Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@corvette said:
    I sprung for a Carfax on the Prius to try to get a handle on its maintenance history. Nothing earth-shattering. Mostly oil changes and tire rotations. It got a new water pump early in its life. The last recorded engine air filter change was about 100k ago, which jibes with what I found when I replaced it:

Weirdly, the cabin air filter is brand new. There was also some work I know was done (catalytic converter and O2 sensors, hybrid battery rebuild) that didn't make it onto the report. I was mainly curious to see whether the ATF in the power split device had been changed. If there had been a history of changing it every 50-75k, I might be inclined to continue, but since there's not, I guess it will be a "lifetime fluid" for me.

Probably safer bet. I’ve read of problems without regular ATF changes and changing later on

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    mjfloyd1 said:

Probably safer bet. I’ve read of problems without regular ATF changes and changing later on

Same here, I think the risk is lower with the power split device because I don't think there are the same narrow passageways as a conventional automatic, and I'm guessing no clutch packs, but if it's gone 222k on the factory fill, why mess with success?
    andres3 said:

Okay, it's overfilled, but how do you get "1 quart" overfilled with no markers or indicators before/below 1 quart low and after/past/above full.

It's an approximation--it appears to be over the full mark by about the same distance between the full mark and the add mark, which is typically one quart. You are correct that, due to differences in the geometry of the components involved, it may or may not equate to one quart. Could be eight ounces over, could be two quarts.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

still one of the best deals is a 2021 TLX with tech for $442/mo, 1st only DAS. At least that is a nice car, for around pre-pandemic money (I figure anything within about 10% or $50/month more than before the market went nuts is pretty good).

The TLX tech at 442 a month is just slightly above 1% of the msrp of $43k.

The Elantra N-line is a pretty good deal, but since it has an msrp of about $25k a lease at $335 is obviously significantly above 1%.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

@corvette said:
    Same here, I think the risk is lower with the power split device because I don't think there are the same narrow passageways as a conventional automatic, and I'm guessing no clutch packs, but if it's gone 222k on the factory fill, why mess with success?

And if it fails, you can always blame it on the mispronunciation of the Hoosier battery repair dude :)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    I don't worry about that 1% rule all that much, because for the most part, I never really worried about MSRP! At this point especially, I am just comparing payment vs. how much I like the car. I would rather go to 1.2% for something I like better if the monthly nut is lower.

Have learned the hard way. No deal is good if you hate the car!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

@stickguy said:
    A Leaf SV tech for $320/month but only 2 years. $331 for a plug in hybrid Ioniq. At least those would be cheap to run!

still one of the best deals is a 2021 TLX with tech for $442/mo, 1st only DAS. At least that is a nice car, for around pre-pandemic money (I figure anything within about 10% or $50/month more than before the market went nuts is pretty good).

Wonder if I should have given up my Ioniq PHEV for $159/mo when I did. Oh well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@roadburner said:
    I don't know why, but I really like this ZL1 1LE.

It is in my color. Love it.
    I agree the wing would have to go, though.
    Unfortunately, it is priced appropriately. Ouch.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    mjfloyd1 said:

Dipstick

Well, depending on the shape of the oil pan and lower end of the engine. . .

Oh well, never mind.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Gee, with all the news of new car availability/pricing, I'm feeling a little better about the deal on the A7e!

Showed the LF a '17 MB SL450 in white; that she liked, thought it more feminine than the '18 black one (same interior) which was $6k less. And, not feminine enough.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    mjfloyd1 said:

Dipstick

Now don't be calling people names! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2021
    So after trusting the sealed unit in my 2006 V70 for 192K, the tranny in a 2005 Volvo doesn't scare me, and the XC70 over on carsandbids hasn't been bid beyond my sensibilities... if I had room for a 3rd in my driveway I would have a bid in on it by now.

