Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    qbrozen said:

y'all are failing to keep on top of me about my signature. lol. Just now updated.

We are driving the heck out of this Jeep. Over 800 miles already.

Finally managed 800 miles?! Congrats!

I think I've put nearly 7,000 on my Q7 since you picked up the forksy.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850

@kyfdx said:
    By "inverter", does he mean heat pump, instead of a straight A/C unit?

That’s what I was thinking. Probably a smart idea for the fall/early spring to take the chill off in the mornings without needing to fire up the boiler.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    What does he mean by "inverter." Is that a heat pump variation, the version that changes compressor and blower speeds with demand load?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Where is Jenny’s number?

I have yet to find stickers that will work and don’t cost a fortune

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

What does he mean by "inverter." Is that a heat pump variation, the version that changes compressor and blower speeds with demand load?

Exactly.

Right on the money as well @tjc78 .

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    nyccarguy said:

Exactly.

Things to consider:

Your duct work was put in specifically for A/C, right? Is the vent location conducive to heating? If the vents are in the ceiling, or high up on the wall, I wouldn't bother with trying to heat through them.

Heat pumps, while basically the same thing as an A/C unit, tend to have a lot more problems in the winter vs. your A/C unit in the summer. If your heating system is good/efficient, it might not be worth the hassle for a heat pump. In any case, you'll still have your baseboard heating. It isn't like you'll be able to get rid of it.

Your latest guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. But, what changes are possible in duct work, that is already inside the walls?

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@nyccarguy said:
    Exactly.

I thought flux capacitor :)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited August 2021
    In my idle thoughts I think about replacing my convertible with something newer and with a standard shift. I looked at Mustangs and those prices are through the roof even for miled up or modified examples. I remember someone mentioned that the only way to not get hosed on a car purchase in this environment is to go with something that wasn’t in high demand by collectors or enthusiasts.

I came up with this:
    https://rochester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/adams-basin-2007-mitsubishi-eclipse/7348913341.html

They were looked down upon when new (as was the Chrysler Sebring) but the hardtop I owned was flawless in my 7 years of ownership. A comparable Mustang would be at least twice the price. The GT version was fun to drive.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I love it. If I was already up there would look at it for my summer car. Assuming it’s clean and checks out on a PPI. go buy it, and when you get tired of it let me know!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@nyccarguy said:
    So I have a very good customer that is an HVAC guy. He came up to my house tonight to have a look at my A/C. What to replace it with. How to make it cooler and more efficient. He told me my condenser was shot, my air handler was facing the wrong way, and my duct work is not sized properly. He made some suggestions to me regarding the duct work, placement of the supply vents & returns. He also explained to me why he would make things different. He also suggested an inverter that would give me some heat before I really need to crank up the baseboards.

He took measurements & is going to give me a price tomorrow.

Is that your wallet I see wide open and empty? :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Now we know what the “replace the Pilot” fund is going to!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    jmonroe1 said:

Is that your wallet I see wide open and empty? :'(

jmonroe

I was wondering where those moths came from. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 said:
    I was wondering where those moths came from. B)

Too bad moths aren’t acceptable currency in the USA. :(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Maybe someone already posted this...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37243326/jeep-wrangler-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-price-increase/

Way to go group...single-handedly affecting the market pricing of a car model.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

The Sunset Orange 2019 M2 that was for sale at a Louisville dealer in May is now at the BMW Store- priced at around $3,000 more. Initially it was a BMW Corporate car; I suspect that the two people who owned it afterwards found it to be too small or too hardcore for their tastes- or they could also have been the dreaded wearers…

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@breld said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37243326/jeep-wrangler-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-price-increase/

And to think there were doubters that this site didn’t have manufacturers lurking in here. I guess that myth can dispelled now.😫

jmonroe

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    breld said:

Does this make me an Influencer? If so my teenager might actually be impressed with something.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    edited August 2021
    @au1994,
    Only if you have a TikTok or IG. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@au1994,
    Only if you have a TikTok or IG. ;)

Well that counts me out! I loathe both of those. Too many times I watch him stare blankly at his phone, swiping away.

@au194,
    I hear you brother!
    mjfloyd1 said:
    The midsized trucks could certainly work. I’m really more interested in the bed than towing (I may never do that!). But I can’t see getting a FS PU or a large SUV.

A ranger or frontier? Sure. Ridgeline are nice too. All just a foot longer and a lot more expensive!

breld said:

Sounds like a couple of guys just got a $3k flip profit.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Mine had the first price increase. I at least avoided the latest price increase

The Sunset Orange 2019 M2 that was for sale at a Louisville dealer in May is now at the BMW Store- priced at around $3,000 more. Initially it was a BMW Corporate car; I suspect that the two people who owned it afterwards found it to be too small or too hardcore for their tastes- or they could also have been the dreaded wearers…

Wait, it wasn’t selling at one dealer so they just moved it to another and bumped the price? Is the second dealer in a more affluent location? Do they really think that the market for that unique of a car wouldn’t be following it’s travels and are now even less likely to consider it?

I am constantly amazed at how dealers work so hard to not sell cars.

@mjfloyd1 said:

Read the fine print, it’s retroactive until delivery. :'(

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

jmonroe

Already verified price protection thankfully

@mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

jmonroe

Already verified price protection thankfully

I could have sold you a service if you didn’t do that. Are you sure you don’t want double protection? ;)

jmonroe

I’d only do it if I had quadruple protection

edited August 2021

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Wait, it wasn’t selling at one dealer so they just moved it to another and bumped the price? Is the second dealer in a more affluent location? Do they really think that the market for that unique of a car wouldn’t be following it’s travels and are now even less likely to consider it?

