be right, may be wrong, it won't be the first time.
    The tire shops don't carry RFTs, and they could take days to get ones in.....one said 7 days.
    My thinking was the dealer will have a way to get the right tires for this particular model.
    Also, my dealer has MB technicians who won't screw up....which might mean taking the car back to make corrections......esp with air pressure monitors etc.
    I have never had good luck with Goodyears though 30000 miles is actually pretty good.
    But, my dealer said, Mercedes only approves of Goodyear Sport and Pirelli Zeros, so I think they have some idea of what should work best.
    The MB price includes everything...balance and alignment etc., and I know it will be done right, and if it is more than the Tire shops it isn't by much.
    I know it will be done right, I know they are fast and efficient, and I will get a beautiful car wash. Also, I dropped the car off yesterday so they could get started asap......I don't feel like spending hours on the phone trying to line up particular tires and getting them done right away.....life is too short!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

We have to start somewhere. It’s not who does it first, it’s who improves on the design the best. If that didn’t happen in the past, we’d still be driving on square wheels.

jmonroe
    Yeh, that's what the guy who bought a Betta VCR said. ;)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited June 2021
    I'd like to have another i3 or a PHEV 330e to drive to work. That said, I think EVs wll be a hard sell to a lot of people until you can get 300 miles of range from a 15 minute charge AND until charging stations are much more numerous.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Now you tell me. I left the E400 at the dealers yesterday and dropped off the keys. They called this morning and gave me two choices, the same Goodyear Eagle Sports or Pirelli P-Zeros. I went with the Pirellis.....one site rated them in the top 3.....not the Goodyears.

Is there a real report on that anywhere? I'm just curious if they determined a tire was at fault. Can't tell in the video (the front tire damage was a result of hitting the wall).
    There were two tire failures in that race - both were the right rear, and both failed on the same part of the track (long straight). Pirelli did determine the cause of the failures, and made some "recommendations" for PSI adjustments to the French Grand Prix that was held yesterday.
    Probably someone left roofing nails on the track!

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Yes, it was an issue regarding the recommended PSI.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Square wheels?

lol.....see JMonroe was wrong again....we could have square wheels.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    They made VCRs for fish?

bwia said:

driver100 said:

Climate deniers are trying to solve a problem that does not exist. There are few, if any, who will drive a car coast to coast without stopping to refuel or take a refreshment break. During that brief rest stop one can top-off their battery and extend their driving range by another 150 miles or more. Problem solved.
    The one problem is that in that brief rest stop where you can get miles of range I can get 4 times that range with my Sonata. Here is another scenario, we are going to take a day trip that will pretty much cross the state and back. It's a few hours of driving, and a few hours at a destination with a repeat of that before going home. Leaving early in the AM betting back late in the evening going more miles than most EV's can do but not outside the range of a tank of gas. So with an EV I will have to stop somewhere for 20-30 minutes at least once to do this but I would not have to get gas with an ICE vehicle.
    bwia said:

Most EV owners charge their batteries overnight in their garage. So when they wake up in the morning they have 300 + miles of range that is more than adequate for commuting to and from work for an entire week. There is no need for range anxiety as that fear is more imagined than real.

Besides, there will always be ICE vehicles for those unwilling or unable to change with the times. The legacy auto manufacturers sat on their behinds for years waiting on others to do the heavy lifting. Now that EV technology is beyond the proof of concept stage they are all rushing in with grandiose plans for future electric propulsion systems.

The big issue I see now is that EV's are to expensive for the average driver unless they want to have something with a very limited range. Going used I cannot see a more affordable used one that's doesn't have so many miles that it would be losing range in a few miles requiring a hefty priced battery replacement.

I think it's going to be a long time before the vast majority of cars are EV's unless there is a major advancement in battery technology that brings down their price and removes the rare earth elements from them.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    The people I know who bought Betamax VCRs did not regret their purchase, it worked better than VHS and they enjoyed using their device for several years. Most of them did later purchase a VHS unit in order to rent movies (back when Blockbuster was the way to see movies at home). But nothing lasts forever.

Back in the early 2000's, I converted a lot of home movies from Beta and VHS and 8mm and you name it to DVD format, some for myself, many more for friends and relatives and coworkers. I recently gave away better than 100 commercial DVD movies, the ones I wanted to keep have all been ripped and saved on the computer. DVDs are dead, long live Netflix (or whatever).

The point here is, things change. And you can't live in the past, nor in the future, but you can anticipate and try to be ready.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

henryn said:

My thoughts: Things can change, dramatically, and in a short period of time. We have seen this, in our lifetimes. Think about the microprocessor, and what changes that wrought. And, oh yeah, the internet. My belief is that electric cars are coming, it is unstoppable.

Anyone who understands the internal workings of an internal combustion engine, versus that of an electric motor, already knows the inherent superiority of the electric motor.

Drive cross country in a EV vs and ICE and tell me about which one is superior. And until they can make batteries that can hold a massive charge without using rare earth elements you will never see 100% EV's.
    henryn said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of a big throaty V8 engine in a Mustang GT. But those days are numbered, you can bet on it.

Hey, just thinking about this gives me the urge to run out and buy a Mustang GT before it’s too late. But of course you can’t right now, none to be bought.

There are 18 brand new Mustang GT's for sale within 25 miles of me. What you will have to give up for one is another issue.

I don't think I will ever again drive all the way across the country. So doesn't bother me, at all. In a few years time, I expect things will be much improved for those who do want to drive cross country in an EV. Time will tell, but I really expect to see drastic improvement, in the batteries, the charging systems, every facet of the EV experience.

On the Mustang GTs for sale, you've got me there. I should have said, "for sale at a price a sane person might actually pay".

A few pictures from yesterdays cup race:

Aric Almirola reeling in Klye Busch:

Race winner Kyle Larson:

edited June 2021
    I don’t have the right personality/temperament for full EV. Maybe as a spare local car, but not our primary and travel one. But I would be perfect for a hybrid. Something like the Maverick powertrain (though it should be AWD). We do lots of local short hops during the week, so perfect to use battery power!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Square wheels?

Was that a Polish video translated to English? :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

I don’t have the right personality/temperament for full EV. Maybe as a spare local car, but not our primary and travel one. But I would be perfect for a hybrid. Something like the Maverick powertrain (though it should be AWD). We do lots of local short hops during the week, so perfect to use battery power!

I thought that too....but what if I had a trip to make today that was important and is 300 miles round trip?
    My car is in the shop getting tires, I can use MrsD100s car if I ask nicely, but if she had an EV I'd be out of luck! I'd have to plan extra carefully, and hope it was charged enough to go at least one way.....I can think of lots that could go wrong!!!!!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

I watched some of the racing from there this weekend. I liked the look of the track. Not too big, not too small. Looked like they had a fine turnout. I heard that the drivers found it slippery but that was OK by me.

Surprised by the poor back marker who lost a wheel on the first lap and hit the wall hard. You'd think that would be something that would be kind of fundamental to check. Someone else (Blaney?) seemed to take a hard lick too. Makes me wonder if they need to make some changes to the walls.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@driver100 said:
    I thought that too....but what if I had a trip to make today that was important and is 300 miles round trip?
    My car is in the shop getting tires, I can use MrsD100s car if I ask nicely, but if she had an EV I'd be out of luck! I'd have to plan extra carefully, and hope it was charged enough to go at least one way.....I can think of lots that could go wrong!!!!!

Now that you have solved your roof problems and tire problems, what’s next on your list of page-long posts about crises in your life, driver100? Dishwashers? Washer and or dryers? New car shopping? 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Now that you have solved your roof problems and tire problems, what’s next on your list of page-long posts about crises in your life, driver100? Dishwashers? Washer and or dryers? New car shopping? 🤪😜🤓

Having a bit of trouble with my Samsung cell phone, but other than that life is good. :p

Just finished watching The Firm TV Series, only got 39% on rottentomatoes but it was pretty good....too bad it didn't make it back for another season....suspense but not stupid suspense.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked Mike :p

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063
    edited June 2021
    ab348 said:

I watched some of the racing from there this weekend. I liked the look of the track. Not too big, not too small. Looked like they had a fine turnout. I heard that the drivers found it slippery but that was OK by me.

Surprised by the poor back marker who lost a wheel on the first lap and hit the wall hard. You'd think that would be something that would be kind of fundamental to check. Someone else (Blaney?) seemed to take a hard lick too. Makes me wonder if they need to make some changes to the walls.
    I’m glad to see NASCAR going back to tracks they haven’t been to in years. Hadn’t realized that it was 1984 when the top level series last raced at Nashville.

I too enjoyed the track - tired of the cookie cutter 1.5 mile courses. More road racing circuits, please!

Wouldn’t mind seeing either the truck or Nationwide series come back to PPIR, which is a 1 mile track about an hour south of me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

henryn said:

henryn said:

henryn said:

I don't think I will ever again drive all the way across the country. So doesn't bother me, at all. In a few years time, I expect things will be much improved for those who do want to drive cross country in an EV. Time will tell, but I really expect to see drastic improvement, in the batteries, the charging systems, every facet of the EV experience.

On the Mustang GTs for sale, you've got me there. I should have said, "for sale at a price a sane person might actually pay".

Please define a "price a sane person might actually pay".

stickguy said:

If I get the Maverick it would either be the non hybrid one or wait to see how the hybrid powertrain does over the first few years. AWD is available in the non hybrid model.

@driver100 said:
    Having a bit of trouble with my Samsung cell phone, but other than that life is good. :p

Just finished watching The Firm TV Series, only got 39% on rottentomatoes but it was pretty good....too bad it didn't make it back for another season....suspense but not stupid suspense.

I knew it would evoke another post - Samsung cell phone problems, eh? 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited June 2021

@snakeweasel said:

Your asking a request to define a price a “sane” person would pay - you are asking the wrong question on this site - no one is sane enough to figure that one out - not here! 🤪😜🤓. We’re all car nuts so we would consider anything if the car fits the need!

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

@driver100, proceed with caution - I was not crazy about the ride and noise from the Pirellis I had on my GLC plus @oldfarmer50 mentioned their poor lifespan. @jmonroe1 might have something there about your approach to your tire issue.

Carnaught and @jmonroe1 Here is my thinking, I may be right, may be wrong, it won't be the first time.
    The tire shops don't carry RFTs, and they could take days to get ones in.....one said 7 days.
    My thinking was the dealer will have a way to get the right tires for this particular model.
    Also, my dealer has MB technicians who won't screw up....which might mean taking the car back to make corrections......esp with air pressure monitors etc.
    I have never had good luck with Goodyears though 30000 miles is actually pretty good.
    But, my dealer said, Mercedes only approves of Goodyear Sport and Pirelli Zeros, so I think they have some idea of what should work best.
    The MB price includes everything...balance and alignment etc., and I know it will be done right, and if it is more than the Tire shops it isn't by much.
    I know it will be done right, I know they are fast and efficient, and I will get a beautiful car wash. Also, I dropped the car off yesterday so they could get started asap......I don't feel like spending hours on the phone trying to line up particular tires and getting them done right away.....life is too short!
    Again, if I thought there were better tires out there I’d get them. It’s not like you’re stranded on the road a 12 midnight. Plus you have another car that you can use while you wait a day or two or three.

You might be the only one who doesn’t think dealers screw up. Personally, I’d go with a trusted tire shop that installs tires all day long rather than a dealer who does it occasionally by comparison.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @abacomike, good to see you posting again. Did you ever mention the decision by the surgeon on whether to operate? If you did, I missed it.
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Probably someone left roofing nails on the track!
    Probably your roofer.

jmonroe

@henryn said:
    @abacomike, good to see you posting again. Did you ever mention the decision by the surgeon on whether to operate? If you did, I missed it.

Yes - the surgeon recommended a laminectomy at L3-L4. Not an intricate procedure but if it corrects the disc problem, I would seriously consider it. Still recovering at home from a fall I took Saturday - left arm severely bruised - trying to get to doctor’s office by 2:00 PM so they can dress the wound. Will probably need antibiotics to preclude an infection.

Just one more day in the life of…! 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    If you ask a surgeon, they're going to say 'Operate'. It's what they do.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

No, I am. :'(

jmonroe
    abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

Your asking a request to define a price a “sane” person would pay - you are asking the wrong question on this site - no one is sane enough to figure that one out - not here! 🤪😜🤓. We’re all car nuts so we would consider anything if the car fits the need!

Mike is undoubtedly correct (he usually is), but I will still provide my opinion of "price a sane person might actually pay". My answer: In no case more than MSRP. No dealer add-ons, no mop-n-glow, no add on surcharges. MSRP, plus sales tax, plus a reasonable doc fee.

Around here, such a deal cannot be found on a Mustang GT, or a new Ford or Chevy pickup. There are very few available, and every single one is going above MSRP. YMMV.

If you ask a surgeon, they're going to say 'Operate'. It's what they do.

I realize that you're being a bit ... what should I say, you're joking? But I would point out that what you're saying is not accurate, not based on my real life experiences.

Mike, if I were you I would get a second opinion, and if the second opinion agrees, then go for it.

@henryn said:
    I realize that you're being a bit ... what should I say, you're joking? But I would point out that what you're saying is not accurate, not based on my real life experiences.

Mike, if I were you I would get a second opinion, and if the second opinion agrees, then go for it.

Already did - neurosurgeon agreed with the orthopedic surgeon.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@henryn said:

Already did - neurosurgeon agreed with the orthopedic surgeon.

You never asked any of us and we’ve pulled you through some doozies.

jmonroe
    henryn said:

abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

Mike is undoubtedly correct (he usually is), but I will still provide my opinion of "price a sane person might actually pay". My answer: In no case more than MSRP. No dealer add-ons, no mop-n-glow, no add on surcharges. MSRP, plus sales tax, plus a reasonable doc fee.

Around here, such a deal cannot be found on a Mustang GT, or a new Ford or Chevy pickup. There are very few available, and every single one is going above MSRP. YMMV.

OK, I checked the first Stang on the list that came up. A GT coup Premium with the 5.0 liter TI-VCT V8 with a 10 speed Auto in Race Red and a sticker price of $47,600, it's listed on the web for sticker. What they may spring when you walk in the door is anyones guess. but it does look like they are all going for sticker.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850

@henryn said:
    The people I know who bought Betamax VCRs did not regret their purchase, it worked better than VHS and they enjoyed using their device for several years. Most of them did later purchase a VHS unit in order to rent movies (back when Blockbuster was the way to see movies at home). But nothing lasts forever.

Back in the early 2000's, I converted a lot of home movies from Beta and VHS and 8mm and you name it to DVD format, some for myself, many more for friends and relatives and coworkers. I recently gave away better than 100 commercial DVD movies, the ones I wanted to keep have all been ripped and saved on the computer. DVDs are dead, long live Netflix (or whatever).

The point here is, things change. And you can't live in the past, nor in the future, but you can anticipate and try to be ready.

Yeah DVD is more or less dead, but BluRay is still going strong. Streaming services offer very good quality but there is a significant difference with a Blu-ray Disc especially if you have a dedicated system for movies.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    @henryn,
    One of my BIL's is a doctor and that's what he told me. :s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    abacomike said:

@henryn said:

Yes - the surgeon recommended a laminectomy at L3-L4. Not an intricate procedure but if it corrects the disc problem, I would seriously consider it. Still recovering at home from a fall I took Saturday - left arm severely bruised - trying to get to doctor’s office by 2:00 PM so they can dress the wound. Will probably need antibiotics to preclude an infection.

Just one more day in the life of…! 🤓

At least with me it is usually inanimate objects that breakdown. :)

They said my car would be ready late this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
    They called at 2 p.m. that the car was ready. It was washed on the outside and cleaned on the inside...great job.
    The tires ride very nicely, they feel much better than the Goodyears....nicer steering and smoother riding.
    Your point is well taken JMonroe about a dealer specializing in replacing tires....but Mercedes technicians are well trained and they know what a Mercedes needs....and things like the air pressure monitor should be hooked up correctly.
    Also, they are great looking tires....nice design;

Once again my MB dealer didn't overcharge.......their price was a few dollars less than the dealers online price. And no fooling around, they gave me a total price on the phone, tires, balance and alignment.

edited June 2021

henryn said:

abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

OK, I checked the first Stang on the list that came up. A GT coup Premium with the 5.0 liter TI-VCT V8 with a 10 speed Auto in Race Red and a sticker price of $47,600, it's listed on the web for sticker. What they may spring when you walk in the door is anyones guess. but it does look like they are all going for sticker.

In my experience, which is pretty wide and goes back a long way, dealers NEVER talk about the mop-n-glo or nitrogen filled tires or any other such nonsense in their online ads. There is always fine print which says the advertised price does not include dealer add ons. Check it for yourself.

You do love to correct people, but this time it is you who's got it wrong.

henryn said:

henryn said:

abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

In my experience, which is pretty wide and goes back a long way, dealers NEVER talk about the mop-n-glo or nitrogen filled tires or any other such nonsense in their online ads. There is always fine print which says the advertised price does not include dealer add ons. Check it for yourself.

I did state that what they spring on you is anyones guess and I cannot vouch for many of the dealerships but one I do know and I know they are not known for dealer add ons.

Speaking of which I wanted to burn a little bit of time and I was close to a dealership that I have done business with and trusted so I went to look at SUV's/CUV's as my wife wants to replace the Sonata with one after we pay off the BMW. However this dealership was sold a few years ago and is operating under a different name. The new ownership doesn't get good reviews. Anyway you should see the dealer add ons they had on all the cars. One year of key replacement insurance, one year of dent and ding repair, one year of windshield nick repair, floor mats and an app based anti theft thing. All in all it totaled around $2,500. The first three I see no real value in them, the mats I could better for less than half and the last I could get it for a lot less than what they were asking.

henryn said:

henryn said:

abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

I did state that what they spring on you is anyones guess and I cannot vouch for many of the dealerships but one I do know and I know they are not known for dealer add ons.

Speaking of which I wanted to burn a little bit of time and I was close to a dealership that I have done business with and trusted so I went to look at SUV's/CUV's as my wife wants to replace the Sonata with one after we pay off the BMW. However this dealership was sold a few years ago and is operating under a different name. The new ownership doesn't get good reviews. Anyway you should see the dealer add ons they had on all the cars. One year of key replacement insurance, one year of dent and ding repair, one year of windshield nick repair, floor mats and an app based anti theft thing. All in all it totaled around $2,500. The first three I see no real value in them, the mats I could better for less than half and the last I could get it for a lot less than what they were asking.

If you were @andres3 that key thingy wouldn’t be such a bad deal.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited June 2021
    Never mind.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

A friend sent me a Scotty video about what he thinks about EVs. He is saying what my gut feelings tell me. I know what you think about Scotty but sometimes he has good common sense, and he is a bright guy, in spite of the way he talks. The video is 10 minutes but the EV part is in the first 5 minutes...well worth watching!
    https://youtu.be/kua9I49rcCQ

A lot of virtue signaling shot to heck.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

“ Drive cross country in a EV vs and ICE and tell me about which one is superior. And until they can make batteries that can hold a massive charge without using rare earth elements you will never see 100% EV's.”

Better yet, try spending the weekend off roading in the mountains miles from electric outlets.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

carnaught said:

Again, if I thought there were better tires out there I’d get them. It’s not like you’re stranded on the road a 12 midnight. Plus you have another car that you can use while you wait a day or two or three.

You might be the only one who doesn’t think dealers screw up. Personally, I’d go with a trusted tire shop that installs tires all day long rather than a dealer who does it occasionally by comparison.

jmonroe
    My neighbor said dealers sell parts such as tires for the same price as the chains and indies these days, they know people can go online and compare.
    I had tennis this afternoon and I am playing tomorrow morning......but I have to coordinate with MrsD100, I used her GLK this afternoon, but she needs it tomorrow. The GLK rides nice, it has almost the same engine, 330 hp and it is really solid. Great seating position too.
    My neighbour had his indie friends garage put on tires for him once, since the tires cost almost the same no savings there, labor was less.....after driving a few 1000 miles he noticed they installed them going the wrong way! No, I trust the dealer.