Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    driver100 said:

I can't believe 2 of you guys had an 80s Mustang. I almost bought one in 1984, but I got a great lease deal on a Camaro, and I liked the way it drove better. But, I think those Mustangs look better as time goes by.

Some of them (the GT as long as it is well-kept) do. Plain Jane versions not so much.

I have mixed feelings about them. Back in the '90s, seeing a well-kept clean mid/late '80s GT hatch made me admire it, though I recognized they were not the greatest driving cars. They had a terrible reputation locally for being uncontrollable at speed in rain or winter conditions. I wasn't a huge fan of the '80s Camaros though. Given a choice today of either in similar fine condition, I'd take the Mustang.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    I had an 86 GT back in the day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

My preference would be a refreshed '87 or up model with the revised front end styling and newer dashboard design.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    @ab348 I agree 100% and was thinking exactly the same.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276

They didn’t have any 87s when I looked in 79 tho :)

bwia said:

The new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer looks so nice and pretty too, but how's the fit and finish? The price seems reasonable as well but the 0- 60 mph time of 9.2 seconds is not going to stir your heart strings.

Bwia, Sorry but I have to disagree about the styling...it looks like it was made up by a team of competing designers. The front looks like two designs somehow melted into one car, the lines on the side are going in different directions, all the windows are made at different angles...no flow.
    * at the 2:32 mark they show the cladding around the windows doesn't line up
    * *You get a CVT unless you get AWD
    * I find this design is smoother and looks more stylish;

RAV4

Yeh.........at least 3 guys here had 80s Stangs!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@driver100 said:
    I can't believe 2 of you guys had an 80s Mustang. I almost bought one in 1984, but I got a great lease deal on a Camaro, and I liked the way it drove better. But, I think those Mustangs look better as time goes by.

Speaking of which, on a Car Talk program today the guy said if your lease is coming up, buy the car, you can get a lot more for it than what the buy back price will be.

I had a 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 with 3 pedals. Fast car, to be sure. It was white with a royal blue stripe.

2021 Genesis G90

@driver100 said:

Speaking of which, on a Car Talk program today the guy said if your lease is coming up, buy the car, you can get a lot more for it than what the buy back price will be.

Not all used cars have seen dramatic price increases, especially some of the EV’s.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

Bwia, Sorry but I have to disagree about the styling...it looks like it was made up by a team of competing designers. The front looks like two designs somehow melted into one car, the lines on the side are going in different directions, all the windows are made at different angles...no flow.

RAV4

Well, a RAV4 Prime is considerably more expensive than a Trailblazer, probably by 5 figures - they are really a different class of vehicle.

I don't know much about the Chevy version but the Buick Encore GX is closely related, drives nicely, and is well-finished inside.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    edited July 2021
    Based on some Rodo listings, there are A ton of 2021 EVs and plug ins available. At least for Hyundai.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,249

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,558
    mjfloyd1 said:

Unfortunately the unvaccinated put us all at risk. They get the various variants and pass them on while in la boutique target or The Walmart…

How long ago did we learn that one bad apple ruins the whole barrel? Like they say, “you can lead a horse to water but….”

I also cast my vote for the Darwin thing.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    edited July 2021
    As for this design language throughout a number of compact CUVs, I think Volvo did it best. The rounded fender openings and upright grille (that is not frowning like the others) appeal to me. I do like the TB. Compared to the others, I like the fewer angles in the front and, again, the more rounded fender openings. RAV4 is probably the most unattractive to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

RAV4

Well, a RAV4 Prime is considerably more expensive than a Trailblazer, probably by 5 figures - they are really a different class of vehicle.

I don't know much about the Chevy version but the Buick Encore GX is closely related, drives nicely, and is well-finished inside.
    @ab348, you are correct. According to kbb, ..."under the skin, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Buick Encore GX are nearly identical. But that doesn’t mean they’re the same. The Trailblazer is smoother, more stylish, and the all-around better vehicle. And it’s $5,000 cheaper to boot."