No, somebody-I suspect a “wearer”- bought it in May in Louisville and then traded it in August to The BMW Store in Cincinnati.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@oldfarmer50 said:

No, somebody-I suspect a “wearer”- bought it in May in Louisville and then traded it in in August at The BMW Store in Cincinnati.

Or there are people just like @breld out there.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Took this picture, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@mjfloyd1 said:
    I’d only do it if I had quadruple protection

Sure, why not. You didn’t remind me of the type that would go for an ADM upgrade package. Send the check via Edmunds quick delivery check service.

Thanks.

jmonroe

My son built an Alpina B8 on NA’s configurator and suggested I click the “Order” button. Only $139,900.
    I have to think about it.

edited August 2021

My son built an Alpina B8 on NA’s configurator and suggested I click the “Order” button. Only $139,900.

That’s actually less than I expected for an Alpina.

C’mon…2 kidneys are highly overrated.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

YOLO
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    @oldfarmer50,
    Sometimes cars are kind of unsaleable, so they move from one dealer to another.
    It may just need a specific customer.
    I watched this Lincoln Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark video today.
    Had high hopes because I knew it was going up for sale.
    Current owner bought it from an auction site over the phone and it has 3 different white/pearl whites on it from what I see.
    Video sales guy is trying to sell it, but you can tell he doesn't feel good about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9iwqlHutM

@roadburner said:

Yeah right. You didn’t think anymore about it than I did when Son #1 came to a dealers lot with me to buy a car in 1986 and he saw a year old Vet he thought would be just right for him when he graduated HS the following year. He was even willing to forgo my expense for his up coming Penn State tuition. He was a very thoughtful kid. Things have changed since.

jmonroe

edited August 2021

@oldfarmer50,
    Sometimes cars are kind of unsaleable, so they move from one dealer to another.
    It may just need a specific customer.
    I watched this Lincoln Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark video today.
    Had high hopes because I knew it was going up for sale.
    Current owner bought it from an auction site over the phone and it has 3 different white/pearl whites on it from what I see.
    Video sales guy is trying to sell it, but you can tell he doesn't feel good about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF9iwqlHutM

The three different color whites on it would turn me off (those paints were hard to match) but that’s a nice looking survivor. It had the newer headlights which were better than the previous design which dimmed out over time. 23k miles is pretty good. Air ride still works which is nice but with a traction control problem I’d be discounting heavily.

Those are starting to become collectible but that one is just a driver. It would make a nice bopping around car but $5k would be all the money.

@oldfarmer50,
    Hoovie bought his 89K miles car(perfect body) from this guy for $4500.
    What do you think this one is worth?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    IIRC the late run Mark VIII was the first American car to have xenon lights.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    kyfdx said:

Took this picture, today

Say whaaaaaaat? Regular is $3.179 at my local.
    edited August 2021

@oldfarmer50,
    Hoovie bought his 89K miles car(perfect body) from this guy for $4500.
    What do you think this one is worth?

I paid $3250 for my 95’ Mark VIII in 2013 with 67k miles. Even with the sketchy paint job it should be worth $4-5k with that low mileage. I really enjoyed driving mine and that one has the higher performance LSC 4.6L 4 valve.

I’d discount for the TC issue. Check to see if repair parts are available before you buy.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850

@fintail said:
    IIRC the late run Mark VIII was the first American car to have xenon lights.

Yep

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Good news, no more coolant leak with the Audi so we're more than thrilled. Next week, she'll hopefully be calling T P about new sneakers as the time has come to tackle that issue, finally!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Finally got some good seat time behind the wheel of a Rav4 today and liked the way it drove. Plenty of power out of the 2.5 liter engine and liked the way it drove. Ergonomics were spot on and even though the infotainment center was their standard unit, could live with it. Just hoping the new Corolla Cross drives almost as well and I'd be getting an XLE unit with the JBL audio system so it should give me the upgraded sound I'm looking for. A moon roof would be great but not a must have, a want really. Biggest concern right now is how it'll fit on my side of the garage. Think it'll make it with enough room front & rear to work. Right now, it's really the only vehicle I'm interested in though if necessary, the CH-R could work with the right alloys and audio system. But we're going to stay positive here and pray the C C fits with no issues!
    And if not, will just keep the Golf a bit longer but don't think that'll be necessary!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

Took this picture, today

Say whaaaaaaat? Regular is $3.179 at my local.
    It’s possible that station is out of business. 😉

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

Yeah right. You didn’t think anymore about it than I did when Son #1 came to a dealers lot with me to buy a car in 1986 and he saw a year old Vet he thought would be just right for him when he graduated HS the following year. He was even willing to forgo my expense for his up coming Penn State tuition. He was a very thoughtful kid. Things have changed since.

jmonroe

I was kind of surprised that my son likes the M2 Comp over a Supra 3.0- but he thought the Challenger Sct Pack Widebody and Camaro ZL1 1LE were both "bad*ss."

@kyfdx said:
    It’s possible that station is out of business. 😉

That reminds me of the old story about when a woman went to the local butcher shop to buy ground meat that was advertised as being on sale for 69 cents a pound. When she got there the butcher said he was out of it. Disappointed she left and went to the butcher shop down the street. She asked how much he was charging for ground meat. He said, “89 cents a pound”. Upset she said, “Joe’s butcher shop is only charging 69 cents a pound.” Not wanting to argue with her he said, “then why don’t you buy it at Joe’s” ? She arrogantly responded, “because he’s out of it. That’s why”. The butcher replied, “oh, when I’m out of it I only charge 39 cents a pound”. :s

jmonroe

If I thought that the used car market would remain this volatile I’d pick up a Supra 3.0- knowing I could flip it without any financial consequences if I didn’t fall in love with it.