Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oil Consumption Problem Warranty Engine Replacement

JeanieRNJeanieRN Member Posts: 2
edited May 2021 in Hyundai

We have been fighting the Hyundai service Dept at dealership to get the engine replaced for our 2015 Sonata we bought new. Only 70,000 miles and needs oil replacement every few days. At first they said our maintenance records weren’t sufficient, then we obtained more receipts and records to update. It needs new engine due to oil consumption problem (common in this model & year it seems) and they won’t cover. After we wrote numerous letters to corporate, and a local consumer reporter from television wants to interview us about Hyundai not honoring “America’s Best Warranty”, they want to speak with us again. They will probably just want us to sign a nondisclosure agreement, but any info anyone can suggest that I have before going to meeting tomorrow morning?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I doubt you are going to get any legal advice in a car forum.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    JeanieRNJeanieRN Member Posts: 2

Not legal, just wondering what they usually do..offer oil consumption test only, then deny again, offer used engine only, etc

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    JeanieRN said:

Not legal, just wondering what they usually do..offer oil consumption test only, then deny again, offer used engine only, etc

My guess? Deny, deny, deny

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Some engine problems such as excessive oil consumption are a problem with the design or just happen with nothing directly to blame, those should be warrantable. Some engine problems are the direct result of improper maintenance, those when it happens should not be. Trying to figure out which is the case in any single event often comes down to the owners ability to provide records which is something that at least to Hyundai appears to be a problem this time. Looking at the maintenance chart and depending on your driving style you should have had as many as twenty-three oil changes, or as few as ten. Logically you should fall somewhere between those two numbers, the challenge is to figure out where. At 70, 000 miles in six years you are just under 12,000 miles a year. How many times per day would you say you start the car and drive it? How far is the most common distance it is driven before it is parked again? The reason I ask is because the shorter the distance of each average trip, the closer to the severe side of the maintenance schedule (the 23 services) you get. If the car is driven fewer times per week and travels a longer distance you get closer to the "normal" side (ten services).

Considering what the requirements are how many services were you able to provide documentation for?

The other thing that is important is and be very specific on this is: What oil was used for each service?
  • Options
    Cessna170BCessna170B Member Posts: 4

My 2011 Sonata began losing oil at 67,000 miles. I changed the PCV valve and the consumption stopped.

A clogged/failed PCV will cause blowby where the oil is routed into the combustion chamber, causing the oil loss.

Hyundai does not have a recommended PCV replacement interval. My experience with three Hyundais and previous Fords indicate the PCV begins to fail at 70,000 miles. I monitor several forums and it seems the 2.4 Theta II begins to have oil consumption priblems at about that mileage.

I wonder if many of the engine failures were triggered by PCV problems leading to severe oil loss.

• Options
    Fosgate87Fosgate87 Member Posts: 6
    oil replacement every few days? Please give us the amount in quarts and the time. I have had a few vehicles with bad engine designs I guess because others did not have that issue for the same make/year/model but it would burn a quart every month and a half or so, how is it burning a quart or more in a few days? (Less than 7 excluding a leak?)

not disputing what you are saying, just would like more info as this is an ongoing problem/pattern with many makes and models with no rhyme or reason. thanks.