Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    abacomike said:

PET-Scan came back negative for cancer recurrence or spread. Great news. Almost 5 years cancer-free since liver resection which is attributable to God and all the prayers offered on my behalf.

I was originally told by the surgeon and my oncologist that recurrence of this type of cancer within 5 years is 75% of all cases. That I have not had a recurrence is a miracle!

Tremendous news Mike!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@abacomike said:
    PET-Scan came back negative for cancer recurrence or spread. Great news. Almost 5 years cancer-free since liver resection which is attributable to God and all the prayers offered on my behalf.

I was originally told by the surgeon and my oncologist that recurrence of this type of cancer within 5 years is 75% of all cases. That I have not had a recurrence is a miracle!

Great news @Mike.

Like I’ve said before, stick with us; we’ll pull you through your maladies.

Good luck but don’t push it. :(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited August 2021
    Congrats @abacomike ! Indeed, great news for you.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2021
    ab348 said:

Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

Quite the debris field. Photos via The Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

Wheel has a blue oval in the middle: Ford.

Hydroplaning as the cause implies that the driver was otherwise going at a safe speed at which the car was controllable on the wet pavement. My definition involves a depth of water that the tires and the weight on them can't overcome and the tire is lifted from contact with the road as it tries to push the water sideways from in front of the tire.

The road in this case looks perfectly well sloped with a crown and a grade that would disspiate normal rainfall at a rapid rate, avoid the few inches of water that often can lift a tire when hit about 40 mph or so.

This is a case of just too fast for conditions. Tires couldn't hold on wet pavement.

Then the driver will try to say there must have been oil on the surface which is brought up by the early part of a rain... same result.

The tire tread does not look like a strong rain traction tire to my eye.

Are those half worn as well?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@ab348 said:
    This just happened here today on what is supposed to be a fairly low-speed street. The devastation is quite something. Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

^^^ That's the engine in the road. Quite the debris field. Photos via The Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

WOW, like the man said, “when it’s not your time, it’s not you time”.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Yes, that is indeed a Ford emblem on the wheel.

In the first set of pics, I thought it was a sedan. Can see now it is an SUV. An Escape, I guess. Aptly named in this case.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@ab348 said:
    ^^^ That'll have them rolling in the aisles.

I was. :D

jmonroe

@ab348 said:
    Further intelligence from the scene now says this is a Ford.

I coulda told you that. Hyundai products have brakes.

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    The Escape was never highly rated in crash testing, but in the real world it looks like it does ok.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    edited August 2021
    A little of both, depending on the winds of the day. A bit smoky again this morning, but today might be the first in a trend of slightly less hot days.

IIRC, in a year, Spokane usually has one day at 100F or more, and 20 at 90F or more. Already I think we've hit 100 8 or 9 times, and 90 over 30 times.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

We've had off and on ashfall for the past week or so, and occasional AQI above 250. Today it was closer to 150, which seemed refreshing. Just slightly cooler than hell now that we are in an extreme drought and perhaps the hottest summer on record, too. Fall is going to be nice.

boomchek said:

So we cut our vacation a day short due to the unbearable wildfire smoke covering much of the province's interior. Wasn't so bad the first few days, got really bad after to the point where ash was visible on cars. Luckily the hotel didn't charge us for the extra night we originally booked even though we were way past checkout time.

On a plus note I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my Audi A7. Averaged 10L/100KM (23.5mpg) on the highway, over the 400km (250 mile) drive to our destination, mostly uphill, in sports mode, with my heavy foot, with occasional 80-90mph (130-140km/h) bursts when it was clear and safe to do so. By far my favorite highway cruiser I've owned. So effortless, comfortable, and quiet with great handling.

Ashes on the car.
    Picture of the lake, during the day with haze, and another one of the same lake and dock during clear sky when we visited last year.

Is it coming from our region or are you guys dealing with wildfires too?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Previous gen Escape, perhaps.

