Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

"One of the pitches we hear often on the switch to EV ownership is that electric vehicles are cheaper to maintain. But, as we close in on 40,000 miles in a Tesla Model 3, the actual savings in service costs is turning out to be quite minimal.

Sure, the Model 3 needs no oil changes, which in theory should save us significant cost. However, the Model 3's requirement that we lubricate the brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles—something specified for areas that use road salt in the winter months—has cost nearly as much, totaling $432 for three such services thus far, which often also include a tire rotation. Although that's less than the $539 we spent on maintenance for our BMW M340i....

By 30,000 miles, the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were shot. We often get twice as many miles on all-season tires, but rapid tire wear is something that's a common topic on Model 3 owner's forums. At least part of the issue is that the Tesla version of these tires start with 1.5 32nds of an inch less tread depth than the off-the-shelf MXM4s. Although it might not sound like much, that's 20 percent less usable tread depth.

We have just replaced those with the other factory Model 3 fitment, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires, and we look forward to seeing how much these might improve braking and cornering performance during our final test session at 40,000 miles. A side benefit is that the summer tires were no more expensive than the all-seasons, but a still substantial $1157 has been added to our normal wear tally."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@corvette said:
    Yikes, @nyccarguy! Is it a single unit for your whole house, or do you still have some cooling?

We’ve got one 4 ton unit cooling out home. Luckily, it rained a lot here today. We cranked open the windows and have ceiling fans in all 3 bedrooms. It’s not too bad in here right now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:
    Returned from our trip to the NJ Shore. My parents rented a place in Seaside Park for 2 weeks. They invited us down to stay with them this past Monday through today. The weather Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday was absolutely perfect. We had a great time. Saw lots of cool cars & every possible permutation of Jeep Wrangler available. In the current JL Body Style, the Willys is still my favorite trim. I saw a Sarge Green with the power top and body colored hard top that looked great. There was also a 4XE Sahara in Sting Grey with body colored hard top & black wheels that I liked a lot.

I love the flat roads and bike lanes they have. I rode 12 miles with my wife on Tuesday and 20 miles with my Dad yesterday.

Seaside Park isn’t too far. Took us 2 hours 10 minutes to get there and about 2 1/2 hours to get back to CT this afternoon.

The Pilot did its job once again. We folded the 3rd row to maximize our cargo space and sat my kids (14, 12, 9) across the 2nd row. Bikes were on my 10 year old Thule hitch mounted bike rack. 3 nights we went out to dinner, I was able to put my 2 sons in the 3rd Row. My wife, mom, & daughter in the middle row. Dad rode shot gun.

I’m really going to have to think hard about replacing the Pilot. The kids have said they think 2nd row captain’s chairs might be the way to go since they are all getting older. That gives me a 6 seater. Granted I use the 7th seat a Total of 5 x a year max. We shall see what happens.

The not so good news. I came home and the house was hot. 80 degrees. Ugh. I can hear the air handler, but the compressor outside isn’t running. I go downstairs and check the breaker. It’s popped. I change the filter, reset the breaker, & still nothing. Going to call the AC company tomorrow AM.

I grew up just over the bridge from Seaside. Spent many high school summer evenings there. But now I just can’t bring myself to go. Last time had to be just before or just after that damned MTV show came along and ruined it. We take the kids to a different Jersey boardwalk that I won’t disclose for fear of someone making a show about it. Lol.

There is a certain element walking around on the boardwalk for sure. Great people watching. My parents rented this house that is a block & a half from the beach (30 Stockton Avenue). The people that own the home also run “Fun Town Beach” and they gave my parents a cabana as part of their rental. The beach is beautiful. The water was blue. They have fire works every Wednesday night. I’m sure there are different beaches and boardwalks that are nicer too. I can only imagine what The Jersey Shore fame has done to Seaside.