And I agree with the stylish part of the quote. In Asian Petrolhead's review and test drive, he said the Trailblazer was designed and manufactured in Korea and exhibits good handling characteristics and is very quiet inside as it has noise cancelling technology that gives it a sense of refinement.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I'm not keen on Toyota's angry styling theme. It doesn't look sporty or elegant. Does it bite?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@qbrozen Did you try to find the ugliest view of a RAV4 as possible, with its snout protruding all out of proportion to the real vehicle....this one makes it look better;

@ab348 I tried to find a similar SUV at a comparable price but most range from mid $20s to mid $30s. The Trailblazer starts at $21000 but that one is only available in white and has hub caps. To get a decent one it will cost $26000. And then, what about after depreciation, which one will come out ahead as the better buy overall?
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs

The Volvo & the Jeep look better overall, but not ideal...in that segment I prefer a Tiguan

Tiguan is much bigger. Larger I think than a RAV or CRV now. Taos is more comparable to an encore or TB.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    The Taos isn't getting much love from CR.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Like the Encore GX. Did drive the Encore and it was just "meh" to be honest. Like the Rav4 but a bit too large for my garage. Love the Volvo XC40 but it's pricey starting at $34K. Looks like the upcoming Corolla Cross will hit the sweet spot in this smaller CUV segment and it's due out by sometime during the fall of 2021 and being called a 2021 model for some odd reason. It slots in just under the Rav4 and just above the CH-R in their line-up and the one I've got my sights set on.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

sda said:

The Taos isn't getting much love from CR.

I look at there comments, but often come to a different conclusion!

bwia said:

@ab348, you are correct. According to kbb, ..."under the skin, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Buick Encore GX are nearly identical. But that doesn’t mean they’re the same. The Trailblazer is smoother, more stylish, and the all-around better vehicle. And it’s $5,000 cheaper to boot."

And I agree with the stylish part of the quote. In Asian Petrolhead's review and test drive, he said the Trailblazer was designed and manufactured in Korea and exhibits good handling characteristics and is very quiet inside as it has noise cancelling technology that gives it a sense of refinement.

Well, I don't know. I haven't read much that was too favorable about the Chevy, although that may be just the inherent anti-GM bias of the automotive press. But I know from my own experience that the interiors of most Chevys these days are not great. I have seen some reasonably positive reviews of the Encore GX and the one I had as a loaner surprised me with how good it was.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Donated blood today, was to be at an outdoor mall that has two (free!) Chargepoint stations. but was switched to a church a few miles north. After donating, drove to the mall for lunch (not enough time), brief grocery shopping (accomplished) and free electricity.

The last time I was at this mall, the two charging stations weren't functional, which I reported to Chargepoint. This time, they were in worse shape, the locking tab on the top of each plug was broken off ; no electricity flowing. As I was down to 2 miles of electric range, my anxiety was mitigated by the 301 miles of gas range left.

Thank goodness I wasn't driving a BEV! But, had I been, no doubt I would have left home with more than 16 miles of range.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited July 2021
    stickguy said:

Tiguan is much bigger. Larger I think than a RAV or CRV now. Taos is more comparable to an encore or TB.

The Taos is almost the same price as the Tiguan, but I think the design actually comes out looking nicer than the larger SUV. Edmunds gives it 4 1/2 Stars, starts at $23k, get a recommended S model for $24k, and top of the line for $33k.........probably more satisfying than the Trailblazer, and looks much better.

driver100 said:

Did you try to find the ugliest view of a RAV4 as possible, with its snout protruding all out of proportion

LOL. Yeah, the front 3/4 view that all manufacturers use as their main promo photo was a tough find. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh boy. It has been a minute but gotta switch jobs. Started interview process this past Monday and already have an offer. Can’t recall ever getting a job so fast at this career level. Should be interesting. They are a totally office-agnostic outfit. My to-be boss just so happens to live in NJ, though.

