Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited July 2021
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Can confirm the previous owner did use it as a farm truck/work truck on occasion. Also, it's a one owner vehicle. Recently had a major repair of a common failure item.

Tacoma
    Good guess, but, I only said it was used as a truck. ;):p
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    edited July 2021

Subaru Baja with a now-repaired blown headgasket.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Didn't they make an XT of that model? I'd probably like that. My conquest doesn't have a truck bed and is considered a car by conventional nomenclature, although some in the peanut gallery here may insist they'd rather walk. :D
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    corvette said:

Didn't they make an XT of that model? I'd probably like that. My conquest doesn't have a truck bed and is considered a car by conventional nomenclature, although some in the peanut gallery here may insist they'd rather walk. :D
    Malaise era GM intermediate

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    mjfloyd1 said:

@benjaminh said:

Perhaps no one would cross-shop the Corolla hybrid with Ford's upcoming Maverick hybrid, but maybe they should.

With destination a 2022 Corolla hybrid has an msrp of $24,645, and goes 0-60 in a "painfully slow" 10.7 seconds:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28442604/2020-toyota-corolla-hybrid-by-the-numbers/

With destination a 2022 base Maverick hybrid has an msrp of $21,490. The Maverick hybrid is more powerful than the Corolla and should go about two seconds faster 0-60.

At msrp the Maverick hybrid costs $3155 less than the Corolla hybrid.

The standard steel wheels on the Maverick look old school in a good way to me. I could probably live with a manual seat, but I'm used to adaptive cruise control now, and I think even a base Corolla or Civic get that.

I never thought I would see someone happy that their vehicle is more powerful than a Corolla :)

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited July 2021
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Malaise era GM intermediate
    Good guess. No, but it did seem to have a surprising amount of torque steer on the test drive.

So FWD. quick. but something serviceable with parts from auto zone?

So FWD. quick. but something serviceable with parts from auto zone?

Yes, no (but has torque steer), yes (mostly).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Maxima?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Maxima?

I consider the Maxima quick... The conquest definitely is not. The torque steer really threw me off--might have been exacerbated by some wheel spin due to mediocre tires, but still surprising.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

Saab with GM V6

so not quick? A toyota maybe? Older Corolla hatch? A Honda Fit? Though a Fit doesn't have enough torque to steer it...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    hmmm... How about a 2.slow Golf?
    But you did say some would rather walk.
    Maybe like a Focus hatch or Fiesta? Fiesta seems too new, though.
    Ok, Focus hatch/wagon ORRRRR even a Taurus wagon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

Maxima?

I consider the Maxima quick... The conquest definitely is not. The torque steer really threw me off--might have been exacerbated by some wheel spin due to mediocre tires, but still surprising.
    I can’t believe @oldfarmer50 talked you into taking one of his rusted out farm hoopties off his hands! :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    mjfloyd1 said:

Saab with GM V6

This is my guess as well, in wagon form.

Couldn’t be a PT or HHR, could it?
    Fits the description so far.
    I don’t think anyone here would say “walk rather than Saab.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    Couldn’t be a PT or HHR, could it?
    Fits the description so far.
    I don’t think anyone here would say “walk rather than Saab.

Agree re: Saab

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

I really hope it’s not a Pontiac aztek or something.

I still plan on buying a dozen of those and holding them until they become collectible.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

corvette said:

stickguy said:

Maxima?

I can’t believe @oldfarmer50 talked you into taking one of his rusted out farm hoopties off his hands! :s

jmonroe
    I consider them unrestored classics.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Woke up today and in a lot of pain, was in and out of the Camry a lot yesterday it seems. Luckily I like the way they drive. Really need to re-evaluate my time line of staying as a shuttle driver. Today is really the worst I've felt after a shift. Not sure I'll even wait till years end to stay but taking it one day at a time. It is fun and have met some interesting folks though some have been downright rude! But over all, mostly nice folks who appreciate the service. Even get a few tips each time I'm there, nothing to write home about. But, still nice to get!
    Well, off to Enterprise.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Seems like a Saab wagon would be relatively quick. Plus, I can't really see anyone using one as a farm truck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited July 2021

I’m thinking Saab hatchback - throw those hay bales in the back

Saab turbo would provide plenty of torque steer. I think anHHR SS would too.

edited July 2021

PT GT Cruiser?

It is a hatchback and not a wagon... Went to the bank to get cash for the seller and just printed the insurance card to give to the DMV.

I really hope it’s not a Pontiac aztek or something.

I still plan on buying a dozen of those and holding them until they become collectible.
    “Collectible”? You meant “totally worthless”, right? :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

PT GT Cruiser?

Wow, wait till @oldfarmer50’s wife hears hears about why he told her to allow him to ditch her old car. :'(

jmonroe
    edited July 2021
    He said it isn't powerful, so the torque steer is likely an issue with tires. No need to keep thinking hi-po models. lol.

Not a wagon ... so I'm back to just Focus hatch.
    ORRRR... oooo... how about Malibu Maxx!

I'm assuming PT and HHR are out since most consider those wagons, no?

jmonroe1 said:

PT GT Cruiser?

Wow, wait till @oldfarmer50’s wife hears hears about why he told her to allow him to ditch her old car. :'(

jmonroe
    If he bought a PT Cruiser he has my condolences.

Focus ZX5 or ZX3.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    qbrozen said:

He said it isn't powerful, so the torque steer is likely an issue with tires. No need to keep thinking hi-po models. lol.

Not a wagon ... so I'm back to just Focus hatch.
    ORRRR... oooo... how about Malibu Maxx!

I'm assuming PT and HHR are out since most consider those wagons, no?

I actually thought about a Focus hatchback, the transmission issues would fit the "recently fixed known problem" part. I don't know that most would rather walk than drive one though? They weren't the best but outside the Power Shift issues they seemed to be fairly decent cars for what they were.

The rather walk than drive certainly points towards the PT Cruiser/HHR or as you said the Malibu Maxx.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    The HHR with the 2.4 isn't bad. The SS even better. They were surprisingly versatile and rode well. Depending on your height, outward visibility could be compromised. I had an 08 2LT fully loaded, leather, sunroof. I enjoyed that car. The little engine that could.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Saabaru 92x? Although the AWD should counteract the torque steer.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I had a farmer acquaintance who used a conversion van as a farm truck. With the captain’s chairs and shag carpeting removed it had a lot of cargo space.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    The '18 MB 450SL and '18 AM DB11 have both sold. Phew, not having a lot of money is saving me a lot of money!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Nice color. Should get better MPG than the truck!

And I did guess Toyota 1st!

corvette said:

Presenting my new beater.

What was the common defect that was fixed?

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    corvette said:

Hey, why not. Some spit and polish and in this market, you could probable flip for a profit.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Well, I had been toying with replacing the Tundra with something smaller like the Maverick or a midsize CUV, but the lease end is over a year away if I take the six month extension typically offered by US Bank.

Was messing around on Craigslist and just typed in "Prius," found several, as well as on FB Marketplace. Lots of junk. People wanting thousands for ones with bad hybrid batteries. Found this one miscategorized in the parts category, but the description made it clear that it ran and drove just fine. Met the owner last night.

Unlike 90%+ of the ones you would find for sale, it's a one owner car. The edge of the hood is dented from a low speed deer hit, but it has decent cosmetics for having 222,000 miles. Which brings us to the common/expensive repair, the hybrid battery. She replaced it four years ago, and it died again recently. She resigned herself at that point to sell the car to a junkyard and buy a new one. She bought a new Prius Prime and was ready to junk this one. Someone told her to see a guy up in Indiana, and he was able to rebuild the pack very inexpensively so she could get more than junk value for the car.

Asking price was $2,900, I offered $2,500, and we agreed on $2,700. I'm going to give the car a good Italian tuneup to try to shake out any mechanical issues before I sink a lot of time or money into fixing cosmetics. The interior has some scratches and stains, but the materials have held up amazingly considering the age and mileage--nothing has disintegrated.
    edited July 2021

Must have been one of those illiterate Hoosiers that fixed the Prius battery ones that only mispronounce words -ones that @kyfdx knows :)

au1994 said:

Saabaru 92x? Although the AWD should counteract the torque steer.

No torque steer in a Subaru

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

never ever would have come up with that one. Pretty sure your local auto parts giant isn't going to have new batteries nor electric motor for it. lol.

That’s what I thought - Autozone has parts for that?

edited July 2021

Lol, I meant maintenance parts. Transmission fluid, oil filters, cabin filters, etc. It needs some of those black plastic push pins that secure trim pieces. I’m going to have to check my stash to see whether I already have any.

Also, whomever last filled the oil overfilled it by about a quart. Going to have to bust out the Topsider to suck some of it out.

So that one is not full electric but is a hybrid Prius?