Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,462
    mjfloyd1 said:

That’s what I thought - Autozone has parts for that?

Sure, lug nuts, touch up paint and wax.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

@mjfloyd1 said:
    So that one is not full electric but is a hybrid Prius?

Right. None of the fancy plug in stuff, either.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited July 2021
    corvette said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

That’s probably what stickguy should buy to hold him over until the market comes back to earth.

BTW, did you mention what year that is?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    if that thing runs OK and doesn't have all kinds of error messages I would have jumped on it for that price. It actually would be perfect for me to tide us over until next year when hopefully conditions normalize.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It’s a 2007 non-Touring model. Appears to have the second highest option package (no leather, but has nav, VSC, JBL audio, xenons, and fogs).

stickguy said:

if that thing runs OK and doesn't have all kinds of error messages I would have jumped on it for that price. It actually would be perfect for me to tide us over until next year when hopefully conditions normalize.

Here you go:
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/ctd/d/manchester-2002-toyota-prius-4dr-sdn/7348787698.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

So far as I know, the Gen2 Prius (2004-2009) was the first one which drove almost entirely like a normal car. I am pretty sure the first generation one could not continuously maintain a steady-state speed of more than 80 MPH or so, as it would deplete the battery and have to slow down to charge it. Mine is not fast--I anticipate having to go flat out on interstate onramps.
    I draw the line at a 1st gen Prius.

Corvette, does not matter how fast it is to me. Not for a spare car for around town duty. Might never take it anywhere that it needs to break 50 anyway!

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Long ago in a galaxy far far away, I owned a 1971 Peugeot. The top speed was about 84 mph, but it could cruise, comfortably, at 80 all day. I loved that 4 speed on the column shifter, my friends would freak out when they saw me shifting that 4th time.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    henryn said:

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, I owned a 1971 Peugeot. The top speed was about 84 mph, but it could cruise, comfortably, at 80 all day. I loved that 4 speed on the column shifter, my friends would freak out when they saw me shifting that 4th time.

Which model was it, I am thinking 404 with the column shift. My friend's dad had a 75 504, the shifter was floor mounted. This was while we were in France. Boy it had comfortable seats and rode really well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

henryn said:

Which model was it, I am thinking 404 with the column shift. My friend's dad had a 75 504, the shifter was floor mounted. This was while we were in France. Boy it had comfortable seats and rode really well.
    It was a 504. The seats were very comfortable, and the ride and handling were both great. American cars at that time could not manage both ride and handling, but that has improved considerably.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

It was like this, a GL model, cloth, sunroof. I had forgotten earlier models had the column shift.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

It was like this, a GL model, cloth, sunroof. I had forgotten earlier models had the column shift.

Yes, quite similar, at least as far as I can recall. It has been a very long time!
    This from CNN Business earlier today. They're saying "through 2022". Jeez, not good.

Automakers in recent weeks have sharply revised down their production schedules as they struggle to work around the shortage of computer chips, which control dozens of functions in all modern vehicles. In a report released Wednesday, Goldman Sachs said it expects new car inventories to fall further in August, to around 1 million, before beginning to steadily rebuild in September. Inventories will remain well below their pre-pandemic levels through 2022.
    saw a YAA video earlier where they talked about this, and cited Tata quarterly report where they predicted significantly lower production the rest of the year for that reason. And they would know.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    From Automotive News: https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-restart-pickup-output-downtime-added-crossover-sedan-plants

GM to restart pickup output; downtime added at crossover, sedan plants

General Motors will resume full-size pickup production Monday, as planned, after cutting output this week due to the global microchip shortage, the automaker said Wednesday. But six other North American plants will take additional downtime, including Fairfax Assembly, which has been idled for nearly six months.

GM's pickup plants -- Flint Assembly in Michigan, Silao Assembly in Mexico and Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana -- will restart full production Monday. Flint had been operating on only one shift this week, and Fort Wayne and Silao were idled.