The new Parkinson’s drug approval suck the life out of you?

good luck. I talked to a few people and it seems like it is a real job hunters market right now. I should get out there and look, but my preferred next job is retired. So might as well keep the lousy job I have now!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Q, what kind of business do you do? I've never been able to tell. I was lucky. Everyone knew what a mailman was or to put a different spin on it, a letter carrier. And now, a transporter and a shuttle driver. I'm assuming you're in some kind of tech but not really sure.
    I do like the Taos but think it's a bit too big for my needs. Drove the Encore and it was o k, a smallish turbo under the hood. Think I should've also driven the Encore GX while I was there but it looked to be a bit big also. But at 174.2", think it'll just fit on my side. Saw a few at a dealer yesterday in different colors and alloy styles, and liked it. So, might have to give it a drive once I do get super serious here. Once I get to that point, and they have enough inventory on all the models I like, it won't take long for me to decide and put an offer in, usual time frame is a week, give or take, between driving and taking delivery. Once I start, just want it done with minimal drama. I'll put out what I want to pay plus my Golf and then we'll see if it's a yes or no on your part. After some give & take, we'll either have a deal or I'm on to another dealer with my offer. Won't take too long either. We each want a fair deal with me paying a decent price and you getting a decent price. I either finance or I write you a check and you give me my new keys. And off I go!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    That C-pillar, ugh
    bwia said:

The new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer looks so nice and pretty too, but how's the fit and finish? The price seems reasonable as well but the 0- 60 mph time of 9.2 seconds is not going to stir your heart strings.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    edited July 2021
    An 80s Mustang is either Troy's car:

Or a car for Bundy Sunday Funday:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Some of them (the GT as long as it is well-kept) do. Plain Jane versions not so much.

I have mixed feelings about them. Back in the '90s, seeing a well-kept clean mid/late '80s GT hatch made me admire it, though I recognized they were not the greatest driving cars. They had a terrible reputation locally for being uncontrollable at speed in rain or winter conditions. I wasn't a huge fan of the '80s Camaros though. Given a choice today of either in similar fine condition, I'd take the Mustang.
    @mjfloyd1 The only people dying now are the ones not vaccinated, how can you argue with that????? :@

mj....do you actually have to work on these people who come to the hospital when they need your help?

edited July 2021

I don’t recall arguing with that. The vaccinated typically have mild symptoms and don’t require hospitalization.

Yes I do.

@Sandman6472 said:
    Q, what kind of business do you do?

I am in the medical communications field. Largely advertising drugs and devices direct to doctors, but some consumer, as well. New job will be less promotional and more … science-y. Medical training, medical journals, that sort of thing. Yes, I am odd man out being a gearhead in this business.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

Good luck with the new position!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

@fintail said:
    An 80s Mustang is either Troy's car:

Or a car for Bundy Sunday Funday:

Tough call… the four eye ‘Stangs are awesome.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

mjfloyd1 said:

I don’t recall arguing with that. The vaccinated typically have mild symptoms and don’t require hospitalization.

Yes I do.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you mjf would argue with that, I mean people in general. The ones they show on the news every night lying in a hospital bed unable to breath, saying they wish they had got the vaccine.

tjc78 said:

Good luck with the new position!

+1 for sure!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662

Another flag for “Abuse”- it’s extremely encouraging to know I’m not losing my touch.

What the heck did you do now?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

mjfloyd1 said:

Anybody want my job for the next uptick? I’m willing to train. Malpractice insurance is relatively cheap….

Don’t move to NY. Some docs pay over $350k a year here.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

@qbrozen Did you try to find the ugliest view of a RAV4 as possible, with its snout protruding all out of proportion to the real vehicle....this one makes it look better;

@ab348 I tried to find a similar SUV at a comparable price but most range from mid $20s to mid $30s. The Trailblazer starts at $21000 but that one is only available in white and has hub caps. To get a decent one it will cost $26000. And then, what about after depreciation, which one will come out ahead as the better buy overall?

The Volvo & the Jeep look better overall, but not ideal...in that segment I prefer a Tiguan

Personally, I think all SUVs are ugly. I would only buy one for utilitarian purposes. My Kia isn’t really a SUV but I think it’s ugly as sin. It just happened to fit some criteria that my other vehicles didn’t.

driver100 said:

Personally, I think all SUVs are ugly. I would only buy one for utilitarian purposes. My Kia isn’t really a SUV but I think it’s ugly as sin. It just happened to fit some criteria that my other vehicles didn’t.
    I agree, my last SUV was a 2004 X3, I needed an SUV for work. To me SUVs are work horses. Car = Fun.

Sometimes you hit gold changing jobs. Before I retired I handled legal affairs for my employer. We primarily used outside counsel for any lawsuits and litigation, but also had a govt lawyer assigned to us for legislative matters. There were a series of them over the years, a few of them good, but the majority of them pretty mediocre. I always figured that if they were any good as lawyers they would be in a law firm making big bucks, so the ones that stayed with govt were there for a reason.

For a year or so we had 2 govt lawyers assigned to us as a team, a senior counsel and a more junior lawyer. The guy who was senior was pretty confident but never impressed me much with his knowledge or advice, and I tended to use the younger lawyer who was paired with him, as she was always available to talk and gave better advice. Eventually both were reassigned and I didn't miss the senior guy.

I forgot all about him until yesterday when I was looking at an annual report for the govt agency that administers my pension along with those of about 60,000 others. The senior lawyer I had is now the CEO of that place. How he got the job beats me as what he would know about finance would have fit on the head of a pin when I worked with him. Maybe he wrote legislation for them back then, I don't know. What stunned me was the statement of his compensation: well over $400K a year. Man, talk about someone hitting it rich for reasons other than talent. This is in a place where our Premier (i.e. Governor) is regularly castigated in the press for making too much money at $180K a year, where heads of huge govt departments top out at around $220K/year, and the most well-compensated doctor in govt service makes $320K/year. Because the pension agency isn't a govt dept but instead is a corporation owned by govt they escape that kind of scrutiny. Jackpot. It galls me to see that guy making that kind of money given my experience with him.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

@oldfarmer50 said:
    What the heck did you do now?

You’ve got mail…

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@qbrozen said:
    Oh boy. It has been a minute but gotta switch jobs. Started interview process this past Monday and already have an offer. Can’t recall ever getting a job so fast at this career level. Should be interesting. They are a totally office-agnostic outfit. My to-be boss just so happens to live in NJ, though.

Good luck, Q! Hope everything works out for you - you’re a very intelligent guy who deserves this opportunity! 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328

@ab348 said:
    I always figured that if they were any good as lawyers they would be in a law firm making big bucks, so the ones that stayed with govt were there for a reason.

Sometimes the reason isn't what you think it is. The guy I know who is a government lawyer is so because working in a law firm is a lot more stressful and is a lot more time consuming than government work.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@driver100 said:
    Sorry, I didn't mean that you mjf would argue with that, I mean people in general. The ones they show on the news every night lying in a hospital bed unable to breath, saying they wish they had got the vaccine.

I knew you didn’t mean that I argued with it. I’m a smarta$$. One of my many character flaws… :)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited July 2021

@snakeweasel said:

@ab348 said:
    I always figured that if they were any good as lawyers they would be in a law firm making big bucks, so the ones that stayed with govt were there for a reason.

Sometimes the reason isn't what you think it is. The guy I know who is a government lawyer is so because working in a law firm is a lot more stressful and is a lot more time consuming than government work.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that in order to make serious money in large firms you have to work 70+ hour weeks for years before you make partner. If you work in a smaller firm or as a sole practitioner there’s overhead and fee collection to deal with. When I was judge I was essentially available 24/7 for emergencies, but I knew that going in. In my current gig I seldom get calls after hours but again that’s part of the job.
    In any case it beats the heck out of getting calls from clients at 7:30 pm on Christmas Eve complaining that their ex-spouse is 2 minutes late bringing the kids for visitation- and wanting me to call the judge and advise him of this horrible injustice.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2021

You’ve got mail…

can I get in on that action? lol.
    You didn't post a Scotty video, so I know it wasn't me.

qbrozen said:

You’ve got mail…

can I get in on that action? lol.
    You didn't post a Scotty video, so I know it wasn't me.
    RB just wanted to tell me what a fine fellow I was and how if I need a loan to buy the car of my dreams he’s good for it. :D

In return, I told him that if he was ever short of cash to buy lunch I’d dig deep and let him get anything on the Mickey D’s menu.