Must have been going well over 60 mph.
    ab348 said:

Further intelligence from the scene now says this is a Ford.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    News story locally says the driver was "an older gentleman" apparently going to work as a Commissionaire. Not sure if something equivalent exists in the US but here they are retired armed forces personnel who are employed as sort of a higher-class grade of security administrator/guard.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

News story locally says the driver was "an older gentleman" apparently going to work as a Commissionaire. Not sure if something equivalent exists in the US but here they are retired armed forces personnel who are employed as sort of a higher-class grade of security administrator/guard.

Hmm, sounds like unintended acceleration, a la Audi and Lexus but this time as a result of wearing wet shoes or perhaps he was startled by a big Canadian bear.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited August 2021
    bwia said:

2021 Buick Avista Luxury Sport Concept.

Is beauty only in eye of the beholder? Perhaps, but my eyes tell me this is a darn good looking car. Too bad, Buick ultimately decided not to make the Avista, shucks! Despite the interest, Buick restated it was a design study and as a result would not produce the Avista. Enjoy the two minute video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6mndVuRUs

I'd compare the type of car to an Audi A5....I like the smooth and simple lines of the Audi much more.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

@bwia said:
    Hmm, sounds like unintended acceleration, a la Audi and Lexus but this time as a result of wearing wet shoes or perhaps he was startled by a big Canadian bear.

Sounds like the classic “too fast for conditions”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

ab348 said:

This just happened here today on what is supposed to be a fairly low-speed street. The devastation is quite something. Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

^^^ That's the engine in the road. Quite the debris field. Photos via The Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

Uh, that looks like it took a lot of speed to cause that much damage.
    I'm sure the wet conditions were invisible and the weather conditions unknowable for the average reasonable motorist too.

How does one Hydroplane when it's dry out though, now that'll be the day?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    abacomike said:

That's great news, here's to more healthy years to come.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited August 2021
    ab348 said:

Wow, thank God that there were no serious injuries but wow.

ab348 said:

Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

Hydroplaning as the cause implies that the driver was otherwise going at a safe speed at which the car was controllable on the wet pavement. My definition involves a depth of water that the tires and the weight on them can't overcome and the tire is lifted from contact with the road as it tries to push the water sideways from in front of the tire.

The road in this case looks perfectly well sloped with a crown and a grade that would disspiate normal rainfall at a rapid rate, avoid the few inches of water that often can lift a tire when hit about 40 mph or so.

This is a case of just too fast for conditions. Tires couldn't hold on wet pavement.

Then the driver will try to say there must have been oil on the surface which is brought up by the early part of a rain... same result.

If he hydroplaned he wasn't going at a safe speed. And by the looks of the damage I can say he wasn't doing anywhere near the speed limit for that street. What would be the speed limit on a street like that? 50 KPH? The guy had to be going a lot faster than that.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,058

ab348 said:

If he hydroplaned he wasn't going at a safe speed. And by the looks of the damage I can say he wasn't doing anywhere near the speed limit for that street. What would be the speed limit on a street like that? 50 KPH? The guy had to be going a lot faster than that.
    In a neighborhood? Probably 40 kph (roughly 25 MPH).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    This article says a witness saw the car come around the corner at a high rate of speed, hit the pole, and then hit two other cars. There is a video too...kind of an amateur newscast.
    https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/news/driver-suffers-minor-injuries-in-single-vehicle-crash-in-halifax-100620432/
    One witness says most people don't obey the 50 speed limit, assume 50 kms which is about 30 mph.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    abacomike said:

The power of prayer from all your Edmunds buddies.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

This article says a witness saw the car come around the corner at a high rate of speed, hit the pole, and then hit two other cars. There is a video too...kind of an amateur newscast.
    https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/news/driver-suffers-minor-injuries-in-single-vehicle-crash-in-halifax-100620432/
    One witness says most people don't obey the 50 speed limit, assume 50 kms which is about 30 mph.

I wonder if the insurance company will argue about whether to total the vehicle or not. lol

I've been wondering whether the body damage in that accident would be less severe in an EV since there is possibly more protection from the structural and horizontal battery layout

bwia said:

I've been wondering whether the body damage in that accident would be less severe in an EV since there is possibly more protection from the structural and horizontal battery layout

Can you imagine having batteries split open and scattered down the street like the engine was? Not to mention what would happen if there was a fire and they couldn’t put it out. I hear it takes 50,000 gallons to put out a battery fire.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I hear it takes 50,000 gallons to put out a battery fire.

Of what? Water is the wrong choice for extinguishing a battery fire.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@imidazol97 said:
    I wonder if the insurance company will argue about whether to total the vehicle or not. lol

Not if they use @andres3 as their new adjuster. B)

jmonroe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2021
    qbrozen said:

I hear it takes 50,000 gallons to put out a battery fire.

Of what? Water is the wrong choice for extinguishing a battery fire.
    Sometimes that’s all they’ve got. I hear the Tesla manual specifically says to use water, not foam. Go figure.

ab348 said:

Do insurance companies pay damage claims as a result of reckless driving or excessive speed?

If they didn’t, no one would ever get paid.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Sometimes that’s all they’ve got. I hear the Tesla manual specifically says to use water, not foam. Go figure.

I’d be willing to bet a fire department doesn’t give a s*it what the Tesla manual says. Safety comes first with them.

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50 said:

There is an entry in the manual “if your battery ignites.” ?? That would be surprising. Pretty sure none of my cars have had that in their manual. Not that I go looking, so I could be wrong.

Googled and found this manual for emergency workers.
    They do suggest water. And they say it could take 10k gallons. That’s nuts.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

More bad news. This zombie just won’t die.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/infrastructure-bill-floats-national-mileage-181500769.html

Anybody have a spare stake?👹👹👹

qbrozen said:

Googled and found this manual for emergency workers.

They do suggest water. And they say it could take 10k gallons. That’s nuts.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_S_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

Well 10k gallons is a lot less than 50k gallons so that’s good news. :o

edited August 2021
    BMW i4 (Expected: Late 2021)

Looks like a Pontiac of yore but reincarnated as an electrified BMW 4 series.
    "The next model in the electric sub-brand has far more conventional styling, as it's intended to be similar to the 4-series Gran Coupe four-door hatchback. The i4 comes standard in rear-wheel drive with a 335-hp electric motor and an 81.5-kWh battery pack.

The EPA estimates range around 300-mile mark, and BMW says it can get to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds. That version starts at $56,395. An M-badged model, dubbed the M50 starts at $66,895 with all-wheel drive and an additional electric motor for a combined 536 horsepower. It should go on sale sometime in 2021." source: Car & Driver.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

Almost all collisions are due to extreme or at least significant negligence.

Very rarely is it truly an Act of God or some other unavoidable "accident." If they started excluding "reckless and/or negligent" that'd be every claim.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@oldfarmer50 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/infrastructure-bill-floats-national-mileage-181500769.html

I want to say something but the moderators would have a fit.

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Go for it. They left for the weekend and put me in charge. B)

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,058
    jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

jmonroe

Uh, no.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

Got the results of the lumbar CT Scan - herniated discs at L2/L3, L3/L4 and L4/L5. My back is a mess! I can’t walk more than 200-300 feet with a cane without stopping due to the severe pain.

Going to see an anesthesiologist sometime next week to try injections of steroids into the disc areas to reduce swelling. If that doesn’t work, I am in worse trouble because a surgeon is not going to operate on my back with my poor health history.

At least on the brighter side of my life, I don’t have cancer - yeah!

2021 Genesis G90

The injections can deteriorate the tissues leading to further problems.

There was a radio-therapy treatment with a needle like an injection that was done to damage the nerves
    causing the pain so the pain was reduced until those nerves healed over
    months. It worked for my wife but not as well as the cortisone.

https://www.proactivespine.com/blog/spinal-epidural-steriod-injections-in-the-not-so-good-news#:~:text=The anti-inflammatory effect of,of soft tissues to bone.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited August 2021

Oh boy. The quote on the website says epidural steroids were associated with immediate reductions in pain and function. Seriously, it says immediate reductions in function.

" Epidural corticosteroid injections for radiculopathy were associated with immediate reductions in pain and function [short term pain relief]

There are also a lot of other typos on the website. Confidence inspiring. :)

mjfloyd1 said:

Oh boy. The quote on the website says epidural steroids were associated with immediate reductions in pain and function. Seriously, it says immediate reductions in function.