It's still tempting in that I could Carvana the RDX, and the equity could put the XC70 in my driveway with enough left for the first couple semi-substantial fixes (and would-be payments being saved toward the next). But then there's the matter of having a 16 year old car with 103K as my DD.

I have a top number in mind. Am I completely crazy?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

@qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

The wing is a bit OTT, but it does add 300 pounds of downforce at 150 mph.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    A3 is in the shop and should be done later this afternoon. Next up will be new sneakers.
    Time to replace the stove/oven, it's 34 years old and original to the house. Need to do some homework and then take a ride over to Lowe's to see what the got. Wish she would've let me know when they had their Memorial Day or July 4th Day sale going. Might just scope hings out and get one during the Labor Day Sale. The automatic cleaner part hasn't worked for like 13 years already and the heating elements have both been changed a few times each. A new unit is definitely in order here!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    Please help a member out.

On the subject of Fox body Mustangs ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Time to replace the stove/oven, it's 34 years old and original to the house. Need to do some homework and then take a ride over to Lowe's to see what the got.

General advice is to be wary of Samsung and LG kitchen appliances that are the favorites of the big box stores. Some are fine but others are made mostly to look good in the store.

ronsteve said:

So after trusting the sealed unit in my 2006 V70 for 192K, the tranny in a 2005 Volvo doesn't scare me, and the XC70 over on carsandbids hasn't been bid beyond my sensibilities... if I had room for a 3rd in my driveway I would have a bid in on it by now.

It's still tempting in that I could Carvana the RDX, and the equity could put the XC70 in my driveway with enough left for the first couple semi-substantial fixes (and would-be payments being saved toward the next). But then there's the matter of having a 16 year old car with 103K as my DD.

Yes.
    But aren't we all?

We're looking at Whirlpool since all the other appliances in the house are that brand. Have heard some horror stories about both those brands you mentioned above so not even going to look at those. The time has come for a new unit and we're ready to purchase.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    ab348 said:

General advice is to be wary of Samsung and LG kitchen appliances that are the favorites of the big box stores. Some are fine but others are made mostly to look good in the store.

I second that. The major, regional applicance repair group that has serviced out Maytag and Whirlpool appliances have to a man said they have major problems with parts on those brands. They recommend Whirlpool and Maytag because of ease of finding repair techs and getting the parts.

Also visit Lowes and talk to the salesfolks who have been there about when the next sale is coming that will include the appliances you want. They may make you a deal that is good enough to avoid waiting.

I took out the 3-year warranty on the washer dryer we bought 2 years ago. That extends the 1-year from the company with Lowes coverage. Earlier we had bought 5-year coverage on the stove and refrigerator when buying 4 appliances for the kitchen. I figured the microwave and dishwasher I'd just replace if there were problems I couldn't fix. I can replace them myself.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Bad news on the A3! Needs a new water pump and a thermostat. Problem is with this car, some years it came as one whole unit according to the local Audi store where we bought it and where my guy called. Some years, they came as a separate unit and they won't know that until they break it all down as the vin # is of no help here. Final price will be decided on which part is needed plus how much labor to do it all. Won't be done till late tomorrow it seems.
    I'll be dropping my vehicle off once we get the work minivan and then we'll pick it up after we're finished so I can get home. Just glad we didn't do this on a Friday where we'd have no vehicle for a few days. Oh well, such is life sometimes and am starting to think that a lease in the family might not be such a bad idea going forward. Or both of us just going back to "cheap to keep" vehicles might just be what we do going forward. But these parts can go out on any make & model, it's just that both of our German vehicles have had this same issue with mine being under warranty by just 50 or so miles and was covered under warranty. This one is on us!
    But, we like the vehicle and with just under 64K on the clock, we'll fix it and hope for better luck in the future. Keep it at least another couple of years methinks.

Going to turn into a very expensive couple of weeks with the car and a new oven/stove happening. But in life, seems we go from one thing to another and we'll deal with it.

Huh? How can they not tell whether the water pump and thermostat are a single unit with a very quick visual inspection?

edited July 2021

What kind of car does Whirlpool make?