The chip shortage has hampered production for GM and other automakers since early this year. GM has prioritized chips for its lucrative full-size pickup and SUV segments over crossovers and sedans. AutoForecast Solutions estimates that the chip crisis has reduced North America vehicle production by 1.8 million vehicles so far. It projects the total impact could reach 2.1 million.

GM scheduled additional downtime at six other plants:

Lansing Delta Township, Spring Hill, Ramos Arizpe assembly plants: Each of the plants will take an additional week of downtime. GM now expects production to restart Aug. 9 after shutting down July 19. Ramos, in Mexico, builds the Chevrolet Blazer and Equinox. Spring Hill, in Tennessee, builds the Cadillac XT5 and XT6 and the GMC Acadia. Lansing Delta Township, in Michigan, builds the Chevy Traverse and the Buick Enclave.

San Luis Potosi Assembly: The plant in Mexico will add three more weeks of downtime and is now scheduled to resume production Aug. 23. The plant has been down since July 19. It builds the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain.

Lansing Grand River Assembly: GM plans to resume production at the Michigan plant Aug. 30, two weeks later than planned. Production of the Cadillac CT4 and CT5 sedans at the plant has been down since May 10. Production of the Chevy Camaro, also built at Lansing Grand River, will not be impacted.

Fairfax Assembly: The Kansas City plant will take an additional four weeks of downtime. It was expected to resume production Aug. 23. Now Cadillac XT4 production is scheduled to restart Sept. 20, but Chevrolet Malibu production will remain idled, GM said. Fairfax has been down since Feb. 8.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited July 2021
    I am really not looking forward to trying to get another car later this year!

If I hadn't turned my lease in early, I would most likely be buying it out.

stickguy said:

Suddenly, oldfarmer’s used car lot is looking pretty good, eh? :D

we are going to be up your way looking at houses Friday. If it works out and we get one, I will swing by to walk the lot. And throw out some lowball offers.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

But how many thousands of dollars have you saved so far from turning it in?

My guess is still that by December things will be looking at least a bit better. But to get even an okay deal it will probably be important to look for something that's not in high demand. In other words, since almost everyone these days seems to want an suv, a sedan might have more room for negotiation.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    ballpark, by December when the lease was up, at least $8k banked. that will cover a slightly inflated lease payment on a replacement!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2021
    8K! A lot of money. Does that include the money you've saved on car insurance?

Yeah, if you've saved that much then maybe it's reasonable to consider a lease around $450 or so a month? Or what did you have in mind? And since you might be able to get by with a 7500 mile a year lease you should be able to get into a nice vehicle for that—probably even a nice suv.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@stickguy said:

I thought you got rid of the Acura because you were not fond of it - maybe preferred a V6???

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    Next week, I'm going to get some bids on my MKZ.
    Got one last week which looked good after doing a for sale search on a site that aggregates listings on other sites.
    At this point, it's hard to justify 2 daily's when I only need one.
    The Explorer seems to be working out well.
    Mileage is just a bit lower than the MKZ in local driving and the other night, we filled all 7 seats coming back from a wedding, due to some extra people needing a ride home.
    It's also done well on the 2 road trips.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

But how many thousands of dollars have you saved so far from turning it in?

My guess is still that by December things will be looking at least a bit better. But to get even an okay deal it will probably be important to look for something that's not in high demand. In other words, since almost everyone these days seems to want an suv, a sedan might have more room for negotiation.
    I've seen some folks get decent lease deals on B-class sedans (Elantra, Corolla, etc.).

Try to find a 2021 model year, however - the new stuff doesn't have great lease programs (aka 2022 Civic).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I did like the TLX. I never intend to buy out a lease though. Too many other things to try! But that was a car that might have been worth it since I trusted it to last a long time for not much money.

the $8k was payments saved, a few bucks on maintenance, insurance, what they paid me and no disposition fee. Though doing it again, might be closer to $9. In any case, a significant amount of money. And if I wasn't going to buy it, would be looking for a replacement soon anyway.

I really got rid of it because of equity, and with the shutdowns I knew it would get very little use. Plus we had a brand new RDX in the house too for taking places. That car is now 16 months old, and just broke 7,500 miles. So trying to keep a 2nd car exercised too was going to be tough.

if I get something new in December, that is when the TLX lease would have run out anyway. And something like a Civic or Elantra (N line) is certainly a possibility, if that is what is available and not crazy prices. But we shall see!

corvette said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

But does it have more power than a Corolla? :)
    edited July 2021
    At the very least, it has more power than a Corolla when the gas engine isn't running.

At the very least, it has more power than a Corolla when the gas engine isn't running.

Well that's a take that I hadn't figured on...
    just realized that there is a plus to shopping in the current conditions. It will take less time. No inventory to look at, and probably just take it or leave it pricing with no negotiations. If you find an actual car in stock, you just run in and hope you can get it before somebody else does.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    sda said:

The HHR with the 2.4 isn't bad. The SS even better. They were surprisingly versatile and rode well. Depending on your height, outward visibility could be compromised. I had an 08 2LT fully loaded, leather, sunroof. I enjoyed that car. The little engine that could.

My main issue with the HHR from riding in one once (friends' rental fodder) was that apparently Fisher Price was the sole source of the interior plastics.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Just when you think it’s safe to go outside…

Rodo has an Elantra N line stickshift for $335/month with only 1st month DAS. That is not too bad if I planned to go back to a stick.

My sister had that generation of Prius. The only enjoyment I got driving it was to see how far I could go without the engine starting.
    corvette said:

Lol, I meant maintenance parts. Transmission fluid, oil filters, cabin filters, etc. It needs some of those black plastic push pins that secure trim pieces. I’m going to have to check my stash to see whether I already have any.

Also, whomever last filled the oil overfilled it by about a quart. Going to have to bust out the Topsider to suck some of it out.

Okay, I want to know how you can tell that an engine has been overfilled by about a quart???? No one ever taught me that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Dipstick

Obviously not a BMW. ;)
    A Leaf SV tech for $320/month but only 2 years. $331 for a plug in hybrid Ioniq. At least those would be cheap to run!

still one of the best deals is a 2021 TLX with tech for $442/mo, 1st only DAS. At least that is a nice car, for around pre-pandemic money (I figure anything within about 10% or $50/month more than before the market went nuts is pretty good).

I couldn't think of a better one word answer :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I don't know why, but I really like this ZL1 1LE.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

mjfloyd1 said:

Dipstick

Hey, no need to be rude and name call!

won't lose that one in a parking lot. But $67k for a 3 YO unit? ouch.

Those Camaros to me seem like something that people get tired of pretty quickly. Hard to see it being a daily for many years. Or a daily period.

I love the color. But my wife really has an aversion to orange.

I'd much rather have a M2 comp.

That wing screams "boy racer"
    mjfloyd1 said:

Just when you think it’s safe to go outside…

Think twice... You will be burned alive by the sun!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited July 2021
    If it was about $8k cheaper I'd go for it- and it beats an M2 Comp around VIR by 14.7 seconds.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I don’t get to VIR often but if I did, I’d rather be in an M2 comp :)

@stickguy said:

Take it as you will :)

I sprung for a Carfax on the Prius to try to get a handle on its maintenance history. Nothing earth-shattering. Mostly oil changes and tire rotations. It got a new water pump early in its life. The last recorded engine air filter change was about 100k ago, which jibes with what I found when I replaced it:

Weirdly, the cabin air filter is brand new. There was also some work I know was done (catalytic converter and O2 sensors, hybrid battery rebuild) that didn't make it onto the report. I was mainly curious to see whether the ATF in the power split device had been changed. If there had been a history of changing it every 50-75k, I might be inclined to continue, but since there's not, I guess it will be a "lifetime fluid" for me.
    edited July 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

Take it as you will :)

Okay, it's overfilled, but how do you get "1 quart" overfilled with no markers or indicators before/below 1 quart low and after/past/above full.

You drain it and compare the quantity that you get out to the manufacturer oil capacity in the owner’s manual