Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Would This Be a Model A?

DigiKentDigiKent Member Posts: 9
edited July 2021 in Ford
Picture taken about 1916

Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Answer ✓
    No Model A at that time, looks like a Model T.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    Yes, a Model T, and kind of interesting. Plate indicates 1916, which matches some details, but I think the car was also modified. The car has 1916 style fenders, but 1917 style hood and modified looking radiator shell. 1917 was the year the car changed from a brass radiator to steel.

1916:

1917:

I wonder if it was changed to look newer, or if someone wanted the prior style fenders.

Answers

• DigiKentDigiKent Member Posts: 9
    Thanks
    Interesting observation. Do you suppose Ford changed the hood and radiator shell to the new style late in the 1916 model year?
    edited July 2021
    That could be the case. In those days, changes didn't follow a strict model year schedule, rather, I think took place when designs were updated and parts became available, so there could be "in-between" cars. The owner could have also done it himself, maybe he got a deal on a late run 16 model and for a fair price, got the updated parts.

I also notice the car in the old pic has a radiator shell that appears modified in the top section - this was common at the time, as although the Model T was a durable useful car, it was cheap, and eventually had an image as kind of an unrefined car, so people would try to disguise it - there were plenty of accessories to dress up these cars.
    DigiKent said:

Interesting observation. Do you suppose Ford changed the hood and radiator shell to the new style late in the 1916 model year?

Despite whatever modifications were made, my great uncle is still having to add water to the radiator. I wonder if he had to carry it in the car in the metal bucket?

Before antifreeze adding water was common.

I suspect old cooling systems were far from water/air tight, and needed frequent replenishment. Also a good chance of damaging components on the road quality of that era, probably wasn't uncommon to nurse along a small leak until a replacement part came along.
    As best I can tell, the first pressurized cooling systems were in the early '50s, so up until then any cooling system could boil out water that needed to be replaced, probably frequently in hot weather.
    Good point. Thanks for the extra research!