The Whirlpool Agitator. I believe there is one in So Cal too :)
    edited July 2021

I’d replace the thermostat if I was replacing the water pump anyway. Preventative maintenance.

Honda V6 has timing belt every 105k miles. I changed it and water pump and t stat and coolant and serpentine belt

Cheap insurance rather than another one tear down to replace something while you are right there anyway.

I've also had an alternator go bad on a MDX with less than 60K miles. Sometimes you just get a bad one.

Your water pump is pretty taxed in south FL too.

@qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

The wing is a bit OTT, but it does add 300 pounds of downforce at 150 mph.

I don't often find myself going 150 mph in my daily driver. Taking the wing off would require paintwork too unless you just shove in some color matched bumper plugs.

Bad news on the A3! Needs a new water pump and a thermostat. Problem is with this car, some years it came as one whole unit according to the local Audi store where we bought it and where my guy called. Some years, they came as a separate unit and they won't know that until they break it all down as the vin # is of no help here. Final price will be decided on which part is needed plus how much labor to do it all. Won't be done till late tomorrow it seems.

Seems to be a well-known issue on these:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/842684-2015-A3-Water-Pump

Oh well, such is life sometimes and am starting to think that a lease in the family might not be such a bad idea going forward. Or both of us just going back to "cheap to keep" vehicles might just be what we do going forward. But these parts can go out on any make & model, it's just that both of our German vehicles have had this same issue with mine being under warranty by just 50 or so miles and was covered under warranty. This one is on us!
    But, we like the vehicle and with just under 64K on the clock, we'll fix it and hope for better luck in the future. Keep it at least another couple of years methinks.

"Cheap to keep" is all in one's perception. Cars are mechanical devices and any of them can break over time. Some are more reliable than others but you can't go by that one factor alone. You drive it every day and you want something that feels right to you. As for a lease, spending, say, $400 a month forever might be a false economy. If you do them right you never run out of warranty, which is good, but that comes with a cost too. Using the cheap to keep philosophy, you would buy a 3 year-old Toyota that was only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady. But would you enjoy driving that?

Some years, they came as a separate unit and they won't know that until they break it all down as the vin # is of no help here. Final price will be decided on which part is needed plus how much labor to do it all.

Without reading more, I'm kind of confused how any of this would make a difference. Engine is the same, yes? So tear down should be the same between the two. And since both items are getting replaced either way, why should it matter if they are mated or not? On FCPEuro, looks like the single unit is maybe $50 more than the separated units. Just not seeing how that is going to make a drastic difference in that bill. "Let's see, mr Sandy, that's either $750 or $800, but don't get your hopes up!"

I thought the issue was that until they pulled it apart, would not know which part to get. And of course the $ difference, but as you said, that is an easy range to give.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541
    ab348 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Dipstick

Now don't be calling people names! :D
    For some that would be a complement.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

I was just trying to come up with a pertinent one word answer :)

I just want the vehicle fixed at this point, fix it and ten tell me how much I owe ya. But I did appreciate his explaining to me about what's going on. Again, since I hate any kind of vehicular drama, just want it fixed. Then, we'll move on to some new sneakers and be done with it all. As we discussed earlier, I don't want a phone call next week when I'm up in West Palm Beach and she's home that her tire is flat in the garage. You've known for some time now that we had a coolant leak and need new tires. One issue is being taken care of now, after my insisting, and the other is just waiting to happen. So just call the tire store and order the tires so I can take it in to be mounted & balanced. Then we'll be done and can move on. End of story.
    I know on the Golf, I've run over a couple of nails this past year and have needed new tires as they were both not repairable. Since I've had the road hazard policy on both, just cost me a small fee plus the new road hazard policy and I'm back on the road again. Stuff like this happens and we must deal with it. She needs two, maybe three new tires, so just get it done.

edited July 2021
    if you need that many tires IMO it is foolish to not replace all 4.

