Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Another oldie but goody was bloV8er, a Cadillac guy. Best handle ever.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    edited July 2021

@qbrozen said:
    I don't recall tagman.

Since I’m a relative newbie I don’t remember any of them. Must have been quite a place in here back then.

I do remember the guy that was a dealer but I can’t remember his name. He left soon after I got here. That has to be a coincidence.

EDIT: I just remembered. I’m almost positive his name was Terry.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I think the cash bail system might be because many judges aren't as possibly well-meaning as you, and the system has been abused along socio-economic lines. Lots of problems out there More of that wonderful criminal justice system that produces world-beating crime and incarceration stats. Oh wait.

As for bail, the big progressive push is to eliminate cash bail, which is a big mistake in my opinion. I only request cash bail if the defendant has a history of not appearing for court and or they are charged with a violent offense. In Louisville The Bail Project posts cash bonds so that poor misunderstood defendants like rapists, murderers and drug traffickers can continue their mayhem. In the space of a couple of months they posted $5,000 cash bonds for two defendants from my county who had absconded from probation. To no one's surprise, they disappeared. I made motions to forfeit their bonds and consequently The Bail Project lost $10,000. Since then they have not posted any more bonds for defendants being held on warrants from my county.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@qbrozen said:
    I don't recall tagman.

I don’t recall “me”!😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    qbrozen said:

I don't recall tagman.

The popular board years ago was the Luxury Performance Sedans, or something like that. There was also a frequent poster, Mercedes enthusiast, Merc1, who is now very active on the German CarForums. He used to lead the Mercedes/BMW side against Lexus’s, the “appliance” group.
    Pat was the moderator, and didn’t take any crap…some called her “sheriff Pat”. Unfortunately, she passed away.

@abacomike said:

@qbrozen said:
    I don't recall tagman.

I don’t recall “me”!😜🤪🤓

Been at the free booze again, huh?

B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

@qbrozen said:
    I don't recall tagman.

I don’t recall “me”!😜🤪🤓

B)

jmonroe

No, just getting - um, gee, whatchamcallit, doohickey, - shucks, I forgot! 😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

@abacomike said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@abacomike said:

@qbrozen said:
    I don't recall tagman.

I don’t recall “me”!😜🤪🤓

B)

jmonroe

No, just getting - um, gee, whatchamcallit, doohickey, - shucks, I forgot! 😜🤪🤓

Say no more. We understand. I’m just jealous I didn’t get an invite.

Now back to your regularly scheduled fun. :D

jmonroe

@roadburner said:
    Case Number One- A lot would depend on the guy's prior record-if any. As a prosecutor I make the final call, but I always listen to what the police and/or victims want to see happen- and try to accommodate their wishes- within reason. He'd definitely have to pay restitution for any damages and at a minimum I'd want to hang five years over his head, probated for five years. Unlike larger offices, I handle probation revocations 99.9% of the time, so I remember defendants if they show up there. If he insisted on going to trial I'd seek the maximum sentence possible - there has to be an incentive to take a plea bargain.

Case Number Two- Unless it's a minor drug possession case I'm not at all sympathetic to repeat offenders; I'd want him to serve time and pay the highest fine possible.

As for bail, the big progressive push is to eliminate cash bail, which is a big mistake in my opinion. I only request cash bail if the defendant has a history of not appearing for court and or they are charged with a violent offense. In Louisville The Bail Project posts cash bonds so that poor misunderstood defendants like rapists, murderers and drug traffickers can continue their mayhem. In the space of a couple of months they posted $5,000 cash bonds for two defendants from my county who had absconded from probation. To no one's surprise, they disappeared. I made motions to forfeit their bonds and consequently The Bail Project lost $10,000. Since then they have not posted any more bonds for defendants being held on warrants from my county.

I missed this post:

You’re a real meany.

jmonroe

Had a horrible experience yesterday. Took my car in for a car wash at the dealership at about 10:30 AM. Put the key in the cup holder (which I always do) and gave the valet boy a $5.00 tip. Told him the key is in the cup holder. Half hour later, he brings me the car and I drive up to the mall in Boca Raton to meet my friends. I park in the Bloomingdales parking garage, open my door and turned off the engine. I reach into my cup holder on my console and there is no key. I try to restart the engine to make sure the key is somewhere in the car but it doesn’t start. It gives me an error message - “no key detected!”.

I then got a cold, jittery jolt down my spine as I assumed the kid forgot to give me my key fob or he forgot to replace it into the cup holder. So there I am, marooned in Boca Raton and no key. I couldn’t even lock the car for some reason - even with the mobile APP I have to remotely lock/unlock the doors.

So I call the Genesis concierge to tell him the situation. He calls me back on my cell and tells me the kid said he never moved or touched the key. He further stated that he reviewed the security footage and it show me taking the key from the kid and driving off. I said there is something wrong with your security cameras because the kid never gave me the key. It probably shows me shaking his hand to thank him for doing a great job on the car, but I never got a key from him - I just assumed he left the key in the cup holder.

He told me to go shopping and he would search everywhere for my key. I hang up and call my friend who was just arriving at Bloomingdales with his car. I told him my predicament and he parked his car and came over to my car. He is a retired NYC police detective so he begins to try and solve the lost key problem the same way he approached solving murders in NYC - a meticulous search of the interior of my car - similar to the logic Captain Quig used to solve the missing strawberries in the “Caine Mutiny”! He said that if we can’t find the key, he would drive me home to get my backup key fob and drive back to get my car.

First he wanted me to try to start the car, which of course did not work. So he begins to search under the front driver’s seat, which I told him was a waste of time because if the key fob was inside the car, the car’s sensors would detect the key. But he continues anyway as I lean over him to see if I could assist in anyway.

As I leaned over, I notice something in the interior of the door handle that I use to pull the door closed after I enter the car. It looks like buttons or something I’ve never seen in that handle before. I put my fingers in the handle and low and behold, it’s the key fob!

Why didn’t the car’s sensors detect the key? Because I left the driver’s door open throughout this frustrating process because of the extreme heat - thus the key fob was “outside” the car, not inside the car. But when I closed the door to try and lock it, it wouldn’t lock because it detected the key once the door was closed.

So I call the Genesis concierge who said he “saw” the kid give me the key on his security cameras, which was incorrect - it was just a handshake, and told him where I found the key fob. The kid had obviously lied about not touching or moving the key fob because who on God’s green earth would put a key fob in the driver’s handle and expect anyone to figure out where it was?

In conclusion, if my friend had not bent over to look under my driver’s seat I would not have leaned over to assist and by sheer circumstance eye the key fob in the door handle. Further, if I had closed the driver’s door and then tried to start the car, the car would have started alerting me to the fact that the key was somewhere in the car.

Long story, but a good moral - if you lose your key fob, first close the door and then try to start the car. The fob might be in the door handle! Ugh!!!😜🤪🤓

Just another day in the life of abacomike!😇

2021 Genesis G90

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited July 2021
    We just returned from a few weeks up in Wisconsin. I've been catching up and noticed the posts regarding rentals and Jeeps :) I had four rentals reserved as I was told it would be hard to secure a Suburban/Yukon XL. We like to rent the bigger vehicles for the room and less wear and tear on our cars. Anyway, two of the three called and canceled the reservations because they simply couldn't fulfill the request. The day before we left my two options were a Tahoe and a new Suburban, so we lucked out, although we paid dearly for it. So on our journey to and from, I noticed quite a few RVs with vehicles in tow, mainly 4-door Jeeps, just thought that was interesting. I'm wondering if they unhook the odometer while in tow or just rack up the miles? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited July 2021

@abacomike said:
    Had a horrible experience yesterday. Took my car in for a car wash at the dealership at about 10:30 AM. Put the key in the cup holder (which I always do) and gave the valet boy a $5.00 tip. Told him the key is in the cup holder. Half hour later, he brings me the car and I drive up to the mall in Boca Raton to meet my friends. I park in the Bloomingdales parking garage, open my door and turned off the engine. I reach into my cup holder on my console and there is no key. I try to restart the engine to make sure the key is somewhere in the car but it doesn’t start. It gives me an error message - “no key detected!”.

I then got a cold, jittery jolt down my spine as I assumed the kid forgot to give me my key fob or he forgot to replace it into the cup holder. So there I am, marooned in Boca Raton and no key. I couldn’t even lock the car for some reason - even with the mobile APP I have to remotely lock/unlock the doors.

So I call the Genesis concierge to tell him the situation. He calls me back on my cell and tells me the kid said he never moved or touched the key. He further stated that he reviewed the security footage and it show me taking the key from the kid and driving off. I said there is something wrong with your security cameras because the kid never gave me the key. It probably shows me shaking his hand to thank him for doing a great job on the car, but I never got a key from him - I just assumed he left the key in the cup holder.

He told me to go shopping and he would search everywhere for my key. I hang up and call my friend who was just arriving at Bloomingdales with his car. I told him my predicament and he parked his car and came over to my car. He is a retired NYC police detective so he begins to try and solve the lost key problem the same way he approached solving murders in NYC - a meticulous search of the interior of my car - similar to the logic Captain Quig used to solve the missing strawberries in the “Caine Mutiny”! He said that if we can’t find the key, he would drive me home to get my backup key fob and drive back to get my car.

First he wanted me to try to start the car, which of course did not work. So he begins to search under the front driver’s seat, which I told him was a waste of time because if the key fob was inside the car, the car’s sensors would detect the key. But he continues anyway as I lean over him to see if I could assist in anyway.

As I leaned over, I notice something in the interior of the door handle that I use to pull the door closed after I enter the car. It looks like buttons or something I’ve never seen in that handle before. I put my fingers in the handle and low and behold, it’s the key fob!

Why didn’t the car’s sensors detect the key? Because I left the driver’s door open throughout this frustrating process because of the extreme heat - thus the key fob was “outside” the car, not inside the car. But when I closed the door to try and lock it, it wouldn’t lock because it detected the key once the door was closed.

So I call the Genesis concierge who said he “saw” the kid give me the key on his security cameras, which was incorrect - it was just a handshake, and told him where I found the key fob. The kid had obviously lied about not touching or moving the key fob because who on God’s green earth would put a key fob in the driver’s handle and expect anyone to figure out where it was?

In conclusion, if my friend had not bent over to look under my driver’s seat I would not have leaned over to assist and by sheer circumstance eye the key fob in the door handle. Further, if I had closed the driver’s door and then tried to start the car, the car would have started alerting me to the fact that the key was somewhere in the car.

Long story, but a good moral - if you lose your key fob, first close the door and then try to start the car. The fob might be in the door handle! Ugh!!!😜🤪🤓

That’s why you didn’t get a message while driving that your key fob wasn’t in the car.

If you drive away without the fob every car
    I’ve owned with keyless will constantly remind you that it’s not there.

I put my keys in that same spot quite often and my cars won’t start with the door open either. Pretty amazing technology.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@abacomike said:

@Mike this could only happen to you. The next time this happens, call you key fob. :s

jmonroe

@dad23 said:
    We just returned from a few weeks up in Wisconsin. I've been catching up and noticed the posts regarding rentals and Jeeps :) I had four rentals reserved as I was told it would be hard to secure a Suburban/Yukon XL. We like to rent the bigger vehicles for the room and less wear and tear on our cars. Anyway, two of the three called and canceled the reservations because they simply couldn't fulfill the request. The day before we left my two options were a Tahoe and a new Suburban, so we lucked out, although we paid dearly for it. So on our journey to and from, I noticed quite a few RVs with vehicles in tow, mainly 4-door Jeeps, just thought that was interesting. I'm wondering if they unhook the odometer while in tow or just rack up the miles? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

I think they just turn back the mileage after they make the repair and do the test drive to confirm the repair is satisfactory. That way they don’t have to fiddle with the paper work to extend the warranty. That’s the only logical way to do it. ;)

jmonroe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    abacomike said:

Had a horrible experience yesterday.

OK, I think there is a lesson here......but, I'm not sure what it is!
    I do know this.....if I have driven the car somewhere, and if I can't find my key for some reason....I know the key isn't too far away or else I wouldn't have been able to get to that spot.

You may recall around 2 or 3 years ago...it's always double what you think it was....I drove home from tennis and then I couldn't find my key. I wanted to buy a new one from MB which would cost $600. Mrs D said to wait it would show up....it did about 3 days later, on my way into the house I picked up some paper documents, put them in a drawer, and didn't notice the key was still in my hand under the documents. I needed a document a few days later....and spotted my key under the latest pile of documents.

So, it can happen even to the most intelligent people :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:
    Case Number One- A lot would depend on the guy's prior record-if any. As a prosecutor I make the final call, but I always listen to what the police and/or victims want to see happen- and try to accommodate their wishes- within reason. He'd definitely have to pay restitution for any damages and at a minimum I'd want to hang five years over his head, probated for five years. Unlike larger offices, I handle probation revocations 99.9% of the time, so I remember defendants if they show up there. If he insisted on going to trial I'd seek the maximum sentence possible - there has to be an incentive to take a plea bargain.

Case Number Two- Unless it's a minor drug possession case I'm not at all sympathetic to repeat offenders; I'd want him to serve time and pay the highest fine possible.

I missed this post:

You’re a real meany.

jmonroe

I’m so ashamed. 😎

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

I missed this post:

You’re a real meany.

jmonroe

I’m so ashamed. 😎

As it should be. And yet you can still live with yourself. :p

jmonroe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    There was a period of time here when the hosts were quite strict. Occasionally I miss that part of the experience here. :p I remember Pat though I don't exactly recall any interactions one way or the other. I do recall a series of emails between a couple of hosts (she may have been one of them) and myself from a now-defunct email account (so I cannot go back and look at them) where I was accused of some sort of transgression and argued my case, probably to no avail. This may have been around when the geniuses resident at the corporate end at the time decided to break up the forums structure into very "granular" topics so you might have 100 or more separate forums for every possible aspect of the 2001 Belchfire Brougham. Thankfully that didn't last long.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    edited July 2021
    dad23 said:

Don’t they disconnect the drive shaft on long trips so the transmission doesn’t overheat? Wouldn’t that turn off the odometer as well?

Having said that I once saw a Craigslist ad for a car with 250,000 miles on it that the seller claimed was from being towed behind his RV.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@ab348 said:
    There was a period of time here when the hosts were quite strict. Occasionally I miss that part of the experience here. :p I remember Pat though I don't exactly recall any interactions one way or the other. I do recall a series of emails between a couple of hosts (she may have been one of them) and myself from a now-defunct email account (so I cannot go back and look at them) where I was accused of some sort of transgression and argued my case, probably to no avail. This may have been around when the geniuses resident at the corporate end at the time decided to break up the forums structure into very "granular" topics so you might have 100 or more separate forums for every possible aspect of the 2001 Belchfire Brougham. Thankfully that didn't last long.

Man, it sounds like you guys had it rough back in the old days.

You guys otta be glad I showed up and saved this place before it got out of hand. :'(

jmonroe

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

@tjc78 said:

@abacomike said:

That’s why you didn’t get a message while driving that your key fob wasn’t in the car.

I put my keys in that same spot quite often and my cars won’t start with the door open either. Pretty amazing technology.

My RDX once started with the door open and the fob sitting on the roof. Which it fell off after a few blocks, before which it did display an error message, IIRC “no key detected.” I remember thinking that the battery in the fob must be going dead.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    ab348 said:

Thankfully that didn't last long.

It lasted long enough to cause lots of people to leave and never come back. Edmunds didn't (or couldn't) replicate the more general topics of those days, and here we are. The recent attempts to start up general boards for brands seem to have fallen flat, given the few that I follow.

ronsteve said:

@tjc78 said:

@abacomike said:

My RDX once started with the door open and the fob sitting on the roof. Which it fell off after a few blocks, before which it did display an error message, IIRC “no key detected.” I remember thinking that the battery in the fob must be going dead.

And I'm sure when you traded it in and the dealer said they could only find one fob you emphatically claimed they were both there when you dropped off the car. Yeah, we've heard that tale before and it didn't end well. :'(

jmonroe
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@abacomike said:
    He is a retired NYC police detective so he begins to try and solve the lost key problem the same way he approached solving murders in NYC - a meticulous search of the interior of my car -

Wait when he was a police detective he tried to solve murders by searching your car? Either he wasn't a very good detective or there is a part of your past life you're not telling us.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@dad23 said:

Well if they are towing it with the front wheels up or pn some sort of trailer it wouldn't register any miles. If all four hoofs are on the ground you just have to live with the extra miles I guess.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Don’t they disconnect the drive shaft on long trips so the transmission doesn’t overheat? Wouldn’t that turn off the odometer as well?

Having said that I once saw a Craigslist ad for a car with 250,000 miles on it that the seller claimed was from being towed behind his RV.

I don't think so, I believe that the odometer is connected to one of the front wheels.

We are flying down to Florida to see the kids and as I'm sitting on the airport I wonder why the gates for my flights are always near the end of the concourse.

@driver100 said:
    I do know this.....if I have driven the car somewhere, and if I can't find my key for some reason....I know the key isn't too far away or else I wouldn't have been able to get to that spot.

You may recall around 2 or 3 years ago...it's always double what you think it was....I drove home from tennis and then I couldn't find my key. I wanted to buy a new one from MB which would cost $600. Mrs D said to wait it would show up....it did about 3 days later, on my way into the house I picked up some paper documents, put them in a drawer, and didn't notice the key was still in my hand under the documents. I needed a document a few days later....and spotted my key under the latest pile of documents.

Don’t kid yourself, driver100, intelligence is over-rated! 😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

@snakeweasel said:
    We are flying down to Florida to see the kids and as I'm sitting on the airport I wonder why the gates for my flights are always near the end of the concourse.

My experience is that it’s illegal to have a gate close to where you enter. If somehow you find a gate close by, you’re in the wrong concourse.

jmonroe

abacomike said:

Soon it's going to be illegal. Pay attention.

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Now I know what they mean when they say, "Ignorance is bliss". :p

I believe the airline that pays less gets the poorer gates. Next time pay more and choose a better airline.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    I thought the end of the terminals had larger areas for bigger planes to park. The smaller planes can fit into the notches along the sides for the skyways to roll up against the planes.
    One the ends, Isn't that where the 787's deplane and load their customers.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Now I know what they mean when they say, "Ignorance is bliss". :p

Don’t tell us you just fell upon the revelation. :o

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

My experience is that it’s illegal to have a gate close to where you enter. If somehow you find a gate close by, you’re in the wrong concourse.

jmonroe

Well now we are changing planes in Nashville. The gate that we got off the plane was close to but not at the end of the concourse. The gate we had to go to is at the very end of another concourse. At least we didn't have to go through security again.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Hi. Rained most of the Vermont weekend. Still took the gondola to the top of Killington (where I've been many times, but on skis), hiked the .25 mile to the top, wet/muddy. Rather than hiking down, gondola'd back down. About two hours, which was plenty of time for a free tankful of electricity from one of the several charges at Killington.

Nice dinner at Simon Pearce in Woodstock; torrential/blinding rain on the way back to Ludlow. A7e was solid. Averaged ~52mpg for the trip. Great cruising car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

jmonroe

Well now we are changing planes in Nashville. The gate that we got off the plane was close to but not at the end of the concourse. The gate we had to go to is at the very end of another concourse. At least we didn't have to go through security again.

Yeah, but at least you’re not breaking any travel laws. Being a lawful traveler is the main thing.

Have a nice time visiting the kids. Don’t worry, we’ll watch the store until you get back.

jmonroe
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    jmonroe1 said:

ronsteve said:

And I'm sure when you traded it in and the dealer said they could only find one fob you emphatically claimed they were both there when you dropped off the car. Yeah, we've heard that tale before and it didn't end well. :'(

jmonroe
    Actually I heard it when it slid off the roof, so I was able to recover the fob. I wouldn't exactly say I "missed" being able to channel my inner andres.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    abacomike said:

Sounds like the opening chapter of a novel written by a retired teacher high on life.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    My wife locked the keyless fob in the trunk of our 2012 LaCrosse and I had to come get her. I still don't know how it happened because I did it once and the trunk immediately popped back open.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

My wife locked the keyless fob in the trunk of our 2012 LaCrosse and I had to come get her. I still don't know how it happened because I did it once and the trunk immediately popped back open.

If there's something strange like that which can occur, my wife can make it happen.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    While we were out at one of my daughter’s Color Guard competitions my wife didn’t want to carry her purse so she put it in the trunk of the Accord. When I tried to lock the car it wouldn’t. After multiple tries it occurred to me she had the other keyfob to the Accord in her purse. I ended up with two sets of keys in my pocket.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

.......and when we got to our destination I went to lock the car doors and when they wouldn't lock I realized I didn't have my keys in my pocket. So how was I able to drive to the restaurant? Oh yeh, it used Mrs D100s key to start and drive....she started walking away from the car before I could lock it using the power from her key....life sure is complicated!

tjc78 said:

If there's something strange like that which can occur, my wife can make it happen.
    Is your wife a twin that was separated at birth? :s

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276
    edited July 2021

My wife and daughter ventured out to go shopping in her new Q7. They made it back intact!!

I’m still waiting for the insurance check for the totaled Q7 before I send the title to Copart in Indianapolis. I suspect that they are waiting for the title before they send the check. Another impasse.

I did file the complaint with the state department of insurance too and I bet they are happy with me. I filed it on the Friday that they said was the best offer which was less than auction value. I had a letter the next Tuesday acknowledging the complaint and a call from them the next day. I told her that we had reached an agreement but I had not received the check. She wanted to see the response from the insurance company and make sure that I got the check for the agreed amount.

I’ve started pricing out other home, car and umbrella insurance

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    @mjfloyd1 I read an article in the past week that focused on the issue you had getting a reasonable market value settlement on a totaled vehicle. Seems insurance companies are using values from previous months which doesn’t reflect the current inflated market. It said you really had to negotiate with the adjuster to get a better settlement, though often with little or no luck. I don’t remember the source, perhaps CR. Sound familiar? Glad you were persistent and did well overall, everything considered.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276

The Insurance company used a company called CCC one. They priced out vehicles that had already sold so there was no way to check if options were correct. They also put in cars that were not prestige trim and presented them as if they were prestige. The few cars that were correct had higher values - the one I remember was $53300. That’s the price that I finally settled on.

CCC one also subtracted $3200 from each car for “condition “. I believe that I already told you all that I told the adjuster that if I had known that it would have been totaled then I would have had it detailed and not had a full tank of gas. I did offer to send up a mobile detailer to steam clean the carpets and seats and wax what was left of the exterior to get the $3200 back…

That business of taking $3200 off each car at will is a joke.

IT's like a nearby new car dealership(s) two together, actually three together, where every car had a $2500 trade-in value taken off the display price on the windshield. Sort of like a hidden markup if you go in expecting a $9600 car, you find the price for starting negotiations is $12100.

I don't know if they still do it. I wouldn't go back to buy a used car, or for that even a new car. I'd stop at the Toyo/Hyu stores adjacent.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had calibrated my home theater with the Audyssey MultEQ XT acoustical correction built into the receiver. At first I thought it sounded fine, but the more I listened it sounded like something wasn't quite right. In particular the subwoofer had too much gain, I went back into the the receiver's menu and discovered that I had not stored the settings when I ran the calibration- an incredibly dumb mistake that was entirely my fault. Today I recalibrated it in a perfectly silent house and stored the results. BIG difference and I am already much happier watching my movies and TV shows.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I have never experienced that problem with my Alexa :)