Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I wonder if it is more grime than rust, but some of the trim/cosmetics on that car leads me to believe it sat outside for some time, and Japan can be a rust haven. It wouldn't be a good flip if it wasn't done half-arsed,
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

Definitely rust. Could be just surface rust, but tough to tell from just pics.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That looks like the kind of surface rust that happens in my region if a car sits outside for 40 years, but who knows what lurks underneath. I also wonder on a lot of this JDM material, if the cars we see are the rejects - Japanese people like vintage cars too, and I have some doubts the best examples are being exported where some hipster flipper can sell at a relatively affordable price and still make a good profit.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    What's with the Delorean? $1800?? That's even odder than the Montego.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Delorean ad might be a scam or might actually have an $18k asking price but it's stuck in facebook's annoying car valuation filter that won't let sellers post a higher price than facebook allows for a car from that era.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@boomchek said:
    Delorean ad might be a scam or might actually have an $18k asking price but it's stuck in facebook's annoying car valuation filter that won't let sellers post a higher price than facebook allows for a car from that era.

I was thinking 18K.

Also welcome back!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    fintail said:
    That strip was a lot of here yesterday gone today lots
    tjc78 said:

@boomchek said:

I was thinking 18K.

Also welcome back!

Thanks. Back for a bit, maybe for longer. As I mentioned in other chats, I've just been busy with work, 2 kids, and life in general. Always nice to see same names here from years ago.

We are all as crazy as ever!

Welcome back, been awhile!

Yeah, I bet fb's moronic filter is part of it. That Delorean looks pretty pristine, even at 18K it'd be a deal.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

Welcome back, been awhile!

Yeah, I bet fb's moronic filter is part of it. That Delorean looks pretty pristine, even at 18K it'd be a deal.

boomchek said:

Thanks, it's been a few years. Yeah I despise facebook's marketplace with a passion. Filters suck, photo cropping sucks, half of the listings are sponsored ads that are outside of set search parameters. Craigslist is still my number one platform for browsing.

I think it was a scam, a complaint about that dealer with the$1,800 Delorean as the source of the problem.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The '58 T-bird is interesting. If he addressed the body issues he couldn't tout the original paint so much, but I agree it would be good to have the seats redone. I can relate to not wanting to spend money on a car you are planning to sell though. Maybe an aggressive bid would get it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Absurd price on the RX7. Seller must think it is a mint GSL-SE with manual trans.

$10k for that Vista Cruiser? HUH? Extra zero there, methinks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The 79 Pickup is a good deal, isn’t it?

I didn't see it. Is that the ad that was deleted?

Yeah it’s gone now.

It was a decent squarebody for something like 5K. If the seller was honest, and he didn't appear to be dodgy, it was a fine deal. It had some upgrades, didn't look rusty (it takes a long time for cars here to rust), paint looked good, etc.

re: the T-Bird, I think if the seller isn't going to touch the needs, he needs to be well on the lower side of 15K, maybe a third off his asking price, at most.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    I can't see a Vista cruiser and not think of Red Forman.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I suspect the Red Forman connection doesn't hurt values either, an entire generation knows that show and the car.

Had the old dear out in the smoky/hazy heat yesterday - the car was back in the garage by 1pm, it seems I have less of a tolerance for being in the hot car as I get older, really need to keep moving to make it tolerable, drive with multiple windows down, etc - didn't bug me when I was younger (maybe hotter now, too). Ran fine with no issues, at the gas station a guy really wanted to talk about the car, and got a few waves and thumbs up. Gratuitous pic as it has been awhile:

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

I can't see a Vista cruiser and not think of Red Forman.

Our neighbors had a Vista Cruiser in the identical metallic brown as what was on the show. I rode in it several times. They bought it new. It was the same color as mom’s 69 Olds 98 LS.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Looks nice Fintail! Have you had to do much maintenance or repair work on it over the years you had it?

Thanks. The needs come and go, every few years it seems to want attention for something, but has generally been very reliable. Worst incident is when a piston ring broke, which was quite a job to eventually repair - but thinking about it, that was 24 years ago, so it owes me nothing. This year I am going to have car gone over and have some things replaced, maybe some suspension bushings, engine mounts, etc.
    boomchek said:

Looks nice Fintail! Have you had to do much maintenance or repair work on it over the years you had it?

fintail said:

Thanks. The needs come and go, every few years it seems to want attention for something, but has generally been very reliable. Worst incident is when a piston ring broke, which was quite a job to eventually repair - but thinking about it, that was 24 years ago, so it owes me nothing. This year I am going to have car gone over and have some things replaced, maybe some suspension bushings, engine mounts, etc.

boomchek said:

That's great. The sad thing is that 30-50 years from now fixing up cars from today's era and keeping them on the road won't be so simple due to the electronics and miles of wiring harnesses to deal with, not to mention sensors, programs and all the other electrical gremlins that will accompany them.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    fintail said:

Gratuitous pic as it has been awhile:

Define "a while." :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Weeks! B)
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Gratuitous pic as it has been awhile:

Define "a while." :D
    The only saving grace for modern cars is that you can plug a computer into them and the car will tell you many of its ailments. Otherwise like you say, all of the screens and sensors and computers and bleeding edge tech will prevent most modern cars from approaching 50 years old, even if gasoline engines are still in use at that point in time. Add to that how easy it is to total a modern car, and we'll have low survival rates after that 30 year mark.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

boomchek said:

That's great. The sad thing is that 30-50 years from now fixing up cars from today's era and keeping them on the road won't be so simple due to the electronics and miles of wiring harnesses to deal with, not to mention sensors, programs and all the other electrical gremlins that will accompany them.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

The only saving grace for modern cars is that you can plug a computer into them and the car will tell you many of its ailments. Otherwise like you say, all of the screens and sensors and computers and bleeding edge tech will prevent most modern cars from approaching 50 years old, even if gasoline engines are still in use at that point in time. Add to that how easy it is to total a modern car, and we'll have low survival rates after that 30 year mark.

boomchek said:

fintail said:

boomchek said:

Might modern cars survive for prolonged years in "half-working" state? IT has been said 90% of AWD Volvo's go/limp around in 2WD mode.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I think some already are, yeah. Older MBs can soldier on through a lot of neglect, with complex features not working, but the car still runs and drives.
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

boomchek said:

fintail said:

boomchek said:

Might modern cars survive for prolonged years in "half-working" state? IT has been said 90% of AWD Volvo's go/limp around in 2WD mode.
    Crazy project, guy is putting a fintail body (may be more hipster patina than serious rust, as the sills etc look OK) on a 300CE platform:

Spot here concerns me, especially given its location. Could have easily been fixed before dropping it on the car. No idea why someone wouldn't if going through all this trouble.

Crazy project. Surprised wheelbase is about the same.

I was thinking some of the panels look kind of doubled up, maybe if there is something weak on the fintail part, the part on the new chassis would compensate.

Not sure what would possess someone to embark on this project - seems like a lot of work, but I suppose of the underside of the fintail was rotten, and the newer car was wrecked or something, it could work, if one loved both cars.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Maybe that's just a test fit, before he does the body/frame work?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@ab348 Has the Cutlass left the stable? Any last pictures?

sda said:

@ab348 Has the Cutlass left the stable? Any last pictures?

I have had the money for a couple of weeks but they do not seem to be in a big hurry to get it shipped. I needed a few days to get all the stuff that goes with it packed up but that has been done for a while now. I called the shipping agent on Tuesday to try to get them moving and she said someone local to me here would call this week, but nothing so far. I want it gone because I hate the idea of having it here when I no longer own it.

Had the old car out today, coolest day in weeks, only in the low-mid 80s tops, I was only a bit warm rather than dying of heat exhaustion. No issues with the car, and it was fun to know the horn works. Lots of stupid people out today, and it can be amusing giving them a little blast, as old MB horns are much louder than those on most modern cars - people look from a block away.

Something I've noticed, cruising around town at <50, I get none of the blowby residue that accumulates under the dipstick hole at highway speeds. That's another issue I am going to have looked at when the car goes in for its annual service and a few repairs (maybe next month).
    For the blow by, does it have a PCV valve? I imagine it doesn’t.

Nope, although there's some kind of crankcase pressure/ventilation part that can go awry. The car isn't consuming too much oil, so I like to hope there's nothing seriously amiss - but the oil that accumulates under the dipstick at high speeds bugs me. I've also wondered if maybe the dipstick isn't seating properly, itself.
    sda said:

For the blow by, does it have a PCV valve? I imagine it doesn’t.

edited August 2021

Now how exactly do they know the Imperial “drives great” when it doesn’t have seats?

Justy looks clean.

On the Toyota… those wheels! Good grief. Brake light seems to be stuck on since parking brake does not appear to be engaged. But, even with those, I agree it seems to be a bargain.

Re: the Plymouth - what the heck? How? Why?
    Hyundai must have copied that Plymouth when they came up with the Veloster.

That Lincoln bubble top is sort of fun, but I'd worry about all the oil bottles in the trunk.

Re: the XJS - I guess that would be the model to have, with the 6 instead of the V12.
    edited August 2021
    Lincoln is a 78. Nice shape and yes you almost never see the fixed panel moonroof.

Same colors as my 79 Coupe was.

That car was certainly a special order, very rare to have the Town Car option and no opera windows.