Was the place you took your Charger to off the GSP Exit 82A on the right?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

When I had work done on my Charger? No, that place was in Monroe, nowhere near the parkway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

Sucks about the water pump Sandy.

My cars are both very sad right now. The XC is absolutely disgusting in and out (my standards, probably clean to some) from running back and forth to the shore moving out. It also has the wife damage I need to get fixed and I think the rotors are warped (5500 miles).

The S60 is due for yearly service, and is sitting in the garage with a cracked windshield.

I see light at the end of the tunnel at least. “Closed” on the trailer last night. New owner is in. What a nightmare. Campground had a new manager who was incompetent and really gave me a problem. Apparently I wasn’t the only one and now she is gone. New person fast tracked the lot transfer and all is good.

Just waiting on appraisal to come back for the shore house. If all goes well for that we close on the 30th, mortgage is approved. Had the home inspection done, no surprises except we are going after them for a new AC unit (which we knew when we put the offer in).

Looking forward to doing basically nothing this weekend (yeah, right)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    The Pilot is a champ when it comes to roominess and usability. When we used to travel to FL to visit my SIL, our two golden doodles rested in the middle row and my daughter was comfortable in the third row, and we still had enough room for our luggage. It's nice that the third row has a/c vents as well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    qbrozen said:

When I had work done on my Charger? No, that place was in Monroe, nowhere near the parkway.

I thought that town only had a Genesis dealership. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Sorry, actually Jamesburg. Platt's Performance. I'm sure your town has just the Genesis dealership. And maybe only 1 car in stock.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Sorry, actually Jamesburg. Platt's Performance. I'm sure your town has just the Genesis dealership. And maybe only 1 car in stock.
    That explains why my dealer sends me more emails than before the pandemic that they WANT my car because there are lots of people wanting a low mileage well maintained car. I’ve even gotten emails from other dealerships than NEED my car. I’m beginning to think they’re not just blowing smoke this time.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    mjfloyd1 said:
    I bought my last used car in June of 2020 and since then prices have been on the uptick. I have a couple of vehicles I’d like to replace sometime in the future but not in this market. Fortunately, I don’t need to buy soon.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

The increase in price/% is incredible. When I bought the Passat last Oct, I was hesitant as prices were already increasing yet the net difference between my trade (Accord) and the Passat was reasonable. I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I’m only looking at coupes with at least 400 hp and I’m finding that prices of 1 or 2 year old used models are usually going for a few thousand more than the equivalent new model.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Pop over to BaT. 95 Supra Turbo 6 spd 7k miles is at 185k

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    The F & F movie car sold for about 500k, so probably a lot of upside and that real Supra.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited July 2021
    Just broke 200k

Edit: sold for 201k.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@au1994 - still in awaiting parts on both 4xe

mjfloyd1 said:

@au1994 - still in awaiting parts on both 4xe

Me too…Gotta be soon I would think.

I’m only looking at coupes with at least 400 hp and I’m finding that prices of 1 or 2 year old used models are usually going for a few thousand more than the equivalent new model.

Used more than new? I can’t figure that. Could it be there’s such a shortage of new that people are willing to pay more to get something?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

au1994 said:

Just broke 200k

DAMN, I thought for sure I was gonna get it when I bid 195K at 2:25 PM. :@

jmonroe
    Well maybe the winning bidder won’t follow through :smile:

Speaking of rear wings.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Installed a Battery Tender quick connect on the Prius this afternoon and have the 12v battery charging right now. As you'd expect in a high-performance, driver-oriented vehicle, the 12v battery is in the trunk for better weight distribution. I attached the quick connect to the jump terminal under the hood.
    "As you'd expect in a high-performance, driver-oriented vehicle, the 12v battery is in the trunk for better weight distribution." Very convincing. :D

au1994 said:

Well maybe the winning bidder won’t follow through :smile:

How I wish. :D

jmonroe
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

Used more than new? I can’t figure that. Could it be there’s such a shortage of new that people are willing to pay more to get something?
    When I traded in my Model3 for the Defender they had it on their used car lot two days later and priced it $3,500 over the original MSRP. A week later it was sold.

@corvette said:
    Installed a Battery Tender quick connect on the Prius this afternoon and have the 12v battery charging right now. As you'd expect in a high-performance, driver-oriented vehicle, the 12v battery is in the trunk for better weight distribution. I attached the quick connect to the jump terminal under the hood.

That explains the torque steer :)

It's insane. I've found that to be the case with Bullitt Mustangs, M2 Comps, and Supras.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

Just broke 200k

jmonroe
    Don’t worry, there’s a bridge down in Brooklyn you can still bid on.

Review after a year of owning a ZL1 ILE. 1LE doesn't have magneride suspension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4cnIRIZf4

jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

Just broke 200k

jmonroe
    Don’t worry, there’s a bridge down in Brooklyn you can still bid on.
    I know. Problem is that every time I decide to buy it when it’s up for sale there has to be over a thousand folks who claim they are the real owner and they have the papers to prove it. Thanks for the suggestion but I’ll stick to cars. :s

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited July 2021
    Well, there's always the prototype Brooklyn bridge in Covington (KY), the Roebling Bridge.
    EDITED: misspelled Roebling.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Roebling

It's pretty, too!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited July 2021
    Thanks. It is Roebling. I typed that wrong, knowing it was an umlaut Röbling Americanized as Roebling. John Augustus Roebling (born Johann August Röbling
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Roebling

I always wanted to walk across that bridge. Guess that's on my bucket list.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@Sandman6472 what came of the A3 repair?

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

Well, there's always the prototype Brooklyn bridge in Covington (KY), the Roebling Bridge.
    EDITED: misspelled Roebling.

Nice pic!

I have walked across that bridge. In fact, I don't think they've allowed cars or trucks to go on it for at least a few years.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Finished the last of several quick mechanical glances on the Prius. CV boots are bone dry, couldn't get a look at the entire undercarriage because of the low ground clearance, but didn't see any leaks. Shocks are dry, front brakes about 50%, tires about 50%. The only issue I found is that the rubber boot on one of the sway bar end links is torn and leaking. I'm assuming from the looks of it that's something that will start to make noise before it completely fails? Any thoughts? I think it's about a $12 part, I may go on and replace it if I get a set of jack stands and a hydraulic jack.
    edited July 2021
    I emailed a friend who works at BMW NA asking if there is any chance the 128ti will make it stateside. In Europe it's priced under the GTI, and some writers like it better. Hope springs eternal...

In Europe it's priced under the GTI...

It looks great, but that part would never happen in the US.
    From a Ford Maverick preview event:

Communicato
    r

I really hope they fix that before launch. The photos look like you lose some of the storage area under the rear seat with the hybrid powertrain--have to put the batteries somewhere. The orange stitching on the fabric of the XLT looks really snazzy.
    corvette said:

In Europe it's priced under the GTI...

Here's the thing that gripes me; BMW NA imports the 2 Series Gran Coupe and both the media and the public find it less than desirable. The 128ti would compete in a segment that still has a little life in it(Civic Si/Type R, GTI, Veloster N) and has been ignored by the other luxury/premium automakers.

@roadburner said:
    Here's the thing that gripes me; BMW NA imports the 2 Series Gran Coupe and both the media and the public find it less than desirable. The 128ti would compete in a segment that still has a little life in it(Civic Si/Type R, GTI, Veloster N) and has been ignored by the other luxury/premium automakers.

Both they and MB have done it before and overpriced them to where they fail. Then claim it is our fault and americans don’t want hatchbacks.

@imidazol97 said:
    Thanks. It is Roebling. I typed that wrong, knowing it was an umlaut Röbling Americanized as Roebling. John Augustus Roebling (born Johann August Röbling
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Roebling

I always wanted to walk across that bridge. Guess that's on my bucket list.

That ain’t gonna happen. I bought that bridge when the Brooklyn Bridge deal didn’t work and I don’t allow foot traffic.

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

Both they and MB have done it before and overpriced them to where they fail. Then claim it is our fault and americans don’t want hatchbacks.

Fiesta
    Focus
    Cruze

The list of failed hatchbacks in the last 5-7 years is probably longer than that.

Kinda like the folks who incessantly whinge for a brown, diesel, manual wagon. Seems like there are 10,000 of them on the interwebs, but probably only a few hundred sales.

Of course, you can always move somewhere where it's available!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@corvette said:
    Finished the last of several quick mechanical glances on the Prius. CV boots are bone dry, couldn't get a look at the entire undercarriage because of the low ground clearance, but didn't see any leaks. Shocks are dry, front brakes about 50%, tires about 50%. The only issue I found is that the rubber boot on one of the sway bar end links is torn and leaking. I'm assuming from the looks of it that's something that will start to make noise before it completely fails? Any thoughts? I think it's about a $12 part, I may go on and replace it if I get a set of jack stands and a hydraulic jack.

Suggestion:

My experience with those link bushings on GM cars back in the 60’s through 80’s is that when one side goes bad the other side isn’t too far behind. Therefore, since those parts are relatively cheap, while you’re under there, you might as well get yourself comfortable and do both sides.

jmonroe

@corvette said:

If it isn’t an SUV, SAV, or CUV, BMW isn’t going to spend the money to bring it to this market no matter how well it competes with the cars you mentioned. Never mind the fact that it won’t compete price wise with the Civic Type R, GTI, or Veloster N

I had a little time this morning. I dropped my 12 year old at baseball practice, my wife at the beach, then went to get the Pilot washed. After I got the Pilot washed, I gassed it up. The gas station was right across from the Mazda Dealer which is down the street from the Toyota dealer. I took a look on the Mazda lot. The CX9 is way smaller than our Pilot. Next it was off to the Toyota dealer. I’m walking the lot, checking out the used (Automatic) 2005ish Boxster S, and the Highlander. I’m approached by a very attractive sales woman who asks if there is anything she can do for me. “Sure, can you open up a Highlander for me to see how much room is inside?” No problem. She grabs the keys and I open the hatch. That’s a no go too. The 3rd row and cargo area are just too small for our uses.

I’m going to have to re-evaluate my needs for the eventual Pilot replacement.

Just as a side note, the Toyota Dealer had (3) RAV 4 Prime SE. $41K sticker price. LED headlights, Heated Cloth Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, power tailgate and moonroof as well as adaptive cruise. The gas engine is rated at 38 mpg by itself. I overheard another salesperson talking to a customer about it. Rated for 40 miles of electric only (depending on how you drive). Charges in 5 hours on a standard 120 volt outlet. Impressive.

@Michaell said:
    Fiesta
    Focus
    Cruze

The list of failed hatchbacks in the last 5-7 years is probably longer than that.

Kinda like the folks who incessantly whinge for a brown, diesel, manual wagon. Seems like there are 10,000 of them on the interwebs, but probably only a few hundred sales.

Sure. But when they are GOOD and reasonable, it works. Golf is still here, mazda3 hatch has always done well, the Prius has never had an issue. So if it is garbage or expensive, it fails. Not because it is a hatch.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    qbrozen said:

@Michaell said:

Fiesta

Focus

Cruze

Sure. But when they are GOOD and reasonable, it works. Golf is still here, mazda3 hatch has always done well, the Prius has never had an issue. So if it is garbage or expensive, it fails. Not because it is a hatch.

Golf is gone - just the GTI and R for the next iteration.

Agree with you on the 3, but I prefer the sedan.

I remember when the hatch body style was the loss leader - Toyota Starlet, Renault Le Car, etc.

I really enjoyed the ‘03 Focus hatch we had - 3 pedals and the better engine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4