There are also a lot of other typos on the website. Confidence inspiring. :)

So you’re saying that a medical degree makes you smarter than the internet? Well, now I’ve heard everything. :o

I didn’t say that.

Dr Google can tell you whatever you want to hear. My wife had back pain and googled it and was convinced that she had two cancers. The CT showed facet arthritis. That’s just one spot in time as CTs or MRIs can show unsuspected things as well. Typically if it sounds like a horse, it is a horse and not a zebra.

Asking a chiropractor if epidural steroids are good will probably be non productive since chiropractors do not place epidural steroids.

The opposite can be true if you go to a physician that is “needle happy”.

If all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail.

I’d suggest going to someone that you trust and follow their advice.

For some people, epidural steroids are great and they get long lasting relief with a couple of injections. For other people, there is no pain relief (and increase in functional capabilities).

You just need to decide what is right for you. What is right for me may not be what you want and vice versa.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Over these past 20 or so years, I've had epidurals, facet blockers, burned nerves & a battery implanted in my butt to power the tens unit plus narcotics all to help me walk. Tried those fentynol patches but after about 9 hours, I had to take it off as the dizziness and nausea were unbearable. I was totally out of control and never used them again! Without my cane, I'm in trouble. And I've been in spasm for almost 2 weeks now...leave it to say, I'm miserable. I've got herniated discs in my lower back and in my neck, so suffer from chronic pain which Mike & OF's wife can tell ya ain't no fun. It changes one's life plus also effects the family to. I even tried accupuncture and cupping last year but it really did nothing and felt zero relief from those sessions.
    I take opiads in ER and IR doses just so I can function in life and hold down my job. But they also have their drawbacks to be honest. Unfortunately, surgeons I've seen over the years tell me surgically, there's nothing they can do to fix it all. I just do the best I can. I try not to let the constant pain rule my life but I know when to take it easy and rest. This last spasm episode has gone on longer than normal and I realize the numerous in/out I do at my Toyota job is making things worse. It's making it less enjoyable to go in and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be there to be honest.
    Luckily, I'm a very optimistic sort, always "half full" if you will, which does help. A positive mindset is very important with chronic pain I've found. I pray to G-d every day for the strength to get through another day & it seems to be working. I'll know when it'll be time to give up the shuttle job & I'll also know when to give up the Enterprise gig also...that time just hasn't come yet for either. Though I don't see being at Toyota much past the new year, even that long, if these spasms don't subside anytime soon!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@jmonroe1 said:

@snakeweasel said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

jmonroe

Well there goes the neighborhood.

Anyway think of the tollbooth scene in "Blazing Saddles".

@abacomike said:
    Got the results of the lumbar CT Scan - herniated discs at L2/L3, L3/L4 and L4/L5. My back is a mess! I can’t walk more than 200-300 feet with a cane without stopping due to the severe pain.

Going to see an anesthesiologist sometime next week to try injections of steroids into the disc areas to reduce swelling. If that doesn’t work, I am in worse trouble because a surgeon is not going to operate on my back with my poor health history.

At least on the brighter side of my life, I don’t have cancer - yeah!

@mike, so sorry to hear that you have severe back pain. If the pain is so intense walking short distances with a cain, I can't imagine how you sleep at night other than in a prone position.

Six months ago I considered taking an epidural steroid injection but at the last minute I changed my mind. Instead I went for four weeks of physical therapy but that did not work. Finally, I was prescribed an oral steroid tablet and the pain has since long gone. It turns out it was hip rather than back pain.

While back surgery and chemical treatments do work. Sometimes a simple remedy like driving less or no driving for a while can help ameliorate the pain. In short, the best thing you can do for your back is to stay away from those soft leather car seats.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I almost badged a knucklehead today; I was driving the 2er to work in the in a 45 mph zone when a C6 passed both me and the car behind me at a speed of 80 mph or better- on a blind uphill corner. He almost ran an oncoming car off the road in the process. He got held up behind some slow traffic shortly thereafter, and if I had not had an early appointment he and I would have had a roadside discussion...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive