Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dealership Fee Added to Payoff Quote... Rip Off?

Jim_B_73Jim_B_73 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2021 in Nissan
Hi,

Newbie here, my apologies if this post isn't in the right spot.

I'll try to keep this short, and add details if needed: Is $1,400 a reasonable dealership fee to be added to a lease buyout price? The payoff quote given to me by Nissan Finance was $14,966.... and I was stunned when the ACTUAL amount I would need to pay the dealership was $18,500. Taxes, $300 purchase option fee, maybe a few miscellaneous fees, I get those. But the $1,400 dealership fee seemed excessive to me, and they wont negotiate it down. The dealership is in Long Island, NY, if that makes a difference.

Side note - I normally wouldn't consider buying, as I know nothing about cars, and prefer to always drive something under warranty..... but lease prices are outrageous given the state of the car industry right now. I only have 14K miles on this Rogue, and I figured I'd drive it for another year or two and then possibly be able to sell it for a few thousand dollar profit. Depreciation schedule of Rogue seems to bear that out.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    Jim_B_73 said:

Hi,

Newbie here, my apologies if this post isn't in the right spot.

I'll try to keep this short, and add details if needed: Is $1,400 a reasonable dealership fee to be added to a lease buyout price? The payoff quote given to me by Nissan Finance was $14,966.... and I was stunned when the ACTUAL amount I would need to pay the dealership was $18,500. Taxes, $300 purchase option fee, maybe a few miscellaneous fees, I get those. But the $1,400 dealership fee seemed excessive to me, and they wont negotiate it down. The dealership is in Long Island, NY, if that makes a difference.

Side note - I normally wouldn't consider buying, as I know nothing about cars, and prefer to always drive something under warranty..... but lease prices are outrageous given the state of the car industry right now. I only have 14K miles on this Rogue, and I figured I'd drive it for another year or two and then possibly be able to sell it for a few thousand dollar profit. Depreciation schedule of Rogue seems to bear that out.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Does NMAC require you to go through the dealer to purchase the vehicle? Or, can you purchase directly from NMAC?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Jim_B_73Jim_B_73 Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I have to go through the dealer.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196
    Jim_B_73 said:

Unfortunately, I have to go through the dealer.

That sucks. You might check with other Nissan dealers, to see if you can get a better deal.

Doesn't seem like NMAC is living up to the contract, but not a lot you can do about it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Laura428smithLaura428smith Member Posts: 1

Call the finance company. I went through the exact same thing. The Nissan dealer was horrible. Added on 2,000 to buy my lease. That fee was not in my lease end agreement! I left. Nissan consumer affairs wasn’t very helpful either. But the finance end allowed me to buy it through an outside bank with NO additional fees. Even credited the $300 fee on the contract.