I must be a tough guy. If I pointed out repeatedly they needed to be replaced and was ignored, I would tell her to deal with her own flat! Though in our house, the wife has no interest in doing anything car related. I just take it and get stuff done when I think it needs it. and make sure it has gas. She just gets in and drives!

Totally agree, I'd just as soon replace all four and be done with it. But, she's a bit stubborn so I just deal with it. But agree with ya, totally. Just want it all done already.

Still having back spasms and have informed the other half that my days are numbered at the other job. A shame really but doing both is just too much for my spine and silly that I'm working over 40 hours to be honest. Will shoot for the end of August at this point to be my last day. We discussed this on the way to dinner tonight and she thinks I need to hang on a bit longer, at least till the end of the year. Said I'd think it over and I am doing just that. But, this week has been a tough one pain wise, and will definitely be leaving. One job is enough and around thirty hours is what my body can handle. These past eight years have shown me that, anything more and my back let's me know in no uncertain terms! Like it's been doing since Monday night.

ronsteve said:

Since you asked…probably. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I've taken on yet another project. My neighbor's self-propelled Toro push mower died. She already bought a new battery powered one, but this way she could sell it as running or have a spare. Replaced the (overfilled and black) oil and the fouled spark plug, and it fired right up, albeit with a puff of smoke. Now I'm discovering that she bent the rear wheel supports a long time ago. Long enough that the rear wheels are worn on the edges and need to be replaced for it to move easily. Too bad Hunter doesn't make an alignment rack for mowers.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

Wow on that price. I suppose that’s like the equivalent of something like a Mustang GT500?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    corvette said:

I sprung for a Carfax on the Prius to try to get a handle on its maintenance history. Nothing earth-shattering. Mostly oil changes and tire rotations. It got a new water pump early in its life. The last recorded engine air filter change was about 100k ago, which jibes with what I found when I replaced it:

Weirdly, the cabin air filter is brand new. There was also some work I know was done (catalytic converter and O2 sensors, hybrid battery rebuild) that didn't make it onto the report. I was mainly curious to see whether the ATF in the power split device had been changed. If there had been a history of changing it every 50-75k, I might be inclined to continue, but since there's not, I guess it will be a "lifetime fluid" for me.

On a whim I changed the air filters on my son’s 2010 Fusion and on my Sebring. The Fusion’s was pretty much what I expected but the Sebring’s air box was almost completely filled with a mouse nest and the filter was caked with crud. To be honest I don’t know how the car was still running. Lesson learned.

Maybe I should look at the filter on the old cargo van too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

On a whim I changed the air filters on my son’s 2010 Fusion and on my Sebring. The Fusion’s was pretty much what I expected but the Sebring’s air box was almost completely filled with a mouse nest and the filter was caked with crud. To be honest I don’t know how the car was still running. Lesson learned.

Maybe I should look at the filter on the old cargo van too.
    Good idea. Those mice have lots of relatives. :s

jmonroe
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417

Returned from our trip to the NJ Shore. My parents rented a place in Seaside Park for 2 weeks. They invited us down to stay with them this past Monday through today. The weather Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday was absolutely perfect. We had a great time. Saw lots of cool cars & every possible permutation of Jeep Wrangler available. In the current JL Body Style, the Willys is still my favorite trim. I saw a Sarge Green with the power top and body colored hard top that looked great. There was also a 4XE Sahara in Sting Grey with body colored hard top & black wheels that I liked a lot.

I love the flat roads and bike lanes they have. I rode 12 miles with my wife on Tuesday and 20 miles with my Dad yesterday.

Seaside Park isn’t too far. Took us 2 hours 10 minutes to get there and about 2 1/2 hours to get back to CT this afternoon.

The Pilot did its job once again. We folded the 3rd row to maximize our cargo space and sat my kids (14, 12, 9) across the 2nd row. Bikes were on my 10 year old Thule hitch mounted bike rack. 3 nights we went out to dinner, I was able to put my 2 sons in the 3rd Row. My wife, mom, & daughter in the middle row. Dad rode shot gun.

I’m really going to have to think hard about replacing the Pilot. The kids have said they think 2nd row captain’s chairs might be the way to go since they are all getting older. That gives me a 6 seater. Granted I use the 7th seat a Total of 5 x a year max. We shall see what happens.

The not so good news. I came home and the house was hot. 80 degrees. Ugh. I can hear the air handler, but the compressor outside isn’t running. I go downstairs and check the breaker. It’s popped. I change the filter, reset the breaker, & still nothing. Going to call the AC company tomorrow AM.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I had the same type of ac issue. Thankfully just a capacitor

I just had that done a month ago. warm inside, fan was spinning on the unit but no cold air. Capacitor weak so a new on put in and good to go.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    x3 on the capacitor. Easy and relatively cheap fix.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417

That’s what I was thinking. I swear I’ve had the capacitor replaced in the past 5 years. I remember it being not that bad of a service call. Thanks for the help though. I’ll keep you guys in the loop.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yikes, @nyccarguy! Is it a single unit for your whole house, or do you still have some cooling?

@Sandman6472 said:
    Still having back spasms and have informed the other half that my days are numbered at the other job. A shame really but doing both is just too much for my spine and silly that I'm working over 40 hours to be honest. Will shoot for the end of August at this point to be my last day. We discussed this on the way to dinner tonight and she thinks I need to hang on a bit longer, at least till the end of the year. Said I'd think it over and I am doing just that. But, this week has been a tough one pain wise, and will definitely be leaving. One job is enough and around thirty hours is what my body can handle. These past eight years have shown me that, anything more and my back let's me know in no uncertain terms! Like it's been doing since Monday night.

Can you request they not put you in a Camry anymore and see how that pans out?

@nyccarguy said:
    Returned from our trip to the NJ Shore. My parents rented a place in Seaside Park for 2 weeks. They invited us down to stay with them this past Monday through today. The weather Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday was absolutely perfect. We had a great time. Saw lots of cool cars & every possible permutation of Jeep Wrangler available. In the current JL Body Style, the Willys is still my favorite trim. I saw a Sarge Green with the power top and body colored hard top that looked great. There was also a 4XE Sahara in Sting Grey with body colored hard top & black wheels that I liked a lot.

I love the flat roads and bike lanes they have. I rode 12 miles with my wife on Tuesday and 20 miles with my Dad yesterday.

Seaside Park isn’t too far. Took us 2 hours 10 minutes to get there and about 2 1/2 hours to get back to CT this afternoon.

The Pilot did its job once again. We folded the 3rd row to maximize our cargo space and sat my kids (14, 12, 9) across the 2nd row. Bikes were on my 10 year old Thule hitch mounted bike rack. 3 nights we went out to dinner, I was able to put my 2 sons in the 3rd Row. My wife, mom, & daughter in the middle row. Dad rode shot gun.

I’m really going to have to think hard about replacing the Pilot. The kids have said they think 2nd row captain’s chairs might be the way to go since they are all getting older. That gives me a 6 seater. Granted I use the 7th seat a Total of 5 x a year max. We shall see what happens.

The not so good news. I came home and the house was hot. 80 degrees. Ugh. I can hear the air handler, but the compressor outside isn’t running. I go downstairs and check the breaker. It’s popped. I change the filter, reset the breaker, & still nothing. Going to call the AC company tomorrow AM.

I grew up just over the bridge from Seaside. Spent many high school summer evenings there. But now I just can’t bring myself to go. Last time had to be just before or just after that damned MTV show came along and ruined it. We take the kids to a different Jersey boardwalk that I won’t disclose for fear of someone making a show about it. Lol.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347

Wow on that price. I suppose that’s like the equivalent of something like a Mustang GT500?
    Yes, only faster.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive