Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    nyccarguy said:

Right as we were pulling out of the driveway to leave for our PA trip, the Service Light (A1 - oil change/tire rotation) came on in our Pilot. 15% oil

Life remaining. Down to 10% by the time we got home last night. Got a $59.95 Oil Change/Tire Rotation coupon from the new Acura dealer that opened in town. They moved here from Greenwich (1 town south, once the largest NSX dealer in the world). I called and asked if they can do an oil change & tire rotation on a 2017 Pilot which is the mechanical twin to their MDX. “Sure, bring it down.”

They have a gorgeous TLX Type S (White/White & Black Interior) sitting outside. A few new MDX Techs & RDXs. The sales manager is outside helping his guys shuffle cars. “How do you like your truck?” I tell him I love it and how it’s my 1st pickup…. He says he’s got a 2020 GMC Sierra with the Duramax. Loves it. He then asks what I’m looking for. I tell him I’m bring our Pilot in for service. “Thanks for stopping by. If you are ever in the market…”

You’re probably tired of being asked but how is your car’s oil consumption?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

More seriously, with the frantic push to take fossil fuel production off line I worry that we will get to a point where existing electrical production won’t be able to keep up with demand. I know the response to that is that most people charge at night during off peak but at some point with millions of EVs that won’t be the case. Will wind and solar pick up the slack and if yes, at what cost?

Some are still trying to remove hydroelectic generation.

Nuclear power is needed as has been done in France if I recall correctly. They just use one nuclear plant design. So there is little room for design errors to cause problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@oldfarmer50 said:

You ask because you care @oldfarmer50 . I greatly appreciate that. The Pilot has not burned 1 single drop of oil as far as I can tell. This is now the 2nd oil change after the 1st incident where the transmission system & emission system lights went on. I think I’m in the clear, but will be vigilant and continue to check the oil level.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    For those anticipating the Ford Maverick: It appears one of the owners/administrators of a Maverick-specific forum was invited to a preview event and has advised that there is an embargo in place until the 26th. So, perhaps we will know more on Monday. Their post was not clear on whether they were going to be able to drive the truck.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Bottom line here is there is really nothing in the market that I really want right now! So, I keep what I got until such time as there is. This fall, the new 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross is due to be released. If it's as good as I think it will be, I will be getting an XLE model with the JBL audio system in as yet undetermined color. So far, this is the only vehicle that I can see replacing my current one with. As long as it'll fit on my side of the garage and I like the way it drives, I'm all in. And when that time comes, I will make a deal to either purchase or lease one and not look back. Many others in here have a much easier time I guess than I do deciding. My size constraint holds me back and I really really have to like what will fit for me to change out. So, I keep what I got until what I want turns up.
    And very soon, that model will be here. I already like the current Corolla and how it drives so I think we're about at the finish line here. But, I will also try the CH-R to make sure it could work. But, I'm finally ready so Toyota, start sending your new Corolla Cross out to the market place so I can get one already! I am so ready!!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850

Can’t you switch sides with your wife if you get something a little longer. Her Audi is only a few inches longer than the Golf, right?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    tjc78 said:

Can’t you switch sides with your wife if you get something a little longer. Her Audi is only a few inches longer than the Golf, right?

I was going to suggest the same thing.

@Sandy must have some stuff in his garage that prevents him from pulling in far enough for a car that is a little longer than what he has now. If it were me and I wanted a car that was a little larger than the space I had, I’d do some rearranging so it would fit. Maybe that’s too simplistic of a solution but he’d have to tell us about his situation.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    nyccarguy said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

You ask because you care @oldfarmer50 . I greatly appreciate that. The Pilot has not burned 1 single drop of oil as far as I can tell. This is now the 2nd oil change after the 1st incident where the transmission system & emission system lights went on. I think I’m in the clear, but will be vigilant and continue to check the oil level.

I had the same experience about the same mileage with our Pilot. From the repair around 75k to when we traded it at 150k, no issues, no oil top up between changes.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Also, looking at the Maverick specs/pricing yet again. The XL or XLT FWD hybrid are a pretty strong value proposition for someone who doesn't need a large interior (or AWD), but could use the cargo capacity. And it is assured to drive better than the Ecosport, Ford's only other new vehicle with a starting price around $20k.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    sda said:

nyccarguy said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I had the same experience about the same mileage with our Pilot. From the repair around 75k to when we traded it at 150k, no issues, no oil top up between changes.

I bought the Clubman with 104k miles on it; at that time it was using one quart of oil every 800-900 miles. At 107k miles I replaced the valve cover as it was thought that a bad PCV valve(integrated into the VC) might be causing the consumption issues. At 112k the oil was changed, and a non--LL-01 5W-30 synthetic was used(my fault, as I neglected to tell the shop to use LL-01). Oil consumption continued to hover around 800-900 miles/quart. At 116k miles the oil was changed using Mini(BMW) 0W-30. Oil consumption was unchanged until @119k miles- since then oil consumption has dropped to @1500 miles/qt. My guess is that the BMW LL-01 oil may have freed-up a stuck oil control ring or two...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2021
    nyccarguy said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

That’s good news. If that were me I’d have dreamt up at least three conspiracies by now wondering where the oil originally went. :@

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    jmonroe1 said:

Sandy must have some stuff in his garage that prevents him from pulling in far enough for a car that is a little longer than what he has now. If it were me and I wanted a car that was a little larger than the space I had, I’d do some rearranging so it would fit. Maybe that’s too simplistic of a solution but he’d have to tell us about his situation.

jmonroe

As I recall, the problem is that the house water heater is installed on his side of the garage and so his space is shorter than the adjacent side.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@ab348 said:
    As I recall, the problem is that the house water heater is installed on his side of the garage and so his space is shorter than the adjacent side.

I think it’s that and maybe part (or all) of the HVAC system as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That's easy to fix. Just install an instant hot water heater that hangs on the wall and is small. Place above the hood height for most vehicles.

The HVAC (or in FL, mostly AC) can be replaced with the new craze on This Old House, the mini split systems.

I take a light approach to suggesting that, knowing it's easier said than done, but if I'm at the replacement time for either, I'd consider spending for the upgrade to gain the room in the garage.

I recall looking at houses in the late 70s and finding all kinds of obstructions in the two car garages in the houses I looked at.

The mini-splits are great, but I don't think I would try to retrofit an entire house with an existing conventional split system unless I were doing substantial other renovations at the same time.

The gas tankless water heaters are pretty good, but don't work well with low flow rate appliances such as dishwashers. My parents had to replace one of their tank water heaters in the past year, and went with another tank style heater.
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

Sandy must have some stuff in his garage that prevents him from pulling in far enough for a car that is a little longer than what he has now. If it were me and I wanted a car that was a little larger than the space I had, I’d do some rearranging so it would fit. Maybe that’s too simplistic of a solution but he’d have to tell us about his situation.

jmonroe

I didn’t know that. He could always funnel some of his car buying funds to his house buying funds. In other words it’s time for him to re-balance his funds. Money managers have preached this for years.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    benjaminh said:

The Goodyear Eagle tires on my TLX are not surprisingly showing considerable wear at 44,000 miles. Still, my amateur eye says maybe 10,000 more miles?

I'm a numbers kind of guy. If it can be measured, then measure it. Tire tread gauges start at $5.88 on Amazon and will last forever (or until you lose it).

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited July 2021
    No, I park in front of the a/c air handler and the water heater, so no place to go and moving that stuff ain't worth it. She had already let me know on the first day I'd be parking on the right side. It ain't a big deal as we both prefer smaller vehicles. Our garage is really not cluttered at all with stuff on the shelves and a few things hung up on the walls. It really is a very clean area and I do sweep it out on a regular basis.
    Coolant leak is back as of an hour ago. Already left a message with mechanic about going in either Monday or Thursday but either way, it's getting taken care of this week! no more waiting around! She's on board with it to as she's had enough also.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2021
    There is also the Quarter test for tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvK2_2hGygw
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850

@corvette said:
    The mini-splits are great, but I don't think I would try to retrofit an entire house with an existing conventional split system unless I were doing substantial other renovations at the same time.

The gas tankless water heaters are pretty good, but don't work well with low flow rate appliances such as dishwashers. My parents had to replace one of their tank water heaters in the past year, and went with another tank style heater.

If you have a tankless hot water heater you absolutely need a good dishwasher that heats the water. It also helps tremendously to run the hot water at the faucet until it’s hot.

I like having one because my wife can fill the soaking tub and we still have plenty of hot water for showers, etc. it’s also very economical. My gas bill was only $22.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

I like having one because my wife can fill the soaking tub and we still have plenty of hot water for showers, etc. it’s also very economical. My gas bill was only $22.

Huh. My gas bill is $25/month even if I use zero gas. That is a fixed charge you get every month for the infrastructure. Gas usage gets added to that.

If we had gas at our home, I'd have put in the tankless long ago. They have perfected the systems
    more or less. Our home was built during the earlier gas shortage where they banned any new
    tap ins.

I have a gas furnace but electric water heater. It's about 15 years old. I will probably get one of the Rheem Marathon fiberglass tank models to replace it when it goes out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    We are only on our 2nd gas HWH in 23 years. Thought about tankless when we replaced the first one, but $2K vs $800 put me off of it. We don’t have any capacity issues, though

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    corvette said:

I have a gas furnace but electric water heater. It's about 15 years old. I will probably get one of the Rheem Marathon fiberglass tank models to replace it when it goes out.

Get a heat recovery water heater when you replace. Rheem has a line of them. Your wallet with thank you!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    benjaminh said:

I am well aware of the penny test, and tread wear indicators. But like I said, I'm a numbers guy. Give me real data.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I have a Fowler X-tread digital depth gauge. Not much more expensive than a mechanical one, and it eliminates guessing as to which x/32" reading it is closest to. It does use one of those coin cell batteries, which has to be replaced every year or so, but I just buy several on a card at a time from Amazon, so it's not a huge expense.
    This sounds like Sandy’s problem. Call the TV station.

https://youtu.be/uLgN0-AdWSc

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited July 2021
    benjaminh said:

Inflation for sure. For quite some time (many years ago) the Lincoln penny was the measuring device.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    In my travels today, stopped at a MB dealer to look at an '18 Aston Martin DB11; sat in it, made vroom vroom noises. Actually started it up, V8 sounds wonderful. I fit, ingress/egress wasn't too bad (unlike the billionaire doored BMW i8, that's a contortionists dream). Obvious Mercedes bits and pieces, not sure I felt the hefty price of entry in the interior materials. Styling, quite lovely, but reminded me of my Jag XK. And, I can't believe that a saleswoman actually approached me and allowed me to sit, start and play! Fooled her real good. She said I really should buy in the next week as she's off to Greece for a month next weekend. No pressure. And, out of warranty. I am a gambler...

Saw youngish couple with youngerish daughter testing a new G-Wagon. Parked next to my A7e, the youngerish daughter seemed to like my car. Noted the ADM sticker in the G window, something like this:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.
    Fintail's checkbook is now out...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Spoke with a couple of the salesmen at work today and no word on the release date of the 2022 Corolla Cross vehicle. All I've read is Fall of '21 so could be anytime now. Have been giving the CH-R a good look see lately and it'll solve the issue but that rear door blind spot is a big turn off for me still. Think a lighter interior color would help eradicate the issue somewhat and do love the Blizzard White pearl paint over an Ivory interior color combo truth be told, love any pearl paint. And if we did end up with two white vehicles, wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Been a long time that I've been this excited about any vehicle, not since I first drove the Golf back in December of 2014. Holding off trying the CH-R until this chip issue is solved, a $3995 market adjustment fee is not going to work in my world. Paying close to $30K for any kind of Toyota Corolla is just frickin' crazy and ain't gonna happen. Plus have to drive the Corolla Cross first since I just have a gut feeling I've finally found my next vehicle. Then we'll need to get the lease numbers unless they have 0% financing as I'd rather finance this time anyways. No disturbing the portfolio when I get monthly dividends and am still working and getting paychecks. Been years since I last bought and only financed once, back in 1981 with that pre-owned Datsun B-210 hatchback. New wife said no financing as we sat in the bank paying off that $2500 loan. If we don't have the cash for something, it won't get purchased I was informed. Went without a new vehicle for many years until I had saved enough back then.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

How does a light interior eradicate a blind spot?

If you don’t mind a shorter driveway you can always install a garage expander. :s

jmonroe
    mjfloyd1 said:

How does a light interior eradicate a blind spot?

Why do you have to ask questions for which there are no answers. :(

jmonroe

As my 15 yr old says “stopppppah”

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited July 2021
    Makes me wonder what else might be fudged (especially after listening to tales about my mom's house shopping in the past few weeks, crazy inspections and dodgy builds).

With bloated modern cars, I wonder if these tract builders have expanded anything.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Only 20K? Well, some say the market is slowing.

G is something I would special order, using a MB rep if needed - I'd rather wait than buy something with generic spec ordered by a dealer to appeal to boring overmonied people.

Local dealer had a few year old G accessorized with all kinds of instagram-style outdoorsy "lifestyle" bric a brac (as the Toyota 4x4 and Subaru cult locally are into all that even if they never venture past a paved trailhead with food vendors and 5G service - it's all about pretending to be adventurous and active and bold). Naturally it was also overpriced, nobody would touch it, I heard they sent it to auction.

In my travels today, stopped at a MB dealer to look at an '18 Aston Martin DB11; sat in it, made vroom vroom noises. Actually started it up, V8 sounds wonderful. I fit, ingress/egress wasn't too bad (unlike the billionaire doored BMW i8, that's a contortionists dream). Obvious Mercedes bits and pieces, not sure I felt the hefty price of entry in the interior materials. Styling, quite lovely, but reminded me of my Jag XK. And, I can't believe that a saleswoman actually approached me and allowed me to sit, start and play! Fooled her real good. She said I really should buy in the next week as she's off to Greece for a month next weekend. No pressure. And, out of warranty. I am a gambler...

Saw youngish couple with youngerish daughter testing a new G-Wagon. Parked next to my A7e, the youngerish daughter seemed to like my car. Noted the ADM sticker in the G window, something like this:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

Now you know how the salesperson can afford a trip to Greece.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited July 2021

@laurasdada said:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

A friend in VA has become a big Aston Martin fan- he keeps encouraging me to buy a DB7 or DB9. I have to say I’ve been tempted. As Jeremy Clarkson said, it's really nice to be able to say, “Darling, why don’t we take the Aston?”

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

fintail said:

G is something I would special order, using a MB rep if needed - I'd rather wait than buy something with generic spec ordered by a dealer to appeal to boring overmonied people.

Local dealer had a few year old G accessorized with all kinds of instagram-style outdoorsy "lifestyle" bric a brac (as the Toyota 4x4 and Subaru cult locally are into all that even if they never venture past a paved trailhead with food vendors and 5G service - it's all about pretending to be adventurous and active and bold). Naturally it was also overpriced, nobody would touch it, I heard they sent it to auction.

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

I notice the "market adjustment" of $20K

Has anyone ever seen a dealer have a market adjustment on the sticker which is -$10K? -$15 K?
    My understanding is if the market were not so good for a model, color, etc., a negative adjustment
    would be called for.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063

fintail said:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

I notice the "market adjustment" of $20K

Has anyone ever seen a dealer have a market adjustment on the sticker which is -$10K? -$15 K?
    My understanding is if the market were not so good for a model, color, etc., a negative adjustment
    would be called for.

Those are called “discounts”, and you have to negotiate for them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I see those tags all the time (well, maybe not these days, but in normal times!). Usually big ones hanging from the mirror showing the sales price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@laurasdada said:

Market Adjustment $20k

Security Package $2500

Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

A friend in VA has become a big Aston Martin fan- he keeps encouraging me to buy a DB7 or DB9. I have to say I’ve been tempted. As Jeremy Clarkson said, it's really nice to be able to say, “Darling, why don’t we take the Aston?”

And it was Clarkson, when reviewing the XK (maybe XKR), while he loved it, said it just screams "because I couldn't afford the Aston Martin." Which my son loved to quote.
    Of course, for the price of the AM, there are a 911s...

I do seem to have a preference for the Brits, though. Don't tell Herr Audi, bitte.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited July 2021
    It's easier to see in the back of a lighter interior vehicle, don't know why but it's brighter than a black interior. That's the point I was trying to make.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2021
    Perhaps no one would cross-shop the Corolla hybrid with Ford's upcoming Maverick hybrid, but maybe they should.

With destination a 2022 Corolla hybrid has an msrp of $24,645, and goes 0-60 in a "painfully slow" 10.7 seconds:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28442604/2020-toyota-corolla-hybrid-by-the-numbers/

With destination a 2022 base Maverick hybrid has an msrp of $21,490. The Maverick hybrid is more powerful than the Corolla and should go about two seconds faster 0-60.

At msrp the Maverick hybrid costs $3155 less than the Corolla hybrid.

The standard steel wheels on the Maverick look old school in a good way to me. I could probably live with a manual seat, but I'm used to adaptive cruise control now, and I think even a base Corolla or Civic get that.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Watch out for insurance costs if you buy an Aston.

https://youtu.be/6O7stxoFPlM

edited July 2021
    benjaminh said:

Perhaps no one would cross-shop the Corolla hybrid with Ford's upcoming Maverick hybrid, but maybe they should.

To my mind:
    Corolla Hybrid = regular Corolla with a Prius powertrain
    Maverick Hybrid = Escape Hybrid with a bed instead of a cargo area and fewer standard features

I think I'd much rather drive the Escape-derived vehicle. With the high cargo load rating, I think the Maverick hybrid would be a perfect parts hauler for an auto parts store, and probably other applications, as well. The 33 MPG highway rating is kind of a letdown, although I think that is a function of curb weight and the aerodynamics and frontal square footage "footprint."

I, too, love the standard steel wheels on the Maverick XL. I think the XL with the 2.0T engine is going to be a sleeper.
    Hey, look what I just saw over in the Cars and Conversations board. Does he expect a party or presents or what? Some nerve, huh? :@

Before I forget, I’d like to wish @jmonroe a happy birthday. I missed his anniversary last week (still get a few snide remarks about that) so I didn’t want to screw up again.

jmonroe1

What does jmonroe think of this newcomer jmonroe1? :)